Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stains of the Heart ❯ Chapter Twenty-Four ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Twenty-Four
 
“Naruto,” Sasuke called.
 
“Sasuke-teme,” Naruto greeted him. Then, turning his head toward the woman staring at him blankly, he felt his body stiffen. He tried to tell himself that she was just like him—like him and Gaara—but the fox buried beneath his skin refused to listen and steadily released his hatred upon his mind. “Kago—”
 
“If you strain yourself too much, you're going to end up hurting yourself.”
 
A snarl built in his throat, and Naruto had to force down the need to release it. The woman just—just—!
 
She smiled, honestly. “You're trying too hard. The hatred you feel for me right now, the way that Kyuubi wants you to feel, I can see it in your eyes. And, really, I don't know why you're fighting it, when, in all honesty, I really can't stand you.”
 
His mouth dropping open, Naruto swung his head in Sasuke's direction for an answer. The Uchiha simply shrugged, though, and Naruto was left confused about the slight change in the woman's behavior.
 
Deciding to save the dobe, Sasuke asked, “Is there a reason you've decided to grace us with your presence, Naruto?”
 
“Why you—?” Naruto hissed. It was bad enough that that blasted woman had to grind away at his nerves, but then sweet, sweet, innocent Uchiha Sasuke had to pile more crap on top of it! “Ugh!
 
“Well?” Sasuke coaxed.
 
“Tsunade-baa-chan just summoned me into her office so I could tell you two that you needed to go to the Execution Grounds. Apparently she's got some type of test or whatever set up for her.” Naruto did not try to hide it. Kyuubi's thick hatred for Houkou was leaking into his system, turning him against the woman, and he did not know how to stop it.
 
“The Execution Grounds?” Sasuke narrowed his eyes. There was only one reason that Tsunade would summon them there. She wanted Kagome to show her, her killing technique by taking the life of someone that was already sentenced to death.
 
Even he, having spent so much time with that snake, thought that that was inhumane. The woman would not deliver a shift death, as protocol demanded. And, not only that, but she was not a Konoha shinobi and, therefore, did not deserve the right to take the life of someone who had committed crimes against the village.
 
What was Tsunade thinking?
 
“The Hokage wants me to kill someone?” Kagome could not help but smirk, despite the fact that Houkou had grown dormant inside of her. “We should not keep her waiting then.”
 
Out of the corner of his eye, Sasuke noticed that Naruto flinched visibly. His eyes took on a strange red hue, one that Sasuke recognized all too well, and his guard immediately lifted. Naruto might be his friend but—
 
“Come on,” Naruto growled. “We don't got all day.”
 
“By all means, lead the way,” Kagome called, as she rose gracefully from her seat. Her jacket swished around her body, swaying in an almost taunting manner, while she flicked her hair over her shoulder.
 
Somewhere deep within her mind, Houkou stirred at the familiar thought that rushed through her mind in that moment.
 
Blood…
 
- - - - - -
 
“What do you think of her now, Temari, knowing that she lied to us?”
 
Temari opened her mouth to reply, but she was surprised when Kankurou glanced down and away from her. Allowing her own eyes to shift, she blinked a bit in surprise at the small girl. Sure, she recognized her, but what was Tsunade thinking by allowing such a young girl to attend an execution?
 
“Kagome-chan is a shinobi,” the girl stated stubbornly. “And Rin believes that even you, as a shinobi, would give away false information in order to protect yourself while in a foreign nation!”
 
Kankurou stared in surprise at the scolding.
 
“Kagome-chan did nothing wrong!” Rin continued. “She was pushed too far by those that should have loved her and she did some bad things because of it, but Kagome-chan is still a good person at heart if you just get to know her! If you look beyond the fact that she has—!”
 
“Rin!” Tsunade snapped. While she knew that the young girl was strangely protective of the older woman, there was no reason to inform the entire village of her situation by yelling. “That is quite enough.”
 
“Y-yes, Hokage-sama.” Rin blushed, putting her head down.
 
Temari smirked slightly, saying, “She sure told you off, didn't she?”
 
“What?” Kankurou hissed. “Even after she lied to us—all of us!?!—you're still going to pick her side, Temari?”
 
