Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Curtain Call: Karei Mikkoku ❯ Ready, Set, Finish ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, but Dokueki is all mines!!!!!
 
.~*~.
 
There was a deep smashing sound as Dokueki's gangly body hit the wooden floor of her bedroom. She was entangled in her cream-colored bed sheets that now had her in a death hold. Dokueki forced herself upward into a sitting position, and gently rubbed her hand along her matted black hair. She looked over at the alarm clock that hung on the end of her nightstand, and stared at the black numbers.
 
5:40Am. Class doesn't even start until 7:15. Argh! If I go to sleep now I won't wake up until noon… I really need to go to bed sooner…
 
Dokueki sank back onto the floor and stared out the window waiting for her eyes to glaze over. Her alarm went off at 6:45 and she forced herself to stand up.
 
After making a zigzag pattern to the bathroom and getting into the shower's warm water, Dokueki finally started to wake up. Once finished with her shower, she proceeded to the sink: she looked over the toothbrush and toothpaste, and went strait into a groan as she fought the daily battle of combing her knee length hair.
 
When that fight was done and over with, she put her sleek hair into the style she wanted it which was messy bangs covering her right eye, and a tight bun that compacted almost all of Dokueki's hair. She checked out her hair against the contrast of her incredibly white skin in the mirror. Then, Dokueki walked over to her dresser, and began digging through top drawer. She pulled out a pair of tan shorts and a navy-blue sleeveless stomach shirt. Then, she closed the drawer and pulled a pile of netting off the top of the dresser, and rushed back into the bathroom.
 
Dokueki put on her clothes and pulled the netting up her legs until they stopped at her thighs, and glimpsed at her alarm clock on her way out of her room.
 
7:00. I'll have to hurry if I want to get there on time.
 
She trotted down the hall only to hear her stomach growl as she passed the kitchen. Dokueki ignored her stomach's cry for sustenance as she slipped her high heeled sandals on before she started her jog to the ninja academy.
 
.*.
 
Dokueki walked in the door to the classroom that was filled with thrill and excitement for today's exam. She spotted the mountain of spiky black hair that belonged to one of her closest friends and ran up behind him, only to drape her arms over his shoulders.
 
“Morning Shino!!!” Dokueki beamed. Shino had been Dokueki's first friend since she moved to the hidden leaf village. They got along so well because Shino was the odd-ball of the academy and Dokueki was the creepy new girl that struck fear into most everyone's core.
 
“Good Morning Dokueki!!” he replied in a tone that suggested he stayed up all night making sure none of his pets got to close to a bug-zapper.
 
“So, are you excited about today's genin exam?” she asked.
 
“YOU KNOW IT!!! THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!! WE'RE ALL GONNA BE GENIN!!” Naruto shouted as he jumped onto Dokueki's back. Naruto is also a good friend of Dokueki's because he's the class clown.
 
Oh… geez!!! That… hurt.
 
“Morning Naruto!” Dokueki giggled.
 
“Morning stick!!”
 
“Why do you always call me that Naruto?” she asked.
 
“Because… You're as skinny as a stick. Duh!
 
That caused Dokueki to shove Naruto off her back and look at her flat stomach and long thin legs.
 
I am a stick. I'm a walking stick. Dokueki thought as her head fell with the weight of depression and she dragged her feet to her seat in the front row.
 
Iruka, Dokueki's sensei, walked in every now and again only to call a name of one of Dokueki's classmates, and leaving with the person whose name was called.
 
After what seemed like a century Iruka finally called out Dokueki's last name, and she got up and followed her sensei out the door leaving a large group of people behind her.
 
When Dokueki entered the room Iruka was sitting with a white haired man behind a fold-out table with all of the headbands lying across the top.
 
“Good afternoon Kotuku Dokueki, I'm Mitzuki-sensei. Iruka-sensei and I would like you to make three shadow clones of yourself.” , Said the white haired man that sat next to Iruka.
 
“That's all?!” Dokueki snorted.
 
