Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Art of the Angel ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“I just had some calls made.” Yashamaru said in a softly. “Hikari.. Will be going to Konohagakure. Her Aunt, Izumi Misaki, lives there, and will be watching over her. She’s being taken home tonight, while she’s still asleep.” Gaara fell down to his knees, silent for a long moment. “W-What? What about her father?!” Gaara got up, angry. Where was her father when all this happened? Did he know this has happened?? If he was Hikari’s father, he would be demanding where his daughter was, and would go there so fast, by the time Hikari would wake up, he would have been there with her, watching over her. Where was he? Yashamaru’s expression saddened. “Gaara… her father.” Gaara almost expected it as shock and realization mentally smacked him. A quick flashback went to when that horrible tan smirking man was talking with Hikari. “Your better off just drawing, since you’re nothing but a homeless brat.” She was homeless, that could have meant two things, each choice worse than the next.

“Uncle Yashamaru.. Please tell me. Did Hikari’s father abandon her, or is he…-” Gaara lowered his head. He felt his eyes moisten sadly. “-Dead?” Yashamaru didn’t answer for what seemed a long time. Whatever the answer was, Gaara on the inside didn’t want to hear a word of it. The bottom line was that… Hikari was going to leave. Leave the village. Leave all her friends and people she knew. Rei, Kaede, the art stand man, himself. Yashamaru lifted up Gaara’s chin. Gaara found himself looking into his uncle’s eyes. He looked so miserable, looking at Gaara with such pity and sorrow. “Gaara, tell me.” Yashamaru said gently. “How much does Hikari mean to you?” Gaara’s eyes welled up. “Hikari… she’s my angel. She’s been so n-nice to me. She never left my side, no matter what she heard, or…”- Gaara thought back to when he killed those men right in front of Hikari- “saw me do. She understands me, and I feel… wanted. I feel like someone in this world does care. I would do anything to have her with me.” Gaara wiped his eyes, he knew tears were going to roll down soon. Yashamaru seemed to have an even sadder look on his face, he lifted his hand and put his hand in Gaara’s hair, stroking it gently. Gaara buried his head in his Uncle’s chest. “S-she’s my friend.”

Yashamaru only held his youngest nephew close to him, he was feeling so unsure if he should tell him everything. Telling him the whole truth-may break Gaara down. He may fall into such a depression, it will drive him to insanity. Hikari obviously meant very much to Gaara, Yashamaru knew that so well now. He could see it all; Gaara really felt for this girl. Then again, if he put himself in Gaara’s shoes, he most likely would feel the same way. Hikari was Gaara’s light in the darkness. It was dreadful enough that Hikari was leaving, but it sounded like her aunt didn’t know anything about Hikari’s existence. He didn’t seem to know much about her father Saburo, either. Yashamaru loosened Gaara off of him. “I’ll tell you what I know about Hikari’s father, but… there will be some things… You need to be strong as you hear this, for the truth.. Will affect everyone.” Gaara didn’t feel ready, but he also didn’t feel much like he had a choice. He glanced at Hikari for a couple seconds, and averted back to his Uncle. “T-Tell me.”

Yashamaru sucked in a deep breath. “Saburo Ninomiya… was a very powerful ninja here at this village. He came here about five years ago with almost nothing. He came to the ninja academy telling us he was a jounin from the village in the mist. He had trained well, and he was indeed very talented. He was even rumored to be part of the special Ninomiya clan, however, not many people are sure what that clan can even do anymore. They were famous years before I was born, but nowadays, it was said people in the special Ninomiya clan were all deceased after a terrible war that passed a couple years back. So it seemed unlikely that Saburo was one. He was talented, but no one had the evidence that he was a legendary Ninomiya. He sometimes would draw us maps from the enemy on certain missions because his memory was amazing and he could copy things after only a passing glance at it. He learned many justu and was a valuable soldier at some times. He was known as a true ninja. But..” Yashamaru’s glance turned to Hikari.

“Saburo seemed to be very secretive, especially after rumor of his relation to the famous Ninomiya clan. I didn’t know that he was in any relationship of any sort, nevertheless had a child. Hikari doesn’t even look much like her own father, but she shares the same talent- incredible memorization and copying. She could probably be a lot like her father if she tried, but anyways-” Yashamaru lowered his head and a small smile that was on his face when he talked of Hikari’s father faded. “- Saburo was assigned a mission about possible two to three weeks ago, I kind of lost track. He didn’t want to do it at first, I remember him talking about it. It was an assassination mission,” Yashamaru paused. “An assassination attempt on you Gaara.”
Gaara got up to his feet, his breath was cut short. The scene returned. The playground. That strange man. It was adding together. He could see that man so clearly, remember him like it all happened just a few hours. He remembered how the man called him a good kid, how he was sorry he had to do this. It all.. Had that same kind tone… Hikari and the man. They looked nothing alike. It all fit.

