Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ A Small Gesture ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twelve: A Small Gesture
 
“—and, due to the circumstances behind the assault, you will be suspended from attending the Academy until the graduation date. You will, of course, still be placed onto a squad, but you will also be monitored for a period of six months afterward in order to make sure that this event does not happen again. Do you understand, Uchiha Leiko?”
 
Uchiha Leiko's scowl deepened, while she kept her dark eyes focused on the carpet lining the Hokage's office. “Yes, Hokage-sama,” she stated, speaking only when she was spoken to. It was, after all, expected of her with her father standing nearby with the famous Uchiha frown plastered on his face.
 
He was clearly displeased with her behavior.
 
Her father just did not understand. She needed her cousin to notice her, even if it meant getting rid of those that might stand in the way, and he should at least be proud that she developed the need to obtain what she wanted by any means necessary. But, no, her father did not care. He was proud only when she did what he wanted her to do.
 
“You have, essentially—” the Sandaime Hokage was not happy with the decision, but the Elder Council demanded he give the talented Uchiha a light punishment due to the fact no people were hurt, “—halted any progression in your squad. You will not be allowed outside of the village, nor will you be allowed to carry any weapons. And, if need be, chakra restrains will be placed to make sure you are not a danger to yourself or others.”
 
Her father shook his head for the millionth time.
 
“I hope that you can live with that in the future, Uchiha Leiko,” he continued.
 
The Hokage's sentence struck deep, and Leiko's fingers immediately clenched into a fist.
 
“I can assure you, Hokage-sama, that my daughter,” her father sneered in her direction, “will never disgrace this village in such a fashion again.”
 
The Uchiha girl lowered her head, allowing her dark colored locks to shadow her eyes completely. She knew that her father would be watching her closely from now on. He would monitor every action that she took, every step that she decided to make, and make sure that those who were assigned for the task were doing the job correctly.
 
Yet, Leiko also knew that her father would eventually be drawn away from his self-appointed mission. He would decide that she had been watched enough, that she would follow every rule he had set, and return to his pervious way of life. He would stop watching her, eventually, just as those appointed by the Hokage would stop watching her, and then, she could show that blasted Higurashi her place in the world. Teach her a lesson. Show her that Sasuke would not always be able to come to her aid.
 
“I will make certain of that.” Her father gripped the back of her chair tightly. His anger nearly caused the wood to buckle, Leiko noticed, but she really did not care.
 
She would relish the day she could act freely. The day she could finish what she started by removing Higurashi Kagome from Sasuke's heart. The day she could break the little non-Uchiha.
 
Yes, it would be glorious, and already she could taste it on her tongue.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Kagome!
 
Eh?!” the girl squealed, barely given time to brace herself as her blonde friend attached himself to her arm. She quickly sighed, though, when she realized that she was still on her feet after the impact.
 
Naruto grinned happily, shoving his arm into his best friend's face. “Look, look, Kagome! A medic-nin checked my arm this morning and said that it's perfectly fine now. Not even a scratch from that damn Uchiha's lousy fire technique!”
 
“That's wonderful, Naruto, really it is, but—” she was much more concerned with her health at the moment, “—one of these days you're gonna give me a heart attack!
 
The shinobi-in-training shoved her away, as her voice screeched in his ear. “Ah, damn it, Kagome!”
 
Naruto!” Kagome's dark blue eyes widened, as she teetered on the edge of her sandal. Then, as misfortune took hold, she found herself toppling over and landing on the hard, unforgiving ground.
 
“You didn't have to scream in my ear!” he finished, clutching his poor, throbbing appendage. Having closed his eyes, he did not even realize that the Higurashi girl had hit the dirt. But, even subconsciously, he shivered when he realized that she was beginning to glare at him heatedly.
 
Her mouth twisted into a deep scowl, as she snarled, “Nar-u-to.
 
Ugh.” Naruto stiffened. He cracked an eye open, noticing she was on the ground, and nervously laughed, “H-hey, Kagome, when'd you get on the ground?”
 
“When you pushed me, that's when!” Kagome snapped. “Now, either help me up or I'll—!?!”
 
