Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Returning Legacy ❯ Coming to Terms ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hahah I'm not gonna ruin it for you all, but you guys are just gonna hate me! Lol…
 
You'll see why soon… ^^
 
Read, Review, and Enjoy!!
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Disclaimer: Anything you recognize I do not own, :'(
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Returning Legacy of a Hidden Village—
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Kagome's Thoughts—
#Naruto's Thoughts#
/Sasuke's Thoughts/
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Ages—
 
Team 7, 8, and 10: 16
 
Team Guy: 17
 
Itachi: 22
 
Kakashi: 27
 
Guy: 30
 
Kurenai: 24
 
Asuma: 26
 
Jiraiya: 44
 
Tsunade: 42
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Last Time;
 
Sakura scoffed. “Well then what do you suggest we do then?”
 
Kagome looked at the sky. “What do you think?” she said sarcastically, not bothering to glance at them as she spoke.
Itachi tore his own gaze from the sword in his hand that he was previously admiring, and studied the four genin in front of him; Kagome who was gazing at the sky thoughtfully, Sakura who was in a thoughtful trance, Sasuke who had a serious look on his face, and Naruto who was glaring at the ground, his fists clenched. “The only thing we can do.” He murmured.
All of them, save for Naruto, looked over at him.
Sasuke nodded his agreement. “Train, train for the chuunin exams.”
Naruto looked up, his steely blue eyes blazing with determination. “And then…” He looked at Kagome, who caught his serious gaze and looked back with just as much determination and seriousness, before he finished.
“Prepare for the worst…”
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Coming to Terms--
 
Time skip- 1 year later
 
Time passed on through the village, everything going on mildly peacefully, save for the few random not-so-smart enemy ninja who dared to go against Konoha.
 
But they were easily taken down in a sufficient amount of time.
 
By now most of the rookie ten, Team Gai, and team Baki took the chunin exams again, which were this time held a few months ago in Suna.
 
Neji, Shikamaru, Temari, and Kankuro had become Jonin.
 
And Gaara had succeeded his father and became the Kazekage.
 
Sasuke, Shino, Lee, TenTen, Ino, and Kiba took the rank of Chunin easily; the Daimyos of the lands had no problem in choosing them.
 
Chouji, Sakura, Hinata, Naruto, and Kagome had a harder time because of various reasons, especially Naruto and Kagome.
 
But they all pulled through it…
 
…barely…
 
Since only groups of three were allowed to enter the exams, someone had to split away from Team 7. Kagome, deciding it would be best for her to split apart from her team since Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura already took the exams together before, tagged along with Ino and Chouji, seeing as Shikamaru already became a chunin.
 
And when they made it to the third stage of the exams, the finals, Kagome was free to go against ninja other than the team she was on at the moment.
 
And when her time to fight came, she had to go fight against a fellow Konoha ninja, and by the twisted hands of fate, it was Naruto.
 
And that didn't sit very well for them.
 
Flashback-
 
Kagome was standing against the rails above the arena, zoning out as the screen flickered through names to pick the next fighters.
 
“Look Kagome! You're up next!”
 
At the sound of Ino's excited voice, Kagome's head snapped up to see the screen for herself, and she grinned. Finally she would fight.
 
Kagome, Ino, and Chouji watched the screen just as intently as the rest of Team 7 who were standing beside them, waiting for Kagome's opponent appeared.
 
And when it did, most of them choked, one of them widened his eyes before snickering, and two of them looked like they were slapped in the face.
 
`Kagome Higurashi vs. Naruto Uzumaki'
 
Five seconds past before the reality of their shocking situation settled in. Then, they stared to shout and argue in outrage.
 
Are you serious?!!” Kagome blurted out loudly.
 
“You gotta be kidding me! I'm not gonna fight her!” Naruto shouted appalled.
 
The proctor for this stage of the exam glared at the two for being so loud. “Do you forfeit then?”
 
The question made both of their mouths shut quick with following clicks before sharing a wary look.
 
“You wanna do this? If we don't then there's no way we can become chunin this time, and we'd have to retake this whole thing.” Kagome slowly told him with uncertainty.
 
Naruto's eyes widened. “I don't wanna go through with this again! Two times is more than enough!... But I don't wanna fight you…” he trailed off reluctantly.
 
“Me neither…” Kagome's eyes lit up. “Think of this as a friendly spar, but a more serious one… It won't be too bad, and we can see how much we improved.” She gave him a comforting grin.
 
Naruto grinned back. “Sure! And no holding back or anything! Let's go all out!”
 
Kagome laughed. “Fine with me. Good luck Naru-kun… you're gonna need it!” She told him in a sing-song voice and winked before jumping down.
 
Naruto stared after her, gaping. “Kagome-chan get back here! You're the one that's gonna need the good luck! Not me! Believe it!” and he jumped down after her.
 
--
 
And so they fought and true to their word they didn't hold back really.
 
No one actually won the match; they actually tied after using a weakened version of their most powerful attacks, not wanting to actually kill the other; Naruto his Rasengan and Kagome her Elemental Surprise.
 