Gaara felt his heart stop. That man… WAS her father! Gaara didn’t hold anything back, he broke loose. He cried so hard, clutching his head in pain. “I-I-I I killed him, didn’t I? I killed Hikari’s father! I did it!” He nearly screamed. But his voice sounded thick with grief. Yashamaru frowned and knelt next to Gaara. “I’m sorry Gaara,. I didn’t want to tell you, but I felt you should know.” Sorry wasn’t going to bring Hikari’s father back. Once she knows, she’ll hate him for sure. She may have given him chances before, but this was her father! Her father, the man she loved to talk about. The man who Hikari loved and looked up too so much she doubted his death for so long and just chose to wait for him, selling her art for money to give her food and a home in that restraunt. She was willing to lie to herself, or believe he was still alive. Hikari… loved her father. And he took that away from her. He really was horrible. He deserved Hikari’s hatred, he destroyed someone that meant so much to her. Gaara clutched his chest and cried. He was so much pain. He didn’t want any of it anymore. He wanted to die. Gaara couldn’t take anymore of this. He thought he could be saved, he thought Hikari could save him. He thought he could be normal, be free from his inner pain, be loved. That was impossible. He was just not meant for it. He didn’t deserve any of it.

Yashamaru glanced over at Hikari, his face lined with sadness, he looked back at Gaara. Seeing him suffer so much, he expected this. He immediately felt terrible for telling everything. He lightly patted Gaara’s back, and a teary aqua eye looked at him. “Gaara, if you want… Hikari doesn’t need to know about this. Her Aunt doesn’t know, so she won’t say anything. Even if she leaves, it’s not like you’ll never see her again.” Gaara turned his head back down, he hyperventilated for a quick second, and sighed. “D-don’t tell her. Please.” Gaara didn’t want this anymore. He didn’t want Hikari to know. He’ll just avoid her forever. Forget about her. Forget about all of this, all the pain, the truth, the great feelings he’ll never recognize again. It was over. His angel would fly away. No, he doesn’t have an angel. She is an angel, but not his. Monsters don’t get angels, they don’t deserve them. Gaara ran out of the living room, not taking one last look at her. But he did discreetly whisper, even though he knew Hikari wouldn’t ever hear this. “Goodbye Hikari. Forever.

---------------------------------------------- --------------------------------

* 10 years later….

Fall had arrived in Konoha, and what a beautiful time it was. The many forest trees had turned from a vivid green to reds, browns, and light orange. The leaves scattered across the forest floors and some marketplaces in the leaf village. Some people at markets had to sweep off their front steps because they wanted their stores to look tidy, and they complained so much on how the leaves at the fall were such a nuisance. The temperature had reached a nice comfortable number, it was at the point where you needed at least two layers of clothes, but you didn’t really feel the icy cold until the autumn breeze blew on your face. It was another nuisance to the people of this particular marketplace. Izumi, though, couldn’t care less. When someone asked her opinion, she would just say “Oh, to heck with all that. If you don’t like the fall, you surely won’t like winter. I suggest you take a vacation.”

Izumi had grown old here in her village she loved. She started living here at a young age, and now she was reached her late 50’s here. She was a average height, slightly overweight woman who had her long dark hair that he always kept up in a tight bun. Her eyes were a dark blue color, and her skin was an olive color, but age was just beginning to affect her complexion, but she didn’t mind. She took age with pride, knowing growing older meant growing wiser and getting to live to see more good times that passed by. Things like beauty and money has not bothered her in years, she was over those times. She had a great store and wonderful niece to look over. Today was the day her niece, Hikari, would return after a long trip in the village hidden in the waves. She had been gone for about 3 years, and today was a beautiful day to recognize for Hikari. It was going to be her 16th birthday, and she was well prepared for this. Her niece may have been gone, but Izumi knew what to do. She had prepared a vanilla cake with sweet white vanilla icing decorated with red and pink icing roses. Vanilla cake was Hikari’s favorite cake.

Izumi’s face brightened up as she saw a figure running down the marketplace street. Some of the other storeowners smiled at the figure and waved. One of which, a flower shop, had a sort of family friend, Ino, waved. “Hey, you’re back! We’ve missed you! Happy birthday! I’ll be over in a moment.” The figure nodded and turned it’s head back around. The sunlight finally shone on the figure to obviously show it was Izumi’s niece Hikari. She had let her light brown hair grow down past her shoulders, and she had it back in braid. Izumi remembered that Hikari loved braids after she could do them when her hair grew out. Not much more had changed since she left, however, she still had her slim, medium height with fair skin and her lovely light blue eyes that reminded Izumi so much of her dear sister. Hikari looked so much like her mother as she grew older, and sometimes it made Izumi feel so bad. Her lovely daughter could never get to know her mother because of her death when she was in labor.

