Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Clipped Wings ❯ Affinity: Chakra Control is Essential ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto. If I did. Team 4 would be in there in one way or another.
 
Chapter 3: Affinity: Chakra Control is Essential
 
Kasumi awoke early. She rubbed her eyes carefully and looked around her room. Her room was covered in light blue wallpaper. She had a dresser by her window across from her bed. He put her foot on the rug beside her bed and walked to the bathroom down the hall.
 
`Let's see. First, I need to get my picture taken, then head over to the training grounds.' She took care of her hygiene and wrapped her hair. She walked over to her closet and pulled out her blue kimono and pants and her ninja gear.
 
“Good morning, Kasumi,” her mother said as Kasumi walked into the kitchen. She looked up at her mother. She had mid-length brown hair and blue eyes. She was wearing a dress with an apron tied around her waist.
 
“Good morning.” Kasumi looked in the food cabinet and pulled out a bagel and headed toward the door.
 
“Going to go get your picture taken?”
 
“Yep. Where's dad?”
 
“He's asleep. After we congratulated you, he immediately ran straight for the bed and hasn't awoken since.”
 
“Sounds like something he would do.” She opened the door. “Bye.”
 
“Bye.”
 
Kasumi ran through the streets. It was quiet this early in the morning. She looked around to notice stores where now starting to open. She looked up to see the large tower that was her destination. `Hokage Tower. I don't think I have ever when to this place before.'
 
Sumiko was already at the training ground when Kasumi arrived. “Hi,” Sumiko said turning to see her. She waved her hand and walked over to her.
 
“Where is Roku and Taisuke-sensei?”
 
“They went to go get something and said they would be back in a minute.” Kasumi nodded understandingly. She walked over and sat at the trunk of a tree. She stretched out and stared at her ninja license. She looked up to see Sumiko sit down beside her.
 
“You did anything interesting last night?” Kasumi asked.
 
“Train.”
 
“Train, train, train. That's all I ever hear you do. Do you even have a social life? Is all you do is train like a robot?” Sumiko didn't answer. “Or do you use the Transformation Technique to turn yourself into a boy while we are not looking?” Kasumi continued.
 
“Now girls, play nice,” Taisuke said as he and Hiroku appeared on the branch above them.
 
“All you to do is argue,” Hiroku said. “It gets rather annoying.”
 
“Anyway, all three of you sit down,” Taisuke said appearing in front of Sumiko and Kasumi. Hiroku jumped of the branch and joined his team.
 
“Before we start, I want you guys to know that I am a ninjutsu expert. You guys will probably learn a lot of ninjutsu from me. Before we start that, let's review your chakra shall we. I am going to skip the chakra control part as we will get to that later. For now it's time we went over affinities. There are five types of chakra: earth, fire, lightning, water, and wind. Each type of chakra is stronger than another and is weak against another. Fire is strong against wind. Wind is strong against lightning. Lightning is strong against earth. Earth is strong against water, and water is strong against fire. As you know, every ninja has a natural affinity and its time to find out what affinity each of you has. So tell me when is you're birthday?”
 
“June 15,” Kasumi said.
 
“February 3,” Sumiko said.
 
“March 29,” Hiroku said.
 
“I see,” Taisuke said.
 
“So, what does that have to do with our affinities?” Kasumi asked.
 
“Nothing. I just wanted to see who was oldest,” Taisuke replied. The groups hopes were shot down quickly.
 
“I should have guessed that,” they all said quietly.
 
“Alright. I'm being serious this time.” Taisuke reached into his pocket and pulled out several sheets of paper. “Each of you take one,” Taisuke said passing each of them one sheet.
 
 
“How is this showing us our affinity?” Sumiko asked.
 
“This is unique paper,” Taisuke responded. His students looked at him questioningly. “This paper is made from a tree that feeds off a person's chakra. To see your affinity all you have to do is apply chakra to your hand. Give it a try.”
 
They each held the paper in front of them and began to apply chakra to their hand. They watched carefully as the paper surrounded itself in their chakra.
 
“What was the end result?” Taisuke asked.
 
“Mine's burst into flames,” Sumiko said waving her hand in the air.
 
“Mine is wet and soggy, weird,” Kasumi said staring wide-eyed at the paper.
 