Their attacks clashed, and the force sent them across the arena in different directions, knocking them out from crashing into the walls and exhaustion.
 
Their attacks were their last resorts, after Naruto exploiting Kagome's weakness in taijutsu and Kagome exploiting his in genjutsu and then trying to trap the other with Naruto trying to immobilize her with a horde of shadow clones and Kagome with using her Earth manipulation to tie him down.
 
--
 
The two genin stood five feet away, staring at each other, grins of excitement on their faces. Their hands were inching towards their weapons pouch as they waited for the proctor to begin their match
 
“You can begin.”
 
Smirks replaced their grins once they heard those three words and their hands dipped into their pouches to pull out a kunai while they leapt back ten more feet.
 
Their blues eyes watched every move silently, waiting for the other to make the crucial first move.
 
This was going to be an interesting fight. They both knew each others weaknesses and strengths from earlier, but that was before Kagome left.
 
Naruto knew that back then Kagome's strengths were her elemental and miko attacks but knew she wouldn't use her miko attacks on the chance that he could be purified.
 
He also knew that her worst abilities were her close combat such as hand to hand fighting.
 
What he thought was that if Kagome was on a mission for the last three years, she couldn't have possibly have done much training and therefore would have fallen behind him.
 
How wrong he was.
 
--
 
He didn't know that when Kagome went on her mission she couldn't use any of her chakra and all the control of her miko powers disappeared, making her revert to untrained priestess with lots of power.
 
By the time she realized that she freaked and didn't know what to do. All she had was some basic training in physical fighting but the fact that she was in a fifteen year old body counterbalanced that. She wasn't used to her new body, so her balance was crap and she couldn't hold up a good fight to save her life.
 
So since she couldn't rely on her elemental attacks and Ninjutsu, it gave way to her retraining her miko skill and training with hand to hand fighting and swordsmanship, and other physical techniques.
 
It was hard and grueling; the fact that she had to train on her own with no guidance sucked. She slowly got back to her normal level when she was in her original body but it got harder from there as she went on to more advanced training.
 
But in the end she improved in her physical abilities and became stronger and more confident in close quarters fighting.
 
--
 
Nothing really worked out, so as they were getting tired and down in chakra they decided to pull out the big guns and finish it up before they passed out.
 
The Daimyos were impressed at the power of their attacks, and their stamina for taking the battle to such lengths. And the fact that they seemed to still manage not to go so far as to kill each other said that they held control and were actually stronger than what they saw, especially since Naruto didn't dip into Kyuubi's extra chakra and Kagome didn't resort to her miko ki.
 
If they could go that far being just friends, imagine what the two could do to an enemy
 
--
 
Once the Chunin exams were over with and they weren't needed to stay for anything they gathered at the Suna gates early in the morning.
 
Teams 7, 9 and 10, along with Team Gai, were waiting at the gates for a certain someone to arrive.
 
Namely Kakashi.
 
Gaara, as the Kazekage and also Naruto's friend, came to see them off. Temari and Kankuro were with them too.
 
As they were waiting, they talked to each other to pass the time.
 
Kagome already had the pleasure of meeting Gaara and his siblings once she first arrived.
 
Kagome and Gaara got along well, seeing as Kagome already knew how to deal with anti-social people…
 
Temari actually liked Kagome; their attitudes of not taking shit from anyone gave them something in common.
 
Kankuro was a different story, hitting on Kagome the first time he saw her.
 
She saw him as another Miroku, and was quick to slap him when he got too comfortable putting the moves on her, which was something Naruto did not like. She had a like/hate friendship with the guy though.
 
But all of that still didn't stop Kankuro from trying.
 
“So we'll hook up next time I'm in Konoha right?” Kankuro had a grin on his face.
 
Kagome's eye twitched. How many times did she have to tell him? “Yea, about that… I don't think it's gonna happen…”
 
Naruto glared at Kankuro, he didn't want the puppet master hitting on his best friend!!
 
…Who also happened to be the girl he liked as well…
 
Gaara snorted at this, his gaze sliding to something else much more interesting. He didn't see the point of all this dating crap…
 
Kankuro blinked. “Why not? I thought we hit it off during our time here.”
 
“Yea… if you call me slapping you `hitting it off'…” she muttered under her breath.
 
Naruto and Gaara heard her, snorting in agreement.
 
Kagome glanced up at Kankuro, and decided to be nice and let him down easy. “Look, you're a good guy and I like you, but us dating wouldn't be sucha great idea. You live here and I'm in Konoha. I tried a long distance relationship before… it just doesn't work out and I don't want to go through that again…” she told him in feigned sadness.
 
Apparently she did a good job, cause not even Gaara, Naruto, or Sasuke saw through it.
 
Kankuro blinked, before thinking it over. “Yea, I guess you're right… oh well, can't blame me for trying!” he said happily.
 
Kagome sweatdropped, laughing nervously. “Yea…”
 
She was saved when a `poof' rang out and smoke appeared, revealing Kakashi with his nose in a book.
 
