Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Captive Heart ❯ Fragments of My Memories ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Ho hum, decided to update. Sorry if the chapters are coming slow, it's because I'm finding a hard time writing the beginning, but as fellow fanfiction authors, you know how it is, right?
 
Enjoy chapter 4.
 
XI.
 
Captive Heart
 
By: Melissa Norvell
 
Chapter 4: Fragments of My Memories
 
XI.
 
 
The door opened, bathing the jounin in a brilliant white light. He had been sitting in the middle of the floor, awaiting Itachi's return and he could see his silhouette in the doorway as the Uchiha walked inside, his sandals making that familiar clank on the wooden floor.
 
He watched as the figure grew larger and larger as it silently entered the room, being its dark presence with it.
 
“Hello, Itachi.” Kakashi greeted, but got no response as he laid his rice hat upon the surface of the table and took a seat in a nearby wooden chair.
 
Onyx eyes stared at the jounin for a few moments before he finally said something. “What have you learned?”
 
“I've been training hard, and I noticed that I could bring back most of my jutsus. I haven't tried working with the Sharingan, but I need to re-learn my other techniques and perfect them first.” Kakashi stated. “It's a slow process but I'm not one to disappoint.”
 
“Can you remember anything?” Itachi asked, making sure that the jounin's memory remained limited.
 
“No, only flashes of the jutsu.” He replied, looking down.
 
A silence hung in the room as the two remained in position, like statues frozen in time. Itachi had never been one to talk, and the silver haired man seated on the floor could think of nothing to say on the matter.
 
Then a thought ran through Kakashi's mind for a few moments. Looking to the boy in the chair, he decided to ask a question.
 
“Itachi?”
 
Onyx eyes looked to him in recognition.
 
The jounin placed a hand below his Sharingan, his fingertips touching the scar below it lightly. “Where did the Sharingan come from?”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“My Sharingan…Where did it come from?”
 
“Why is such a question important?” The Uchiha asked in monotone.
 
“I was just wondering. It's been bothering me for a few days.” The jounin replied.
 
Itachi began to explain to him where the Sharingan had come from and the events that happened between he and Obito. This new information filled Kakashi with many emotions, some seeming to resurface from the depths of his mind which had once forgotten them.
 
The fragments of his memories were returning.
 
Up until now, Kakashi had felt nothing but hollow and confused inside, and with this new information he felt much more. It allowed him to feel the sorrow and damnation which was placed upon him in the past, and the guilt he felt for causing Obito to die.
 
During the explanation, sadness crossed his mismatched eyes as his mind processed the information. After Itachi was finished explaining the events, Kakashi sat in silence, mulling the thoughts around for a while and trying to figure out what to make of them.
 
This subject kept him quiet for a while, which satisfied Itachi. As long as he didn't question anything that would be damaging to the plan, the Uchiha could tell him anything he wanted. He had to regulate the information that was given to the jounin.
 
 
XI.
 
 
The next day, Itachi had left Kakashi alone again and round two of his training commenced. He decided to go outside and train that day, considering the fact that he didn't want to destroy the inside of the small building.
 
He walked over to the door, his own feet making a clicking noise upon the wooden floor as he neared the door. When he walked up to the wooden object, he extended his hand and twisted the handle, pulling back the door.
 
The light radiating from the other side caused sharp pains to shoot through his eyes before he closed them off from the harsh sunlight. He had forgotten just how bright things were on the outside. He had been inside so long that his eyes became sensitive to the light and had to readjust. After adjusting to the light, he could see all that was around him: trees, grass and nature all around. He inhaled the crisp air and felt the warm summer winds flow to him, brushing gently against his skin and playing with his hair, causing the silver spikes to dance around in the air.
 
He pulled his hitai-ate over the Sharingan, there was no use for it today. The jounin looked up to the sky, where he could see the occasional white, puffy cloud slowly drift by and see the occasional bird that flew across the sky.
 
`Alright.' He thought. `Time for some training. I've got to get these techniques down within the week. There's no time to waste.'
 
Kakashi began to train outside, starting off with simple exercises that he created for himself. Things were progressing slowly from where they had been. He still found himself low on chakra and unable to get the tree-walking exercise he planned for himself down quite right.
 
Day after day, he attempted simple jutsus and was able to master most of them within one or two days. He had finally accomplished the tree-walking exercise within three days of training and before long he had mastered all of his Taijutsu techniques within the week and had them perfected.
 
His wounds healed quickly and he was able to do more agile moves that required a lot of bending and flexibility.
 
