Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ Academy Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

More Than Anything
By: Kiba/KibaSin
 
Summary: Uchiha Sasuke has one last mission while in the Academy: make Higurashi Kagome acknowledge him, love him, and one day become his wife. Unfortunately, it is much harder than it sounds. [Sasuke x Kagome; Naruto/Inuyasha]
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Inuyasha. I merely gain self-accomplishment from writing this.
 
Genre: Romance/Drama/Angst/Humor
 
Rating: T
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Note: For this piece, the Uchiha clan was never destroyed.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
He glanced up, again, and noticed that she was still sleeping. She remained blissfully unaware of his stare, as her hair framed her face and kept Iruka-sensei from noticing her lack of attention. She appeared completely relaxed, and he smirked slightly at the sight, since most shinobi would have awakened while underneath such an intensive stare. The fact that she did not made his ego swell just a bit more.
 
She shifted a bit after a while. He bit his tongue in that moment, as her eyes seductively fluttered open, revealing her dark blue eyes. He knew that the fluttering of her lashes was unintentional, but he did not care. The movement was alluring, her eyes were beautiful, and the tiny yawn she gave afterward was just so damn cute.
 
His decision cemented itself further into his mind, as he turned his attention back toward Iruka-sensei. He weaved his fingers together and settled them just underneath his nose in a thoughtful pose. He knew it would be hard, considering she had never acknowledge his existence before, but he was positive he could do it. And his father might disprove of what he planned to do, but nothing could deter him from his course.
 
Uchiha Sasuke planned to have Higurashi Kagome. No one could stop him; no matter how hard they tried. It was as simple as that.
 
Chapter One: Academy Life
 
Nar-u-to,” she hissed, stressing the name. “Give it back.”
 
“Who do you think sent it?” the blonde smirked back, toying with the little card attached to the rose. Only the name Higurashi Kagome was sprawled on the paper, heightening the mystery of who might have given such a thing to his friend. “Do you think it might have been Hyuuga Neji?”
 
From his position in front of them, Uchiha Sasuke's eyes narrowed.
 
“No!” she growled. “Now give me the damn flower!”
 
“But I thought you said you didn't want it,” Naruto teased.
 
“Well, whoever sent it made a very nice gesture and it is only polite of me to keep it,” she frowned. “So, give it back!”
 
“Nuh uh!” Naruto shouted, leaning back. The rose remained just out of Kagome's reach, even as she tried to grab it. He smirked at his victory, until her hand slammed deep into his stomach and the air escaped rapidly from his lungs. She lunged in that moment, grabbing onto the anonymous gift, and retreated with it back in her possession.
 
“Ah ha!” she shouted back, clutching the rose like a weapon. Her eyes zeroed in on the plant, though, and she squeaked a little when Naruto looked at her from beyond the red petals. “Look at what you did!”
 
“W-what?” Naruto blinked.
 
“You ruined it!” Kagome cried. She thrust the poor flower into her friend's face, showing off the broken stem and bruised petals. “Now whoever sent it is going to think I'm a jerk!”
 
“Oh, come on, Kagome,” Naruto grinned. “No one could think that.”
 
“Oh no?” she frowned. “Taisho Inuyasha thinks I'm an ungrateful bitch—!”
 
Sasuke's eyes darkened, but he made sure not to draw attention to himself. He merely stiffened a little at the term, angry that someone would think such a thing, and continued to gage Higurashi Kagome's reaction to the small flower. He had placed it on her desk before anyone entered in hopes she would take a liking to the tiny, romantic gesture and acknowledge that someone was vying for her attention.
 
“—And you know what?” she growled. “That's your fault, too!”
 
“Hey,” Naruto growled back. “How was I supposed to know that that day would be the day he decided to help you with your taijutsu?”
 
“You shouldn't have been wandering around the village transformed as me in the first place!” Kagome huffed, whacking him on the side of the head. He pouted afterward, and she sighed in defeat. “Though, it's great that you've finally managed to hold your transformation jutsu for that long.”
 
Naruto grinned. Then, he turned his attention back to the flower Kagome continued to twist between her fingers. “So, really, who do you think gave you that flower?”
 
She shrugged, “I don't know.”
 
“Come on!” Naruto whined. “Do you think it was Neji? It's got to be Neji. After last year, I'm surprised he's not in here every day asking you to marry him.”
 
The other shinobi-in-training turned to look at them, and Kagome sank down into her seat a little more. She glared at the blonde next to her, saying, “You know that Neji was just being silly, Naruto.”
 