Sakura stomped over and yelled at him. “You're late! Where were you?!”
 
Kakashi's one visible eye trailed over to her lazily. “I was busy helping an old lady fetch her cat out of a tree, just trying to be a good samaritan.”
 
Naruto snickered. “Sure about that? Or were you so distracted by you're little book that you lost track of time?”
 
Kakashi had the decency to look sheepish, before getting serious. “No matter, we should get going. We're late as it is.”
 
“And who's fault it that?” Sasuke shot at him.
 
Kakashi's eye twitched, but ignored his student.
 
After saying their farewells, they left to travel to Konoha
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--3 days later—
 
At the Higurashi Manor all was quiet as its residents slept peacefully.
 
The morning was an envious one, the sweet sound of chirping birds, and the sparkling dew running off of leaves of trees and blades of grass.
 
As light shined in sky blue eyes cracked open, peering out drowsily before clamping shut tightly in an attempt to keep the blaring sunlight out. Turning over, eyelids parted yet again to reveal tired sky blue eyes.
 
It took a good five seconds before said eyes widened and Naruto jumped out of the bed while grabbing the kunai to the side, yelping in surprise as he took a defensive stance.
 
Upon hearing the yelp, Kakashi and Kagome barged in with their kunai ready, still dressed in their sleeping clothes. Once they heard Naruto's yelp they came racing in thinking there was an enemy attacking.
 
First their eyes landed on Naruto and they checked over him only to see him in pristine condition but gaping at something in astonishment.
 
Following his line of sight, they blinked owlishly before falling to the ground anime style.
 
A cat?
 
On a pillow on Naruto's bed was a tabby cat, ignoring everything going on as it licked its fur clean.
 
Looking back at Naruto again their eyes widened as they did a double take and a suspicious blush emitted from Kagome's cheeks.
 
Kakashi rolled his eye amusedly before turning his gaze to the side respectively, a small highly amused grin on his masked face.
 
Kagome however soon had a sly smirk forming on her lips, and she snickered lightly.
 
Upon hearing the snickers Naruto's eyes snapped in their direction, confusion and curiosity shining brightly. What was she laughing at…?
 
Noticing this Kagome snickered even louder and decided to help him out a little. “Nice… package...” she snorted a little as she tried not to burst out in snickers again. “…you got there Naru-kun… hahah…” she managed out, motioning to the source of her amusement.
 
Naruto furrowed his eyebrows, cocking his head, before following her gesture and looking down. He yelped and dived towards the bed to snatch a pillow. He quickly covered himself up, flushing in embarrassment as a very red blush coated his face, ears, and neck. He let out a nervous laugh. “”Heh… my bad…”
 
Kagome laughed a little, her eyes straying down a little as she took in the rest of Naruto's uncovered attributes… AKA his gorgeously tanned and muscular chest and abs before her blush came back with revenge and she had to look away.
 
Kakashi rolled his eyes again and shook his head as he proceeded to drag Kagome out before she started drooling. “Get dressed Naruto-kun… we'll start on getting breakfast ready.”
 
As the doors closed Naruto didn't respond as he was rendered speechless at the turn of events. He couldn't believe what happened…
 
He mentally groaned… he couldn't believe Kagome actually saw him in his birthday suit…
 
He grinned a little though… he didn't miss the wandering eyes and the blush, or the dazed look in her eyes. He snickered softly.
 
`Meoww…'
 
Naruto's head snapped over to see the cat staring at him with intense gold eyes. Glaring at the cat he went over to his closet to get some clothes, grumbling all the way. “Stupid cats…
 
--
 
There was an awkward silence as the three shinobi ate breakfast, Kagome choosing to stare down at her plate rather than make small talk and Naruto looking anywhere but her as he shoved food in his mouth. Faint blushes were still on their cheeks.
 
Kakashi rolled his eyes at them for the third time that morning. “After breakfast we're needed at the Hokage Tower… Tsunade wants to speak to us about a mission, something higher than the `D' rank ones we've been getting.” He announced, a secret smirk on his face as he knew this would get them talking
 
At the mention of a mission the two teammates immediately perked up. “We have a real mission?!” they chorused. Blinking, they glanced at each other, before quickly looking away in embarrassment.
 
Kakashi mentally sighed. “Yes, we do. Apparently it's a high ranked one seeing as Itachi-kun and Team 8 will also be assigned the mission.”
 
Hearing this, the two blushing teens forwent their embarrassment and traded excited grins. It didn't take much longer until they started to shovel down their food and raced off to get ready to go to the Hokage's Office.
 
--
 
Later on that morning Tsunade, Jiraiya, Itachi, Team 7, and Team 9 were in the office, basking in the tense air.
 
Jiraiya was here just because he was caught peeking in the Women's Baths again and was ordered to stay where Tsunade can watch him. Overall, he was grinning cheekily as he watched Tsunade with not-so-veiled amusement.
 
Itachi and Sasuke were next to each other, leaning against the wall. Itachi's face held no expression as Sasuke's held annoyance and exasperation as he watched Naruto and Kagome.
 
