Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Bonding ❯ Bonding ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

His head, his shoulders, his arms, his back, his abdomen, his legs—especially his legs—hurt like hell. Well, not hell exactly. Right now he might have even been tempted to sell his thirst for revenge if he could trade this pain for hell's flames. He was too tired to stand... but lying down was not the best option either. Contact with anything burned at him. Mentally he weighed his options and decided just to sink down onto the bed and hope that death came swiftly. Sweat drops managed to painfully tear themselves from his pores and splatter onto the rather strange smelling, sickly-green sheets. `Ugh. When was the last time I cleaned this place?' The thought was so completely out of place he found himself chuckling. Immediately he clutched his side in pain.
 
Footsteps sounded in the corridor outside and a soft tapping on the door announced dinner. Sasuke winced and gave a soft growl. The knocking felt like someone had just taken a shuriken and was repeatedly bashing his brains in. “Leave it there,” he ground out nearly inaudibly. A quiet click followed by a clatter of silverware, and the person walked away. Suddenly Sasuke regretted his choice. `Move,' he silently commanded his body, but it refused to listen. He should have asked the person to bring it inside. But, then again, he would never let anyone see him like this. He made another attempt to get up with the same results, and gave up. He was just going to lie there. If he was lucky someone would find his body before it started to rot.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
“Enter.” Orochimaru glanced up briefly as Kabuto entered with his dinner. “Put it down somewhere. Incidentally Kabuto, you are released from your regular duties for the rest of the evening.”
 
“Training went well?” Kabuto administered Orochimaru's usual dose of medicine and quickly inspected him. This body was starting to age faster. He may need to perform the ritual sooner than expected.
 
Orochimaru chuckled. “Better than I hoped. He is maturing quickly. It won't be long now,” he hissed. “Very soon that beautiful body will be mine.” He leaned forward, as if suddenly remembered something. “Ah, Kabuto, has Sasuke come to the medical center?”
 
“No sir.”
 
“Interesting.”
 
“Should he have?” Orochimaru waved off the young medic's question. Kabuto pretended to be interested in something on the charts for a moment. Finally the sannin continued.
 
“It would seem that in my excitement I got a bit carried away. Sasuke seemed to be in a good deal of pain when we returned. If he does come, take care of him personally.” He took a bite of his food and chewed thoughtfully. “It would be such a shame,” he whispered silkily, “such a shame if anything were to happen to that lovely body.”
 
Orochimaru didn't seem to notice the boy was still there, and Kabuto took it as permission to leave. The snake sannin didn't even look up as the door closed.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Back in the hall, Kabuto lost himself in thought. As it stood, the best word to describe this would be pedophilia. What exactly would you call it once Orochimaru was in Sasuke's body?
 
`Does he want Sasuke as a container or as a sex toy?' For a fleeting moment, Kabuto imagined Orochimaru in Sasuke's body, playing with Sasuke's body, and nearly threw up. He violently shook his head and willed the disturbing idea away. It wasn't until that moment he gave any thought to where he was going.
 
As if inhabited by individual wills, his feet had taken him back along the corridor to the Uchiha's room.
 
Sasuke was probably injured. `But he's been injured before.' And he didn't come to the medical center. That should mean that his injuries weren't all that serious. `So I really don't need to check up on him…right?'
 
The young Uchiha's door loomed in front of him. He hesitated, hand hovering above the doorknob. Sasuke Uchiha was not usually the most congenial of people when disturbed, and he wasn't likely to be grateful for the interruption. That was one of the hardest things about being a shinobi medic: you never could tell when your patients wanted to be helped or preferred to be left alone.
 
He accidentally took a step back and his foot connected with something. The plate tipped over, spilling its contents across the drab gray of the hall. Apparently Sasuke hadn't bothered to get his dinner. The sound Nin sighed, his mind made up. He shoved open the door and stepped in.
 