“Well, from what I see, it's much better than picking yours,” Temari chuckled. “I mean, come on, Kankurou! You know what Kagome did to Orochimaru, and you still think that it's a good idea to put yourself against her? What if she suddenly decided that she wanted your head, because, I don't know, you hit on her?”
 
“Will you stop bringing that up?!” Kankurou spat. “You're the reason I was drunk—!”
 
“But I'm not the one that told you to—!” Temari snickered as her brother cut her off.
 
“—and I already apologized for the whole Matsuri thing! What more do you want, Temari, because I'm not entirely positive that I can survive much more of your—!”
 
Enough.” Gaara's aqua colored eyes settled on Kankurou harshly, demanding that he shut his mouth as soon as possible. It was not the time, nor the place, for Kankurou's need to whine about every little thing that Temari did. And, having to attend quite a few executions himself, he should know that and show respect to Konohagakure by shutting his mouth.
 
“She started—!” Kankurou tried to plead his case, but Gaara's glare was more than enough to convince him not to. Though, under his breath, he made sure to call his dear sister every rude name he could think of.
 
Silence settling in around them, Tsunade cast her eyes down upon the bound, muttering and guarded man that had been placed in the center of the arena beneath them. She would be glad to be rid of him at last, instead of knowing he was rotting away within a cell where they made sure to feed him each day. Yet, while looking upon the small man, she had to harden her resolve once more.
 
What she was doing was the right thing. She was not only protecting her village as Hokage should, but she was ridding the world of an evil that had plagued it for far too long. She was gaining information to make sure that those beneath her were safe, and she was putting to rest what many of those beneath her viewed as merely another mouth to feed.
 
“Tsunade-sama,” Shizune whispered.
 
“What is it, Shizune?” Tsunade asked.
 
“I was just informed that—” Shizune flinched, as the doors leading into the Execution Grounds were forcefully kicked open and Naruto came crashing in. The guards outside were shouting, demanding he show respect, and scowling heatedly at his back.
 
“Tsunade-baa-chan, I brought—!”
 
Kagome-chan!” Rin squealed in delight, practically knocking over Kankurou as she raced toward the woman when she came into sight. “Kagome-chan! Kagome-chan!”
 
“Hey, watch it!” Kankurou called after her, huffing.
 
Barreling into the older woman, Rin felt her pause in step. She buried her face into her clothing, smiling happily, and said, “Rin told Kagome-chan that we would meet again, didn't she? Rin told Kagome-chan that she would allow her heart to grow fonder knowing that she would see Kagome-chan again, right? Right?”
 
Slowly placing her hand on the small girl's head, Kagome stated, “Rin.”
 
Pulling away, Rin allowed her smile to brighten. “Rin is happy to see you, Kagome-chan!”
 
“You should not be here,” Kagome sighed.
 
Her eyes softening, Rin said, “Kagome-chan doesn't need to worry. There is nothing that you can to do make Rin hate you, because Rin has seen into your heart. Rin knows that there are times when you must be bad, but that doesn't matter as long as you don't hurt those who get close to here.”
 
Watching the young girl reach up to touch her heart tenderly, Kagome shook her head. “I told you what you say is ridiculous,” she replied, “because there is no one—”
 
“Kagome-chan will understand when the times comes,” Rin cut her off, nodding. Then, she grew silent, waiting, and it was no surprise to her when Tsunade finally called attention to them.
 
“Hokage-sama,” Kagome greeted, as she drew away from the young girl. Let the girl stay. It did not matter to her whether or not Rin was allowed to watch the execution she was about to conduct. After all, the life of a shinobi was a harsh one, and it was best that the girl learned that as early as possible.
 
“You already know why you're here, no doubt.” Tsunade decided that it was best to get down to business, since she preferred not to draw out the impending death about to occur.
 
Letting her blue eyes flicker over to Ibiki, Kagome said, “Oh, yes.”
 
“Good,” Tsunade nodded. “Higurashi Kagome, in order to evaluate you and your technique, it has been decided that you will perform the execution of one Masa Mukotsu with the knowledge that he turned upon his allies, killing one genin squad, two jounin and twenty-one civilians with poison made by his own hand. As he is a liability to this village and this nation, you will do whatever is necessary in order to eliminate him, is that understood?”
 
“It is understood.”
 
“Then, as Godaime Hokage, I now grant you permission to enter the arena.”
 