I'm helping!? I'm helping!?” the boy cried. He knew the tone of her voice all too well, and he did not want to become her slave once more. Never again would he pull weeds—or those prickly things!—if he had anything to say about it! So, as fast as he was able, he grabbed a hold of her hand and pulled her up onto her feet once more.
 
Dusting herself off, Kagome was a bit amused by Naruto's refusal to relax after he helped her up. He really did not want to find out what or would lead to. But, though it amused her greatly, she decided to reassure him. “Thank you, Naruto,” she grinned.
 
“U-uh, right, you're welcome.”
 
“I'm happy about your arm,” she smiled. Yet, when he sent her a skeptical glance, she added, “Really, I am. I just didn't expect you to jump out of nowhere while I was walking to the Academy.”
 
“But, Kagome, I do that all the time,” Naruto quickly pointed out. He was, after all, the master of disguise. He had managed to scare her quite a few times since they began the Academy together. “What were you doing, daydreaming?”
 
Frowning at the way he drew out the word, Kagome shook her head in denial. She had not been daydreaming. Yes, she might have been drawn back to the memory of fire licking up the side of Uchiha Sasuke's face and giving him an eternal look, but she was not daydreaming, damn it! And, just to make sure Naruto understood that fact, she firmly stated, “No.”
 
“Uh huh,” Naruto grinned. She was totally daydreaming. “But, please, Kagome, enlighten me as to why you're face is getting all red?!”
 
Turning her face away from him quickly, Kagome snapped, “Shut up! My face is not red!”
 
“Yes, it is!” Naruto snickered. “All around here—” he empathized by drawing circles on his cheeks, “—and, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were blushing.”
 
“W-well—” desperately, she tried to vanquish the image that refused to leave her mind and failed, “—then it's a good thing you know better!”
 
Definitely.” Naruto cheered silently to himself, while his friend began to glare at him once more. This was perfect! He, Uzumaki Naruto, had done the impossible! He had made the most oblivious girl in school, his best friend, Higurashi Kagome, notice a boy! Admittedly, that boy was Uchiha Sasuke, but now he had something to really rub in the Uchiha's arrogant face!
 
Because, really, he never would have done it without him, Naruto! In fact, he should be praising his name, preferably out loud, to the heavens! He should be thanking him, bowing at his feet, and admitting that he never could have accomplished such a feat without his help!
 
“Naruto?” Kagome called, catching her friend's attention.
 
“A-ah, yeah?” the blonde laughed. Had he gotten that caught up in his little fantasy?
 
Finally, the Higurashi girl shook her head, stating, “Nevermind. I don't want to know.” Then, with determined steps, she began her journey to the Academy once more. Hopefully, this time, she would manage to make it there without someone pouncing on her when she was not paying attention.
 
Defensively, Naruto shouted at her back, “Yeah, well, at least I'm not going all weird and blushing when someone asks a simple question!”
 
The dark haired girl stopped, stiffening.
 
That's right, I said it!” Naruto grinned. Maybe, just maybe, he could get her to admit that she had been thinking about Uchiha Sasuke when she started to blush. “You were blushing! You know you were, you just want to deny it and say that you weren't! Because—because you don't want me to find out that you've secretly decided to accept Neji's proposal and—!?!”
 
Slowly, Kagome turned on her heel. Her eyes alone, dark and shadowed by her hair, made the blonde shinobi-in-training stop talking as a very visible shiver swept through his body.
 
Praying, Naruto remained perfectly still. He might have taken the situation a step too far, now that he thought about it.
 
Snorting at last, the Higurashi spun on her heel once more and returned to her brisk walk. She refused to be seen walking with an immature, insensitive, know-it-all jerk that seemed to believe he could read her mind. Besides, even if she shouted the real reason that her face had heated up, she doubted that he would believe her.
 
Naruto just would not understand!?!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Hey, Kagome, what are you looking at?”
 
“Nothing, why?” the kunoichi-in-training asked.
 
Naruto blinked at her. Then, he stated, “Well, I just happened to notice that your head snapped up when Sasuke-teme asked to go to the bathroom. And, I might have noticed that you haven't stopped watching the door since then. So, would you care to enlighten me as to—?”
 
“No, Naruto, I would not,” she huffed. For once, she wanted to keep her business, her business. And, despite the fact that she really did like Naruto as a friend, the topic was not one she was going to discuss with him.
 
