Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ - When mistakes are made - ❯ three ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Getting home was no easy task for the Uchiha, and his wet clothes - that clung to him most uncomfortably - had very little to do with it. He was simply too busy replaying the scene by the lake over and over again in his mind, therefore failing to pay attention to his pace or surroundings.
 
The Jounin, who was following him for some time now, found all this to be rather amusing. He couldn't begin to imagine what could cause Sasuke to sulk like that, but it must be something worth investigating.
Therefore, as the Uchiha turned in the direction of his home, Kakashi happily followed, only to be stopped dead in his tracks by a very exhausted voice.
 
“When you have that smile plastered on your face, I know you're up to something, Hatake-san.”
 
If possible, the Jounin's smile grew only wider under his mask. If Uchiha's pace had anything to do with it, it will surely take him a while to get home. That means I have few minutes to spare…
 
“Umino-san,” he said lightly and turned to face the man at question, momentarily forgetting all about Sasuke. His clothes were dirty and his hair untied - Kakashi noticed that he looked just like someone from his Icha Icha Paradise books. Third volume, to be more precise.
 
Iruka watched his colleague stare at him with that silly smile and an odd glint in his one visible eye and couldn't help but smile back. Although his smile was more timid and reserved, Kakashi found it to be the most beautiful view he'd ever got to witness.
 
“Worried that I might show this smile to people other than you, hmm?”
 
The warm smile was replaced by a surprised “o” and a deep blush covered Iruka's cheeks. Adorable…
 
While his own face revealed nothing but ambiguity, Iruka's feelings could be read like an open book. He was always honest about his ideas and beliefs, at times even painfully so, and he had a certain way with words that on some occasions he even managed to talk Kakashi into making a fool of himself, deliberately. Now that's what I call `conversation skills'.
 
Ironically enough, Iruka was somewhat the quite type. Only talking when spoken to, he was much more of a listener. Perhaps that, combined with the usually warm and welcoming aura around him, is what made so many people, students and staff included, to head to him for advice. He was simply understanding.
 
I wonder if you understand yourself as well as you understand others, Kakashi thought, his goofy smile suddenly gone. It was no secret that he took a liking in the man, but whenever he tried to hint on the subject, Iruka will just look at him innocently then dismiss the topic with a smile.
But Kakashi wasn't blind. Not once he caught Iruka glancing at him from the corner of his eye, pretending to read the reports submitter by the shinobi but not flipping the pages over once in half an hour. Even Sakura had had enough after watching their silent exchanges. “Got talk to him!” she will whisper as she passed by, and Kakashi could only nod, not knowing how to explain to the girl that with Iruka, talking seemed to lead absolutely nowhere.
 
“Iruka-san?”
 
The said man looked even more taken aback by the change in Kakashi's tone. It wasn't unusual for him to be teased by the man, but this time his name was spoken with a slight fatigue to it, almost as if Kakashi unintentionally sighed it aloud.
The Jounin was then approaching him slowly, deliberately taking careful steps as though unsure why he was coming closer in the first place. He seemed rather lost, stepping on unfamiliar grounds and searching for the right words, yet unknowing what is it that he wants to say. It was a rare sight, and worry was etched all over Iruka's face.
“Do you not like me?”
 
The question was out before he could think it over in his mind. Damn, Kakashi cursed himself and ran a nervous hand through his hair. Are you trying to scare him off again?
 
Whatever words Iruka expected, it wasn't even remotely close to that. “Kakashi…,” he mumble, not knowing what to say. The question was pretty simple, but…
 
`Do you not like me?'
 
… What is the meaning behind it? Has Iruka somehow showed him he disliked him? Or should he read deeper into that question?
 
“I—I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Hatake-san.”
 
“Che,” what's done is done. Taking one more step, Kakashi was standing in front of the Chuunin, a mere foot of fresh night air separating them, “just answer the question, Iruka. Do you not like me?”
 
Iruka had the sudden urge to gulp. Kakashi was standing too close, breathing into his personal space, and yet he dared not move from this obviously compromising position. He looked away from the one eye that was studying him closely, choosing to stare at the mask covering half of the man's face instead.
 
“Why would you ask that? Of course I do not dislike you.”
 
Yes, that way it was definitely easier. The mask Kakashi wore was surely unnerving, but it also helped Iruka keep his distance with the man. He was a stranger when the mask was taken into account, thus making it easier for Iruka to talk to him. He was sure he wouldn't be able to face the man without it.
 
Kakashi's one visible eye searched the brown orbs of the other man, but they were once more fixed elsewhere. Never, not even once had Iruka held his gaze for more than few seconds. It made Kakashi angry for some reason, and for once he didn't feel like holding it inside.
 
“Why won't you look at me?” he asked, but there was barely a hint of anger in his voice, “am I that intimidating?”
 
Iruka then flushed an even deeper shade of red, fumbling with his words. “It's—it's not that. I'm just…,” he closed his eyes, unable to understand why he felt so weak and speechless in this man's presence, “It's your eye.”
 
“My eye?”
 
“Your eye, it's—there's only one. I'm not used—“
 
He was making a fool of himself in front of this man, casually babbling about serious topics that were none of his business. What an idiot! He berated himself and squeezed his eyes shut even more.
 
Suddenly two fingers were gripping his chin and pulling it upwards. Opening his eyes, Iruka found himself staring into mismatched ones, which held something akin to determination in them.
 