Sakura was gazing at the two Uchihas with hearts in her eyes and a stupid smile on her face.
 
Kurenai picked at her nails to pass the time, ignoring the thick tension.
 
Shino stared out into space from his spot on the floor, his back against the wall as Kiba sat next to Akamaru, murmuring things to his dog and snickering quietly.
 
Hinata stood up straight, twiddling her thumbs uncomfortably as she tried to ignore the tension, but with no luck.
 
Tsunade sat at her desk, legs crossed and hands folded on top of her desk, and eye twitching sporadically.
 
`Where the fuck is Kakashi?!' She thought angrily.
 
In front of the Hokage's desk Naruto and Kagome sat cross-legged, playing in a thumb war.
 
Both had a face of intense concentration; Naruto had sweat beading from his forehead and eyes narrowed, and Kagome had her tongue stuck out from the side of her mouth as she played. Their arms twisted as they fought to overtake their opponents thumb.
 
“A-ha!! I win!!” Naruto sang out loudly, leaving Kagome to cross her arms and pout, sticking her tongue out when he grinned triumphantly at her.
 
They both froze at the feel of eyes burning holes into them and shivered at the feel of impending doom that made its way down their spines. Their heads turned slowly only to flinch at the barbaric glare tossed their way courtesy of a thoroughly pissed off Hokage.
 
Naruto and Kagome shared a quick look before they skittered away to put some distance between the soon-to-snap Tsunade.
 
“I knew we should have dragged Kakashi-sensei with us when we came here…” he whispered roughly to Kagome, sending an accusing glance her way.
 
In turn Kagome glared. “S'not my fault that someone was sooo excited about a new mission that they practically hightailed it out of the house once they were ready… I barely got finished putting my clothes on when you came barreling in my room and lugged me out before I could say anything… what if I was naked?!”
 
Naruto only glared back, ignoring that last question. “Well… do something!!” he urged her hurriedly. “She looks like she's gonna kill us or something!!”
 
Kagome gaped at him before sending him a `WTF?!' look. “Are you kidding?! I kinda want to live till the next year, thank you very much! Why don't you do something!?”
 
Naruto chanced a glance at Tsunade to see her glaring even more heatedly at them and her eye twitching even faster. His head snapped away quick enough so not to provoke her. “Shit! She's getting angrier!! You're family; you have a less chance of being killed than me!”
 
Kagome twitched. “Ughh!” she whispered groaned before going off to think of a way to lighten tings up. Kagome's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. “I saw Naruto-kun au naturel today!” she announced, smiling innocently.
 
Silence ensued in the room for a full five seconds before most of those in the room choked, but Kiba and Jiraiya chortled with laughs, Itachi smirked, Tsunade stared incredulously, temporarily forgetting her previous anger, and Hinata sputtered in embarrassment as she looked away with a bright red blush, trying oh so hard not to picture it but failing miserably.
 
Naruto gaped wildly at her, his mouth opening and closing as he couldn't find what to say.
 
Kagome grinned. “Yep! Me and Kakashi-kun heard him scream and we came rushing in to find him buck naked pointing a kunai at a-hmpble” she couldn't finish due to a certain blonde ninja.
 
“Ka-gome!!!” When Naruto realized what Kagome was going to say, he miraculously found his voice and leapt from his spot to tackle Kagome over and clamp his hand on her mouth to stop her from finishing her sentence.
 
Narrowing her eyes at being tackled and interrupted, Kagome rolled them over and a wrestling fight ensued.
 
The occupants watched with rapt attention at the two chunin, Kiba and Jiraiya making bets on the side on who would win.
 
Tsunade was soon twitching once again, her previous anger back and increasing ten-fold. Her office was not a freaking wrestling ring!!
 
The sound of an opening door made every freeze what they were doing and stare at the newcomer.
 
Kakashi blinked at the sudden silence and lowered his book to scan the room. His eyebrows shot up once he discovered Naruto and Kagome tangled up together, panting, and their clothes and hair ruffled up. His eye slowly traveled to a still twitching Tsunade. “So, what did I miss…?” He asked casually as if this was an everyday occurrence.
 
Tsunade's eye twitched for the last time and jumped up, slamming her hand on the desk, making a small crack. “You're late Hatake!!” she yelled vehemently.
 
Kakashi shrugged. “I took a wrong turn…” he offered lamely.
 
Tsunade growled but rolled her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. `I need some sake…' She fell back into her chair and waved him over. “Whatever, now that everyone is finally here,” she shot a scathing glare towards Kakashi who sweatdropped. “We can get this over with.”
 
Hearing this made everyone straighten up and gather to the front of the Hokage's desk, waiting for her to debrief them on their new mission.
 
Tsunade composed herself in her chair, propping her arms up as her hands folded and adopting a critical look. She looked between the seven chunin, the two sensei, and ex-ANBU. “You all remember the incident with Danzo last year, correct?” she started out slowly, making sure she had their complete attention.
 
