Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Dry Ice ❯ Surprise! ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: We do not own any of the Naruto characters, or any other characters and copyright entities mentioned in this story. We do own Vivian, Bibi, and Laura, this plot line, and all the books carried in their backpacks. UFOa is also copyrighted by us, the authors, along with anything to do with it or its members. We don’t own or mean to offend the Amish or any manufacturers of diary products. We also didn’t invent the triangle or any proofs related to it and we did not invent light sabers or the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Whew, this disclaimer is going to be a page long by the completion of this story. We also don’t own physics or the weather, though I wish I did have power over the whole weather thing.

Summary: “Who are those three girls and why did they appear in our rooms?” pondered Naruto, Sasuke, and Kakashi. They are on a mission, quest, thing of intelligence!

Italics denotes mental thoughts

Authors’ note: Just a reminder from a previous Author’s Note which we will also post on every chapter from now on, we are changing the ages of the characters for the sake of this story. Yes we know that it doesn’t follow the ages of the characters of the show/manga. We are making Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, and the rest of the characters that are all their age, 16 years old at the beginning of this story and around the time of the first series. Kakashi is 19 years old, the youngest of the jounin, and he is still an ex-ANBU. Basically everything starts off around the second season of the show. The only thing that is different is all of their ages. Now, on with the story.

Other Quick Note: Still haven’t gotten anything back from beta, so we are taking away her title, given her the pink slip, and cut her lose. This all means that everything is going to stay unedited until another unsuspecting beta comes along and offers to help or until the story is done (the end is currently nowhere in sight) and we get around to fixing everything. Sorry for taking so long to get this chapter our, midterms were our pending doom for a while, but now they are over with and the sun is shining with a promise of more writing.



Chapter 8



Beep, beep, beep.

Vivian’s eyes fly open as her body jerks upright, practically causing whiplash.

Deja vu.
She looks around and sees Bibi peacefully slumbering on her side, facing away from her. Then there was Laura on her other side, unceremoniously sprawled on her bedroll with an arm hanging off one side and a pink socked foot poking through at the bottom of the sheet.


I’m so glad that I’m in Sakura’s house, not that I wouldn’t mind looking at Sasuke in the morning considering he’s pretty cute, but I was afraid yesterday was happening all over again. It would be like that movie, Groundhog Day staring Bill Murray where he keeps living Groundhog Day over and over again. Now that is a nightmare.

Bibi’s sleep crusted eyes cracked open as she got up silently and walked out of the room, not yet awake enough to acknowledge Vivian’s presence.

I’m surprised she didn’t walk into a wall or wander into the wrong room at the state of mind she’s in. Heck, her mind isn’t even functioning yet. She could probably use some coffee, not that she would drink the caffeine laced stuff, but it would probably give her enough of a jolt to wake up in the mornings properly. Or I could give her some strong Brazilian tea.

Bibi returned from the bathroom and she smiled at Vivian, proving that there was in fact someone home inside her head. She looked over at Laura, who was still asleep, even after the alarm clock’s dutiful sounding that could have awaken the dead or called an army to war.

What a ninja she would make. She has no sense of danger or anyone around her and would be dead by now if she was off on a mission. Imagine how easy it would be for an enemy nin to creep up or even bring a marching band with them in honor of her assassination and she wouldn’t hear it coming. Bibi thought, slightly amused with her friend’s sleeping habits; after all, this presented the perfect moment to get revenge on Laura for all the times she was poked in her side sending her into fits of giggles. Yes, this would be revenge.

Bibi slid over to Laura’s side and was about to poke her when she heard a mumble coming from the girl’s form. She caught Vivian’s questioning glance, silently wondering why Bibi stopped her approach of Laura. She motioned down to Laura and put a finger to her own lips, motioning down to Laura’s unmoving body.

“Mph, Kakashi,” Laura mumbled into the feathers of her pillow.

