Naruto Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Since When Do Heeros Have a Sense of Humor? ❯ Adventures with Authority ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5
Disclaimer: I own nothin’ and no one, except ‘Mina. Suing me is a waste of time better spent elsewhere. Any character resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely deliberate and pre-decided- hey wait a minute…
*~*~*
Armina paused at the fork in the road and pulled out her map. It was a good map, with clearly labeled roads and cities. It wasn’t helping her much at the moment.

“Can you guys read that?” She asked, pointing at the sign at the fork. Heero came up beside her, peered at the map, peered at the elderly sign then back again. Kiba reared up onto his hind legs and did the exact same thing that Heero had done. Two and a half days of care and rest had done wonders for the once-injured wolf; his paw was now completely healed. The healing power of the Bish Ball hadn’t hurt either, even though Kiba declared the thing claustrophobic and therefore evil. His balancing act at the moment only proved how he had completely recovered his health.

None of this was helping the trio in translating the road sign from weathered gibberish into a legible language of course.

“I think it says Llamgib, but llama or MIG is just as likely.” Heero said, glaring at the sign. ‘Mina turned to Kiba, a little desperately.

“I’m afraid that I’m getting about the same thing from it.” Kiba sighed. “Sorry”

“I was afraid you guys were going to say that.” ‘Mina said. She crouched down and lay the map on the ground. “Okay, Heero and I came from here, Erac, and we took this road, so we should be about here, right?” Heero crouched down next to her on one side while Kiba lay down on the other while they discussed where they should be and where they should go to reach their next destination.

Kiba had fit in with Heero and her rather nicely after he had been caught. There had been none of the fights that ‘Mina had been half dreading between him and her first Bish. It turned out that Kiba had an extremely mellow personality, his aggression and wariness before had been a product of his injury. Plus the fact that I’m a Trainer and he didn’t want to be caught at first. But now that he was caught, his lupine nature had him behaving as a good follower of the pack and he obeyed the pack leader, ‘Mina, without question. Well, not without question, but he is obeying my requests with no argument, which is more then I can say for Heero.

“So we’re agreed, we go left.” ‘Mina declared after the debate was finished. It hadn’t been that hard once Heero had plotted out the path they had taken. Once they started walking again, ‘Mina returned to her reflection on how well Kiba had fit in with Heero and herself. He was a good fighter too, although not quite as strong as Heero. They had gotten into two battles, one against a Trainer with a Wufei and a Sosuke, Heero had trounced them both, and against a Trainer with a Gene Starwind and an Aisha Clan-Clan. Gene had fallen to Heero and Aisha had eventually fallen to Kiba after a tougher battle. During both of those battles, Heero and ‘Mina had learned something useful, Kiba was able to sniff out strength. He could tell with one whiff whether or not he or Heero was going to win or lose against the opponent and after how tough a battle. An ability that was more then a little useful when setting gambling odds.

“Okay, how is we didn’t hear the right direction?” Heero asked suddenly as they reached the crest of a hill, and looked down.

“I have no idea, but you have valid point. Kiba?” ‘Mina asked after she winced at the sight and sheer size of the crowd before them.

“I’m as baffled as you two, the only thing I can think of is that the wind’s blowing the wrong way. I can’t smell that horde even now.” Kiba responded calmly, save for the ‘horde’ part. ‘Mina noticed however, that the wolf’s ears were flattened. Not that ‘Mina could blame him.

“Well, I guess we should go down and see what’s up with all those people.” ‘Mina said, striding forward. Heero and Kiba followed.

“Probably a guard booth.”

“Guard booth?” ‘Mina asked Kiba, very surprised.

“Yeah, bigger cities usually have them for protection.” Kiba answered.

“Protection? Why would they need that?”

“What, you can’t expect this world to be free of crime can you?” Heero asked his shocked Trainer. “That’s kinda stupid if you think about it.”