Kagome tensed at the mention of the man, and nodded curtly along with everyone else.
 
Tsunade too a deep breath, and pulled out a scroll from her desk before starting. “It seems that sending Danzo off to interrogation has proven useful. The information extracted last year mentioned someone powerful, and maybe more than ninja. Danzo didn't know much, seeing as this person kept well to not divulge his identity or anything that could hint to possibilities, but he knew enough.” Tsunade paused momentarily, eyes scanning around the room to see if they followed.
 
Once satisfied, she resumed. “Someone is rising through the ranks, and from what I understand, whoever this is, is joining with Orochimaru.”
 
Practically the whole room tensed at the fact, and growls coming from naturally Akamaru and Kiba, but also Sasuke and Naruto echoed in the room.
 
Kagome's and Itachi's eyes flashed at the mention of the snake's name,
 
Kurenai and Kakashi however frowned at the news, but waited patiently for their Hokage to go on.
 
Taking in all of their reactions, Tsunade sighed. “I'm giving this warning to all teams, but especially this one considering… past connections…” she said with a grimace. “You are due to leave the village for the mission in two days. Be on alert while you're out there and on the look out for any suspicions viable to this, and also be careful. Understand?” she pressed, a grave look on her face.
 
Her answer was the one she was looking for, though it didn't do much to ease her worries. “Yes Hokage-sama.” They chorused out, their voices void of any humor, depicting their understanding of how severe the situation was.
 
Nodding, Tsunade accepted their words. “Now onto the mission. To prepare for any oncoming attacks coming from Orochimaru and his new ally, we are preparing an alliance with another village, so should the time call for it we will have another village to back us up.”
 
Pausing, the Hokage took in the adults' wary faces and the Chunin's curious ones. “There is a village, call Wangetsugakure. There are rumors of their prosperity and powerful ninja, one that rivals our own village and Orochimaru's.
 
“Village Hidden under the Crescent Moon…” Shino murmured. “Where is that?”
 
Tsunade's face had a grave look. “Land of Darkness.” She opened the scroll, revealing a map of all the countries. She pointed out Dark Country; it wasn't a rinky-dink kind of small, it was a good size but not as large as Fire Country.
 
Most of the chunin were confused, but Kakashi, Kurenai, and Itachi tensed slightly, their eyes becoming minutely larger.
 
Itachi studied Tsunade. “That's forbidden territory, unless granted by the Daimyo.”
 
Tsunade narrowed her eyes. “And permission has been granted.”
 
Jiraiya had his eyebrows shooting up at that. “How did you pull that off?” he asked, coming to stand to the side of her desk. “The country cuts off contact, they never reply to any scrolls sent. It's been decades since anyone from another country ever set foot in Dark Country, and centuries in Wangetsu, before we were even born… They don't even take part in the Chunin Exams.”
 
She glanced over at him with a dry look. “The Daimyo has a twisted sense of humor. He sees this as a test, and will give his favor if we actually do find and make it to the village.”
 
“Bu that still does not mean we would actually be granted an alliance.” Kakashi murmured.
 
Tsunade sighed. “No, it doesn't. But it's worth a try…”
 
Kurenai looked uncertain. “Are you sure of this? Dark country? That's uncharted territory.”
 
Kiba threw a confused look to his sensei. “What's the big deal over this?”
 
Jiraiya explained. “Like I said, no one from another country has set foot in the land for a while. They've isolated themselves, finding no need for trade or tourism. And the whole place is like a stupid maze; forests, rivers, one single village, and scattered homes.
 
There are no roads or landmarks that could use in maps or directions. You're lucky to even come across a single home; they're skilled in remaining undetectable.
 
Getting lost is easy and getting out once you're in is tough work. Not many come out alive, and not only because of the geographical reasons. It's not worth the hassle or risk to go in a place where you know nothing about and you're not sure whether or not they hold useful resources.”
 
Sasuke stared over at Tsunade. “What would be the other reason why no many come out alive?” his tone was coated with curiosity.
 
Kakashi answered this question, stepping up to point out Dark's neighboring county. “The country is the Western neighbor of Demon country… they have similar traits.” His voice was dry.
 
Naruto got impatient. “What's that suppose to mean!?”
 
“That's why…” Kagome whispered as she stared with disbelief at Tsunade who stared right back coolly.
 
“Both are home to demons…” Sasuke trailed off with shock coating his voice.
 
“But unlike Demon country…” Itachi murmured. “Dark has nothing but demons. The forests and Wangetsu itself are made up of only demons.”
 
“T-there a-are d-demons?!” Hinata squeaked out, glancing at Naruto in the corner of her eyes; the only demon she heard of was the Kyuubi.
 
Naruto stiffened at the news.
 
“Are you kidding me?! You want us to go into unknown territory crawling with demons?!?” Kiba exclaimed.
 
“All demons aren't bad Kiba-kun…” Kagome said quietly, placing a hand on his shoulder to calm down.
 
Sakura quickly glanced at her. “How would you know?”
 