No fire jutsu or glaring Sharingan greeted him. In fact, the boy didn't even stir. Cautiously, the silver-haired boy approached the bed. “Sasuke-kun?” No answer. `Kami-sama, don't let him wake up!' Kabuto leaned over and carefully rolled the boy onto his back.
 
The first thing he noticed was the reddened skin. `Burns…possibly second degree in some areas. Purple swelling around ankles and shoulder joints…could be dislocated. Don't like the coloring and angle of that wrist: bet it's broken. Minimal blood in the hair— head injury. If it was a direct wound it would be bleeding more profusely.' “He's lucky he's got a thick skull.” Kabuto muttered, hardly realizing he was talking out loud. He gently pried open Sasuke's eyes and inspected them for a moment. He sighed in relief. “No concussion.” A faint sound escaped the boy's mouth, as if he was subconsciously displeased with Kabuto's prying. For a moment Kabuto froze. Only when it seemed like Sasuke wasn't going to wake up did he allow himself to relax.
 
Sasuke would need medical treatment, whether or not he thought he could handle things himself. He was not going to be happy when he woke up. Kabuto pulled back and started for the door. He'd need a few things from the medical center before he could—
 
Finally he noticed the rest of the room. “This…” he prodded an oddly live-looking pile of clothes. “…is just nasty.” Spoiled or not, he was absolutely NOT going to work in a dump like this. “I'll have to move him.” The pile of clothes agreed by collapsing, releasing a cloud of dust and a few scattered insects into the air. `I'm only moving him so I can protect him from Orochimaru-sama!' He justified, cringing and stepping around anything that looked like it had the potential to move (or attack). He slid one arm under Sasuke's shoulders and the other under his knees and carefully picked him up bridal-style. It was a bit awkward since they were about the same height. Kabuto considered slinging him over his shoulder and carrying him that way, but dismissed the idea as quickly as he thought of it. One, it would probably aggravate his injuries. Two, there was already enough reason for Sasuke to try to kill him. And three, he might wake up.
 
Slowly, the dark eyes cracked open.
 
“W-what the …Kabuto?” For a single second everything froze as their eyes locked. Kabuto's breath caught in his throat. Every muscle in his body was tense. In an instant he took note of every possible escape route. Irritation flickered through Sasuke's eyes. Almost immediately they clouded over again and fell closed. His head slumped forward onto the medic's shoulder. `Thank you, thank you, thank you!'
 
There was a temple in the nearby village that was about to get a mysterious and sizeable donation.
 
He shifted the younger boy, letting his forehead rest against his neck, and carried him out of the revolting hellhole he called a room. Silently he made a note to have someone burn all the linen while the Avenger was asleep. Quietly Sasuke moaned again, lips barely parting.
 
`Orochimaru-sama, what the hell did you do to him?'
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
It was the comfortable coolness that woke him. All over his body his screaming skin relaxed beneath the water. `Water?' His eyes shot open, and sure enough, he half-sat, half-laid in a bathtub filled with water and, from the smell of it, healing herbs. Nothing around him looked familiar. He tried to remember exactly what had happened after training. He was almost sure he had gone straight back to his room. But then, how did he get here?
 
He glanced to the side in time to see a silver-haired young man shove a load of blue and white clothes into a furnace. The Uchiha fan cackled in the flames. It took a moment for it to really dawn on him that those were his.
 
“Exactly what are you doing to my clothes?” He demanded. Kabuto looked up.
 
“Oh, you're awake.” Sasuke sank further into the water, a subconscious response to the medic's gaze.
 
“Answer me.” He was amazed at how commanding he was able to make his voice sound, given the present conditions. His tone didn't even phase the other boy.
 
“They were filthy. And I'm almost sure I saw fleas.” Kabuto wrinkled his nose. Filthiness was one of his pet peeves. He slammed the grate to the fireplace. “It wouldn't kill you to clean every once in a while. I understand that revenge is your top priority, but hygiene shouldn't have to suffer. Are you feeling better?”
 