“Neji being silly?” Naruto laughed. That was the most hilarious thing he had heard all day. “You're out of your mind if you think that Hyuuga could act silly. That stick is lodged way too far up his ass for him to—”
 
Slapping her hand over his mouth, Kagome giggled nervously. Her glare intensified, as she said, “Shut up, will you. People are beginning to stare.” The twinkle in his light blue eyes made her suspicious, and she suddenly ripped her hand away with a cry. More people turned to look at them, as she cried, “Ew! I can't believe you just licked my hand!”
 
“Well, I've got a point to make!” Naruto smirked. “You might not have meant to kiss him—!”
 
She squeaked again, wishing there was a hole somewhere she could hide in. Naruto was so loud that everyone was looking at them, including Iruka-sensei, and most of Neji's fan club had turned to glare heatedly at her. They clearly hated her, but she swore it was an accident. There was no way she could have known Neji was coming up to see Hinata at the same moment she tripped, nor could she have anticipated the moment they slammed into one another and locked lips!
 
“But he sure as heck meant to send you all those—!”
 
Again, she slammed her hand over his mouth, crying out, “No one needs to know about that, Naruto!” This time, she shuddered and endured his tongue sliding over the palm of her hand.
 
Another kunoichi, clearly glaring at her, snapped, “No. Let him continue, Kagome-chan. I want to know what Neji-sama sent you.”
 
Naruto ripped himself away, turning to the girl. “It was—”
 
“Nothing!” Kagome practically screamed. She tackled him from behind, grabbing a fist full of his hair and shoving his face into the floor. Naruto grunted from beneath her, while she dug her knees into his back, and grinned madly. However, a shadow swept over the two of them at a surprising speed and she stiffened.
 
Uzumaki Naruto.” He did not sound happy. “Higurashi Kagome.”
 
Looking up from beneath her bangs, Kagome smiled innocently at Iruka-sensei. “Oh, Iruka-sensei!” she stated sweetly. “Is there something you needed?” She hoped that he would cave beneath her innocent look, but his brow only twitched a little harder.
 
“What have I told you two about violence in my classroom?” Iruka exploded.
 
Sensing the danger, Naruto threw Kagome from his back and scrambled up the remaining steps to the back of the classroom. “RUN!” he shouted back, throwing open the door and rushing out.
 
Uzumaki Naruto!” Kagome screamed, using a surprisingly flexible move to escape Iruka-sensei's grasping hands. She sailed over a few desks, barely stuck the landing, and scrambled to open a window. Iruka-sensei nearly grabbed onto her ankle as she did so, but she managed to slam the window open and sped out of it toward safety.
 
Sasuke watched her disappear, sighing a bit at the stupidity of the entire situation. He glanced back over his shoulder at the innocent, bruised rose left lying on her desk and cursed Naruto for having distracted her to the point he could not gage whether she truly appreciated the gesture or not. That had been his only mission for the day, yet it seemed that he would have to try again.
 
As Iruka-sensei yelled out the window for the kunoichi to come back, since lunch was nearly over, Sasuke wondered briefly why he had chosen Higurashi Kagome to be the recipient of his affections. However, a quick glance to his left, where Haruno Sakura and Yamanaka Ino—the presidents of the Uchiha Sasuke and Uchiha Itachi fan clubs—sat staring at him, he knew the reason.
 
Higurashi Kagome barely acknowledged his existence, acted as if there was no such thing as an Uchiha clan, and that made her interesting. Her beauty, intelligence, and position in life only cemented the deal. There was simply no other girl that could ever fill the future role of his wife, so she would just have to accept it.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“It can't be a coincidence,” a girl whispered from behind them the next day.
 
However, Kagome and Naruto merely continued to stare at the small, silver cat charm resting on Kagome's desk. The same white tag was attached to the little chain, with the neat Higurashi Kagome sprawled on the paper. Naruto narrowed his eyes at the piece of paper, before glancing around the room. “Damn it, I want to know who keeps giving you these things,” he stated.
 
Yamanaka Ino, having stolen Haruno Sakura's spot next to Uchiha Sasuke, glanced up at them. She smiled a little, saying, “I think it's sweet! Whoever keeps giving you those things must really like you, Kagome!”
 
The Higurashi blushed, lowering her head a little. “I-I'm sure there's just been some type of mistake, is all,” she replied.
 
“It has your name on it,” the kunoichi behind them sneered.
 
Kagome glanced behind her, noticing that it was indeed the same Hyuuga Neji Fan Club member that had not only glared at her the day before, but also shrieked up a storm when the incident happened. She considered herself the best of the best in Neji's fan club, and clearly hated her. Not that there was any love lost there.
 
“I still think its Neji,” Naruto muttered. “It has to be.”
 
The Hyuuga Neji Fan Club member's glare became scolding hot.
 