“My paper split in two,” Hiroku said.
 
“I see. Sumiko, your affinity is fire. Kasumi, your's is water. Hiroku, your's is wind,” Taisuke revealed.
 
“How can you tell?” Hiroku asked.
 
“You see the paper can have five different results. If the paper splits, you're type of chakra is wind, if it bursts into flames, yours is fire, if it gets soggy, its of water, if the paper crumples, you are lightning, and it turns to dust if you are of earth.
 
“So what's yours,” Sumiko said. Taisuke took another sheet of paper and did the same exercise he instructed his students to do.
 
“Lightning,” he said as the paper crumbled.
 
“Now that that's out of the way, we can move on to jutsu. The first jutsu you are going to learn under me will be what I call the breath jutsu's: Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu, Water Style: Gunshot Jutsu, and Wind Style: Drilling Air Bullet. But before all of that, we need to up your chakra control. For that we are going to perform to exercises. The first,” Taisuke said putting a tiger hand sign. “Is walking up trees without hands, like so.” Taisuke ran at the nearest tree and climbed it with ease. The students stood up and stared amazed. “Listen. Focus chakra to the soles of your feet and rush up the tree. Take out a kunai or whatever weapon you want to use. Whenever you feel like you are going to fall swipe the tree and get down. Continue going until you reach the top.
 
“Right.”
 
“Good,” he said as his students began taking out kunai. “Begin.”
 
They charged for the trees in front of them.
 
Sumiko hit the tree first. She began to climb reaching the middle of the tree before she felt herself falling backwards. She caught herself on the tree and pushed her way backwards. Hiroku followed her lead beside her and climbed the tree. He made it farther than Sumiko before the tree broke under him. `Too much.' He regained himself on the tree and continued onwards until he felt himself slipping. `Too little,' he thought as he gashed the tree and jumped down. Kasumi ran about a fourth of the way before the tree broke from under her.
 
After all three of them hit the ground, they stared at each other. They nodded as they turned toward the tree. Sumiko surpassed the spot she went by before. `I'm going to do it!' As she thought, the tree broke under her. Surprised, she gashed the tree and bounced down. Kasumi watched as Sumiko fell from the tree. It detracted her so much she ran off the tree. `Stay focused,' Kasumi said as she bounced between two trees. They stared at each other for a while waiting for Hiroku to come down.
 
“How long are you two going to be staring at each other?” Hiroku asked from the top of the tree.
 
“What!?” they both yelled surprised.
 
“How'd you get up there?” Kasumi yelled.
 
“How else? I climbed,” Hiroku said.
 
“Kasumi, let's go,” Sumiko said, annoyed she didn't make it first. Kasumi nodded.
 
Hiroku stared up into the clouds. He had been up in this tree for a couple of hours now. He turned his attention back to the medical book he was reading. “Wow, the arm can be broken in so many ways,” Hiroku stated slightly engrossed in his reading. He looked over at his sensei. He had a bored expression on his face. Hiroku followed his eyes to see Kasumi still on the ground. Sumiko had made it up about five minutes ago. She was still panting on the tree branch. Kasumi was panting as hard as Sumiko was.
 
“I can feel the blisters on my feet,” Kasumi noticed. “Still, I think I got it.” She formed the chakra to her feet and began to climb. She closed her eyes briefly trying to get over the pain. She opened them only to realize she had reached her destination. Kasumi reached for the branch sat down panting heavily.
 
“Well I see you all finally made it. About time you to got up here. I was beginning to worry we wouldn't get to the second part today. Anyway Kasumi, Sumiko, here is your lunch. Roku and I already ate,” Taisuke said as he opened a scroll revealing their lunch for the day. “Think of it as a promotion present.”
 
The hungry girls attacked the food. “It's so good,” Kasumi said blushing.
 
“Anything's good after that exercise,” Sumiko said quickly putting the food in her mouth.
 
“Glad to here it. But, did you think to check if the food was poisoned?” Taisuke said.
 
Sumiko and Kasumi immediately spat out the food.
 
“I was kidding. Take some time to recuperate and we will begin the next part.”
 
