Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Asylum ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue.
 
 
 
Summary:
AU, NejiLee, going to NejiGaaSasu, Shonen ai. Screw Faith! Hyuuga Neji, Boy Genius, fakes having a disorder in order to escape his destiny. It works, and he ends up in an institution. But even boy geniuses can't predict every single thing, and so Neji sees himself falling for a local lunie.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto and Characters.
 
Thanks: To my wonderful beta-er, Susan.
 
Warnings: Language. You will see everything from Neji's POV. Neji's thoughts might come over as very...harsh... in the beginning. It's part of my story, because this is how I imagine Neji to think in this situation.
 

 
“Neji, we need to talk.”
 
I looked up from my homework, and nodded in understanding. I put the cap on my pen... and then put the cap off the pen again. Then I put the cap on another time. And off.
 
On, off. On, off. On, off. On, off.
 
On.
 
Seven times. Always seven times.
 
Because a few months ago I had said my lucky number was seven, therefore I always did most of my daily tasks seven times. It was a stupid number, surely, I agree with you, but my uncle always watched me in fascination whenever I only took seven bites of my sandwich before stating I didn't want to eat more, or whenever I checked if the door was locked seven times.
 
God, how I love to play with that fool.
 
“Just a minute.” I breathed, beginning the very boring -but also necessary!- task of arranging my pens in the right order. Always the same order. From left to right first the big black pen, then the small black pen, big blue, small blue, big green, small green, and last, the small red pen. Alphabetical order, big first, and then small. And because I wanted seven pens, I had thrown away the 8th one months ago. Of course it didn't end right there.
 
I performed a perfect piece of acting during the following moments.
 
One moment the 7 pens all laid on my desk, the next moment I picked up each of them with a frustrated growl, and began placing them down again. In exactly the same order.
 
I did this a total of seven times. When I was done, I turned to face my uncle, who was -as always- fascinated by my behavior.
 
“I'm done now, uncle. Now, what did you want to talk about?” I asked as innocent as possible. But months of doing these stupid repetitive things didn't leave my uncle affected. Though he was still fascinated by my behavior, he stopped asking me to stop it about a month ago. That was -of course- due to the fact I didn't stop repeating things whenever he told me to stop.
 
“Neji... this behavior of yours,” He stopped speaking for a moment, probably thinking of a safe way to tell me I was about to be labeled `crazy', “This behavior of yours is getting out of control. It's... it's not normal.”
 
No shit.
 
“Uncle, I just repeat things. It's the only way to be sure things don't get out of hand. I mean, I don't want to think about what could happen if I didn't check things!” Even though I knew my behavior was crazy, I still needed to act like I thought it wasn't.
 
Simply because I really had a good reason for acting this way.
 
“Neji.. I'm sorry to say this, but your behavior... it keeps getting worse and worse. You're always late for school because you feel the need to arrange you school supplies in you bag seven times! You don't even go to school if you don't have exactly seven lessons that day.”
 
“But eight lessons bring bad luck. Do you want to bring bad luck down on me?!” I countered back as if his words had really stabbed me.
 
This was the moment I had been waiting for! For 6 months I had played and pretended. Surely they weren't going to keep crazy me here, were they?
 
“Neji, this behavior is unhealthy. And I'm running out of ideas to help you. You even started taking medication like the doctor prescribed, but I have failed to see an improvement.” He shifted closer to me, probably to try and comfort me, but I wasn't really looking for comfort, especially when it was my uncle who wanted to give it.
 
“Don't do that.” I growled at my uncle, which caused him to back away from me.
 
“Neji...”
 
“You know I don't like you.”
 
When my uncle took another step back, I shot him one last sour look, before looking at my homework in front of me again.
 
From the corner of my eyes I saw my uncle looking like he was completely lost, not knowing what to do about my behavior. But after a full minute, he suddenly started speaking again.
 
“Neji, your medication isn't helping, the school's therapist isn't helping, and I can't help you either. We're all at loss about how we can make you better.”
 
“I'm not ill, uncle, therefore I don't need to get better. And the school's therapist is stupid. She doesn't understand there is nothing wrong with me.” I replied with ease, acting like the smartass I've always been.
 
“Neji...”
 
“She only rambles about how I should not re-do everything, and something about irrational thoughts. WHAT irrational thoughts?! I mean, if I don't check the front door 7 times, it might be unlocked! And if the door is unlocked, then someone could get in and kill the entire family, and it would all be MY fault!”
 
“Neji, she's-“
 
“She's stupid: I'm not crazy! And I'm definitely not ill!” Technically, this wasn't a lie. After all, I wasn't ill to begin with.
 
“N-Neji... the elder and I talked, and we decided that it is for the best...” He stopped, taking a deep breath, obviously formulating the words he had to say in his head once more. I, on the other hand waited with as much patience as I could muster to hear him say the words I had wanted to hear for more than half a year.
 
“We have decided to send you to the nearest Mental Institution in the country. Konoha will know what to do with your OCD.”
 
YES!
 
Outwardly, I backed up into the nearest corner, feigning horror. I could even make myself slip a tear while whispering over and over `No, can't be true. Not that, I'm not crazy'.
 
Inwardly?
 
I was having a party.
 
Please, DO bring out the champagne! Because I, Hyuuga Neji, Boy Genius, have just been labeled `crazy'!
 
After more than half a year of pretending I had Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, the Head Family finally decided to lock me up in a lunie bin rather than letting me face my destiny and protect them for the rest of my life.
 
Tssk. Do you really think that I, Hyuuga Neji, Boy Genius, actually decided to stick to my fate? To actually spend the rest of my life protecting the Head family?
 
Hell No!
 
Fate shouldn't be so dense. From the moment I heard what my fate was all about, I have been plotting. I tried talking to the elder, asking them if I could possibly not protect the Head family for the rest of my life. No luck. Fate was stronger than a simple talk. I tried running away, but fate decided I had to be found a day after I ran away. I tried outsmarting the Head Family, but even though I was ten times smarter and cooler than the shy Hinata and snotty Hanabi no-one ever thought my life mattered more than theirs.
 
Ugh.
 
But now! Now fate couldn't do anything anymore! I had just outsmarted fate! Because really, the Head Family would now think twice before letting me -a total lunie- protect them.
 
Ohh, this calls for a mental toast.
 
Cheers. For me. For the one who outsmarted fate:
 
Neji - 1
 
Fate - 0