Izumi jogged out the store and embraced Hikari. Hikari had many bags and wrapped canvasses with her artwork in her arms, but she let some of them drop to the floor carelessly to hug her aunt back. “Welcome home sweetheart.” Izumi said warmly, kissing Hikari’s forehead. Hikari smiled and hugged her aunt once more. “I missed you Aunt Izumi.” she said in Izumi’s ear with such a sweetness it made her grin ear to ear. It felt so good that Hikari was home. She let go of her and smiled. “Happy birthday, Hikari. Come inside, there’s a surprise for you.”

Hikari smiled as she quickly picked up the objects she dropped and headed inside. Izumi offered to help and did pick up some of the canvasses and light bags. Hikari ran inside the store arms plopped down in a seat inside and sighed happily. “It feels so good to be home.” She looked around and laughed. “Well, the store.” She corrected. Izumi and Hikari ran an art store, where Hikari sold most of her work for money. She would also sometimes teach people, mostly young children some art and crafts. Hikari enjoyed every part of it. What caused her to leave earlier was that there was a traveling art class that was going to travel the lands for the next couple of years to capture different cultures and meet different artists to learn their techniques, and also give advice. Hikari had befriended and astonished many artists she met on her trip with the other students. Some even offered her to live with them and she could become their protégé for any shops or projects they were doing.. But despite the travel, the friends, the adventure, the beautiful sights, and the many people she met on her trip, she only wanted one thing, and that was to be back home with her aunt. What could she say? Hikari was a homesick person. She distinctly remembered when she first moved in Konohagakure from Sunagakure, it took her a very long time to get used to it all, but soon she warmed up with her new home and her aunt.

But something bothered Hikari after all the years that passed. She sort of felt like, she left something behind. Some nights, when she thought about it, there was this feeling inside. It was a feeling that saddened her, because she felt she did something wrong. But another thing that happened was at those nights- she had nightmares. Most would be where Hikari was trapped in a white room. There were these men towering over her, and you could see nothing. It was like shadows have lives of their own and wanted revenge on her. They would beat her, and she would feel all of it, all of their punches, kicks, and even slashes on her skin. She was always paralyzed, and fear filled her mind. Not so long after, there would be this scream. It was a hoarse, crying voice that seemed to be in this state of resentment overlook everyone and everything. After that, she would wake up, beads of sweat on her face and body, breathing hard, and body aching. Hikari never understood why, but just tried to shake off such things. But now wasn’t the time of think of that, it was a time to celebrate.

“Hikari, I want you to close your eyes.” Her aunt said. Hikari smiled and obeyed her. She heard footsteps to a door. “No peeking.” She warned. Hikari heard footsteps to a door she remembered was located. After a couple minutes, Hikari heard slow, careful steps through the store room, and something being put on the table. She felt Izumi’s hand rest on Hikari’s shoulder softly. “Open them now.” Hikari opened her eyes and gasped in delight at the lovely cake and presents laid out at the table. Izumi smiled at her. “Happy sixteenth birthday, Hikari!” Hikari turned and hugged Izumi around the neck happily. “Oh, thank you! Thank you Aunt Izumi!”

Izumi made a hearty laugh and pointed at the table. “Now now, why don’t you see what you got? You’ll have friends with gifts of their own soon as well, I know. Why not start with mine.” She said. Hikari nodded and grabbed the first bag. She unwrapped the tissue paper inside to reveal a big new hardcover black sketch book with s good set of pens, pencils, and some paints as well tied to it with shiny red ribbon. “That was the best this store had, and I knew that would fit my girl so well.” Izumi said, patting Hikari’s back. Hikari’s eyes lightened up at the sight of the sketchbook. “Oh Aunt Izumi! I needed a new book! You know me well!” She hugged Izumi. “Thank you! Thank you!” Izumi smiled warmly. “Hikari, I hope you enjoy these gifts. You’re a grown woman now. I remember when my mother told me that when I turned sixteen. I felt proud, and ready to begin womanhood-” she trailed off, instantly letting go of Hikari with a look of realization on her face. “Oh, wait! There’s one more gift for you. It was given to me years ago.. From your father.”

Hikari’s eyes widened. Her father? “D-Dad’s gift? How long ago was this gift given to you?” Izumi was looking about the store to find where she left the present. “Long time ago, maybe only when you were just three. He told me to give it to you when you were sixteen. Oh! Here it is!” Izumi walked up with a small black box that had dull blue rims around it, along with a strange tear like symbol engraved on the box with that same blue color. Hikari’s hands slightly trembled as she opened the box. Inside it was surrounded with silk that had faded and grown a little dusty from age, but lied in the middle, a necklace. It was beautiful light blue crystal that was also shaped like a tear, and had light golden engravings that looked like swirls on the crystal. It was on a string that looked to be made of velvet. Izumi and Hikari looked at the necklace with awe; for it looked like a masterpiece. Izumi’s eyes welled at the sight of the necklace. She pulled it out of the box delicately.

