Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Against All Odds ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, Kishomoto and the companies that distributes Naruto does. This is done for personal entertainment only.
Author's Note: This story was originally written for a friend of mine who enjoys shoujo-ai fics (). Years later, I have done a thorough edit of this story so that I can submit it to the Max Challenge Contest of '08. Currently, a comic of the story is in the works, if you are logged in and would like a notification, let me know in a review and I will personally send a note to you where the comics will be hosted. Now, without a further ado… enjoy!
 
Sakura walked along the streets of Konoha with her arms wrapped around Sasuke's left arm, talking about how nice it would be to have dinner tonight at one of the fancier restaurants.
 
Sasuke looked away, letting out a low rumbling within his chest and did a quick exhale of his breath. He looked down at Sakura, glaring.
 
“Okay, you know what, Sakura?”
 
“What is it, Sasuke-kun?” she asked, concerned.
 
“Get your hands off me,” he said.
 
“W-What?” Sakura asked, blinking in surprise, frozen.
 
Sasuke pulled away, his attitude still on his face.
 
“I'm sick of your cheery attitude,” Sasuke said. “I don't ever want to be near you again. Oh, except in missions.”
 
Sakura's eyes widened at Sasuke words, mouthing in protest. He cut her off by continuing his line of speech.
 
“From this point on, it's strictly comrades-relationship only. Got it?”
 
Sakura stared at him, her arms going weak as the feeling in her knees shook. Her breathing became shallow and getting more difficult to get oxygen to her brain. She saw black spots appearing in her vision.
 
“No, please, I'm sorry! I don't want to be away from you, Sasuke! I need you!” she said, walking towards him, tears brimming her eyes.
 
`I will NEVER let you go, Sasuke!' her inner Sakura screamed, punching the air angrily. `NEVER! You are mine, Sasuke. Only mine, mine, mine!'
 
“Well, that's just too bad, Sakura, but this is the end of the road to our… intimate relationship. And you know what?” he said, crossing his arms.
 
“This whole thing was just a big farce. I pitied you so I became your boyfriend.”
 
He paused for a moment for Sakura's even more undivided attention.
 
“I never liked you,” Sasuke said, turning around, “in the first place.”
 
Sakura felt her chest clenched, unable to breathe.
 
“Besides, I like someone else and it's not you or any of the girls. So, well, good bye,” he said and left.
 
Sakura couldn't find the will to force her legs to run after him, even as Inner Sakura was screaming at her body to move. She couldn't run.
 
`No! Sasuke, come back!' both herselves yelled with anguish and anger.
 
`Damnit Sakura, go chase him! I refuse to let him go!' she yelled.
 
`But… he said he pitied me to date me… only out of pity. There's nothing more I can stand than pity dates. Sasuke…' she thought, sniffling.
 
Her shallow breaths became shallower as the black dots in her vision became bigger and darker. `Ino… I'm so sorry. Our friendship ruined… it wasn't worth losing our friendship, he isn't the guy we wished he were…'
 
She fell forward, her body feeling as though she was floating on air as a feather. Slightly shuddering against the blackness of her mind, she felt something soft grabbing her as she became absorbed by the dark world.
 
nmnmnmnm
 
Sakura felt the pull of her inner Sakura pull her into consciousness and put a finger to her mouth to be quiet. Her body felt heavy, so she obeyed her inner thoughts, she couldn't have made any noise if she wanted to.
 
“I found her collapsing and brought her here,” someone said.
 
“What happened?” asked a gruff voice.
 
“I don't know, her cheeks were stained with tears, so she probably had a panic attack or something like that,” the person replied.
 
“Hm, I wonder what was that all about…” muttered the other person, “Well, if that is all, I'll leave you here in case she wakes up.”
 
“Okay Asuma-sensei,” the other voice replied.
 
“Bye, Ino,” he said, closing the door.
 
`Ino! Of all people, she had to catch me at my weakest moment! How dare she…' her inner Sakura screamed.
 