Kagome put her head onto the desk, staring at the little cat that stared back at her. Pouting, she said, “They could just be—”
 
“Kagome,” Ino huffed a little. “As much as I don't like agreeing with Mizuki—” there was no love lost there, either, “—she's right. It has your name on it. The person couldn't have spelled Higurashi Kagome if they meant to write something else. Not only that, but it wouldn't be on your desk if that was the case.”
 
“But why would someone give me something like this?” Kagome sighed. She simply could not figure out why someone would want to give her roses or charms or anything. Most people did not like her because she decided to hang around Naruto, and a lot of the others simply overlooked her because she was not from one of the powerful clans in the village.
 
“I-I think it's cute, K-Kagome,” Hinata called from the back of the class.
 
“Tch,” the boy next to her—Inuzuka Kiba—said. “I think it's dumb. Whoever the guy is, he should just come out and say he likes you. He's probably just some coward that can't admit that he likes you, so he hides behind those little tokens of affection.”
 
Sasuke twitched visibly. He was not—
 
“Hey,” Kagome leaned over her desk, and watched as the Uchiha's head whipped in her direction. “Are you alright, Sasuke? You looked like you were going to fall out of your chair there.”
 
Ino bristled a little, but calmed herself down. She was more of an Uchiha Itachi follower, and she really did not see any reason for Kagome to stay away from Sasuke. And even if there was a rule that no one outside the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club could have him, Ino liked the Higurashi girl. She would be willing to let that one slide, considering she was the fan club president.
 
Sasuke could feel Kagome's hot breath on his face from their close proximity, and closed his eyes. He easily made it seem like he was ignoring the girl, despite his need to suddenly lick his lips. “Tch, I'm fine,” he muttered, turning his head away at last.
 
It was hard not telling her what he wanted from her. He knew that would scare her off, though, since Kagome was not the type of girl that would suddenly jump at the chance of becoming his girlfriend or spending the rest of her life with him. No, he needed to find something, anything, that would steal her heart out from under her nose and then she would be his for the taking.
 
Sakura huffed, saying, “I don't see why you even asked that question, Kagome. Of course there's nothing wrong with Sasuke-kun. He's the best shinobi here.”
 
“Don't be mean, billboard brow,” Ino growled. “Kagome was just being nice by asking Sasuke-kun if he was alright.”
 
“Don't tell me what to do, Ino-pig!” Sakura hissed.
 
As the verbal fight broke out between the two kunoichi, Naruto tugged at Kagome's sleeve. He grinned when she leaned back to look at him, and stated, “I got it!”
 
“What?” Kagome asked. She blinked in curiosity, since Naruto sounded so sure of himself.
 
“It was Kiba!” Naruto shouted, turning to point at the boy.
 
“What?” Kiba cried, laughing a little. “No it wasn't!”
 
Yes,” Naruto nodded many times, “it was! It makes perfect sense now! You gave Kagome that flower and this charm, but said all that crap about the person being a coward to throw us off!”
 
The Inuzuka glared, saying, “It wasn't me, idiot.”
 
“Of course it—” Naruto blinked, “Kagome?”
 
“Naruto, I don't think it was Kiba,” Kagome said.
 
“But—”
 
“Kiba is a dog person, Naruto,” Kagome began slowly, allowing the information to sink into his head. Then, she picked up the charm and showed it to him. “This is a cat. Probably a nin-cat from the looks of this vest it's wearing.”
 
Naruto narrowed his eyes, glancing up to the boy. He did have that growling little mutt on his head, Akamata or something like that. However, his eyes still narrowed, he turned to look at his friend. “But—”
 
“Why would a dog person give someone something that looks like a cat?” Kagome asked.
 
“To throw you off the trail,” Naruto stated.
 
The rest of the shinobi-in-training broke out in laughter, and Kagome knew it was directed at Naruto. She glanced up, resisting the urge to glare at them after the harsh speaking to she had gotten from her mother the day before, and sighed. “Naruto, a dog person wouldn't give someone a cat charm.”
 
“Yeah!” Kiba called. “If I was gonna give her a charm, it'd look like Akamaru. Right, boy?” The small, white dog on his head barked in response to his question. And it was very clear that if Kiba had given the charm to Kagome, it would have looked exactly like Akamaru.
 
“Ugh,” Naruto slouched in his seat. “Iruka-sensei!”
 
“Hm, what is it, Naruto?” Iruka asked from his position at the front of the class. He was actually surprised that so many of them had stayed inside, again, during lunch. However, as long as they were not causing too much trouble, he supposed he could handle it.
 
“Do you know who gave this—” Naruto snatched the charm from Kagome's hand, “—to Kagome?”
 
Iruka sighed. Of course he knew. However, the glare currently directed at him told him that it would be best not to even answer. “No, Naruto. Whoever put it there must have done so while I was out of the room this morning.”
 
“And the flower yesterday?” Naruto frowned.
 
Iruka shook his head, saying, “I'm afraid not.”
 
