Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Alone in the World ❯ The Break In ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer-I don't own Naruto.

Alone in the World

Chapter Three

        “So, Naruto, I heard you missed training this morning,” Iruka said, as they sat eating.

        “How 'd you know that?” Naruto asked, through a mouth full of ramen.

        “Kaka shi told me,” Iruka said, “So, you wanna tell me why?”

        “ ;Uh, I went to sleep late last night and I woke up late.” Naruto said.

        “Reall y? Kakashi told me that you said that you had forgotten,” Iruka said.

        “Uh, that too,” Naruto said, cursing himself on the inside. How did he slip up like that? It had only been a few minutes since he just told that lie to Kakashi.

        “Yo u wanna know what I think?” Iruka asked, “I think you're lying.”

        Naru to sighed and looked down in shame at being caught in his lie. “And I think you're right.”

        Iruk a studied Naruto's face, “What's wrong? You know you can tell me,” Iruka said, sympathetically.

        & #8220;I know, but it's nothing. Yesterday was just a bad day for me.” Naruto said, avoiding the details.

        “Re ally? What happened?”

        & #8220;Nothing, nothing happened. I just had a bad day, that's all. Look, can we just drop it? I don't want to talk about it,” Naruto pleaded.

        “Al right, whatever you want,” Iruka said, turning back to his bowl of ramen. He looked over at Naruto and saw that he was hardly eating. Which really made him worried.

        They continued to eat in silence.

********************************************************* **************

         220;What are you two doing?” Kakashi asked, coming up from behind and surprising Sakura and Sasuke.

        They both jumped and tried to come up with an excuse as to why they were about to go into Naruto's house.

        “Uh, we're waiting for Naruto to come home.” Sakura said.

        “Reall y? Then why are you about to go into his house?” Kakashi countered.

        “ Uh, the door opened on it's own and we thought he was home after all.” Now it was Sasuke's turn to lie.

        “You're lying. But I won't tell anyone because I want to know what really happened to Naruto as well,” Kakashi said.

        Sasuke and Sakura sighed in relief at the news.

        “But if you ever lie again I'll make sure that you are punished severely,” Kakashi said, “Now, let's go inside.”

        Sas uke and Sakura straightened up at the threat and swallowed hard, while nodding their heads stiffly in agreement.

        Kakashi nodded and made his way through Naruto's front door, followed closely by Sasuke and Sakura.

********************************************************** *************

        Naru to was scared. He wanted to tell Iruka, but he couldn't seem to bring himself to do it. He felt bad for lying but he felt even worse when he couldn't tell Iruka why he had lied.

        “Ya know, how they say that even the people who never frown eventually break down,” Naruto said, breaking the silence that had formed between him and Master Iruka. It was the only thing he could think of.

        Iruka nodded his head in understanding.

         220;Well, sometimes I wonder why I try...and why I bother...and I...I wonder why I cry...why I go through all this trouble,” Naruto continued, haltingly.

        “ Naruto,” Iruka said, worriedly, “What's wrong, tell me.”

        “ It's nothing. Why are you so interested?” Naruto said, getting up. He was about to leave when Iruka stopped him.

        “I'm just worried about you, is that so wrong?” Iruka said.

        Naruto sighed and said, “No, I guess not, but there's nothing to worry about.”

        R 20;Really? Because I think there is.” Iruka said.

        “Well, this time you're wrong. There's nothing wrong and even if there were it wouldn't matter. Nothing matters.” Naruto said, leaving.

        “We ll, aren't you going to finish your ramen?” Iruka called after him as a last attempt to keep him from going.

        Naruto kept walking, pretending to not have heard Iruka. He wanted so badly to go back and tell him what was wrong, to tell him that he felt alone, and that he didn't think he could go on anymore, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it. It wasn't like he had anything major to tell him. Sure he was a little depressed and he had trashed his house, but it was nothing serious and there was no reason to tell anyone about it.

        Iruka sighed and turned back to his bowl of ramen.

        `Why won't you tell me what's bothering you, Naruto' He asked Naruto in his mind. After that conversation, Iruka was really starting to worry about Naruto. He was afraid that Naruto would do something stupid. If only Naruto would tell him what it was that was bothering him. He had a pretty good idea what it was but he couldn't do anything to help if Naruto didn't want him to.