“As you wish,” Kagome replied. Taking a quick glance at those who would witness the execution, she smirked and leapt into the arena. She doubted that this Masa Mukotsu would prove much of a challenge, despite the barrier that quickly rose up around the area, and made her way toward the center.
 
- - - - - -
 
“What a beautiful woman…”
 
“Silence, you!” The ANBU growled, disgusted with the man completely as his beady eyes locked onto the woman that had leapt into the arena. “That woman is your executioner, and I suggest you grovel at her feet rather than admire her!”
 
Saru.”
 
“Uh…forgive me, Tsuru-sama.”
 
“That woman,” Mukotsu licked his lips.
 
The ANBU, Saru, shifted his painted mask away from the ugly man's disturbing look. He would remain silent, as instructed by his captain, despite the fact that he wanted to wipe the man's face clean with the tip of a kunai. He was ANBU, after all, and he would restrain himself.
 
“The signal has been given,” Tsuru stated. “Release him.”
 
Mukotsu's lips lifted in pleasure. It was not like the Hokage to be so careless, but he would not complain if she chose to go against protocol. After all, that woman—that woman—walking toward him would not escape him now that he had seen her.
 
That woman—so, so beautiful—would belong to him!
 
That woman—Mukotsu's thought literally halted, as the restrains placed upon him dropped to the ground. A thick, gargling laugh slipped from his throat, and he rose to his feet the moment that those two annoying ANBU slipped far enough away that the attack he had planned for them was useless.
 
The woman was drawing closer, her stance confident and her pace assured, and Mukotsu was delighted to find that he could see her eyes quite nicely. They were dark, glimmering and blue, yet he immediately noticed the slight ring of gold that surrounded the dark coloration. It was odd, yes, but it did not matter, for those eyes would soon be locked with his own and begging him to let her do his bidding.
 
She halted when it happened—it was far to quick for her—and tensed considerably as she tried to fight it. But, oh, how Mukotsu had seen them fight before. Fight, fight, fight, and always lose.
 
Slowly, a sickening smile spread across his face.
 
- - - - - -
 
“Tsunade-baa-chan, what is—?”
 
“Genjutsu,” Ibiki stated simply. “Mukotsu is known for his talent of making deadly poison, but people are less informed of the fact that he is also a Genjutsu Master.”
 
Stepping forward, Temari demanded, “And you did not think that was important enough to tell Kagome?! She could end up losing her mind because you decided to keep that little piece of information to yourself—!”
 
Tugging again at the blonde woman's sleeve, Rin smiled when her wide eyes looked down upon her. “But that is why Kagome-chan is the best person for this—!” she tried.
 
“Do you know what you're saying?” Temari frowned. “Genjutsu can—!”
 
“It'll be okay.” Rin patted the woman's arm softly, saying, “Rin knows that Kagome-chan can do it, so you don't have to worry about her! As long as she has people that love her, Kagome-chan can do anything!”
 
“You seem to be forgetting that you yourself informed me of the fact that Kagome appeared unaffected by Orochimaru's attempts to use genjutsu on her, Temari,” Tsunade sighed. “That is the reason we thought it best not to inform her, since there is a highly possibility that it is, in fact, the demon inside of her protecting her from it.”
 
Sasuke placed his hand on Naruto's arm when he stiffened. However, his eyes were drawn to where the Kazekage stood, silent and stiff, while his aqua colored eyes watched the scene below.
 
Grinning, Rin patted Temari's arm again, before turning her attention back to the arena.
 
- - - - - -
 
Uh?” Mukotsu's beady eyes widened, as the woman's glazed eyes shifted a little away from his gaze. It had been so close, how had she—!
 
A shadow crossed the woman's eyes swiftly, driving away the glazed over appearance. Then, against all logic, her beautiful orbs hardened and focused upon him again. Her lip lifted in a silent, dog-like snarl, and she spoke with a voice that made Mukotsu shiver.
 
“Did you honestly believe that such a weak genjutsu would effect me?”
 
His smile faltering, Mukotsu demanded, “How did you break through? No one has ever broken through my genjutsu before!”
 
There was something menacing in her gaze, something that had not been there before. Mukotsu could not place it, he could not even say what had brought it on, but instinct forced him to take a step back when she stepped forward.
 