“That's all. You may begin when ready Miss Kotuku.” He answered.
 
Dokueki put her hands on her hips and smirked. She took a deep breathe and made the hand signs for the shadow clone jutsu. There were multiple poofs of smoke in the room, and suddenly, half the room was cramped with dozens of Dokueki's that were pressed up together. All of them were trying to squirm free as Mitzuki and Iruka stared wide eyed at a minimum 90 clones of Dokueki.
 
There was another puff of smoke, and all of the Dokueki clones disappeared just as fast as they had originally. Dokueki looked smug as she looked at the amazed expression of the men in front of her.
 
“Well… you… pass with flying colors. Congratulations Dokueki.” Iruka sounded dumb struck, but tossed one of the headbands on the table to her. She did a jump of joy after she caught her headband, then she ran out the door with a wave of her hand to her sensei.
 
Dokueki ran out of the building and down the street, clutching her headband in her hand. She ran past everyone that was on the street. She ran down block after block after block. She rounded the corner, and onto her porch. Dokueki threw the door open shouting, “Mom!! Mom!!!!! I'm a genin!!! I'm a ninja!!!”
 
“Dokueki is that you??” called Dokueki's mom. A woman with long green hair that hung over her shoulder rounded the corner that led to the kitchen. Dokueki handed her mother the headband in her hands. “Oh?! Dokueki you're a genin.”
 
“Why don't you sound happy for me?”
 
“Sweetheart, I am happy for you, but I just… I mean… do you really want to be a ninja?”
 
“Yeah mom, I do. Do you not want me to be one?”
 
“Sweetheart, don't say that!! Of course I want you to be happy, but…” she sounded outraged, “It's just that… your father was a ninja—“
 
“MOM!!” Dokueki scolded, cutting her off, “Either you tell me about dad or you don't! You can't have it both ways, it's not fair.”
 
Dokueki lived without a father. She was led to believe that her father was dead, even though she new it was a total lie, and barely knew anything about him. She knew a few things, like the fact that her mother hated him and didn't like to talk about him, or that her mother had shredded the pictures that he was in, or that she barley looked at Dokueki until the age of seven because she looked so much like him. Her mother had tried every trick in the book to get Dokueki to be the exact opposite of what her father was. She was, also, the only person that actually knew who Dokueki's father was and she was taking that secret to her grave.
 
“Fine, Dokueki, be a ninja. That is completely your choice.” Dokueki's mother sneered trying to pull reverse physiology on her daughter.
 
“Mom, is dad still alive or not?”
 
“I wouldn't know, dear. I don't keep tabs on you father.” She responded through clenched teeth.
 
“So, you wouldn't know if he lived across the street from us?!” Dokueki responded in a pissed tone of equal magnitude as she turned her back to her mother.
 
“This discussion over, Dokueki! I'm not talking to you about this anymore.”
 
“You always say that.” Dokueki murmured.
 
“Dokueki I do not always say that. Look I'm going to be late for work—“
 
“Oh yeah, a ANBUs work is never done is it?!” Dokueki spoke sarcastically.
 
Dokueki's mother was part of the ANBU black ops, and was very good at it. Dokueki, because of her mothers often absence, became very independent, and took her independence with her nosiness, and tried everything imaginable to figure something, anything out about her father. But her mother was very good at keeping secrets, and sadly, Dokueki found nothing.
 
Dokueki rocked back on her heels as her mother shut the door behind her when she left.
 
.~*Dokueki*~.
 
I looked out the window at the blackness of night.
 
I stared at the girl braiding her hair in the reflection of the glass. I watched her tie the end with a rubber band, and throw it over her shoulder. She followed me as I walked to the bathroom, and she disappeared when I went inside. I looked at the pile of cloths on floor next to the toilet. I put them on, and I looked in the mirror. The girl was back and she changed cloths too. She wore a long sleeved, turquoise, button down pajama shirt, and matching bottoms.
 