“Well yes… but the Orientation Professor said… …That was foolish of me wasn’t it?” ‘Mina confessed sheepishly.

“I’m afraid so.” Kiba said softly as he moved closer to her side in a definite guard dog position as the neared the crowd. Heero moved to her other side, his face becoming more serious. Seeing her Bishies’ protectiveness, ‘Mina felt torn between exasperation and being very touched. The last time someone had looked after like this was her father…

‘Mina shook her head free of such thoughts and approached the nearest Trainer, a young man with long, blonde hair tied back in a loose braid, wearing worn-to-shreds clothing. “Pardon me, but would you mind terribly telling me what the heck is going on here?” she asked politely. The young man she asked turned around and both Trainers then gaped in shock for a moment.

“Armina!? Is that you?”

“Eugene?! Oh my god! I can’t believe it! It’s so good to see you!”

“How the heck did you get here? How long have you been here?”

And other nonsense babbling ensued as the two asked questions too quickly to be answered. Four Bishonen watched in confusion.

“Well, that was unexpected.” A Yusuke said, grinning at a miffed looking Heero and a patient looking Kiba.

‘Mina looked over at the cocky looking Bish standing next to an equally cocky looking Ranma.

“You have no idea. Eugene, sorry Virgil, disappeared about a month before I moved and I had no idea what happened to him.” She turned back to Eu- Virgil, grinning, “I guess this explains what happened to ya’ huh?”

“Yup, but- you moved? Why? I thought your folks would rather live in a trailer park then leave the Central Coast. And slit their wrists before kick you out for that matter.” Virgil asked. A weird expression passed over her face for a brief moment before she beamed at the group.

“It’s a long story, I’ll tell ya’ later. Besides, I guess you could call coming here a big move, couldn’t ya’” She said, then before any questions could be asked- “So what’s going on here anyway? This is an awfully long line to just get into town.

“Oh that,” Ranma answered, “It’s a check booth, makin’ sure everything’s the way it should be. That be no prob’ but the guard’s a dick.”

“Dick and a half you mean.” Yusuke added. He turned to the new-comers, “Ran-kun and I did reconnaissance and the idiot’s throwin’ his weight around and harassin’ everyone, ‘specially girls, sorry to say.”

“Well, that’s a pain,” ‘Mina said, “and no Heero, you may not go up there and change the guy’s mind for him!” She added sharply, shooting a glare at Heero who had sidled away a little. Heero snapped to attention and glared back at ‘Mina.

“What? You can’t suspect that I would do something so foolish, can you? I was just shifting, that’s all!” He said, the essence of indignation. “Besides, would I do such a thing?”

“Yes, gleefully.”

“How could you? I’d never-”

“Bull. And Kiba, don’t you go anywhere either!” ‘Mina said sharply. Kiba, in the process of stalking into the bushes, jumped and cast a glance full of innocence over his shoulder.

“I wasn’t doing anything. I was uh- just going to uh- use the bushes?”

“That had better be it.” She growled, then glared at her friend and his Bishies. “What are you guys laughing about?” She asked the cackling Bishies and gaping Trainer.

“How- how did you get you Heero and Kiba to loosen up like that?” Virgil asked. He was Otaku enough that, like ‘Mina, he expected a certain kind of attitude out of the Bish. Yusuke and Ranma were just as they were supposed to be, but Heero and Kiba had obviously deviant personalities in comparison to the way they were supposed to be.

“What can I say, all of my friends have issues, present company not excluded. Oh the line’s moving finally” ‘Mina said. The group shifted, then nodded a greeting to a new addition to the line, a Lina accompanying a…. troll? Maybe not, but that guy certainly looks like he has orc blood, or something. He’s huge! And maybe I’m being judgemental but I don’t think anybody’s home even though the lights are on. Still, the big, blocky person was obviously the Trainer, since the only other person in evidence was a Clone Lina, a tiny little scrap of a Bishoujo, perched on the giant’s shoulder.