Oh, well—” she was so lying, “—I just thought that, maybe, since, you know, he saved you yesterday from Leiko, you might have wanted to thank him or something. I mean, that would explain why you keep watching him, right?”
 
Stiffening at the tone he used, she hissed, “Are you implying I couldn't have saved myself, Uzumaki Naruto?”
 
Ah.” Naruto resisted the urge to hide. “No.”
 
“Good.”
 
“From what I have heard,” a person called out from behind them, “there were quite a few that went after you, Kagome. You could have beaten quite badly. Though, then again, they were a bunch of Uchiha followers.”
 
“She started it!” Sakura shouted, bristling in her seat. “So, just shut your mouth, Mizuki!”
 
Oh? And, pray tell, Sakura, just how did Kagome start your little fight?” Mizuki sneered. She would have loved to hear that the Higurashi girl had beaten quite a few of the members in the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club to a pulp. Not only would she not have to listen to them for a while, but Kagome might have also been told she could never be a kunoichi. And that, truly, was what she wanted to hear, since then Neji would definitely fall at her feet.
 
“She's trying to steal Sasuke-kun, that's how!” Sakura hissed back.
 
“How many times?!” Kagome muttered darkly. She had not been—!?
 
“Oh, be quiet, Sakura,” Ino huffed. “You and I both know that you were the one that started that fight.”
 
“I would never—!” Sakura tried to defend herself, but Ino cut her off.
 
“That's the exact reason why Leiko's not here!” Ino finally snapped. “She thought that just because she's an Uchiha, she wouldn't get into trouble, but she was wrong! She did get into trouble, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sandaime-sama decides to make her wait a long time before she can officially say she's a kunoichi!”
 
The rest of the classroom began to whisper. They had known that Higurashi Kagome was the reason Uchiha Leiko had not come to class, but they curious and wished to spill every little detail that they knew about the battle.
 
Immediately, every member of the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club stiffened. They refused to budge from the idea that they were innocent. Yet, they also refused to speak about the fight when people tried to ask them what really happened. And that, truthfully, told the rest of the class that they had started the fight and were now in denial because of their precious Sasuke.
 
“Don't talk about Leiko like that, traitor!” Sakura still could not believe that Ino had chosen Kagome over Sasuke. What was wrong with her?!?
 
“I'll talk about Leiko how I want to!” Ino snarled. Oh, she knew exactly what Sakura was thinking. She had chosen Kagome over Sasuke, but only because she liked the girl and she now realized that she would be good for the Uchiha boy. Besides, she had Uchiha Itachi anyway! “Besides, I might be a traitor to the Sasuke fan club, but at least I'm not a traitor to this village, billboard brow!”
 
Sakura's mouth fell open, and she gapped for quite some time. Then, suddenly, she exploded with, “Ino-pig!?!
 
The rest of the Academy students instantly leaned in closer, whispering after Sakura's outburst. They were rather surprised that Iruka-sensei had not come flying down the hallway in order to quiet the commotion, but they were thankful for the moment to discuss the latest development happening before their eyes.
 
“This is—” Naruto was about to continue, when a conversation caught his ear.
 
“Yeah—” a boy across the aisle clearly did not realize that almost the entire class could hear him, “—from what I hear, Sakura's only freaking out because after Sasuke saved Kagome, she thanked him by kissing him. Tongue and everything.”
 
“Damn, lucky bastard,” the boy next to him said.
 
What?!?” Kagome did not even wonder where that rumor had come from. All she knew was that she wanted it gone. Right that instant!? Because, though her face was beginning to heat up with the thought of doing such a thing, she would never dream of doing such a thing just because someone helped her.
 
“No!” Mizuki felt her mouth drop open. “Why would anyone ever betray Neji-sama for an Uchiha!?!”
 
Suddenly, with Mizuki's shout, the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club began to speak.
 
“I told you she was a witch—!” an Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club member began.
 
“She's seeing them both! That's just awful, don't you think?” another fan girl gasped.
 
“I heard that after she caught Sasuke-kun in her web, she went to see that blasted Hyuuga!” one sneered. “It's disgusting!”
 
What!?! What!?!” Kagome was ready to explode. How dare they say that she had—!?!
 