They nodded as they continued to stuff their faces in the food. Hiroku joined them silently and sat down beside them. He pulled out the book he was ready earlier.
 
“What are you reading?” Kasumi asked as she stuffed more rice down her throat.
 
“A medical anatomy book,” Hiroku said showing her the cover. She nodded in approval and turned back to her food.
 
“You really are trying to be a great medic-nin,” Sumiko said.
 
“Yep.”
 
Sumiko ate the last of her food and set the box down. She stretched out and laid down on the ground. Kasumi was searching through her box, trying to find any sign of food left. When she found none she threw the box to her side and stood up.
 
“Are you three ready for the second part?” Taisuke said after a heavy yawn.
 
“Yes.”
 
Taisuke turned and looked up at the sky. `It's getting dark.' He quickly jumped off the branch and walked over to the nearby lake. “Now, it's time to learn how to walk on water.”
 
“Seriously,” Kasumi yelled.
 
“Seriously,” Taisuke said calmly. “Watch carefully.” He focused chakra to his feet and began to walk on the water. “Kasumi, you should have an easy time with this since your affinity is water.”
 
“Really,” Kasumi yelled. She stared at Sumiko and grinned. Sumiko stared angrily at her and turned her head. Kasumi turned and focused chakra to her feet. She began to charge for the water. She stayed afloat for a couple of seconds and fell in. Sumiko immediately started laughing. Taisuke simply sighed.
 
“Alright, laughing girl, your turn,” Taisuke said.
 
“Right,” Sumiko said wiping the grin off her face.
 
She stepped onto the water and almost immediately fell in. Sumiko looked around angrily underwater before she finally came up. The first person she saw was Kasumi. She was grinning at her warmly. Sumiko ignored the grin and got out of the cold water.
 
“Roku, you're up,” Taisuke said finally. He nodded and walked onto the water. He stood on for a few seconds then began to tilt on the water. He eventually lost his balance and fell in. Taisuke stared at the water then turned to the soaking wet girls. He watched as Hiroku appeared out of the water and joined the other two. “I guess I should tell you that standing on water is different than standing on a tree. A tree is solid, but water is always moving. You must learn to adjust your chakra to always match the water. Roku as good as your chakra control is, you can't do it yet. Kasumi, Sumiko, your chakra control is horrid compared to Roku's. You two have a lot of work to do. Anyway, try again.”
 
Hiroku took his jacket off and began to take off his shirt.
 
“What are you doing?” Kasumi yelled disturbed.
 
“Well, it's obvious it's going to take us a while to get this. Instead of getting most of my clothes wet, I'm only going to get my boxers wet and escape this without a cold. Feel free to stay in your soaking wet clothes,” Hiroku said setting his clothes, forehead protector, and arm bandages to the side away from the water. He then approached the water again. He stood for a few seconds then slowly began sinking until he fell completely in.
 
“He's right,” Sumiko said finally following suit until she was down to her underwear. Kasumi noticed that she wrapped her breasts tightly with bandages.
 
`I guess that's to keep them out of the way, that or just to look more like a boy,' Kasumi concluded.
 
“I don't think Hiroku would say that to try to sneak a peak at our bodies,” Sumiko said interrupting Kasumi's thoughts as she took of her forehead protector.
 
“Fine.” She set her clothes beside Sumiko's and charged into the water. Kasumi immediately fell in.
 
“Wow,” Taisuke said. He watched as Sumiko fell in soon after. “Well, at least they can agree as a team.” He put his hand over his face and watched a giant splash appear in the air as all three genin fell into the water at the same time. “Their chakra is waning though.”
 
“You know you three really suck at this,” Taisuke said loudly.
 
“Shut up!” they screamed.
 
He looked up at the sky and noticed the sun was slowly setting. “You guys have 25 minutes.”
 
They immediately gathered the chakra and headed for the water. Taisuke stared surprised as his students stood on top of the water for some time.
 
“Well..” Taisuke started before his students fell once again. “You almost had it.”
 
“Okay,” Sumiko said.
 
“We got it this time,” Kasumi said as all three of them fished each other out of the lake.
 
“Ready,” Hiroku asked. They nodded. “Okay.” They charged for the water again. They stayed afloat for a while waiting for them to lose control again and slip into the water. “I don't think we are going to sink,” Hiroku said finally.
 