“Better now?” a deep voice asked, but Iruka was too lost in the orbs in front of him to notice. There were so many different emotions reflected in those eyes, memories, wisdom… When the question finally registered in his mind, he nodded dumbly.
 
“So do you like me?” the same voice asked, and a thumb was lightly caressing his chin.
 
“I lo—” -ve you. Realizing what he was about to say, a look of horror descended on Iruka's face. What am I doing?! Why am I confiding in a man who obviously harbors nothing but mild yet temporary sexual feelings for me?! I promised to myself, I promised...
 
“I must go now,” he said instead, and took few steps backwards. He noticed the sudden change in Kakashi's stance, the way his shoulders tensed and his eyes narrowed in a manner than can only be qualified as dangerous. Everything that happened - or almost did - in those few moments, scared Iruka. And now that the man in front of him was staring at him oddly again, Iruka regretted ever approaching him tonight in the first place.
 
“G—good night,” he stammered and ran off, trying to convince himself that his erratic heartbeat was due to the physical effort. Just when did handling someone become so problematic?
 
Meanwhile, Kakashi was fighting his inner self that told him to run after the Chuunin and demand full answers and finished admissions. A gentle pull, a fierce push - that is all he got from the brown-eyed beauty, and yet their eyes agreed on flaring desire whenever they met. Why was he fighting something that they both knew was there for a long time now?
 
“Che… next time,” Kakashi promised, pulling his headband down to cover his scarred eye, “next time I will definitely catch you, my beautiful dolphin.”
 
-----
 
After what seemed like ages, Sasuke finally managed to reach the door to his apartment. Snapping out of his musing, he noticed that the night has already descended and that there was no light in the other houses.
 
“Did I get lost on my way …?” he wondered aloud. It was more of an observation than a question, therefore he was rather surprised to actually get a response.
 
“You sure did,” a voice behind him drawled, “and boy! You are getting good at it!”
 
“Kakashi-san,” the boy sighed and leaned against the door-frame. He really wasn't in the mood for this. “Isn't it a bit late for late night visits?”
 
He knew that he was just wasting his breath, and the smile he heard in the Jounin's voice served to prove him right.
 
“That's why they're called `late night', Sasuke-kun,” the other man answered happily, and after a brief pause added in a somewhat serious tone, “besides, it is better to discuss missions while the world is sound asleep, don't you think?”
 
I'd rather join that world now, he thought, but left the door open behind him nevertheless. Missions cannot be postponed, especially if they are special-delivered to your doorstep.
 
“Do come in, and don't make yourself at home.”
 
“Oh, does that mean you will actually brew some tea for us? Great!”
 
“Smart-ass,” Sasuke grumbled to himself and paced to the kitchen.
 
Once the tea was ready, and they were comfortably seated, Kakashi decided they have wasted enough time.
 
“At dawn, you will leave Konoha for two weeks, a month maximum…”
 
---
 
 
Dobe,
 
Naruto…
 
I am leaving tonight, and what I have to tell you cannot wait. Come meet me at the forest after midnight.
 
Uchiha.
 
 
Sasuke reread the few words he managed to squeeze out of himself once more. When he was sure that the note didn't give anything away, he folded the paper and slid it into a brownish envelope, scribbling a hasty `Dobe' on it.
 
The mission he spent hours discussing with Kakashi turned out to be not only S-ranked, but it involved his brother as well. And whenever `Itachi' was voiced, `Death' came to mind immediately. Therefore, he absolutely had to see Naruto today. He just hopped that Naruto will give him a chance to explain…
 
… that I love you, Dobe. And I'm sorry.
 
---
 
 
That was nice! Naruto thought to himself as he literally almost skipped in the street. His little encounter with Neji sure did him good, took his mind away from what happened earlier that day. But Sasuke's words still rang in his head…
 
“I love you”
 
Che… has it become natural to hurt the ones you love?
 
But then it occurred to Naruto that maybe Sasuke never meant those three words that were so rarely directed at him. Was he feeling sorry for me? Did he say that out of pity?
 
When he reached his building, Naruto was no longer as giddy as earlier. And how did thoughts of Sasuke manage to turn his world upside down in few seconds, he had no idea. But dwelling on things could never lead to anything besides headaches, he was sure, so instead of living on `what-ifs', Naruto decided to speak to Sasuke first thing tomorrow morning.
Maybe I did push a bit too far that time by the lake, he thought as he climbed the stairs, Maybe—no. I didn't do anything besides saving his ass. I didn't mock him, he just misunderstood. But he… he said such awful things…
 
Willing his emotions to calm down, he pressed his forehead to his door. Its cool and smooth surface soothed him somewhat, but not the way a good hot shower would.
 
Hating to waste anymore time on useless reminiscence, Naruto unlocked the door and all but ran inside. He dropped his keys on a nearby table and was about to rush to the bath, when an envelope lying on the table caught his eye. The word `Dobe' was written on it, and Naruto felt a smile tug at his lips at the endearment.
 
He reached over the table to grab at the paper, but then decided against it. Whatever was written in there could wait until tomorrow morning. He was not going to ruin this evening even more, but if it held anything good, then it will be a great way to start the day.
 
To be continued…
 
----
 
A/N: I know, you hate me. But I just HAD to, you see? Reviews are welcome.