That's enough!?” The classroom hushed, surprisingly, as Ino stood on her seat. “I was with Kagome, and so was Naruto, after the fight! She did not kiss Sasuke, and she did not go run off to see Hyuuga Neji afterward!”
 
Naruto nodded vigorously, despite the fact he was leaning away from the fuming Higurashi girl next to him. “Yeah! We walked her home!”
 
“She still could have—!”
 
“Oh, shut up, Reina!” Ino snapped.
 
Then, the room went silent, as the door swung open. Even Ino, standing on her seat, froze when she realized that it might be Iruka-sensei finally coming to yell at them. Though, she did find it a little odd that the door had not bashed against the wall in anger.
 
Uchiha Sasuke stepped inside, and the Academy students gave a collective sigh of relief.
 
The Uchiha boy's dark eyes scanned the room thoroughly afterward, though it appeared that no one was willing to talk. And, he was a bit surprised when they all turned away from him and ignored the glare he sent in their direction. What, he wondered, had he missed?
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“You want me to what?” There was absolutely no way he was going to make a fool out of himself for the other boy's amusement. No way. And it did not matter how many times he growled out his demand or told him how successful the plan would be, because his decision was the same. No, no, and, oh yes, no.
 
You—” Naruto pointed at the Uchiha, “—are going to give this—” he pointed at the flower in his hand, “—to Kagome!”
 
“In public?” Sasuke asked, skeptical. If he did not know any better, he would say that the blonde's current plan was another one of his pranks against the Uchiha clan. Seriously, what did the idiot expect him to do? Kneel down on the ground in front of her and present her with the flower like some love-struck fool?!
 
Yes!” Naruto huffed in annoyance. The arrogant Uchiha was just so stubborn suddenly. “It's the only way that she'll know you're serious! I mean, yeah, she has started to notice you—!”
 
“Wait, what?” Sasuke stopped him.
 
“You haven't noticed?!?” Naruto screeched. “You mean to tell me that you didn't notice the way she was all dazed and blushing while we were in class!?! She absolutely refused to talk to you, hell, about you, and you didn't notice?!? Where were you looking, you—you pervert!?!”
 
Hey—!” Sasuke snapped. He was not a pervert.
 
Gah!” Naruto flung his unoccupied hand through the air. “You're worse than Neji and his blasted Byakugan!”
 
Immediately, the Uchiha boy snarled, “How dare you—?”
 
But, we don't have time for that!” Naruto made sure to glare at the dark haired Uchiha. He had not realized he was pushing Kagome in the direction of an actual pervert, otherwise he might have thought a little more about his decision to help him. “You need to give this flower to Kagome. You only need to tell her that it's for her, nothing more and nothing less.”
 
Staring the idiot in the eye for a moment, Sasuke finally reached out to take the dark purple flower. Despite the fact that the blonde irritated him beyond belief, his ideas were, apparently, having an affect on Kagome. And, in the end, that was all he really cared about. So, really, why should it matter if the entire village would soon be gossiping about him, Uchiha Sasuke, giving a flower to her, Higurashi Kagome?
 
“Ok!” a grin flashed across Naruto's face. “Now, we have to find Kagome! She'll probably be somewhere in the market, since her mother usually sends her off around this time of the week to pick up groceries!”
 
Sasuke nearly rolled his eyes. He had known that.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Wait, wait, wait!”
 
Almost immediately, Uchiha Sasuke followed Naruto's finger and found that he was pointing at Higurashi Kagome. Who, he noticed, was surrounded by a swarm of women trying to find the best deal on apples or whatever else they were buying. Subconsciously, with the discovery, his hand clenched around the flower the blonde idiot insisted he carry and give to the girl in a show of affection.
 
It figured.
 
Grinning, Naruto fisted his hand before his chest, asking, “You understand what you've got to do, right?”
 
“Yes,” Sasuke growled, but nodded.
 
And, you understand that you only need to say four little words, right?” the other boy continued.
 
“Yes,” Sasuke replied, again.
 
And! you understand that you actually need to give her the flower instead of choking up, right?” Naruto stressed. He wanted to make sure that every little detail was followed to the exact, because he did not want another failure due to Sasuke's loose tongue. Seriously, last time, he only had to ask her on a date!?
 