“I'm naked, in a bathtub, in…” he glanced around again, “your room. The last thing I remember is lying down in MY room fully dressed.” He glared, sarcasm dripping from his every word. “Plus I wake up to find you burning all my clothes. No I am NOT alright! What is wrong with you!?” Kabuto ignored him. The medic added more herbs to the water, partly for their properties, but mostly to aggravate his patient. “What,” Sasuke bit out, growing more annoyed with each moment, “did you do to me?”
 
“Nothing too serious.” Kabuto smirked and continued about his room, inspecting labels of different bottles and scribbling things on his clipboard.
 
“Are you gay or something?” The question seemed to grab his attention. He turned so the light from the ceiling reflected off his glasses, hiding his eyes.
 
“Maybe, maybe not. Do you have a problem with homosexuals Sasuke-kun?” Momentarily Sasuke weighed the disadvantages of ticking off Kabuto.
 
“Only the ones that strip me while I'm unconscious.” The medic chuckled. Frankly, Sasuke didn't see what was so funny, but the tension seemed to vanish.
 
“Just so you know, I'm not gay. If anything, I'd be asexual.”
 
Sasuke blinked. “You're joking.”
 
“Nope, did it myself.” He idly flicked a scalpel into the air and caught it. “You had first and second degree burns, thus the burn bath. You dislocated a few joints, quite an impressive number of bruises I might add. You've got a bump on your head, nothing to worry about just don't mess with it. And lucky for you, your wrist isn't broken, just badly sprained.” With a flourish he made a final marking on his clipboard and put it aside. “You're on pain medicine right now but it should wear off in a few hours. I can't risk a stronger one without knowing if you have any allergies, so you'll just have to deal with it.” He rifled through one of his cupboards and found what he was looking for. He handed Sasuke a bottle. “Since you're too squeamish to let me put this on for you, you'll have to do it yourself. Just cover any area that still stings.”
 
“Last time I checked, we had a medical center.”
 
“Much too risky Sasuke-kun.” Sasuke glared at the honorific. “That'd be the first place he'd look for you. You really think Orochimaru-sama would pass up a chance to have his Sasuke-koi completely helpless? And you thought waking up here was bad. Try waking up in his bed.” Kabuto waited for a few seconds, but no response was coming. “Well?”
 
“Well what?”
 
“Aren't you going to thank me for saving your virginity?” He thought for a moment. “At least, I'm pretty sure you're still a virgin. My records aren't always completely accurate on that account.”
 
“Go to hell, pervert.” Sasuke tried to ignore him and set about applying the ointment to the more painful of the injuries. Kabuto wasn't making it easy. He had taken to impatiently drumming on his desk with a pen. The longer Sasuke took, the louder Kabuto tapped. “Stop that. And stop staring at me.”
 
“Sorry.” He didn't sound sorry at all. “You remind me of my little brother. He was killed in the war.” He said it flippantly, like he was simply discussing the weather. Yet, unseen by Sasuke, the pen slid from the medic's fingers and rolled under the desk.
 
If there was even an ounce of chakra left in his body, Sasuke would have activated the Sharingan. As it was, he had to settle for yet another tired glare. “I am not your brother.”
 
Kabuto shrugged. “Whatever. Hurry up with that.” He gestured to a white hakama. “When you're done, get out and get dressed.”
 
“I. Am. Not. Wearing. Your. Clothes.”
 
“Suit yourself.” He made as if to leave the room. “I did burn your clothes, you know. If you really want to run around naked, it's not my problem.”
 
“Get me a change of clothes from my room,” the Uchiha ordered.
 
“Sorry Sasuke-dono, but those were burnt too. Even your clean clothes smelled.” Kabuto snickered.
 
“WHAT!” Only the pain medicine's sedating effect kept him from leaping at the medic's throat, naked or not. “You BURNT—“
 
“Yes. Are you finished now?” Water splashed over the sides of the wooden tub as the black-haired boy childishly crossed his arms. “Well?”
 