“So, how do you like this place so far?” Virgil asked suddenly. That started ’Mina and him on a long conversation about the new world that lasted them to the check booth. There, they both realized just how much of an asshole the guy was. Virgil had a Sasuke as well as a Ranma and Yusuke. But since the Sasuke didn’t like crowds, and especially didn’t like the Sakura that had accompanied another Trainer farther up in the line, he had hidden in his Bish Ball. Voluntarily. But from the way the guard had acted you would have thought that Virgil had been deliberately torturing the Bish. Sasuke had had to come out and loudly defend his Trainer before they were allowed to move on. Then it was ‘Mina’s turn.

“Says here you have a Heero and a Kiba.” The rat-faced man said in a rather nasally voice as he looked at his hand-held screen. It was attached to ‘Mina’s Dex by a cord, allowing the individual to view ‘Mina’s name, Trainer status, her Bish and their status and other supposedly vital details. ‘Mina was unsure as to whether or not she wanted this rodent to view her information.

“Yes, I have a Heero and a Kiba.” She said in as neutral a tone as possible.

“Humph, where’s your Kiba? You ain’t inhumanely restrainin’ him, are ye’?” The rodent leered.

“I most certainly am not, Kiba is right here.” She said, placing a hand on the growling Kiba’s head.

“Humph, tha’s just an over-sized dog, and unlicensed to boot. I’m gonna hafta write ye’ up fer that as well as torturing’ your Kiba if ye’ don’t show him to me.”

“She did show him!” Heero growled, just as incensed as Kiba but still capable of speech. Kiba was snarling too hard, and was being restrained by ‘Mina, to speak on his own behalf, “Kiba’s in his wolf-form you twit! You call yourself an official and you don’t know that!?”

“Looks like I’m also going to hafta write ye’ up for improper trainin’. Your Heero’s too uncivil to be allowed to walk around fre- Hey! Get outta there!” The rodent shouted as the Lina with the troll-Trainer grabbed a huge book out of the check booth.

“My, my, would you look at what’s here? A book with all the current Bish and their forms.” The Lina drawled, her right eye twitching slightly. “Wow, it even has alternate forms that any given Bish may take. It also has Wolf’s Rain’s Kiba in his human and wolf form.” She said, turning the book, “Take a look, the artistry is amazing.” There, plain to see for everyone present, was a picture of a black-haired, blue-eyed Bishonen and a white furred, gold-eyed wolf, both under the name of Kiba. The impatient crowd was making it’s displeasure at the rodent guard clear. So did Kiba, who slipped out of ‘Mina’s grasp and body-slammed the idiot, unable to do worse then that thanks to the restraints placed on him.

The ass wasn’t about to let ‘Mina and Lina off that easily, thanks to that .

“How dare you set your Bish against me?!” the insult to cute rats and mice everywhere shrieked, “And how dare you go into my private booth and lay your filthy, lower-class hands on government property?!” He grabbed both of the girls by the arms and shook them, making them cry out in hurt and surprise. Heero and Kiba lunged forward, now able to use whatever force necessary to protect their Trainer. They weren’t the only ones, Yusuke, Ranma and Sasuke were also advancing to help their Trainer’s friend. All that advancement proved unnecessary however.

“Stupid rodent man hurt pretty girls!! Uh-Mu smash stupid rodent man!!” Bellowed, or perhaps ‘roared’ would be the better term, the giant troll-like man that Lina was accompanying. He had had a huge club the size of a medium-sized tree trunk strapped to his back and was now applying it with skillful abandon, much to the distress of the rodent check-point guard.

“Whoa, big fella. Stop it!” Lina cried as the rodent let go of her to get the hell out of the way. Getting out of the way sounded good to ‘Mina as well, she latched onto Heero and Kiba and dragged them away as the two-footed wrecking ball plowed his way through to get at the idiot-in-office. The pitiful little Check Point Booth became a pile of kindling in the wake of the giant.