Yes.” Did the idiot think he was stupid?
 
Glancing over the Uchiha's face with a critical eye, Naruto finally nodded. “All right,” he said, “now all you have to do is go down there and—” His head swung in the direction of his friend, and paused at what he saw. Squinting his eyes, he asked, “Is that Neji?”
 
The Uchiha boy's eyes hardened with the mention of the Hyuuga's name, as he sought to find out for himself. And, indeed, there the blasted Hyuuga stood. Next to Kagome, almost touching her, and the pit of his stomach twisted at the way the Hyuuga's hand lifted and fingered the little nin-cat charm hanging around her neck.
 
Kagome appeared to ask a question, and much to Sasuke's pleasure, she took a step backward. In the process, the Hyuuga's hand fell away from her delicate neck and rested once more at his side. Where it belonged, and should stay, unless the Hyuuga was fond of the idea of it being cut from his wrist.
 
“Huh, that's odd,” Naruto muttered.
 
Curious, Sasuke asked, “What is?”
 
Eh?” Naruto seemed to realize that the other boy was still standing next to him, as he shrugged. “Oh, well, Neji isn't usually that forward. He likes to talk a lot, but I've never seen him try to touch Kagome or anything that she possesses.”
 
The Uchiha narrowed his eyes. He had known of the Hyuuga affection for Kagome for quite some time, but he had not been aware of that little fact. And, the fact that he was becoming more forward, now, really started a deadly, twisting fire in Sasuke's chest.
 
He immediately smirked, though, when he realized that Kagome did not seem to be giving into the Hyuuga's attempt. In fact, now, she seemed to be trying to turn it away. She did not want to have his gaze upon her, because if what Naruto had said was true, she wanted him, Uchiha Sasuke, to glance at her in such a way.
 
Though anger still coursed through his veins, Sasuke felt his pride swell. Kagome would be his soon enough. She would give him her love, her affection, and then he would make sure that the damn Hyuuga understood, even silently, that she had given it to him. Freely. And, the day she agreed to be his forever, he would love to see the look upon the Hyuuga's face.
 
Watching the object of his affection, the Uchiha boy slowly felt his anger die and his determination rise. His hand tightened around the flower he held, though his grip was not tight enough to break the delicate stem. Because now, having seen Hyuuga Neji trying to steer Kagome's heart away from him, he was more than willing to present her with the flower in any way that Naruto told him to. He would kneel, praise her, anything, as long as he continued to stride in the right direction and kept her from ever looking upon that blasted Hyuuga the way he wanted her to look at him.
 
“This sucks,” Naruto suddenly declared. “We can't hear anything from here!”
 
The dark haired boy rolled his eyes after hearing the blonde speak. Of course they could not hear anything, they were on a rooftop at least ten feet above a loudly packed street. But, like always, it would be Naruto to point out the obvious.
 
“Don't look at me like that!” Naruto hissed. “I'd like to know what he's saying. I am Kagome's best friend, after all, and I deserve to be informed when a boy tries to put the moves on her!”
 
Sasuke's merely lifted his eyebrow.
 
What?” Naruto scowled. “I do! Especially when that boy is Hyuuga Neji!?! Do you even know what he did before?!”
 
No,” Sasuke answered bluntly. He did not know, and, if he had his way, he would never know. But, as Naruto's mouth opened, he knew that the other shinobi-in-training was more than willing to spill the information.
 
Before he spoke, though, his mouth snapped shut. Then, after a moment, Naruto surprisingly muttered, “On second thought, you don't need to know.”
 
“Why—?” Sasuke began.
 
Hey, look!” Naruto shouted, cutting him off. “Neji's leaving!”
 
Glancing up, the Uchiha boy watched as Hyuuga Neji did, indeed, leave.
 
Now's your chance!” Naruto yelled happily. He practically shoved the Uchiha forward after his declaration, determined to put his plan into action. Because this one, he was positive, would pave the way to his friend's heart for the Uchiha.
 
As the other boy shoved him into the side of the building, Sasuke turned a swift glare upon him. However, Naruto's sentence stopped him from coming snapping at him. As much as he did not like him, he was right.
 
There was no time like the present. So, with a simple leap, Uchiha Sasuke sailed toward the ground and his opportunity to truly begin wooing the Higurashi girl.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Um, yes, I need a dozen eggs, please.”
 
