Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ More Than Anything ❯ One on One ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Fourteen: One on One
 
One, two. One, two, twist, flick. One, two. One, two, twi—
 
Hey, Souta, can you tell me where Kagome is?”
 
Startled, Souta nearly stabbed himself with the shuriken that he had pulled from his holster during his spin. His sharp instinct forced him to release the deadly weapons before they could inflict damage, though, and he watched the shuriken fall just short of the target he had set up.
 
“That wasn't half bad!” Naruto cheered. “You almost hit it!”
 
Tears of frustration sprang into Souta's eyes, as he rounded angrily on the blonde shinobi-in-training. “Can't you see that I'm trying to practice here?” His poor shuriken were embedded in the dirt because of him! “You can't just start yelling when people are trying to concentrate, stupid!”
 
Stiffening, Naruto grinned nervously. “Uh, Souta, I didn't mean—!”
 
“I have no idea how Kagome-nee-chan stands you!” Souta continued to rant. “You're such an annoyingly stupid idiot!”
 
Eh?” Naruto was at a complete loss. “I, uh—”
 
“Just stop talking!” Souta hissed. “Just stop!”
 
Reaching up to adjust his goggles subconsciously, Naruto said, “Souta, I only wanted to, uh—”
 
Spit it out, you idiot!
 
“Hey!” Naruto scowled. “I just want to know where Kagome is!”
 
Gazing intently at Naruto's flustered form, Souta felt his anger drain away slowly. His sister was the reason he was forced to practice with his shuriken, so he should be angry with her. He should not be trying to take it out on her friend, despite how stupid he could act at times.
 
Well?” Naruto asked, impatient.
 
The young Higurashi shrugged, saying, “I don't know.”
 
Noticing Souta's foul mood, Naruto blinked in wonder. “Are you sure you don't know?” he asked. “I really want to ask her if—”
 
“I don't know, and I don't care!” Souta shouted. He did not want to talk about Kagome any more. She could rot under a rock for all he cared, and he really hoped that fact was pounded into Naruto's stupid head!
 
“What'd she do to you?”
 
“She got me in trouble!” Souta snapped. “Mama's making me throw these stupid shuriken because of her, and I hate her!”
 
Frowning, Naruto said, “Now, come on, Souta, you can't mean tha—”
 
Souta scowled a little more, as the dark forest surrounding them suddenly lit up with a bright yellow flash. The sound of thunder rolled across the land a moment later, causing the ground to tremble, and he huffed. Kagome always had to be so dramatic, but at least Uzumaki Naruto had finally shut up.
 
Laughing a little, Naruto nearly choked on his tongue. It always startled him a little when someone in the Higurashi family performed a lightning technique near him. But that one made it clear that his best friend was really, really annoyed. “Well, um, I guess that answers my question, huh?”
 
Whatever,” Souta huffed.
 
“I'll, uh, see you around, Souta!” Naruto grinned.
 
As if he cared.
 
Shifting underneath Souta's blank stare, Naruto scratched his neck and decided it was best to get out of there as soon as possible. He did not know why, but he always seemed to get the impression that Souta did not like him very much. So, without another word, he bound away from the youngest member of the Higurashi family and into the forest.
 
“Idiot,” finally fell from Souta's mouth, as he returned to his shuriken practice.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“What are we going to do?!” an Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club member sniffled.
 
Another nodded, desperation clear in her voice as she said, “Yeah, without Leiko here, how are we—?!”
 
“We don't need Leiko!” Asuka assured them. “We managed well enough on our own in the past, and we'll do so again now! Besides, even if that blonde bitch—” Ino was clearly on her list of people to hate, “—and Leiko were still here, that doesn't mean we'd fair any better!”
 
Mayu snorted, saying, “I knew Leiko's plan was rotten from the start.”
 
“Oh, shut up, Mayu,” Asuka hissed.
 
“I have to agree with Asuka, Mayu—” Reina could not help but stick her nose into the fray, “—because, if I remember correctly, and I know I do, you went along with Leiko's plan from the beginning. You thought it was absolutely brilliant! So, why don't you keep your mouth shut until we decide how to fix our little problem?”
 
How dare—?!” Mayu began to snarl.
 
Sakura pulled nervously at the red ribbon holding her hair back, as she tried to assess the situation in front of her. She was not used to controlling the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club all by herself, and the thought alone was making her self-conscious. And, for a brief moment, she really wished that Ino would stroll into the clearing the club had chosen so long ago and take command of the bickering bunch.
 
“Don't yell at Reina just because she's right, Mayu!”
 
Mayu rolled her eyes at the comment, stating, “You're such an idiot, Emiko.”
 
Emiko's face began to turn red, as she gasped in outrage. “How can you say something so terrible, Mayu?” she asked.
 
