Nadesico Fan Fiction ❯ A Day in the Life . . . ❯ Morning . . . ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A day in the life . . .
by ShadowWolf75

well, let's see here . . . this is a day or two in the life of one of the few female technicians on the Nadesico. She's older than most of the girls on the ship, has no interest in Akito whatsoever (in fact she thinks Akito is an idiot), and doesn't particularly like Yurika, since the captain is a total ditz . . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------- -------

My alarm clock went off as usual, at 7:00 AM. Yawning, I got out of bed and switched the alarm off, then changed into the standard pale blue mechanic uniform all the other assorted techs and mechanics had to wear. Personally, I thought I looked better in purple, but I'm a tech and that's what I have to wear . . . I gave my hair a brief brushing, glaring at the white streak in my otherwise perfect dark brown hair, then headed out the door.

It was way too early for me to be coherent enough to cook my own breakfast, so I wandered down to the galley to see what Ms. Howmei and the girls had to offer. The smell of cinnamon was wafting down the hallway from the galley, and I smiled dreamily as that usually meant there were cinnamon buns waiting . . .

I got to the galley and was quite pleased to find Howmei and her fellow cooks had made enough cinnamon buns for the entire crew. Another dreamy smile graced my lips as I headed over to get my usual spiced coffee and a cinnamon bun. Having gotten breakfast, I sat down at one of the tables to eat. As I took a bite of my cinnamon bun and washed it down with a swig of coffee, I took a look around the room. The only people that really had to be up that early were the command staff, my fellow techs, and the cooks, so there wasn't too many people there yet.

A bunch of the other techs were at their usual table, but Seiya had yet to join them. I looked back at the line and saw him getting his usual coffee. He walked over to the techs' table with a magazine in hand and sat down. From the reaction to the magazine as it got passed around the table, I figured it either had to be a Victoria's Secret catalog or the latest issue of Mad Scientist Monthly . . .

I snickered slightly, then resumed looking around the room. At the opposite end of my table, I noticed Admiral Munetake had just sat down. Now there was one of the most unappreciated people onboard this ship of fools! If you wanted to get technical, he was the UEF's 'leash', making sure we didn't try anything like going to Mars again. For that reason alone, most of the crew hated him. Personally, I didn't think he was all that bad. After all, we had nearly gotten massacred on Mars, and he was there to keep us from pulling any similar stunts.

Munetake looked at least as tired as I was, yawning mightily before taking a sip of his coffee. I noticed a pile of computer printout on the table in front of him, most likely our new orders. He was probably awake way before anyone else on the ship, discussing said orders with his superiors over a secured comm channel.

"Good morning, Admiral," I said, wanting to be nice.

He wasn't quite paying attention and muttered, "That depends on your definition of good . . .", before blinking and looking over at me. "Huh? Oh, I'm sorry; I was a little distracted there. Good morning, um . . ."

It looked like Munetake didn't know my name. Not that I expected him to know, but still . . . "Luna. Luna Akari."

"Well then, good morning, Miss Akari."

I heard snickering nearby and looked up to find Seiya and the other techs watching me. Seiya stood up and pointed in my direction. "Hey Luna, if you like men in uniform so much, you should come over and sit with us!"

I smirked a bit before I replied. "If you boys respected women as much as you do your machines, maybe I would sit over there with you. But as that's not the case . . ." I trailed off, leaving Seiya to sputter indignantly. Don't get me wrong, they did respect me enough since I'm a fellow tech, but they saw nearly all the other women on the ship as prizes to be pursued and won.

I heard soft laughter again and looked over at Munetake; he was snickering at my comeback. I smiled at that; the Admiral was one of the few on this boat that had a point of view similar to mine. Love and loyalty had burned us one too many times . . . sarcastic as all hell to hide our deepest pains, we trusted no one but ourselves. Gah, sounds like something outta that Gekigangar anime . . . but then the whole Gekigangar thing seems to be a recurring theme around here. I wonder why that is?

I pondered that for a moment, then ate the rest of my cinnamon bun and finished off my coffee. I told Seiya that I was heading for the Aestivalis hangar and that I'd meet him down there. He muttered in agreement and I left my table, threw the paper cup my coffee was in into the nearest garbage can, then I left the galley.
--------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Well, how do you like it so far? Reviews would be nice but aren't required . . . that little box is right down there, though. Now that you're down here, you might as well use it, ne?