The old woman behind the counter smiled, nodding, as she said, “That was a fine example of a Hyuuga you managed to snag there, Higurashi-san. If only I could have been so lucky in my younger days.”
 
Oh?” Kagome squeaked. “You mean Neji?”
 
“Is that his name?” the old woman laughed. Her memory suddenly seemed to come back to her. “Hyuuga Neji, the prodigy of the Hyuuga clan. That's an even better feat than I could have ever hoped to achieve when I was young and beautiful.”
 
“I think you misunderstand, Yuzu-san. Neji is my friend, I don't like him that way,” Kagome explained. “He's very nice, but—”
 
“I see, I see,” Yuzu-san nodded. “Perhaps your taste runs more toward Uchiha?”
 
The mere mention of the clan made the Higurashi girl turn her face away from the old woman. She could already feel her blush rising, Uchiha Sasuke's concerned eyes flashing across her mind. But, amazingly, she managed to control it enough that her face only turned a light shade of pink.
 
The image in her mind did not stop her heart from beginning to hammer away in her chest, though.
 
Yuzu-san smiled knowingly. “Ah.”
 
Um, Yuzu-san, I really need those eggs so that I can get home,” Kagome muttered under her breath. Why was she still blushing?!
 
“Of course, dear,” the old woman nodded.
 
Sighing, the kunoichi-in-training gripped the basket she held tightly. She was happy for the moment of peace, but it did not help that Yuzu-san had managed to imprint the memory of fire licking against Sasuke's skin back into her mind. And, the more she thought about it, the redder her face got. Seriously, it was ridiculous!?! The mere mention of his clan name should not affect her so much!?!
 
Yet, it did, and it seemed like there was nothing she could do to stop it.
 
“Here you ar—!” the old woman stopped suddenly.
 
“Yuzu-san?” Kagome asked in concern.
 
Kagome.”
 
The voice called out from behind her, and instantly, the girl stiffened. The blush that she had been trying to bring under her control rose up a little more, as she turned on her heel and looked upon the boy that refused to leave her head. “Oh, h-hello, Sasuke,” she smiled brightly. “What are you doing here? Do you need something?”
 
The Uchiha's eyes searched her face, blinking. “Um, well, you see—”
 
Yuzu-san's eyes twinkled, as, once more, she muttered, “Ah.”
 
Higurashi Kagome's embarrassment was replaced with concern very quickly, as she took a step toward the Uchiha boy. “Sasuke, are you all right?” she asked.
 
“Yes,” Sasuke nodded. His stomach flipped, again, and he cursed his gut for betraying him at such a time. He had been doing so well!? “I'm fine.”
 
“Are you sure?” Kagome was not convinced. “You're starting to turn a little red.”
 
“I'm positive,” he smirked. It felt good, despite the feeling in his stomach, to have Higurashi Kagome's concern directed toward him. He had had it before, but now, knowing that she was beginning to notice him and having her instantly question him about his health, Sasuke felt suddenly light.
 
Oh.”
 
The crowded street finally seemed to notice something odd, as whispers began to pass along amongst them. Then, with a gasp, one woman realized what was clenched in the Uchiha's hand and began to speak rapidly with the woman next to her. The new discovery spread like wildfire, as each person came up with a different reason as to why an Uchiha would be wondering around with such an item.
 
The crowd swelled with excitement. No matter what reason the Uchiha boy had for carrying the item, it was a rare occurrence to witness an Uchiha's affection, and the crowd quieted as they realized it might happen.
 
Trying to ignore the flip in his stomach, Sasuke finally raised his hand and tilted the flower in Higurashi Kagome's direction. He noticed how her eyes were instantly drawn to the dark purple plant, but he could not stop the slight stiffening of his muscles. “Kagome, I—” He just could not bring himself to continue.
 
“S-Sasuke?” the Higurashi girl stammered.
 
“I—” Sasuke had to remind himself, again, that she was just a girl. It should not be that difficult to speak with her! Yet, he had never been good with emotions, and found himself tongue-tied once more. “You see—”
 
The blush on Kagome's face brightened, when she finally realized he was trying to give the flower to her. Her heart picked up speed once more, while she stared at the small gesture. It was just so unexpected. Why would anyone, especially Uchiha Sasuke, want to give her such a thing?
 