************************************************************** *********

        Kakashi, Sakura, and Sasuke stood in Naruto's living room. They were shocked as to what they saw. There were bloodied footsteps on the floor. And there was a huge bloodstain on one of the already dirty couch cushion. There was nothing on his walls, unless you counted the cracks as something. The whole room gave off a feeling of loneliness. It was so cold, and distant, that Sakura didn't want to be in there anymore. She wanted to leave. She looked over to Sasuke to see what his reaction was and judging by the size of his eyes, she knew he was as shocked as she was.

        Sasuke was astonished. He thought his house was empty, but this was too much. He did have less stuff than Naruto, he didn't have a TV, but he didn't watch that much television anyway. But at least he didn't have cracks in the walls and blood on the floor. He was comfortable in his house. He couldn't imagine anyone being comfortable in a place like this.

        Kakashi had move on to another room. Whereas Sakura and Sasuke wanted to leave and, Kakashi knew there was more to see than just the living room. He walked into the kitchen and stopped short.

        `Well, at least he didn't lie about the broken plate,' he thought, `He just lied about how many he broke.'

        Kakashi made his way slowly into the kitchen, being wary of the glass. The last time he was here the worst that he saw was that Naruto's milk had expired. Now, all the glass in the kitchen was broken. He was really starting to worry now.

        `What could have made him do something like this?' he thought. Just then he heard Sakura and Sasuke come in.

        “Master Kakashi-” Sakura was cut off by her gasp, when she saw the kitchen.

        Kakashi turned around and said, “Watch out for the glass.”

        Sasu ke nodded his head, and looked around. He had never seen so much broken glass before. “What the hell happened here? It looks like a fight took place here.”

        ̶ 0;Seriously. That or somebody ransacked the place,” Sakura said, before adding, “Master Kakashi, do you think we should leave now? Naruto could be back any minute.”

         220;Naw, he won't be back anytime soon,” Kakashi, said.

        “How can you be so sure?” Sakura said, really wanting to leave.

        “You shouldn't worry, we have plenty of time to look around,” Kakashi said, reassuringly.

        R 20;Great,” Sakura mumbled under her breath, going off to search somewhere else.

        Sasuke followed Sakura to the other room, leaving Kakashi by himself. Kakashi sighed and looked around in disbelief. He hadn't thought it was this bad. He knew Naruto was depressed but he hadn't thought that it would lead to destructiveness. And to make matters worse was that he lied about it. Sakura interrupted Kakashi's thoughts.

        “M aster Kakashi, I think I found something that will help us find out more about Naruto,” She yelled.

        He walked quickly down the hall that led to Naruto's bedroom. He found himself not surprised to see the state that the room was in. There were clothes all over the place and more broken glass. Sakura and Sasuke were standing in the middle of the room. Sakura was holding a small black book.

        “What is it?” Kakashi asked.

        “It looks like Naruto's Journal.” Sasuke answered.

******************************************************** ***************

        Na ruto felt like crap. It didn't make sense; it was only a while ago that he was as happy as he had ever been. He knew that people actually care for him, and he wasn't alone after all. But know he wasn't so sure. What if they didn't really care? What if they only came because they had to?

        He sighed and shook the thoughts from his head. He was almost home; he stopped at the fork in the road. One road led to his house, and the other one led to.........Well, now that he thought about it, he didn't even know where the other one led. He had never really thought about it. Nor had he really cared, until now. He wondered what would happen if he took that other road. Where would he end up? Would it lead him to freedom? Or would it lead him straight back to his prison? He took a step towards the left, and stopped. Could he really leave? Could it be as simple as taking a different road? He looked down the right road. He couldn't see anything but the road, he looked down the left path, and it was identical to the right. There was nothing to tell him what was at the end of it. He sighed and took another step towards the left, but he stopped again. Memories of himself saying that he would be the future Hokage flashed in his mind. He took a deep breath. Was there anyway he could ever fulfill that dream? Or was it hopeless? He mustered up all his courage into his next move, and went down the right path.

************************************************************ ***********

A/N: Man, there are too many questions. They're making my head hurt. Anyway, review and tell me what you think about it. Thanks!