Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ 1923 ❯ Act 8: The Game and the Answer? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

1923: ACT 8 - THE PROPOSITION AND THE ANSWER?
 
 
Disclaimer: Yuppers, I've come up with a fool proof plan to get Sasuke and Naruto. Distract Kishimoto-san with lots of pocky, grab and bind the two, escape on a jet plane to Hawaii, change our identities and live on coconut juice wearing only grass skirts. -sparkles, hearts- Mmm…beach smex (makes a note not to forget videocamera).
 
Warning: Dun dun dun…Sasuke's game!
 
o0o
o0o
 
The music started dying down, most of the people had sat down in the chairs, worn and tired. Naruto wiped some beads of sweat off his face and grinned at Hinata and Neji across from him. They too were tired and had their hands on their knees, taking quick gasps of air.
 
“Man, that was darb(1)! You two are great gigolos(2)!”
 
“I-I'm not really allowed to dance The Charleston, b-but that was f-fun!” Hinata smiled at the blond.
 
“This sure beat waltzing.” Neji added.
 
“Naruto!” Kakashi suddenly appear behind the blond, his voice stern though his face didn't look it. “There you are! I was wondering what all the ruckus was about. It seems like you were the one who was responsible for it.”
 
Naruto jumped slightly at the butler's voice, and turned around to laugh sheepishly at him. “Eh-he, thought the place needed a little livening up?”
 
Kakashi chuckled and ruffled his hair, “I guess it's alright, at least no one seems to be complaining.” He turned a little and bowed to Hinata and Neji. “Mr. and Miss Hyuuga, hope he didn't cause too much trouble.”
 
A moment of awkward silence passed.
 
“HE!?!” Neji shouted.
 
“N-Naruto's a b-boy?”
 
Kakashi raised his head up, much amused by their outburst. “Well…genetically, yes. Appearance-wise, not so much.”
 
“HEY!” Naruto retorted to the butler, then turning to the Hyuugas, he clasped his hands together and bowed his head. “I'm so sorry! I forgot to tell you two sooner! You must think I'm trying to double-cross you(3), but I'm not! I was forced to wear this dress, I swear!”
 
Neji turned his head sideways, slightly blushing, though refused to reply.
 
Hinata, who had been quite red, now recovered slightly. “A-Ah, Naruto…it's o-ok, you don't have to a-apologize.”
 
Naruto grabbed the girl's hands appreciatively, “Hinata! You're so nice to me!” He said, tearing up.
She blushed, “E-Eh?...ah…no…n-not really…”
 
The blond, suddenly remembering his manners, proclaimed; “You must thirsty Hinata! You too, Neji! I'll go get drinks for everyone.”
 
“Me as well?” Kakashi inquired.
 
“No, you go get your own!”
 
“How mean…” the silver haired butler feigned sadness.
 
Naruto stuck out his tongue at him and turned around to make his way towards the punch stand. Grabbing two cups, he ladled in the pink liquid until they were full, he was just about to return with them when a woman came up to him. Her spiky blond hair tied up in 4 places and she wore an elegant lavender coloured flapper dress; in her hand she held a long cigarette holder even though there was nothing on the end of it. She came up to him and gave an once-over glance.
 
“I presume you are Naruto Uzumaki?”
 
“Uh, yes.” Naruto replied in confusion for he had never seen her before and wondered how she knew his name. “And you are?”
 
“Tamari, I'm Gaara's sister.”
 
Naruto's lips formed into an `o', being unsure what to say.
 
The blonde girl tilted her head towards an exit. “Gaara wants to speak to you.”
 
Naruto sputtered, “What!...Why?...B-But- ” He looked down at the two glasses in his hands.
 
“I suggest you come right now, my brother hates waiting.”
 
There was something about Tamari's look that made Naruto put down the drinks. It was a stern gaze, yet it wavered; he couldn't quite put his finger on it. But he could tell this was important. The girl turned around, gesturing towards Naruto to follow her; he nodded. She led the way through a side door and into a series of long hallways, the number of people in them becoming less and less as they turned at each corner. Finally she stopped right before a bend, and turned around, not meeting Naruto's gaze. Tamari, in a quiet whisper, told him to walk around the corner; that was where Gaara was.
 
Naruto gulped and took a few steps forward, he turned to thank the girl, but she was already walking away.
 
He exhaled slowly and rounded the corner.
 
There was a mini-lounge that was situated at the corner of where the two hallways met, Gaara sat in one of the chairs there. His red hair gleamed even under the dim light, his eyes were closed but there was a confident smirk on his face. Two men dressed in black tuxedos stood beside him, one of them carrying a metal briefcase.
 
“Uh…G-Gaara? You wanted to talk to me?” Naruto meekly spoke out, nervously approaching him.
 