“Maybe,” Sumiko said. She folded her arms together and jumped up and down only to land on the surface of the water.
 
“I think we got it,” Kasumi said happily. She jumped up and down and jumped on Sumiko and Hiroku's shoulders.
 
“Get off,” Sumiko said moving to her left. Kasumi landed on her feet and put her hands behind her head.
 
“Sorry,” she apologized. “I'm just expressing my happiness with you guys. No need to be so serious all the time.”
 
“I'm a serious person,” Sumiko said angrily.
 
“No you're not. I can see it in your eyes,” Kasumi said approaching Sumiko holding her eyes open. She then stepped back and started grinning while messing with her hair.
 
“You both are entertaining to be around,” Hiroku said. “I like spending time with you two.”
 
“Hiroku, that was random. Do you have a cold?” Sumiko said.
 
“I agree,” Kasumi said standing by Sumiko still kneading her hair.
 
“No, that's the truth,” Hiroku said. He turned to Taisuke. “So what now?”
 
“Now, we test how well you guys can balance,” Taisuke said simply.
 
“Balance?” they all said.
 
“Another sparing match. This time on water,” Taisuke said simply. The students stared at him crazily. They got into their battle stances and readied themselves for battle. “The battle will be in two days. That should be enough time to recuperate, right?” Taisuke said walking over to his students.
 
“Yes,” Kasumi said.
 
“Besides, beating up on three tired, half-naked genin isn't my cup of tea. You guys can go put your clothes back on.”
 
They turned and put back on their clothes. “Here,” Taisuke said throwing each of them a packet. “Inside is the information for your first mission. It is ill-advised for you to be late.” He paused for a second. “One last thing and you can go,” he said motioning them to sit down. “In three months there will be a chunin exam. There you can be promoted.”
 
“Three months?” Hiroku said.
 
“Yep,” Taisuke responded. “To participate in the exam, you must complete a total of eight d-ranked missions. My question is not so much do you want to participate, but will you be ready?” They all went silent for a minute.
 
“Without a doubt,” Kasumi spoke up while standing breaking the silence. “We will all be ready.” She turned to her teammates.
 
“I agree,” Hiroku said. Sumiko nodded.
 
“Well, let's get the eight missions out of the way and begin training as quickly as possible,” Taisuke said.
 
“Right.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
“So the chunin exam is in three months and your sensei is having you participate in it, huh?” Hiroku's mother said wandering through her neck-length purple hair. He nodded. “Are you sure you don't want to try the jutsu?” his mother asked.
 
“No, Mom. I don't need the extra help. I'm fine. Besides, isn't that jutsu forbidden anyhow?”
 
“Maybe,” she said stretching in her chair and putting her feet on the table in the kitchen where they were talking.
 
Hiroku looked at her skeptically. “Until I see the positive of using it than no.”
 
“Well, your chakra reserves will increase. As they are, you have about as much chakra as an ten-year-old girl, that's bad. If I did the jutsu, your chakra reserves will at least increase,” she said activating her bloodline gauging Hiroku's chakra levels.
 
“Is that the major problem?” Hiroku questioned. She stared at him for a while as she turned her Byakugan off then nodded.
 
“Yes, and it's a problem that needs to be addressed.” Her eyes widened as if she hit a part of her mind that had genius written on it. “Roku, you know how I am a weapon smith, right?”
 
“Okay.”
 
“Well, I have been researching a way to store chakra into a weapon and I am on the verge of finding it out.”
 
“Such a thing exists?!” Hiroku said surprised standing up in his seat. He sat back down and calmed himself. “Where are you going with this?”
 
“Tell me, what kind of weapon are you good with?”
 
“Not many. I've experimented with fuuma shuriken and bo staffs, but I never really excelled in them. If I had to pick, a fuuma shuriken probably. Why?”
 
“You'll see. What affinity are you?”
 
“Wind,” Hiroku said puzzled.
 
“Good. It'll work better this way,” she said.
 
“What do you have in mind?”
 
“A special shuriken that allows you to store chakra inside of course. Three months is plenty of time to get the necessary materials together. It's the only thing I can think of to compensate for your lack of chakra.”
 