“Go outside.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because.” Kabuto was getting tired of the glares. “I'm not getting out if you're in here.”
 
Kabuto sighed. “Brat. I'm a medic nin. You don't have anything I haven't seen before. In fact, I'll tell you, I've seen much better looking than yours.”
 
“GET OUT!”
 
“Brat…” He slammed the door for good measure. He was more than slightly ticked off at getting tossed out of his own room. Usually he would have been a bit more wary of the Sharingan user, but he would be damned if he let some bratty kid boss him around. Although, he was probably going to have to watch his back once Sasuke could fight again.
 
Soon enough the doorknob turned, and an unsteady Sasuke tottered out, actually wearing the hakama. A single eyebrow arched upward as Kabuto noted that the boy had also gone rifling through his drawer and stole a shirt. “And where are you going?”
 
“My room.” Sasuke deadpanned.
 
“ `fraid that's not possible. It's being fumigated.”
 
“…I will kill you once I can see straight.”
 
“The Aburame clan would be terrified of that room Sasuke-dono. You'll just have to stay here. Or if you want to stay with Orochimaru-sama, it's fine with me. I don't think he'd mind either.”
 
“You are a PERVERT…”
 
Kabuto signed deeply. “I told you, any interest I have in you would be purely fraternal.”
 
Sasuke snarled. “I am NOT your brother!” He winced as the noise slammed into his aching head.
 
“I wouldn't do that too often. You'll give yourself a migraine.” The Great Avenger found himself dragged back into the room like a stubborn child. His attempts to pull away were laughable, his strength completely sapped from training. He was even starting to find it difficult to stand. “If it makes you feel any better I'll sleep on the floor. I'd put you there but—“ He pulled a pillow and sheet out of the closet. “—you'd probably make your injuries worse. Besides, I'm nicer than that. Try to get some rest.”
 
“Oi Kabuto, why is your room so…” Sasuke shifted away from the bed, eyeing it warily. “…feminine?”
 
Kabuto scowled and turned his back. “It is not feminine. If it had pink or rainbows or a princess bed or pictures of horses then I'd say it was feminine. This,” he viciously shoved the pillow against the wall and plopped down, “is merely clean and furnished. It's called comfort, Sasuke-dono. I don't hoard every cent I get, unlike you.”
 
“Pervert.”
 
“What does that have to do with anything?
 
“You just are.”
 
“Brat.”
 
With more than a little trepidation, Sasuke sank into the bed and pulled the covers over himself. Finally he had to admit it. The bed was …nice. He snuggled down - `NO! NOT Snuggle! Relaxed!'—and inadvertently sighed. Maybe his room could use a little airing out. And a new mattress. The warmth from the blanket seeped into him, easing tension out of his muscles. Yes, he could definitely get used to this. Maybe he should use some of his money.
 
A chill like ice-cold fingers running up his back made him shudder. He rolled onto his side and clenched his eyes shut, but the feeling didn't go away. He fidgeted uncomfortably. Slowly he opened one eye and found Kabuto staring at him from his makeshift bed across the room. The medic didn't seem to notice that Sasuke was well aware of his scrutiny.
 
“What?”
 
Kabuto blinked, startled. “Hmm?”
 
“You're staring.”
 
“Oh.”
 
Sasuke was not used to having his questions ignored. “WHY are you staring?”
 
“Just thinking.” Kabuto ignored the younger boy's low snarl. There was a few seconds of silence before he spoke again. Even then, it was so quiet the Uchiha almost missed it. “Why do you remind me so much of Denai? You don't look anything alike.”
 
“I'm not your brother!”
 
“Sure. Go to sleep brat.” But for a while longer he watched. Sasuke huffed and rolled over, ignoring the eyes on him.
 