“Dang it,” Naruto grumbled. Then, it hit him. “Brilliant!”
 
“Naruto?” Kagome asked.
 
“I told you, Kagome,” Naruto grinned. “It has to be Neji! Who else but the great Hyuuga prodigy that is so totally in love with you could have put not one, but two items on your desk without Iruka-sensei noticing? Though, it is a little weird that he would suddenly start using this tactic after sending you all those—”
 
“I told you not to talk about that!”
 
“Higurashi Kagome!” Iruka growled. “Keep your voice down!”
 
Mizuki leaned forward in her desk, saying, “No, no. Don't listen to her, Naruto-kun.” She batted her eyelashes. “I want to know what Neji-sama gave her.”
 
“Eh?” Naruto blinked in surprise. “It was only like two dozen—”
 
“Shut up!”
 
Higurashi Kagome!” Iruka raised his voice.
 
“I'm sorry,” she whimpered underneath Iruka-sensei's voice. “But I don't want Naruto to tell them!”
 
Naruto blinked at the pitiful sight Kagome suddenly made, putting her head onto the desk in front of her. She looked like she was ready to slam it against the hard wood, so he patted her back. He received a growl at the action, but was not deterred. “Ok, ok. I won't tell them if you don't want me to, geeze,” he sighed.
 
“Thank you,” Kagome lifted her head. Then, noticing that Naruto was staring intently at the charm he was holding, she twitched. “Hey, give that back to me.”
 
“Not until I figure out whether or not Neji gave it to you,” Naruto replied.
 
“Oh, I don't think so,” Kagome growled. “You'll just ruin it like you did the flower yesterday.”
 
“No, I won't!” Naruto huffed. “Besides, it's not like I could—” He held it between two fingers, and began pressing them together. “Look, this thing is like made of—”
 
Kagome smacked him hard enough that the charm flew from his hand. She jumped to catch it, her eyes zeroing in on the little charm meant for her, and was surprised when she also smacked Sasuke in the back of the head. She caught the little charm, but the Uchiha reached up to touch his damaged head. “Oh, I'm so sorry—”
 
“Sasuke-kun!” Sakura cried. “Higurashi Kagome, how could you do such a thing?”
 
Naruto grinned a bit as he rubbed his cheek. “Heh, and they call you a prodigy, Sasuke? You didn't even move!” he laughed. He suddenly stiffened as a lot of the girls turned to glare at him. They could get scary at times and that moment was definitely one of them.
 
Sasuke resisted the urge to insult Naruto. Only knowing that Kagome would stare at him disapprovingly stopped him from doing so. Instead, he said, “You got hit too, Naruto.”
 
“Yeah, but—”
 
“Don't argue with him when he's right,” Kagome snapped. She protected the little charm when Naruto turned to look at her, knowing that any chance he got he would take. And she did not plan on having him snatch it away again. Then, after she gave him a scolding glare, she returned her sight to the damaged Uchiha. “I really am sorry, Sa—”
 
“Don't talk to him!” Sakura screamed. “You just hit him, you have no right—”
 
“Shut up, Sakura,” Ino growled. “She's apologizing.”
 
Sakura seemed to realize how rude she looked when Sasuke glanced at her, and bowed her head. “O-oh, I'm s-so—”
 
Ino rolled her eyes. It seemed that Sakura got worse with each day, unable to make Sasuke notice her. She tried everything she knew, but the Uchiha continued to look the other way, and Sakura's little heart just could not take it. And, as much as it hurt Ino to know her old friend-turned-rival was hurting over such a thing, she would not help her. Not when Sasuke and Itachi's hearts were on the line.
 
“I'm fine,” Sasuke muttered, catching the Higurashi's eyes. The shining blue glittered in happiness, as she clipped the small charm to the thin chain resting around her neck. And Sasuke was content to watch her in that moment; despite the fact he was probably giving himself away.
 
Higurashi Kagome, though, remained oblivious.
 
“I'm glad!” Kagome smiled just for him.
 
Sasuke sighed, as he turned his head away. Despite the smile, he had gained enough information from his first plan of action to know that the gifts were nice, but not enough to give him what he completely wanted. So, it was definitely time for his second plan of action.
 
Naruto pouted, staring at the little charm until Kagome opened her shirt and dropped it inside. He growled a little, saying, “I still think it's from Neji.”
 
“And I doubt it!” Kagome grinned back.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
KibaSin: I started writing this on a whim (though I was supposed to be typing up the rough draft of my essay). I'm trying to see if I can manage to write up 50,000 words in a month to determine whether or not I'm going to participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) next year. But, I'm still a iffy with the story, since I know I try to do something completely different from everyone else. So, I'd really like to hear your guy's thoughts on it.
 
Kiba