“Terrible, terrible, terrible,” Mayu mumbled, mocking the other girl. Emiko was nearly as bad as Asuka, truthfully. Perhaps if she were not so dramatic all the time—no, even then, Mayu knew, Emiko would be as annoying as she always was!
 
Look at us, we're fighting like a bunch of children,” a girl pouted. “What would Ino say if she saw us li—?”
 
Who cares!” Asuka growled. “Ino isn't a part of the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club any more, and I say that her name should be banned from ever being said again, if you ask me! She doesn't deserve to be mentioned within the sanctuary of true Uchiha Sasuke followers!”
 
“You've got that right,” Mayu nodded. “Personally, I don't think Ino or Leiko should ever be mentioned again. I mean, they both basically deserted us when we needed them the most!”
 
“B-but we've still got Sakura!” a fan girl called from the back.
 
The pink haired kunoichi stiffened at the mention of her name.
 
Asuka brightened up, turning to look at their lone president. “That's right,” she said happily. “We've still got Sakura! And, according to the rules of the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club, it's about time that Sakura decided who will stand as her vice-president!”
 
“W-what?!” Sakura gapped. Nervously, she tugged a little more at her ribbon.
 
Asuka's grin faded a little, as she asked, “You haven't forgotten, have you, Sakura? As club president, it's your duty to choose someone to stand beside you if, in a situation such as this, the original president can no longer perform her duties.”
 
Sakura nodded, rolling her eyes. She knew that. But, to appease Asuka, she said, “Oh, right. Of course, how could I have forgotten?”
 
“So?” Asuka asked, grinning again. “Who will it be?”
 
The Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club brightened as a collective unit, gazing upon Sakura with hungry eyes. Each and every girl within the fan club wanted the title of president. They wanted the special priviledges that came with being president: the chance to sit next to Sasuke during Academy hours, the first pick on Uchiha Watch, and the ability to make the rest of the club follow each and every command they gave.
 
All of them needed that title.
 
Uh, well,” Sakura bit the inside of her lip, “I haven't given it much thought yet.”
 
Mayu frowned, asking, “What do you mean, you haven't given it much thought yet—?”
 
Well—” Sakura was quickly cut off.
 
“—There has to be someone here that you can trust as your vice-president, Sakura!” Mayu finished. She could not believe that Sakura had no one in mind. Seriously, was her big forehead getting in the way of her thought process or had she just turned stupid?!
 
Reina sighed, flicking her head over her shoulder. She said, “I really don't think we should worry about Sakura picking another president at the moment. There is still the matter of what we're going to do about Higurashi Kagome!”
 
The Sasuke fan girls quieted a bit, flustered immediately by the mere mention of Higurashi Kagome's name.
 
“I-I, uh, really think that we should just forget about Higurashi Kagome,” one girl said. She stiffened when the other Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club members turned to glare at her. “I mean, uh, well—” she gulped, “—you were all called into Sandaime-sama's office, weren't you? He doesn't want us fighting with other Academy students anymore, so I really think that we should just wait for this to blow over. Sasuke-kun will probably grow bored with Higurashi soon enough anyway!”
 
Blow over?!” Mayu shrieked once the girl had finished. She could not believe that someone could be so completely stupid! “Sasuke-kun's being dragged into Higurashi Kagome's web and you think it's just going to blow over?! This is Sasuke-kun we're talking about, any girl would kill to have him!”
 
“But—!” The girl was desperate. Her father would kill her if he found out she planned to attack another Academy student again. “—didn't you hear what Higurashi was trying to tell Leiko?! She doesn't want Sasuke-kun!”
 
“You're a fool!” Mayu snapped. “Higurashi Kagome's an evil, evil girl! There's no way she's going to let Sasuke-kun go unless we do something about her!”
 
Yeah,” Asuka butted in. “Any true Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club member would want to get rid of Higurashi Kagome as soon as possible! Are you trying to tell us that you'd rather follow Ino and Leiko's example, and stop being an Uchiha Sasuke follower, Izumi?!”
 
No!” Izumi shouted. “It's just my father, he'll—!”
 
Anyone that really loved Sasuke-kun wouldn't let anything get in the way of what they feel!” Mayu nodded vigorously after she made her point, trying to pound the fact into the other kunoichi-in-training's head.
 
“It's just—my—I don't—my—” Izumi burst into tears suddenly.
 
Sakura was instantly on her feet. She could not just stand by while the club fell to pieces and attacked one another! “Enough!
 
The shock that came with Sakura's cry caused the fan club to quiet once more.
 
Look at what you've done,” Sakura hissed. The fan girls shifted with guilt beneath her angry green stare. “You've made Izumi cry, and the number one rule in the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club is that all members will be treated equally despite a difference in opinion! Or have you forgotten that already?”
 