“Damn pervert…”
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx
 
Orochimaru looked up as the boy strode into the room. “Sasuke,” he hissed. “Where have you been hiding?” Sasuke inadvertently glanced over at Kabuto whose face was buried behind large scroll. He had always thought the medic told the sannin everything. He recovered quickly, but Orochimaru noticed.
 
“Another room.” The half-lie flowed with almost practiced ease. “Apparently my room was fumigated while I was unconscious.” Sasuke glared at Kabuto who was still busying himself with medical records. “Without my permission.”
 
“Of course. Kabuto tends to be a bit…” Orochimaru smiled chillingly. “…spoiled. It's my fault really. I have let him get away with a lot.” If Kabuto noticed anything in the man's voice, he ignored it.
 
Sasuke looked back and forth between the two, aware that he missed something. He decided, wisely, not to ask. “I need to go to a village. Apparently all my clothes were burnt.”
 
Orochimaru gave his consent and the Uchiha left.
 
“Where did you hide him?”
 
When Kabuto looked up there was an expression of innocence plastered across his face. “Orochimaru-sama, I was simply following your orders. You told me to personally see to his well-being, right?”
 
“If that is the game you want to play…” His voice trailed off. He leaned his head against one arm and idly brushed dark, straight locks of hair from his face. “You fumigated his room?”
 
Distaste showed in the boy's face. “There was something living it…several somethings in fact.” He shuddered. “It was the single most unhygienic area on the base, dungeon included.”
 
“And his clothes?”
 
“One particular shirt appeared quite capable of attacking me.”
 
“So,” the sannin murmured, “you're telling me that was your only motivation.”
 
“Yes sir. Should there have been something else?”
 
“Clever, Kabuto. Very clever. But,” he uncurled himself from his seat, “I suppose it's to be expected. All his life Sasuke-kun has sought proximity. First Itachi, then that Kyubi brat, and now I suppose you. However.” He paused in the door. His voice lowered to what Kabuto instantly recognized as a dangerous pitch. “There wouldn't be a chance that you are trying to interfere, would there?”
 
“Orochimaru.” The man noticed the informality and his eyes narrowed. “What is it you want? What more do I have to do to prove my loyalty to you?” Kabuto stared steadily down at the floor.
 
“It is not your loyalty to me I question. It is how powerful your loyalty to me is, when compared to this new-found loyalty to Sasuke.” The medic's fingers twitched as he consciously kept himself from clenching them. “I see.” Orochimaru tilted the boy's face to look at him. Kabuto was not fast enough to hide the anger in his eyes. “What's this Kabuto? Have I offended you?”
 
“Not once. Not even once have I ever…” he turned away. “There is nothing for you to be concerned about Orochimaru-sama. Sasuke simply reminded me of Denai.”
 
“Of course. How paranoid of me.” And he left Kabuto to his thoughts.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
“Don't you think you've caused enough damage?”
 
Kabuto was getting used to Sasuke's surliness. He shoved him out of the doorway and stepped in. He looked around appraisingly. “It's better than it was.” He toed the fraying carpet that Sasuke had managed to commandeer from someplace. “Although its still not quite—“
 
“Get out.”
 
“And the blankets are mismatched,” Kabuto groaned in fake horror. “It looks like you patched this room together from pieces you stole from other people's bedrooms. Oh Kami-sama, you heathen! Don't you know that curtains are supposed to face the other way?”
 
“No. I did not.” Sasuke calmly activated his Sharingan. Kabuto immediately thought better of annoying him further. “Is there are reason to this little visit?”
 
“I want my clothes back.”
 
Sasuke smirked. “I burnt them.”
 
“You—“
 
“Burnt them. I figured you wouldn't mind since you have this thing about burning clothes.”
 
Silently Kabuto made a note to personally give Sasuke whatever injection he would need next.
 