The redhead opened his eyes and his green eyes gleamed. He placed his hands together in front of him; “Yes.” Gaara reached over beside him to take a champagne glass off the table, taking a sip as he scrutinized the blond in front of him. Naruto felt unpleasant shivers throughout his body, and suddenly got the urge to bolt out of there and run as far away as possible. Every bit of the situation seemed wrong - from Sasuke not showing up, to the strange look in the girl's eyes. This cannot be good.
 
“Enjoying the party?” Gaara asked leisurely as he placed his drink back on the side table.
 
“Uh… Y-Yeah, I am.” Naruto unconsciously bit his lip.
 
Gaara smirked, “I must compliment you on your choice of dress, you look…lovely.”
 
This time Naruto got a little angry, despite his nervousness. “Look, can we stop beating around the bush? You called me here, I'm here now; so just get straight to the point.”
 
The redhead chuckled in delight, “You're a feisty one…I can see why the Uchiha likes you.”
 
Naruto's face grew hot and his hands trembled in rage, but he kept his mouth shut.
 
“Alright, I'll get to the point then.” He looked straight at the blond and smiled his cold smile. “I hear you owe the Uchiha a bit of money.”
 
“I've almost paid it off.” Naruto replied firmly.
 
“I have a bit of a proposition for you. I suspect after your done working for him, he'll just throw you away and forget all about your existence--”
 
“Sasuke wouldn't do that!” The blond in front of him shouted.
 
“Ah, but that's the kind of person he is. The truth of the matter is that all of his previous relationships have never lasted for more than three months. Also, if he were to have a serious relationship, he would marry a woman, of course one of high social standing, to carry on his lineage.”
 
Naruto looked down at the floor, realizing what he said was right. Even if they loved each other; he's a man, meaning they could never truly be together.
 
“Why not leave him right now? You're going to be discarded sooner or later. Leave him before he hurts you.” Gaara beckoned to one of the men behind him, the man came up beside him and opened the suitcase, displaying its contents: rows and rows of cold hard cash

“Here is 10,000 dollars(4). Come work for me Naruto, and this will be yours. Just break it off with the Uchiha and prove your loyalty to me by giving yourself to me for one night.” Gaara grinned confidently, and waited for the blond's answer.
 
o0o0o0o0o0o0o
 
Sasuke leaned against the cool white wall, careful to keep his breathing under control so that he was not heard. His heart thumped wildly—hammering against his ribs like a ferocious animal trying to break out of its cage. He dared a peek around the corner, and saw the redhead sitting in a relaxed position in his chair, sneering ever so slightly. Naruto had his head bowed down, silent and unmoving.
 
How Sasuke wanted to wipe that smirk off Gaara's face. He wanted to punch him, knock him out and carve `Naruto's mine' on that hated pale skin.
 
But he was weak.
 
Sasuke knew it, it was undeniable. He was insecure, skeptical, and paranoid. He did not like grief, he did not like sorrow, and did not like pain. He never wanted to get hurt again, not since his parents deaths, so he put up a shield; a mask in which to hide behind.
He did not know when the blond did it. Perhaps it was the moment he met him, perhaps it was just now. But this blond broke down the shield, intentionally or unintentionally, he had stripped him bare.
 
This game was horrible, he knew. But it was unavoidable; he wanted the assurance, he needed the confirmation.
 
o0o0o0o0o0o0o
 
Naruto stood motionless for a long time.
Finally the blond slowly raised his head up, he looked at Gaara for a moment and then looked at the briefcase full of money.
 
He took a step.
 
Then another.
 
And another, until he stood in front of the rows of cash.
Gingerly, with a shaky hand, he reached towards the money.
 
Gaara's smirk split all across his face.
 
o0o0o0o0o0o0o
 
Sasuke's heart stopped thumping—he could not be sure it beat at all.
 
He was now running, his mind barely registering that. He just knew he had to get away.
Something lodged in his throat and his lungs felt constricted.
His vision blurred.
His legs burned.
 
Still he ran,
as if he ran fast enough, he could outrun the pain.
 
-End Act 8-
 
o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
 
(1) darb - great person or thing
(2) gigolo - dancing partner
(3) double-cross - to cheat, to lie to
(4) Again, remember that average annual earnings were about $1,000. So $10,000 would be considered a lot.
 
A/N: Oh please don't hate me…I'm sorry for ending it there. I'm sorry this chapter is so short. And no, this isn't what it sounds like! Everything will be clear in the next chapter!
Which I gotta tell you… it might be delayed as I have 2 tests and 2 essays due next week. Eek! -runs away-
 
Mediaminer fans: I'm sorry but I won't be posting on mediaminer anymore, please go to fanfiction.net to read my future chapters. Sorry for any inconveniences.
 
TONFA fans: I'm sorry but I won't be posting on TONFA anymore, please go to fanfiction.net to read my future chapters. It's more convenient for me if I just post in one place, plus the editing is easier there. Sorry for any inconveniences.
 
Next update: Not sure, but I'll aim for Sat, March 31. I can't promise though… Blame my teachers!