Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ 11 Ways ❯ Shocked ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Seven: Singled out
 
The first time Kakashi noticed that Sakura didn't flirt with any of his peers he was shocked.
 
It was something that he'd never truly paid attention to before, but now that he did he was baffled by the conclusion.
 
She didn't flirt with Asuma or Gai, which wasn't surprising at all really (considering the former was unofficially spoken for and the other was, well, Gai), but neither did she flirt with Kotetsu or Izumo and the two of them were hardly ancient. Actually, it seemed she didn't joke around with anyone who was more than a year or two older than her - except for him.
 
Of course Genma was the exception as always. It wasn't that Sakura actually flirted with the man, it was just that he could somehow find a way to take literally anything said to him as innuendo. A woman could be reciting her grocery list and he could concoct anything from assuming an invite to eat lunch to more … imaginative ways to use the purchased items.
 
More than once he'd had to shake his head as he watched Sakura sucker-punch the man into a far corner after he'd not taken her hint, then turned to watch amusedly as she'd made her way over to him.
 
Only recently had this started to disturb him. She would sit down next to him and talk like she hadn't just turned a high-ranking jounin into a blob of groaning agony slumped against the wall, pretending that the world was fine and dandy if he had to judge by the smile on her face.
 
It was the smile this last time that finally caught him up to speed. He desperately searched his memory for any reason she'd be reacting like this to him. Was there a new bet going on? Was she up for a promotion and needed a recommendation? Had she just burned his entire collection of Icha Icha? Did she kill Pakkun? …What did she want?
 
Only he was coming to discover, as she sat there contently twirling the ice in her drink with one finger, she wasn't covering for anything. There was no edginess about her, no furtive glances or nervous gestures.
 
It seemed she was sitting and talking with him just to sit and talk with him.
 
He was at a loss for what this meant. For him to be so singled out amongst all the other males of his age…
 
Thinking back on it, he couldn't actually be sure that this was the first time he was given such preferential treatment. Had she ever flirted with Asuma and the others or had he just taken it for granted that she did? Of course he'd seen them speak, they were all jounin level shinobi of course and comrades of a sort. But that didn't mean…
 
He turned to look at her with a suspicious glance but she was nonplussed and kept right on chattering away.
 
What did this mean?