Wanting to hit himself, Sasuke felt his mind return to what Naruto had told him to do. And, though he hated to admit it, he allowed the idiot's words to escape from his mouth. “This is for you, Kagome.”
 
Why—?” she began.
 
“I want you to have it,” he continued.
 
Oh,” Higurashi Kagome managed. “I—um—thank you.”
 
Sasuke allowed it to slip from his fingers as she took it, and he was satisfied to watch as she brought it close to her chest and gripped it tightly. However, when she raised her hauntingly beautiful eyes to meet his own, he turned his head away. He did not completely understand it, but—
 
Ohhh.
 
Uchiha Sasuke felt his heart skip a beat, as Kagome's lips pressed firmly against his cheek for a brief moment. She retreated quickly, her face completely red, and the Uchiha boy's head snapped in her direction. He would not have believed it had he not felt it, and even then, he was left a little stunned. “K—”
 
She cut him off, stating, “Thank you, again, Sasuke, but I really need to be getting home.” And then, almost immediately, she fled with the eggs that she had been sent to buy from Yuzu-san. She was so embarrassed!?! How could she face him again after doing something like that?!?
 
Kagome?” he called. She ignored him, though, walking swiftly.
 
“How simply stunning,” the old woman behind the counter chuckled, “to see Uchiha Fugaku's boy trying to woo a girl.”
 
“How cute!” another woman cried. “I wish my boy could be that sweet!”
 
Slowly, ignoring the crowd around him, the boy pressed his hand against the spot where Kagome had laid her kiss. It still seemed to burn beneath his fingertips, while he traced it. Then, suddenly, a smirk blossomed on his lips because he knew that Higurashi Kagome would soon place her heart in the palm of his hand.
 
The fact that she had thanked him in such a way spoke volumes, after all.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Hyuuga Neji remained absolutely still, feeling as if his Byakugan had betrayed him in some way. Why would—!? How could—!? His mind could not finish either thought, as he continued to watch the arrogant Uchiha brat disappear around a corner with a smug smirk on his face. It was just—!? How—!?
 
Kagome,” slipped from his mouth in a desperate whisper.
 
He felt sick. Disgusted. Tormented with the sight of Higurashi Kagome's smooth lips pressing against an Uchiha's face. And, he was positive he could feel his heart beginning to break inside his chest.
 
Why?” The word tumbled from his mouth without remorse, allowing those around him to feel his pain. It allowed them to know that he, the Hyuuga prodigy, could break. He could feel, and it hurt more than he ever thought it would.
 
Neji lowered his gaze, the Byakugan disappearing as he felt the sting of water gather at the corner of his eyes. But, he refused to cry. What reason did he have to cry? Because that damn Uchiha somehow managed to shift his precious Kagome's gaze onto the arrogant Uchiha clan?
 
His mind working frantically, the Hyuuga boy felt anger erupt in his chest. How dare that Uchiha try to take what he had claimed?! How dare he play with Kagome's heart just to obtain her?! How dare he ignore what she needed for his own gain?!
 
It was clear to Neji that he could not rely on Kagome's oblivious nature anymore. The Higurashi girl was falling too far, the Uchiha was pushing her too hard, and eventually her oblivious nature would disappear. She would fall for Uchiha Sasuke if he did not do something about it. She would escape his grasp if he did not at least attempt to drag her back.
 
The Uchiha had done too far, anyway. It was time that Neji finally pounded in the fact that the Hyuuga clan was superior. It was time that he showed the Uchiha exactly why Kagome would not stray from his side. It was time that the Uchiha was beaten damn near into his grave for purposely pursuing that which he could not have.
 
Satisfied with the line of thought, Neji came to the decision that he would deal with the situation now. There would be no more waiting. He needed to pull Kagome's attention back onto himself before it was too late. He needed to eliminate the competition before it actually became competition.
 
His eyes narrowing, Neji felt the Byakugan spring to life. And with ease, he located the Uchiha's location to his right. The damn brat would never be able to hide from his sight, and now that Neji had set his mind on destroying him, he would never escape.
 
Not until he held Higurashi Kagome's heart between his fingers.