“Here.” He tossed him a small bag of pills. “Take one a night. And by one I do not mean one whenever you feel like it. I mean one every night until they're done.” At the door he looked over the room again. “You could have done better—” He darted out to avoid the flung kunai.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
For the first time in two days, Kabuto had his room to himself. He was sorely tempted to go on a cleaning frenzy and sterilize every inch of his room. But they started experimenting with a new breed of drug in the morning, and cleaning would take all night. He needed sleep, so he would have to make do with his bed smelling strange, smelling like Sasuke. It wasn't that it was an unpleasant smell…but it was different. And quite frankly, Kabuto despised having anything in his room any different from the usual. He rolled over, then rolled over again. Damn. The slightest change made everything so uncomfortable. So he was spoiled, so what? He rolled over another time, only to be smothered with the scent of Sasuke and the shampoo he used to get the blood out of his hair.
 
He sat up with a sigh. He wasn't going to get much sleep tonight; might as well get some work done. He flipped on the light next to his desk and rolled out two scrolls. He was just about to make a note on one when he heard a muffled cry. His brow furrowed in confusion. `What the…” There it was again. Sasuke.
 
His room was at the end of the hall, and noise carried well in these tunnels. Kabuto tried to ignore it. He worked silently for a few moments, then he heard the cry again. His hand slipped and the pen drew a crooked line through the previous character. Kabuto stared down at his hand as if inspecting something absolutely foreign. An unsteady hand was the very worst thing that a surgeon could have. Damn that Sasuke. He had no choice. He had to do something.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Slowly the nightmare faded, and Sasuke was finally able to tear himself out of the terror of his dreams. His breathing slowed to normal and his senses made him aware of his surroundings. When he tried to push himself up he found he couldn't; he was wrapped in strong arms. He struggled to remember where he was. 'Itachi…Itachi always comforted me when I had nightmares…no. Itachi killed everyone. I hate him. Then who the hell is this?'
 
He snarled. “Kabuto, if that's you I swear I'll kill you.”
 
“You're the one who woke me up with all the noise you were making. And you would neither shut up nor wake up. At least this way you were quiet.”
 
Sasuke shoved him away. “Don't touch me, pervert.”
 
“Too late brat.” Kabuto tapped a new bandage on the Uchiha's forehead. Sasuke winced. “You clawed yourself in your sleep. I guess it's a reaction to the medicine I gave you. You alright?”
 
“Fine.” Sasuke muttered and plopped back down. “Get out of my room.” He listened for a second or two, but heard no retreating footsteps. “I said get out.” He reached for the kunai hidden under his pillow. His fingers curled around the cold metal. Suddenly he felt a sharp poke to the ribs. “What. Do. You. Want?” Sasuke snapped. He was rewarded with another poke
 
“Move over.”
 
WHAT?”
 
“Come on brat, move over.” Kabuto jabbed him again. “I'd like to get some sleep and I can't if you're in here making all that noise.” He poked him harder, and Sasuke pulled away. “I used to do this all the time when my brother was scared.”
 
“One: I'm NOT scared. And two: I'm Not Your Brother.”
 
“Yes, yes, I know.” Kabuto squeezed in next to him and forced him to roll over. “See? It wasn't that hard.” He reached over and yanked half the sheet off the younger boy and pulled it over himself. “Now sleep. And do it quietly.”
 
“I'm going to kill you.” Sasuke smothered a yawn. “But I'll do it in the morning.”
 
“Less talk, more sleep brat.”
 
“Stop treating me like your little brother!”
 
“SLEEP BRAT!” Sasuke grumbled, much too weary to kill the medic now. He'd wait until morning. He gripped his kunai under his pillow and smirked sadistically. Yesss…morning…
 
“Damn pervert…” Sasuke drifted off to sedative-induced sleep, imagining all the ways he could kill the aggravating medic. His head slipped forward.
 
Kabuto heard when the younger boy's breathing became even and felt his head rest against his back. This time, no nightmares tormented him. `Good thing I have a stash of memory adjusting herbs. I'm gonna need them. Soon the medic also began to drift to sleep. The last thing he remembered was glancing over his shoulder at the sleeping boy.
 
“Brat…”