“We didn't mean—” Asuka began.
 
Shut up, Asuka!” Sakura snapped. Then, she continued, saying, “We will deal with Higurashi Kagome when we're ready, but now is not the time to be attacking one another! No, let me rephrase that, there is never a time when you should be attacking one another! Our goal is to make sure that one of us obtains Sasuke-kun's heart, and we should be striving to achieve that goal, not bullying each other! Do you understand?”
 
The rest of the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club remained silent, nodding. Sakura was right. Just as she should be! She was the Uchiha Sasuke Fan Club president, after all!
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Itachi, dear—”
 
The Uchiha glanced up, giving his mother his undivided attention.
 
“—will you go check on Mitsue for me? She's been rather ill lately, and I haven't been able to find the time to see how she is doing,” Mikoto asked, smiling softly. She knew that her eldest child did not like Mitsue all that much, but she also knew that Itachi would at least ask about the woman's health for her.
 
Itachi slowly closed his onyx colored eyes. There were very few people within the Uchiha clan that had earned his respect, and Uchiha Mitsue was not one of them. That woman, for all he cared, could find herself face down in a river somewhere. But that, he knew, would greatly upset his mother. At last, he nodded, saying, “Of course, mother.”
 
“Thank you, dear,” the Uchiha matriarch replied.
 
Without so much as a goodbye, Itachi left his mother standing in the kitchen by herself. He would treat his current task like a mission, and he knew that his mother understood and respected that. She had been a powerful kunoichi once, after all, and it had been her knowledge about shinobi life that stayed her hand when his father originally began to train him.
 
Every now and then, Itachi wondered if she ever regretted that decision.
 
Retrieving his sandals near the front door, the off-duty ANBU slipped into them as he moved toward the door. He would need nothing else, and since the walk to Uchiha Mitsue's was rather short, he refused to waste chakra by transporting himself there. So, once his sandals were secure, Itachi reached for the doorknob and was somewhat surprised when it began to turn before he touched it.
 
Stepping back, the Uchiha heir avoided the door as it opened. He rarely let down his guard, but it became clear that he had as his younger brother stopped in the doorway and stared at him in surprise.
 
Sasuke's grip on the doorknob tightened, while his eyes narrowed. “Itachi.”
 
“Sasuke.” Itachi greeted him emotionlessly. He had become used to Sasuke's need to compete with him long ago, and the hostility in his voice turned into a natural occurrence over time. And, really, Itachi saw no reason to encourage Sasuke's wish to smash his fist into his face.
 
It was odd, though. Itachi had expected Sasuke to be following around the Higurashi girl he was slobbering all over. The day was not over, which gave him plenty of opportunities to fail to gain the girl's attention, yet he had returned home. That, Itachi was positive, meant that Sasuke had some reason to leave her side, something he felt was very important.
 
But, of course, Itachi did not practically care.
 
“Where are you going?” Sasuke asked.
 
Out,” Itachi replied. “Is there some reason you wish to know, Sasuke?”
 
“No,” the young Uchiha boy snorted. “I just—nevermind.”
 
Staring at his brother, Itachi did not feel the need to ask whether Sasuke wanted something or not. It was quite clear that he did, and eventually he would gain the courage to push aside his arrogance and ask his question. But, until then, Itachi had a mission to complete. “If there is nothing you want,” Itachi said, “I would appreciate it if you would stop blocking the door, little brother.”
 
You're…” Sasuke's sentence trailed off, as his grip tightened on the doorknob.
 
“Sasuke,” Itachi nearly sighed, “isn't there something more productive you could be doing with your time?”
 
“Like what?” Sasuke snapped. He should have known Naruto's plan could never work. Itachi's very presence irritated him beyond belief, and he hated the very thought of asking him what could be important enough to give to Higurashi Kagome.
 
“You are rather enamored with youngest Higurashi female, so perhaps you could go block her doorway for a while,” Itachi suggested.
 
Sasuke blinked rapidly in shock. Had Itachi just made a joke?!
 
Finally, Itachi did sigh. “Or, you could train for a while.”
 
“I don't need to train at the moment,” Sasuke growled.
 
Itachi did not have time to play his brother's game. For though it was true that he did not care for Uchiha Mitsue, he did not wish to keep their mother waiting when it was such a simple task. “Sasuke, move.”
 
“Why?” Sasuke childishly began. “What's so important that you have to be there right now?”
 
“If you must know, I am checking on Mitsue-san for mother,” Itachi replied.
 
Mitsue?” Sasuke scoffed. Why in the world would Itachi agree to check on her?
 