Hiroku sat wordlessly. “It's getting late. I'm going to bed; we have a mission tomorrow.”
 
“Good night.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
“Talk about hard work,” Kasumi said as they where returning to the village from their first uneventful mission. They had to help with a farm house outside Kohona. Hiroku built a fence while Sumiko and Kasumi planted vegetables. All three of them yelled as Taisuke sat under a tree and took a nap.
 
“Yeah,” Hiroku said.
 
“Quit complaining,” Sumiko said annoyed.
 
“Somebody's grumpy,” Kasumi said leaning over staring at Sumiko.
 
“I wonder who?” Sumiko said.
 
“Anyway, tomorrow is the water test, I suggest you wear swimsuits,” Taisuke said as they stepped inside Kohona. “First things, first, however. We must report our mission to the Hokage.”
 
“Okay,” Kasumi said.
 
“Is everyone's chakra reserves back up?” Taisuke asked.
 
“Yes,” they all said as they jumped from building to building trying to get to the Hokage Tower faster.
 
“So, how did you enjoy you're first mission?” Taisuke asked.
 
“It sucked,” Sumiko said bluntly.
 
“I agree,” Hiroku said.
 
“Taisuke-sensei, when are we going to get some better missions than this,” Kasumi asked.
 
“When you guys get more experienced,” Taisuke said.
 
“Guy's we're here,” Hiroku said as he jumped off the building and landed in front of the Hokage Tower.
 
The three new recruits stood in the background as Taisuke went over the mission specs with the Hokage. “He said that they did good work and he wanted them to stop by again sometime,” Taisuke finished.
 
“Good work,” Sarutobi said as Taisuke stood beside his team. “You will get your next assignment in a couple of days. Dismissed.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
 
“Kasumi, how did your first mission go,” Kasumi's father asked. They were in the living room. It had yellow wallpaper completely surrounding the room. There was a yellow couch with a coffe table in front of it. There was a yellow chair that was in the corner of the room where Kasumi was sitting. There was a t.v. in the opposite corner of the room.
 
“Boring,” Kasumi said putting the hand that was resting on the sofa on her chin.
 
He laughed loudly, his neck-length brown hair covering his eyes. “Yeah, they get boring for a while, but eventually they get interesting. Give it time.”
 
“You sure,” Kasumi asked.
 
He nodded. “Why don't you go help your Mom cook dinner,” he said.
 
“Okay,” she stood up and walked out of the living room.
 
`She told me yesterday that she was participating in the first chunin exam this year. I'm going to have to start training her in some jutsus soon,' he thought. `I hope she is water affinity.'
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------
 
“Okay, are you ready to begin?” Taisuke asked. They nodded as they revealed their swimwear. Kasumi was wearing a blue bikini and waterproof hair wrapping, Hiroku was wearing white trunks, and Sumiko was wearing a large red t-shirt that went to her thighs over a red one-piece bathing suit; she was still wearing her gauntlets.
 
“Sensei, what about you?” Kasumi asked. They stared as Taisuke disappeared.
 
“I'm behind you,” Taisuke said arms crossed. He was wearing blue trunks, his stopwatch around his neck. His students quickly turned around shocked.
 
“Wwwere did you come from?” Kasumi asked.
 
“Oh, I left my trunks at home and had to go get them. I used a Shadow Clone to bide time until I returned here.”
 
“Smart, really smart,” Sumiko said sarcastically.
 
“Now, into the water,” Taisuke said walking to the middle of the pond.
 
“Right.” They began walking on the edge of the water.
 
`Impressive, they still remember how to do it,' Taisuke thought. He got into a battle stance. “Ready, begin.”
 
Hiroku charged at Taisuke. He pulled up his right fist and threw it at Taisuke. Taisuke caught the fist in his hands and kicked him in the stomach with his right foot. Hiroku clinched his stomach in pain. Taisuke took the opportunity to get behind Hiroku and hit him behind the back. Hiroku hit the water and went under. Taisuke then turned his attention to the two girls. “What's wrong, don't have faith in your chakra control?” he said sardonically. They didn't move. `I guess so,” Taisuke thought. “Well, I guess I have to bring the fight to you,” he said doing several hand signs. “Water Style: Water Bullet Jutsu.” The compressed water landed directly in front of Kasumi and Sumiko sending them flying in opposite directions. Sumiko landed underwater immediately after coming down. Kasumi's body rolled on the water before she pushed herself up. She stared at herself in amazement.
 