Kagome stared at her, her face neutral. “I've met many on my mission. I've traveled with them.”
 
That shut Sakura's mouth fast enough.
 
Kakashi peered over at her. “Where did you say you traveled for your mission?”
 
Kagome sent him a warning stare. “I didn't.” Her response was a sheepish smirk.
 
Sakura turned over to the Hokage, a concerned look in her eyes. “Are you sure this is such a good idea Tsunade-sensei? If this place really is filled with demons and so hard to travel through, shouldn't you send ANBU instead? Others who are more qualified instead of just three Jonin and seven Chunin? How are we going to find the Wangetsu in the first place?”
 
Tsunade challenged her with a unwavering stare. “I know the risks Sakura, and that's why we have combined these two teams.”
 
Tsunade stared them over, studying each and everyone carefully. “Out of three jonin we have a genjutsu specialist and two ex-ANBUs, both of which are master strategists.” She explained, giving pointed looks to Kurenai, Itachi, and Kakashi.
 
She turned to the Chunin. “Out of the seven chunin, we have three extremely skilled trackers,” Tsunade gestured to Team 9. “Two highly advanced healers, one of which can purify any demon that attacks.” She glanced at Sakura, and then Kagome. “Sasuke and Naruto can take care of themselves, Naruto for obvious reasons and Sasuke with his Sharingan.”
 
“You have a team totaling of ten fighters. I'm confident you all can go into the territory.” Tsunade sat back, crossing her arm and giving them all a stare that dared them to argue. “Any more concerns or complaints?”
 
When she got no answer she mentally smirked while her outward expression was one void of any emotion; her mouth set a straight line. “Good. Now, you all leave in two days, which should give you sufficient time to pack. Your mission is to travel to Land of Darkness, find Wangestugakure and send a scroll notifying you made it, hand this scroll,”
 
She pulled out another scroll from her desk, one with the official Konoha seal on it, with an added one to make sure only the Kage of Wangestu opens it and handed it off to Kakashi “To the Yamikage, and wait for their decision. Do not pull any stunts in this village,”
 
The looks she shot Naruto and Kagome had them sweatdropping and putting on innocent faces. “It is crucial that this goes smoothly, and I wouldn't doubt if they either tried to arrest, kill, or kick you out of there, so don't screw around.”
 
Tsunade once again gave Naruto and Kagome a malignant stare, promising death if they defied her.
 
The room was so quiet you could hear the pair gulping. “G-got it…” Naruto stammered, sweating a little under the stare. Kagome wasn't much different as she just nodded meekly.
 
Tsunade let a small, sinister smirk grace her face. “Good.” She drawled out. “Now, if he says no, then leave immediately. If the answer's yes, send another scroll and your team leaders and Itachi will discuss it the Yamikage.”
 
Tsunade looked over the Chunin. “Remember, you don't know how long it this mission will take so pack efficiently and just so you know, this will be a S-class mission. Got it brats?”
 
The whole chunin group froze at that. An S-class mission?!
 
Though of course, four certain genin were grinning like idiots.
 
Namely Sasuke, Naruto, Kagome, and Kiba.
 
Seeing Tsunade's expectant glare they all nodded quickly though, and Tsunade grinned. “That's more like it. Kakashi will lead you all on this mission. Now out with the lot of you, I need to talk to your senseis.”
 
As they scrambled out, Tsunade called out. “You can stay Itachi, you need to hear this too.”
 
Itachi paused in his step before closing the doors softly and turning on his heel to head back to his spot by the wall.
 
Tsunade sat back in her chair, a face of indifference on. “Now I will discuss what else Danzo said now that the Chunin are gone.”
 
The Jonin straightened at that knowing it must be important if she couldn't say it in front of the others.
 
The blond Hokage eyed the remaining shinobi in her office. “This is just an extra precaution. On the mission I want you three to keep an extra eye out on Kagome-chan.” She held a hand up when she saw that Kurenai was about to speak up.
 
“During interrogation Danzo said something while confessing about Orochimaru's new ally. `Keep an eye on the little demon loving bitch… she'll get what's coming to her, and it'll be the shock of her life', which is why I have refrain from giving anything higher that a `D' rank mission to team seven.”
 
Itachi snorted. “He could very well just be bluffing.”
 
Tsunade shrugged. “Either way, it wouldn't hurt to be a little safe. Remember this, and do not tell Kagome-chan, or anybody else for that matter. She'll be less cooperative if she finds out she's being coddled.”
 
Itachi and Kakashi mentally snorted. That was an understatement.
 
--
 
--Outside the Hokage Tower--
 
“Yes!!” Naruto cheered, a huge grin on his face. “Finally!! A big mission! And S-class too! I'm gonna go pack!!” And with that he disappeared before anyone could blink.
 
“But...” Kagome murmured. “We're leaving in two days… we have plenty of time to pack…” she said more to herself that anyone.
 
Sasuke had a look of disgust. “Idiot…” he muttered and proceeded to go off on his own.
 
Seeing this Sakura scampered after him. “Wait Sasuke-kun! Maybe we can hang out!” Was all Kagome could hear as they disappeared from sight.
 