`But I'm glad she found me,' protested Sakura, `You know we now regret losing our friendship over Sasuke.'
 
`Whatever,' she said.
 
“Ino…” Sakura said softly, opening her eyes.
 
“Sakura!” she said, running to her side of the bed. “How are you? How did you know who I was?”
 
“Fine, just a big headache is all,” she replied, “and I overheard the last bit of conversation you had with Asuma-sensei.”
 
“Oh… I see. Well, that happens if you cry too much,” Ino said, smirking.
 
“Yeah…”
 
“So, what happened? I mean, you don't have to tell me, just that you'll stay here until you're better,” she asked, sitting down in a chair.
 
“…Sasuke said he only went out with me because he pitied me,” Sakura said in a breath, clenching her fist and clutched the blanket in her hands.
 
“Pity boyfriend?” asked Ino, leaning forward, glaring. “How dare he, that's the lowest of the low! I'll get that bastard!”
 
“No, don't,” Sakura said softly, shaking her head.
 
`But I want revenge on that bastard too!' she yelled at Sakura.
 
`Shut up, I am tired of hearing you.'
 
“Ugh, if he pity dated you, then I'm sure, if given a chance, he'll do the same with me!” Ino said, crossing her arms in anger. “Did he say anything else?”
 
“Yeah…” she replied, “he said he didn't like any girls here…”
 
Ino gasped, “No… can it be that he's gay?” she asked, covering her mouth in shock.
 
“Don't jump to conclusion, I guess he was implying that he doesn't like any girls from Konoha,” Sakura said, shrugging one shoulder.
 
Sakura felt hurt, betrayed by Sasuke and shook her head to get a grip on herself.
 
She looked at Ino and looked away, frowning.
 
“I'll never look at him the same way again,” Sakura said, “and yet, we're only thirteen! If your conclusion is true… then how can he just decide that he doesn't like girls? Can people do that, that early on?”
 
“I don't know Sakura, this sort of thing isn't very common. I can't say… but maybe he's lying to you so you could get over him sooner. Though, I think this is the lousiest way to do it.”
 
The silence followed the conversation as the two thought about Sasuke and their friendship with each other. Sakura still regretted becoming Ino's rival these past two years.
 
`Why did I ever become an enemy of hers?' Sakura wondered.
 
Ino looked at Sakura, and grimace in sympathy then looked away and stared outside her window.
 
`I can't believe it, after all this time,' Ino thought, `it was a bad decision to stop being Sakura's friend. That we became enemies because of our obsession with Sasuke.'
 
Ino looked down and studied her fingers.
 
`Even if he was lying that he doesn't like any girls here or if he likes them at all… I want to find out if that's true. Then maybe there's some hope for—no, this is my friend we're talking about!' Ino thought, clenching her fists mentally, `A friendship ruined by a boy. If I remember right, it was a big no-no in all those magazines we used to read… and we didn't heed their advice. Damnit! We are so stupid.''
 
Growling quietly to herself, `I hate you, Sasuke,' Ino thought, `Inadvertently turning us against each other! Even though… it wasn't your fault…'
 
Ino cleared her throat, standing up, looking at Sakura, unsure of herself.
 
“Uhm, well, do you want anything to drink?” Ino asked.
 
“I would like that,” Sakura said, happy that the silence was broken.
 
Ino smiled awkwardly back, and turned to leave the room. She felt a light rush of blood rush to her cheeks. Confused, she touched one of her cheek with her left hand as she closed the door behind her, and felt slightly dizzy.
 
`Huh? Why am I feeling light-headed and blushing?' Ino asked herself as she entered the kitchen.
 
nmnmnmnm
Sakura looked outside and saw a bird landing on the window sill. She smiled softly and thought of Ino. She felt a rising temperature in her cheeks and touched them with both her hands, confused.
 
`Why do I feel better, just thinking about my friend?' she wondered.
 
`Well, gee, I wonder,' her inner Sakura said, `maybe it's because we like Ino!'
 
Sakura widened her eyes in surprise.
 
`I like Ino? But Sasuke!'