“Did I just do that?” she said aloud. “Did I just not go under?”
 
“Yes. That's what I meant when I said it will come easier to you Kasumi compared to the other two. Kasumi nodded her head with new determination. She turned to see Hiroku and Sumiko coming out of the water and landing beside her as she began to form hand signs charging at Taisuke.
 
“Sound Style: Shockwave Jutsu.” The wind stirred up a small tidal wave heading straight for Taisuke.
 
“Well, I guess it's been a while since I've done the technique,” Taisuke said. He did three hand signs ending with dog. He opened the lower hand and began forming chakra that looked like a white orb and aimed it for the tidal wave. The group stared in awe as Sumiko's attack entered the white orb turning it a light blue color. Taisuke smirked putting his hands to his sides.
 
“Water Style: Dragon's Wave,” he said as he threw the ball at them. the group was again separated. Taisuke noticed that this time all three of them stayed afloat.
 
“What was that?” Hiroku said. “It absorbed the attack like it was nothing.
 
“That is my strongest attack, passed down by my sensei and his sensei and so on. Dragon's Wave!”
 
“Will we learn it?” Sumiko said picking herself up.
 
“In time. I finally completed the absorption property that has been so long dreamed, so for the most part, this technique is complete.”
“What is it,” Kasumi said.
 
“It is an absorption technique. It absorbs the chakra of a nearby attack and transforms into that element. The attack can also absorb the users chakra as well. In theory, it can absorb chakra combinations as well, however it has not been put into practice yet. Anyway, continue.”
 
All three of them rushed at their sensei. `I see. All three at once, huh?' Taisuke thought.
 
Sumiko and Kasumi attack both sides of Taisuke. They both extended a fist and aim for his torso. Taisuke guided the attacks past him using his hands. He looked up in time to catch Hiroku's left foot before it hit his head. He smirked as he flipped behind Kasumi and Sumiko causing all three of the genin to run into each other. Taisuke laughed as the three aspiring shinobi picked each other up. They charged at Taisuke again. Sumiko began to form hand signs. She took a deep breath as she ran.
 
“Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu,” she screamed breathing the fire.
 
Kasumi and Sumiko jumped to the left and right side of Taisuke. “I probably shouldn't use this technique again, but I just don't want to get rusty,” Taisuke said as the flames cleared revealing a red orb in his hand. He jumped in the air and threw the orb at the ground. “Fire Style: Dragon's Wave.” The blast landed in the middle of the three genin sending them flying backwards thumping with the water several times. “That's enough for today. You proved to be you have the chakra control to learn the technique I'll be teaching each of you.”
 
“What technique,” Hiroku said sitting on the water moving parts of his purple hair away from his face.
 
“Each of you will learn a technique according to your affinity. For you, Hiroku, it's Wind Style: Air Bullet. Kasumi, you will learn Water Style: Liquid Bullet Jutsu. Sumiko, you get off easy. You already know Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu, and you know it quite well for a genin.” Sumiko grinned with pride at the remark. “This is the kind of training you had in mind when you enlisted as genin, right?” Taisuke assumed. They nodded.
 
“Good. Now go put your clothes on, we have a mission tomorrow. I will hand you the packets after we get dried and dressed. I have towels over by that tree over there,” Taisuke said pointing to a tree on his left.
 
They nodded and ran for the trees. `I'm really starting to like this group. I think I can teach them the Dragon's Wave and know it's in good hands. He walked out the pond to go join his students.
 
I'd be lying if I didn't believe they were strong. I'd really be lying if I said they can't get stronger.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------
A/N: There goes another chapter. By the way the character's first names each have a meaning except Taisuke's. I wish I did more research on his name now. Sumiko means charcoal used for fire. Kasumi means mist. Hiroku means far and wide; it reminded me of the wind. Expect the next chapter soon and the chunin exams sometime in the near future. By the way, today is Sumiko's birthday. Thank you for reading. Until next chapter. Simple right?”