Kagome gaped at them. -I've just been… ditched… what jerks!
 
Shaking her head, Kagome turned to leave only to crash into someone, sending her on her butt.
 
Blinking out the shock, Kagome glanced over to see what she walked into.
 
Or who to be exact.
 
Hinata.
 
They both gathered themselves up from the ground, Hinata wearing a small blush of embarrassment.
 
After sputtering out an apology, Hinata gathered up the courage to ask something that had been oh her head for a while.
 
Kagome was dusting off her clothes after her little knock in with Hinata when she heard her speak.
 
“K-k-Kagome-san?” Hinata stuttered out softly.
 
Kagome blinked, and glanced over to Hinata. “Yea Hinata-chan?” her tone was polite.
 
Hinata blushed a bright red as she tried to get the question out. “I-if it's not t-t-too mu-much trouble… H-how d-d-do you… t-tell s-someone you l-like th-the-them…?” she stuttered, letting out a big sigh of relief once the question was out.
 
Kagome's eyebrows shot up and a grin came up on her face. “Awhh you have a crush!? That's so cute…”
 
If it was even possible Hinata became even redder.
 
Kagome actually giggled, before putting a serious face on. “Ok, I can already see it might be a little hard to actually tell `your guy' that you're crushing on him… sooo why don't you just show him?” she prompted, smirking cheekily.
 
Hinata blinked slowly. “S-show him?” she repeated lightly.
 
Kagome nodded eagerly. “Uh huh! Actions speak louder than words, and you won't have to say a thing!”
 
Getting the idea, Hinata nodded, a little surer with it. “So h-how?”
 
“Could you show him?” Kagome provided. Hinata nodded meekly.
 
A sly grin made its way on Kagome's face and she leaned in to whisper it in Hinata's ear.
 
Hinata's eyes became the size of dinner plates and she gaped, hyperventilating. “W-wh-what?!”
 
Kagome's eyes widened in shock. “Shit Hinata! Breath! Calm down!!” She came over, patting her back. “It's not too bad really. Just go up and do it. They'll get the message. No talking needed! It's perfect for you!”
 
Hinata soon calmed down. Once she stopped hyperventilating, she turned over to Kagome. “O-ok… I-I'll do it.” She decided, a tiny spark of determination in her eyes.
 
Kagome smiled gently, and patted her back. “Atta girl! You go get em!”
 
--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;-- ;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--;--
 
--Next Day--
 
It was heading into the afternoon when Kagome woke up, the sun shining brighter than it would during the early mornings she was used to opening her eyes to.
 
Apparently staying up to pack for the mission wasn't such a great idea…
 
Kagome shrugged uncaringly, at least it was done and she wouldn't have to worry about getting to the tedious chore as the day continued.
 
She ate breakfast-or more like lunch-alone, an unusual occurrence but a consequence for staying up late.
 
When she was finished she went back upstairs to her room to get ready and grab her weapons and other gear, deciding that she might as well go out and train instead of staying at a basically deserted home where it was pressingly boring.
 
After locking up once she was finished Kagome headed into the village, clearly zoning out as her sapphire eyes took on a cloudy form and indulged herself within her thoughts.
 
It was just like any day for her, same as it always has been since she first got back from Suna and the Chunin Exams; wake up, eat, get ready, go out to the training grounds and obviously train until she couldn't train no more, then eat again and most likely just laze about and spend time with her friends to pass the time… nothing increasingly new really.
 
Kagome felt like she was going through an unrelenting cycle, one that never ended no matter how hard she tried.
 
And activity around the village was strangely quiet for some odd reason, and until yesterday nothing big ever turned up. No big conspiracy or plot to destroy the village and/or kill its inhabitants came to surface. They were lucky enough to get a `C' ranked mission as it was before hitting the lottery yesterday.
 
To Kagome it spelled out doom but she had no idea of what she could do about it except train.
 
But yet today, for a very weird reason, Kagome woke up with a funny feeling; if it was a good or bad one she had yet to conclude but oh well.
 
In a way it seemed familiar, like she had this feeling many times before…
 
Maybe it was just because of the oncoming mission? Maybe not…
 
She couldn't very well dwell on something that might as well be nothing all day could she?
 
Switching to another, more interesting topic, Kagome glanced up at the clear bright blue sky and immediately thought of a certain loudmouth spiky blond haired blue-eyed ninja.
 
Naruto.
 
And instantaneously a grin spread out across her lightly tanned face… before a look of mixed curiosity and exasperation overcame her expression.
 
This kind of thing always happens whenever he flits through her mind, and she had no idea why.
 
Kagome bit her lip… yea okay never mind, she did have an idea, a really good one too.
 
There was a good chance that she might, kind of, like Naruto… more than a best friend...
 
Kagome sighed as she walked over a bridge and asked herself. --Why? How? When? Tch, forget the why, how and when?--
 
She didn't know how he did it but somehow his mere presence always made her feel happy and content around him. He always made her laugh and there was no way she could ever stay angry with him, either it be that sheepish grin and sulky pout, it always melted her anger away.
 