“Where are you going?” she teased. Her smile spread, carrying the same menacing appearance, as her entire stance seemed to change in that moment. “You're not thinking about running away, are you?”
 
Pity,” Mukotsu spat, ignoring her statement. “You would have made such a beautiful bride—”
 
Bride?
 
“—but, I suppose, I'll just have to destroy your mind completely.” Mukotsu licked his lips, knowing that even with her mind destroyed her body could bring him such pleasure. “You'll still be of some use to me then, but you certainly won't be as stubborn as you are now.”
 
“You know,” her voice was chilling, “the last man to say that to me was ripped a part in a very unpleasant way. And I delighted in the blood that he chose to share with me in that moment.”
 
“Perhaps,” Mukotsu hollered, “but I doubt that that man was a Genjutsu Master!”
 
“Genjutsu Master…?”
 
Mukotsu hissed, as she began to laugh, and quickly unleashed his most devastating technique. It was sure to turn the woman's mind into a puddle of goo after casting her deep into lunacy, and then her body would be his to play with! His, his, his, and there would be no one to stand in his way!
 
It only took a moment, and then she was reaching up and grasping desperately at her skull. She screamed, a bloodcurdling sound that no doubt came from deep within her chest, and began to dig her nails into her flesh to stop the pain.
 
Mukotsu grinned at the sight of it, his face twisting into a hideous mess.
 
Her head thrashing back and forth, Mukotsu was a bit surprised when she paused. Her head fell almost limp, her hair keeping him from catching sight of her eyes, and he wondered if she was so weak to succumb so quickly. But then, gazing closer, he realized that he could indeed see a single orb staring at him.
 
A dark, winding abyss awaited him there.
 
His mouth falling open, Mukotsu watched in horror as the woman's eye bled until it was the color of blood. Then, her back arching, fur sprouting along her flesh, and her luscious form twisting and growing, the form of a dog quickly came into being where she had once stood.
 
The beast snarled only once, blood and gore dripping from its mouth. It lunged then, its eyes filled with terror and agony, and remaining the focus of Mukotsu's own personal Hell.
 
The ugly little man was barely even given a chance to scream.
 
- - - - - -
 
“Did you catch that, Ibiki?” Tsunade asked, watching as Mukotsu's screaming body finally ceased and merely twitched upon the ground. But, even those disappeared after a moment and then there was no signs of life from the traitor.
 
“Yes, Tsunade-sama,” Ibiki nodded. “It appeared that Mukotsu attempted to catch her within one of his more powerful techniques, and she overpowered it with one of her own.”
 
Tsunade narrowed her eyes. The girl just kept coming up with new tricks, and Tsunade had still not seen any of her described techniques. Life hated her, Tsunade decided. It simply hated her.
 
“That was Houkou's doing.”
 
Glancing over at the silent Kazekage, Tsunade frowned. “Are you positive?”
 
Gaara nodded, saying, “There was a spike of visible white chakra around her before the technique was unleashed. That chakra, from what I have seen, belongs to the demon.”
 
“I can confirm that, Hokage-sama,” Sasuke stated.
 
“Great,” Tsunade sighed. “And just when I was beginning to hope the demon inside of her would take a nap for a while.”
 
“Kagome-chan, you were amazing!”
 
Lifting his gaze, Gaara realized that he had not even noticed the woman approaching. He frowned only to himself, knowing that while he should watch the woman carefully as the Hokage was doing, he simply found he could not.
 
“That man was incredibly weak,” Kagome scoffed down at the girl. “I did not even have to lift my finger.”
 
“Rin still thinks that you're amazing, Kagome-chan!” Rin smiled happily.
 
Gaara noticed the way her stance shifted immediately, as she stared down at the young, admiring girl. A smirk lifted on her lip, and it was obvious to him that she was quite proud of the fact that she had pleased the girl.
 
“While that technique was impressive,” Tsunade spoke up, “you did not show me your forbidden techniques as promised, Kagome.”
 
“What can I say?” Kagome placed her hand on Rin's head, ruffling her hair in a way she had once seen another do. The girl seemed pleased by the affection, and she, herself, did not feel as suffocated by Houkou's presence as she did when he swept in and dealt with the genjutsu focused upon her. “He was not worth playing with.”
 
Such weak blood,” Houkou agreed.