“Yes, and unless you would rather complete the task, I suggest you move out of my way.” Itachi stepped forward, trying to urge his brother to remove his presence from the doorway. However, it appeared that Sasuke wished to be extremely stubborn, for he only narrowed his eyes as he issued his silent command.
 
No,” the Uchiha boy said. He refused to be moved. Despite the fact that he hated Itachi's very presence most of the time, his current mission was for Kagome. It was designed to help him obtain her heart, and his feet would not move even when his mind screamed at him to leave Itachi's gaze.
 
The Sharingan flooded Itachi's dark eyes, while he stared down at his little brother. His gaze was analyzing, harsh, and he noticed immediately when Sasuke shifted nervously. But, he had anticipated the move for he knew that Sasuke had yet to obtain the Sharingan, and felt inferior beneath his glare. “Sasuke, what is it that you want?”
 
Turning his sight to the ground, Sasuke narrowed his onyx colored eyes. Itachi just had to throw the Sharingan in his face, mocking him. He had to remind him that he, Fugaku's youngest son, had yet to activate the Uchiha clan's kekkei genkai even four years after the age his brother had.
 
Sasuke,” Itachi warned.
 
Preparing himself the best he could, Sasuke finally muttered, “What could an Uchiha member give to someone important in their life?”
 
“You—” Itachi already knew the answer before the full question left his mouth, “—wish to give that Higurashi girl something from the Uchiha clan?”
 
Sasuke scowled, starting to say, “If you don't know—”
 
The off-duty ANBU member smirked in amusement, cutting his brother off. “You will first have to convince father that Higurashi Kagome is worthy of the Uchiha clan, otherwise you will never receive permission to give her anything, Sasuke. And even then, he may wish to test her until he believes she is worthy of your affection.”
 
Clenching his fist, Sasuke snapped, “But, there has to be something that I could get without him knowing!”
 
Itachi dipped his head a little, stating, “Perhaps.”
 
Tell me!” Sasuke demanded. He stepped forward, challenging his brother silently, though he doubted that Itachi would take the bait.
 
“If you cannot think of it yourself—” Itachi was surprised, again, with his brother's suddenly forceful nature. It appeared that his wish for the Higurashi girl's affection was finally giving him some backbone.
 
Tell me!” the young Uchiha snarled.
 
Finally, Itachi shrugged. “It is traditional for an Uchiha member to give someone they wish to court an Uchiwa fan. But, I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you could come up with something far more original, Sasuke.”
 
“Are you implying that I can't—?”
 
“Not at all,” Itachi cut him off once more. He wished to leave, yet it appeared that Sasuke was quite determined to keep him hostage—as amusing as the thought was—until he had filled his curiosity on the subject. But, really, had his brother forgotten all the lessons taught to him only a few years earlier?
 
“What could be more important than an Uchiwa fan?” Sasuke wanted to know. No, he needed to know. He needed to know that he finally held the key to opening Kagome's allusive heart, and that soon he would be able to hold her heart in his hand and call it his own.
 
“That is up to you, Sasuke.” Itachi easily evaded the question. “What do you believe Higurashi Kagome would want from the Uchiha clan?”
 
I don't know!” Sasuke hissed instantly. If he did, there was no way anyone could have gotten him to humiliate himself in such a fashion.
 
“Then, perhaps, you don't deserve to obtain what you want,” Itachi said evenly.
 
“And, what exactly is it that Sasuke wants, Itachi?”
 
Sasuke stiffened completely, turning his gaze onto his father. He began to grind his teeth afterward, wondering how much worse the day would become before he got the answer he wanted from his brother.
 
Itachi,” Uchiha Fugaku commanded.
 
Blinking away his Sharingan, Itachi continued to gaze at his younger brother's stiff form. Then, without hesitation, he said, “It is nothing of importance, father. Sasuke merely demanded that I show him a technique that I promised to teach him, but I am afraid that I cannot find the time at the moment. I must check on Mitsue-san for mother.”
 
Though he refused to thank his brother, Sasuke felt grateful for the lie. He was not sure if he could have come up with one so quickly, and the hesitation might have ruined his plan entirely.
 
“I see.” Fugaku was not convinced, but he decided to let it slide. “I have something that I want to speak with Sasuke about, so you may go, Itachi.”
 
Itachi did not reply, as he slipped through the door and began the trek toward Uchiha Mitsue's home. And for the briefest of moments, he wished that Sasuke had been able to distract him a bit longer. But, he quickly shook the feeling away and returned to his task.
 
“Father,” Sasuke said once he was gone.
 
Fugaku lifted a single brow, while he pulled a thin, white envelope from his vest. It was very clear, from the insignia imprinted on the front, what the envelope contained, and he had no doubt that Sasuke knew instantly what he wished to speak with him about.