“This necklace… I remember it so clearly.” Izumi said, coming out as a soft whisper. “This was your mother’s necklace. It was what your father gave her when they first met years and years ago. And it still looks so lovely and intact.” Izumi looked at Hikari up and down, necklace still in her hand. “Oh dear, how you look so much like my dear younger sister. Just about everything, except those eyes. You got them from your father’s side of the family.” Hikari moved her hand up to her face, just below the eye. “I… I do? But Dad’s eyes… from what I can remember, were nothing like my color…” Izumi smiled, but it looked more sad than happy. “There is much about your father’s family you don’t know.” Hikari looked down for a second in thought. But then spoke up. “Aunt Izumi… is Dad still out there? Do you think he is?” She looked at her directly. “He wouldn’t just leave me, would he?” Izumi’s expression softened as she gave Hikari a confronting hug. “I… don’t know sweetheart, I don’t know.” Izumi whispered. And it was true, she didn’t know. All those years ago was such a confusion. She was told that Hikari had been homeless for weeks down at Sunagakure, but it was not said of what was the father. Izumi wished she could know… for Hikari’s sake. She loved her father very much, almost like her sister did years ago.

Izumi lifted up the necklace with a smile on her face. “Hikari, would you like to wear your mother’s necklace?” Hikari made no hesitation of that answer, it was a straight yes. Izumi carefully put the necklace around Hikari’s neck. It fit around her like a choker, and the jewel filled in the bit of skin that was bare, it was almost as if the necklace was destined to be right there. Hikari put her hand on the necklace, smiling with a look of joy and sadness. “It’s my mom’s necklace… How can I thank Dad?” She said really softly, really just asking herself.

Immediately, there was light knock at the window. Hikari and her Aunt turned their heads to the front window. Hikari’s face lit up with joy as she rushed to the door. There outside stood a tall, nicely built older teen boy standing with a bright smile. He had his long dirty blonde hair that was long enough to fall In front of his face, in front of his brown eyes. He was wearing a navy jacket with a spiral symbol on the right sleeve with a long sleeved whit shirt under with jeans. He held a fancy box in one hand and a bouquet of roses in the other. Hikari ran into the man’s arms and he twirled her around. “Rei!! It’s been way too long!” Hikari cried happily. Rei had moved to Konohagakure with his father and sister, Aimi because his father and mother had some problems and ended up divorcing, and Rei’s father decided to move out here. Rei had talked to Hikari saying how he couldn’t really decide who to stay with, but after a long night, chose his father. Rei had also decided to join the Ninja academy.

Rei smiled at Hikari with his brown eyes shining and his smile so bight. “It had been a while, Hikari. Happy Birthday.” He said warmly. Right at that moment, Ino was walking up to see the two. She beamed happily as she waved her arm that a big present bag hung from. Hikari let go of Rei and went to give a friendly hug to Ino. Afterward, Hikari and Izumi invited the two inside and Hikari talked about all the things that happened on her trip and showed them some paintings and sketches of people and places she saw or met. Ino and Rei also talked of what happened while Hikari was gone.

“You completely missed the Chunnin Exams!” Ino exclaimed out. Rei grinned triumphantly. “I passed it completely.” He said. Hikari nodded her head and smiled. “Well, congratulations Rei! I’m proud of you.” She said. “Yeah, but so much more happened than the exams themselves happened.” Ino said. Hikari’s smile faded a little as her eyes averted to the floor.” On… my trip. I heard the Hokage died.” Everyone’s face saddened. “Yes… he did.” Ino said. “He was a wonderful person.” Izumi said, looking at her fumbling fingers. There was a moment of silence, most likely for the sake of the Hokage. Hikari remembered the third Hokage so well… he actually used to be a wonderful customer and observer of her shop. He stopped by one day and was very impressed with the worked. At that day he met Hikari and they talked long through the day. After that, it seemed like he came frequently to talk and see new art. The Hokage sort of became like a grandfather to Hikari.

They talked more on things, Hikari opened gifts and ate cake and talked more. She enjoyed moments with her friends, and considered this one of the best birthdays she ever had. When everyone left, Izumi closed the shop and they headed for their house, which was only about five minutes away. When they entered the house, Izumi led Hikari to her room. “I didn’t move a thing while you left. Have a good sleep, Hikari.” Izumi kissed her cheek and left the room. Hikari stuck her head of the door as her Aunt went down the hall. “Thanks.” she whispered, and poked her head back in her room. She put her stuff down, too tired to put anything and decided to just do it in the morning. It felt so good to be home. Hikari laid in bed, a smile on her face, and finally dozed off to sleep.