I walked away from her, knowing she would follow and disappear when I left. I walked down the hall, passing a large grandfather clock on the wall that read 9:59. I stormed into my moms' room, past her unmade bed, and into her closet.
 
Kneeling down I rummaged underneath the shelf behind her kimonos. I pulled out a wooden box I had found a few years ago while I was looking for answers on my mysterious father. I walked over and sat on the chair that looked out onto a large patio, and opened the rusty latch to the box. I pulled out the torn pictures that were inside, and flipped through my favorites of me as a baby.
 
The first was a picture of me when I was just a newborn. I was being held by pale hands that I guessed belonged to my dad, but I wasn't sure: the person's face was torn off.
 
The next of the four pictures was of my mom holding me. She had the same hands from the first picture wrapped around her waist and was looking up at what was now a ripped corner, but was smiling happily.
 
The third picture was one of the few pictures that weren't torn. It was of me and my mom. She had me sitting on her hip, and she was leaning away from me. In between us was someone in the distance with long black hair looking away from the two of us. It looked like my mom was bothered by whatever the person was doing or saying, but I didn't seem to notice what was taking place.
 
I wasn't even I the last picture. My mom was pregnant with me, and her hand was entwined with the mysterious white hands. The picture was ripped completely down the middle, and the weird part about this picture, was that mom looked a little worried. I wouldn't blame her for her face, though; I had probably just kicked her, seeing as she looked to be about eight months along.
 
I flipped through the others that were in box for about twenty minutes; before I shoved the pictures back in and set the box aside.
 
There was a snap sound that came from outside on the patio, which startle me. I jumped off my chair, and fell onto the floor loudly. I walked over to the sliding glass door, and stared into the blackness of night that covered the patio. I squinted trying to see something in the bushes or in the trees, but saw nothing through the misty glass. I slid open the door, and stepped out onto the cold concrete.
 
I felt goose bumps rise on my arm as I walked towards the bushes. I reached out to touch the leaves, and I heard the bush ruffle in the darkness right before I made contact, which made me pull back and run into the house. I slammed the door, locked it, and pulled the curtains shut.
 
I shut, locked, and covered every door and window in the house. I also slept that night with every light in the house on.
 
.*.
 
I walked into class jadedly. I sat in my seat, while I rubbed the crap out of my eye.
 
In a matter of seconds, all I could see were two big blue eyes. I leaned back, so I could see the eyes belonged to Naruto. He had a concerned look on his face, which made me lean away from him even farther. I leaned so far back I hit my head against something warm, but somewhat lumpy. I turned around seeing Shino with his hands in the pockets of his gray jacket.
 
“What's the matter Dokueki?” Shino asked in his emotionless voice.
 
“Something spooked me last night.”
 
“What happened???” Naruto gasped.
 
“It's nothing… I heard a noise. That's all. I'm fine guys, don't worry.”
 
Don't ask any more questions. I don't want you guys to think I'm a baby.
 
“Are you sure?” Shino asked, “You seems like you're having an `out of body' experience… Your mother wasn't home, was she?” he said after a moment when he figured out why I was actually bothered by what happened. I gave him a growl, telling him that I didn't want to talk about it. “I'm sending you home with some of my insects.”
 
“Geez! Can you be more of a pain, Shino?!”
 
With a poof of smoke Iruka-sensei came in, and settled the rambunctious class. He was holding the clipboard he had yesterday with a pen tucked behind his ear.
 
“Alright class, Congratulations for becoming genin. Now, I'm going to split you into groups of three. This is to get you more individual training with a completely new sensei. I'm going to name you off in your groups now.”
 
Then he started naming off groups. All the while, I was thinking- Come on!!! Shino, Naruto, Dokueki!! Shino, Naruto, Dokueki!! Shino, Naruto, Dokueki!! The three of us in a group!!
 
“Team 7: Uzumaki Naruto, Haruno Sakura, Uchiha Sasuke.”, Iruka called.
 