He's brash, clumsy, and loud… always too quick to think, but he's sweet, caring, and good-natured. He's hardworking, earnest, knows the pain of others, and loyal to a fault, sticking up for his friends and never one to quit.
 
And she's surprised no one's recognized him for it.
 
Whenever she saw him her heart sped up and she felt a sense emptiness when he's gone and-yea she's not gonna deny it- he's kind of, `ahem' very… hot… really… --Awhh shit… I'm starting to act like a freaking fan-girl now…--
 
She shuddered violently at the thought, ick.
 
Taking a look around her Kagome quickly realized she was already at the training grounds. -Whoa that was weird… I need to stop zoning out so much… --
 
Walking through the trees she headed towards the usual training area she meets Naruto at. --Naruto… geeze even his name makes me feel light, as if I could... fly…--
 
Kagome almost slapped herself. --Crap… I'm doing it again…--
 
Despite that, the stupid grin that stuck to her face was unfazed as she shook her head to clear her thoughts and pushed back some bushes in her way to enter a clearing.
 
She had to admit it to herself and stop denying the truth though, she needed come to terms that, yes… she did like Naruto more than a friend should.
 
And on a crazy whim, it was alright.
 
--We have been getting closer ever since I came back…-- she pondered, realizing there was no way around her falling for Naruto at one point or another.
 
--Actually…-- she mused with amusement -I think I've liked him for a long time really, even before I left and met Inuyasha, cause I still feel the same about him, albeit it is kind of stronger now that I realized what I've been feeling…--
 
It got Kagome thinking that Inuyasha was just a little crush really.
 
Throughout it all Kagome knew it wouldn't work out between them with the fact that he was the equivalent of a seventeen year-old when she was a twelve year-old prepubescent teen under the illusion of a fifteen year-old the first time they met but she couldn't help but wish and believe they could be together.
 
Even if it was just a five year it would have been a little weird, not even considering how in the hell she could explain it…
 
And there was also fact that no matter what she couldn't stay in the past, she needed to return to the village after the mission was accomplished.
 
After Naraku was defeated and the jewel was once again complete.
 
But back to Naruto.
 
She thought he might be interested in her in the same way, but she kinda doubted it… there were plenty of other girls around that were, in her opinion, more attractive and stronger.
 
Why go for little ol' her when he could have something better?
 
And let's not forget that she'd known him for a long time and yet he hasn't asked her out, and he's not exactly a very shy person, quite the opposite.
 
So it was in her right mind that if he was gonna do it then he would have already…
 
She sighed.
 
Even though, she couldn't help but feel and hope that he liked her… --Well I guess I'll find out sooner…or la…ter… oh my Kami
 
Stopping in her tracks Kagome gawked like some silly girl at the scene occurring in front of her own eyes. The goofy grin that she had previously wore was crudely ripped off her face as her flabbergasted eyes landed on the utterly horrendous and disturbing occurrence right smack dab in front of her.
 
Naruto, the rambunctious yet lovable ninja that she had just realized and admitted she really liked… was locking lips with…
 
Hinata?!
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Words- 7,052
 
`Wince' Hehehh... I know, I know! How can I do that to poor Kagome! And leave a cliffy too!
 
I'm a sadist, enough said. `Grins' And I'm a sucker for drama and angst too…
 
I kinda didn't want to post this chappy up, cause it seemed kinda jumpy, with the time skip and chunin exams… it just didn't sit well with me. But I decided what the heck! I might as well! And from now on the story since the story is going on full swing it should stop dragging and have more action, and fluff… maybe… heheh
 
Well… tell me how much you hate me… or love! Really, I wanna know what you all think of this turn of events… and don't forget about constructive criticism!! If there are any mistakes, please point em out! I'll be forever grateful!!
 
Till next update!
-RainLily
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
-Decided Pairings—
 
Kagome/Naruto
 
 
--Pairings Pole—
 
I need some input on pairings for later on so help me out?
 
Sasuke/Hinata: 2
 
Sasuke/Ino: 1
 
Sasuke/?: some suggestions please?
 
Kakashi/Anko: 1
 
Kakashi/OC: 1 -Even if this does get the most votes, I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it work… but I guess I would have to try,,,-
 
Kakashi/?: Heheh again… suggestions?
 
Jiraiya/Tsunade: 1
 
If there's any other pairings you want to see tell me then! Gaara, Neji, Kiba, Ino, Shikamaru, Itachi… whoever! But I seriously need these so I can decide where the story goes!! Oh, no suggestions for Sakura though please, I've already made plans for her.
 
Also, these are just the minor pairings, there won't be any serious scenes on them… just implications and mentions of them is all. What you will mostly see is Naruto/Kagome, Sasuke and whoever he is paired with will have a bigger role than the other minor pairings, but definitely not a big as Naru/Kag.
 
It iscategorized as a Naruto/Kagome of course! ;)
 
Take care,
-RainLily! ;)