“Uh-Mu, you big lummox, stop it now!” Lina yelled again.

“Yeah, stop it, I can’t hold on!” came a tinny voice from the rampaging giant’s shoulder. The mini-Lina, ‘Mina realized with a touch of hysteria. The rodent ran for his life over the next hill and out of sight with the giant following while everyone stared in shocked disbelief. Sasuke jogged up to the crest of the hill to watch.

“Oh, shit! They’re coming back this way!” Sasuke yelped as he scrambled back towards the crowd. Somehow, by some method that would be debated endlessly at a later point, the guard passed Sasuke and headed straight towards Lina and ‘Mina.

“You! You bitches! You set this beast on me!” The idiot screamed as he raced towards the two girls. He came close enough to ‘Mina that he reached out to try to strangle her. ‘Try’ being the key word.

Heero did a jump-spin kick and improved the fool’s face by break his nose for him. The obnoxious one collapsed to the ground, blood streaming out his of his crushed nose.

“Nice work Heero.” ‘Mina said as Lina proceeded to poke the unconscious one with a stick.

“Well, I had to protect my Trainer.” He said with pardonable pride.

“Uh-Mu smash!!”

“Uh, I don’t think this is over.” Kiba said as the giant charged towards them, still flailing his club. Heero sized up the…man?… carefully before leaping into action. With a charge of his own, Heero gained enough momentum to jump up high enough to deliver a couple of kicks to Uh-Mu‘s chest, then, as Heero fell, several swift punches to the giant’s gut. That caused the giant to hesitate. Heero took advantage of that to crouch and give the blocky chin of the giant a doubled kick. After that Heero flipped out of the way to asses the situation. The giant stood there for a moment, looking puzzled, but otherwise unfazed. Heero started to curse about that when the giant keeled over backwards, knocked unconscious. The thud that came with the fall would have put a Sequoia giant redwood to shame. Heero’s thud, when he sat suddenly, was far less dramatic

“Is he allowed to do that?” Virgil asked the girls, “I mean, that is a Trainer… right?” ‘Mina didn’t stick around to answer, but instead rushed to Heero’s side to check on him.

“Yes,” Kiba answered, “he was protecting his Trainer from a perceived threat, as I would have done if Heero had moved less swiftly. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” Kiba rushed off after his Trainer to check on his friend.

“Uh, okay?” Ranma asked, scratching the back of his head, then hastily moved out of the way as Lina completed her poking to stalk over to Heero. The three Bish and their Trainer blinked after her, then all but Sasuke started to poke the guard while the Ninja sweat-dropped and hung his head.

Lina, in the mean time, smacked Heero on the back of the head. Hard.

“Itai!! What in the name of the ancestors was that for!?!” He demanded sharply.

“That was for kicking my Trainer, which is totally inexcusable, regardless of the fact that you had legitimate cause.” She said loudly, “I mean, you just don’t go around kicking Trainers unconscious, even though I was about to knock him out myself. It’s utterly unheard.” the sorceress was starting to warm to her subject. “So you were protecting your own Trainer, you still can’t expect me to just let you do whatever you want without doing something about it and-” her grand speech was suddenly blocked out by sirens and, distracted and intrigued by them, Lina wandered off, leaving three dazed people in her wake.

“Does she like to talk or what? Ouch…” Heero asked, rubbing the back of his head.

“She’s a Lina alright. Are you okay?” ‘Mina said, concerned.

“I think I twisted something, kicking that guy. Are you sure he’s a Trainer?” The last was said towards Kiba. The wolf sniffed in the direction of the felled Trainer.

“Not really, no.” Was all he got to say before an officer, much nicer looking then the last guy, approached them, asking if she could ask them some questions in a very polite tone. Seeing as they were going to be treated well, ‘Mina stood and gave the officer her full attention and cooperation. Still, this may take a while, she thought as the lady-officer started asking about what exactly had started this incident.