Man!!! Well, at least I can still have Shino on my team.
 
“Team 8: Inuzuka Kiba, Hyuga Hinata, Aburame Shino. That's every team. Is there any name I didn't call?” he asked.
 
I raised my hand, “Um… You didn't call my name, Iruka-sensei.”
 
“Oh right,” he scanned his clipboard, “Dokueki, your scores were off the charts; we're putting you in an advance team, so you get more of a challenge. Your new teammates have been training for a year already, but you should be equally matched with them.”
 
“Ooookay…” I said unsurely.
 
“Anyway class, we'll break for lunch, which will be an hour. Be back on time, so that you can meet your new sensei. You are dismissed.” Everyone stood up and shuffled out of the room. I began to walk over to Shino, who was waiting for me at the door with his new teammates. I stepped out from behind my desk and was grabbed at my upper arm. I was pulled up to Iruka-sensei, and was held in place. I was being gripped tightly, and my I could see were my circulation was being cut off because my skin was turning purple. I followed the hand that was wrapped around my arm to see its owner. The hand belonged to none other than Uchiha Sasuke.
 
“What is this?!!” Sasuke snarled. He sounded outraged, “How come she's in a more advanced group, and I'm not??! I'm just as advanced as she is, if not more!!! I get 100% on all of my grades! How can she be more advanced than the best??!!”
 
“Sasuke,” Iruka began, “I'm sorry to say that you do only what's required; Dokueki goes above and beyond.”
 
“Give me one example!!!” Sasuke shouted as I broke away from his hold.
 
“All right, this last exam; you made the required 3 clones, while she made… about 100.”
 
Sasuke huffed angrily. I looked over at the door; Shino was still there, and Inuzuka Kiba was standing there choking down his laughter. I looked back at Iruka, “Uh… can I go have lunch now, or do I have to be subject to another of duck-ass's tantrums again?” I said gesturing to Sasuke and his duck-ass-ish hair. I saw Sasuke fume in frustration and anger.
 
“No, you can go have lunch Dokueki… and you too, Sasuke.”
 
Sasuke gave one last angry look before storming out of class. I shrugged and scurried over to Shino.
 
.*.
 
Kiba gave me a happy grin and a pat on the back when we sat down under the trees outside the academy. Shino, Kiba, and the last one who must've been Hinata, each pulled out a bento. Kiba started chowing down on his bento with a little white dog; Hinata started to giggle at their animalistic ways of eating, and I swear she almost choked on the rice ball she was eating. Shino started eating, while I sat close stealing his food.
 
“So…uh,” Kiba started between bites, “You stuck it pretty good to Uchiha. I really don't think he's mad at you, so much as he's mad that you're better than him.”
 
His dog had trotted over, and I was too absorbed in “fluffy-doggy-pet-me-land” to really respond to his words.
 
“That's Akamaru.” He said, “Cute little fella huh?!”
 
I nodded. It was silent for awhile, and I looked at my headband that was around my left arm. I could feel a smile creeping up on my face…
 
“What are you so happy about?” Shino asked me.
 
“I… I'm just thinking about an old friend. I'm just wondering if he's a genin too.”
 
Gaara…
 
“Oooh, a `he!'” Kiba hollered.
 
“Shut up! He's just a friend from the sand village.”

But I wish we could be so much more!... Whoa!! I haven't thought about Gaara for years… I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I HAD TO MOVE RIGHT AS I GOT UP THE NERVE TO ASK HIM OUT!!!-_-

“We grew up together… but I haven't seen him in years. I don't want to talk about him, though.”
 
Shino stood up. Surprisingly, he'd already put away his bento, and was helping Hinata up, “Our lunch hour is almost over… we should be heading back.”
 
It was odd that our lunch was over, but oh well. The four of us trotted back inside the classroom. Shino and his new teammates walked to there seats, while I was being handed a yellow slip of paper by Iruka-sensei.
 
The note told me where to go and the name of my new sensei. I walked out of the room, and back down the hall.