Every day, he told Itachi of his progress and asked a little more in depth about the origins and functions of the Sharingan and how to be precise about using it. Itachi had told him everything that he though the jounin should know about the eye and its abilities.
 
Taking in the information, Kakashi prepared himself for the Genjutsu portion of his re-educating process. Genjutsu came easily to someone who possessed such genius as Hatake Kakashi. He was able to master his Genjutsu moves in three days.
 
Then it was time for Ninjutsu, which took him longer because there was use of chakra involved. Kakashi had tried to master everything he could think of: Summoning, Chidori..And other techniques of that nature, as well as master them and learn to control them with the finesse that he had so long ago.
 
Every day for two weeks, Kakashi would drain himself of chakra trying to perfect his moves. These ninjutsu proved the hardest training of all that he's had so far. There were so many tricks to getting certain moves just right, and when he had thought he had something down, working from the vague memory he had of the jutsu was tiring, and he often found that he had left something out.
 
After weeks of training, Kakashi had finally mastered Ninjutsu.
 
 
XI.
 
 
“Something isn't right.” Sakura told Naruto and Sasuke, who were sitting in the Hokage's office. The two boys turned their heads to face their team mate. “It's been a month and Kakashi-sensei still isn't back.”
 
“I'm tired of waiting around! We should go and find him!” Naruto jumped up, pointing dramatically.
 
“But what if he doesn't want us to go.” Sakura replied, “I mean, I know he's been gone a long time, but what if us going meant putting him in danger?”
 
“Naruto's right.” Iruka spoke up from his position across the room. “Kakashi has been gone a long time. “
 
“It isn't like him not to report back from a mission.” Sasuke stated, looking to the door. “And we haven't had a mission in weeks.”
 
Overhearing everything, the Hokage slowly walked into the room, seating himself down in his chair. “I agree with Naruto.”
 
Iruka turned his attention to the old man.
 
“You do?” The blonde blinked.
 
“Since all of you are together, I'm going to send all four of you on a mission to recover Kakashi. Find out what happened to him, and if any signs show up, report back to me A.S.A.P. Got it?” The old man instructed.
 
“Got it.” Naruto nodded.
 
“What?” Iruka blinked at the offer of being put on the spot for such a mission.
 
“I'm sure that all of you should be able to handle it.” The Hokage retorted. “And don't worry, Iruka. I can catch up on grading papers here without you.”
 
The Chuunin looked defeated, knowing that arguing with the Hokage wasn't a wise idea. “Yes, Hokage-sama.” He replied, even though his thoughts berated him.
 
He didn't like the feeling that he had about the mission at all.
 
 
XI.
 
 
Outside, the four shinobi stood, contemplating on where to start off.
 
“I never thought I'd be looking for my teacher.” Sakura said. “I mean, I know Kakashi-sensei is late, but he's never this late.”
 
“Yeah,” The blonde agreed, sitting on the wooden swing in front of the academy, lazily swinging back and fourth. “He always gets lost on the path to life or something like that.”
 
“We need a plan of action.” Iruka stated. “Anyone have any ideas?”
 
“No.” The pink haired girl shook her head. “We don't even know where he went.”
 
“I could go back and get that information from the Hokage.” Iruka offered. “While I'm gathering information, you three think of a plan if Kakashi-sensei doesn't want to come back.”
 
“Huh?” Naruto looked up lazily from the swing as his former sensei took off towards the Hokage's. “What does he mean “doesn't want to come back”. Why wouldn't he want to come back?”
 
“I don't know, but whatever's going on can't be good if Iruka-sensei is talking like that.” Green orbs watched Iruka leave.
 
“I don't have a good feeling about this myself.” Sasuke added. “There's something wrong with this whole picture.”
 
“You guys really think that Kakashi-sensei left and didn't want to come back?” Naruto asked.
 
“Maybe he got captured or hurt or…” Sakura's face turned serious at the last unspoken thought.
 
“Ah, come on Sakura! Kakashi-sensei's not dead. He's way too strong for that, believe it!” Naruto replied.
 
“What if he decided to become a Missing Ninja?” Sasuke asked.
 
Shortly after he spoke, the other members of his team were dead silent at the thought, each with a worried look on their faces.
 
“If that's so…” Sakura spoke. “Then we're going to have to actually fight him in battle.”
 
 
TBC
 
 
A/N: Yay! I'm writing on this again! That and I have an awesome storyline for it going on! Yes, I brought Iruka back; he gets so little airtime I decided to throw him into the mix. Eventually Gai will come into the picture as well. Now that I've written on this story, I'm going on to chapter five!
 
Please R&R!!