Nadesico Fan Fiction ❯ A Day in the Life . . . ❯ Evening . . . ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A day in the life . . .
by Shadow Wolf75

Sorry for the wait, but it's taken me a while to think up something for this chapter! Whoever said about the use of the word 'boat' in reference to the Nadesico, yes, it's crew slang. Okay, it's evening on the Nadesico now, night shift's taken over and the day shift is doing recreational stuff or going to bed. Luna isn't quite tired yet, so she's wandering the ship in search of something to do . . .
--------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

5: Evening . . .

I yawned slightly in boredom as I walked the corridors. I wasn't really tired at the moment, and I'd watched most of the anime I own at least three times while I've been on the Nadesico, so I looked for something else to do. Sure, walking around the ship was something to do, but it was getting boring really fast.

In a while, I found myself at the rec area, where Prospector and Jun Aoi were playing table tennis against each other. Jun looked somewhat irritated and Prospector was his usual smug self . . .

"I still can't believe she wouldn't pick me over that damned frycook! What the hell does Yurika see in him anyway?" Jun growled as he spiked the ping pong ball towards Prospector.

Prospector parried the ball back at Jun with ease and replied, "The same thing half the girls on this ship do, apparently. And really, I thought you'd gotten over this by now, Mr. Aoi . . ."

Deciding that watching those two play would be more interesting than walking around the ship anymore, I went over to them. "Hey guys! So, playing table tennis and arguing about Tenkawa, huh?"

Jun looked slightly insulted. "Arguing? Who's arguing? We're just discussing Akito like civilized adults . . ." Jun said before whacking the ball back at Prospector again.

I smirked at this, and I'm pretty sure Prospector did too. "Sure thing, Jun, you just keep telling yourself that. So what happened this time; did Yurika drag Akito off somewhere as opposed to doing something with you?"

Jun sighed as he caught the ball, then put it and his ping pong paddle down on the table. The game could wait until he said what happened. "Well, I saw Yurika cooking in the galley, then she took whatever she made to Akito's quarters . . . I bet they're in there right now watching Gekigangar together while he tells her what a great cook she is!"

I blinked, twice. "Yurika cooked for him again?" I snickered a bit but stopped myself from laughing hysterically. "Heh, I was wondering where that agonized scream came from earlier . . . if anything, Akito's probably in Sickbay right now, begging Fressange to either give him antacids or to just put him out of his misery! Don't glare at me like that, dammit, you know Yurika can't cook worth crap."

Jun continued to glare. "She just needs practice! Besides, it's the thought that counts, isn't it?"

Prospector chose that moment to add his two cents. "He does have something of a point, Ms. Akari."

"Yeah, I guess. But still, Yurika's just too crazy for Akito . . . she hardly even notices you anymore, Jun. Maybe you oughta try for one of the Howmei Girls or something--" I began, but Jun cut me off.

"It doesn't matter; I love Yurika and that's all there is to it. I might not be able to have her all to myself anymore, but I can still love her, can't I? Don't you have anyone you care for like that?" Jun asked of me.

"Hrm, there's a tough one." I stopped to think it over for a moment. "Well, I guess Seiya counts . . . I've known him practically forever and we're good friends. But there were times I might have wanted something more from the relationship . . . then he got married and that was the end of that! I can't have him, but I guess I do love him in a way. As for the more traditional kind of love, at the moment I'm not sure I have anyone in mind . . ."

Even as I finished saying that, I thought of Admiral Munetake for some odd reason. I pushed the thought away for the moment . . . after all, any affection I'd dare to show him would be seen as pity instead, considering his standing with the rest of the crew. Munetake would never accept it, I know he wouldn't. Besides that, there's our ranks to consider; he's an admiral with the UE and I'm just a damn mechanic working for Nergal. It would never work out . . .

I was finally getting tired then; I said good night to Prospector and Jun and let them get back to their game and their own argument. I went to my quarters to get some sleep, but little did I know all hell was about to break loose . . .