Bibi looked at her accomplice with an open mouth and wondered just what weird dream the sleeping teenage girl was having. (A/N: don’t be perverted, get your mind out of the gutter -_^ )

Vivian slowly moved backwards in preparation for Laura’s awakening.

Bibi got into a crouched position, poked Laura in the side and sprang backwards, away from danger.

Laura was lurched awake and emitted a startled noise sounding similar to a war cry. In her action, her limbs went flying in a poor attempt to defend herself and something came into contact with Bibi’s leg. Bibi screeched, not expecting the hit to her shin.

Sakura made a b-line for the room that was transmitting a cacophony for half the village to hear.

There must be a missing s-class nin in their from the sound of it. Someone must be attacking the girls.

She grabbed her kunai and threw open the door and taking a battle stance, not hesitating in the least.

Vivian looked up to the sudden burst of a being into their room. Her laughter only increased when she saw Sakura standing at ready with a kunai in her hand, clad in bunny print flannel pants and matching shirt looking anything but intimidating.

Her eyes widened, Vivian was clutching her sides with laughter, Laura looked ready to fight Bibi as Bibi stood in the corner of the room looking like a kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

Sakura sweat dropped and loosened her stiff pose and let her arm with the kunai slack to her side. She pivoted on her heel and stalked out of the room. With any luck, the day would all be over soon. I should have just stayed in bed, she thought.


The four girls walked up to the bridge and Sasuke who was blankly staring out from his position leaning casually against the side railing.

“Hi Sasuke-kun,” Sakura greeted cheerfully.

“Hmph.” Was the only sound of response made by Sasuke.

Laura took off her backpack, shifting some of its contents that were poking her in the back and started to put it back on. She was halfway through the motion when she paused and dropped it back to the ground.

“No sense in being weighed down when we’re just standing here.” She said.

Vivian and Bibi nodded and similarly dropped their bags to the ground.

The radiating blond ball of energy, also known as Naruto, bounced up to the group with a thousand watt grin that could rival one of Gai’s, but minus the shine off the bicuspids.

“Good morning Sakura-chan” he practically sang.

She frowned at him and turned away from him, acting as cold as Sasuke acts towards her.

Laura sauntered towards Bibi and Vivian and slung an arm around both of their shoulders. “Can you feel the love tonight?” She asked with feigned seriousness but full of sarcasm. Bibi laughed and then sang a few longs from the Lion King classic song then settled for humming the rest of it.


An hour later


Vivian stood against the railing of the bridge, her hands rested on its fade and cracking painted surface, looking into the serene waters below her. Leaves floated by while ducks caused ripples to spread around their buoyant paddling forms and fish darted from their presence.

It’s nice not to see paper cups from fast food chains and other trash lining the waterways here. Everything seems fresher and untouched, unlike back on earth. There, the pollution of our times hung in there air, never fading, like a persistent bad cough. Byproducts would probably erode at Earth’s atmosphere until there was none left.

Poof

Gray smoke swirled around the hazy form of Hatake Kakashi as he appeared high above the bridge on one of its supporting tresses. Everyone’s attention was diverted from whatever they were doing to him and his grand entrance.

“You’re late Kakashi, care to explain yourself?” Bibi said nonchalantly while looking up at him, her hand cupped at her forehead to shade her eyes from the glaring afternoon sun.

“Well, I got lost in my closet and didn’t stop to ask for directions,” he claimed. His gaze was meeting everyone’s as he said this, but stopping to hold eye contact a few seconds longer with Laura.

Her cheeks colored slightly, remembering yesterday’s escapades in his closet that prompted his idea for today’s excuse.

Vivian and Bibi smiled, recalling what Laura had told them of her slight mix up in exiting his apartment.

“Typical male,” mumbled Sakura.

Kakashi jumped off the beams with catlike finesse and landed gracefully on the bridge, then casually putting a gloved hand in his pants packet.

“I have a surprise for you guys today,” he said as his visible eye crinkled in amusement.

“Surprise, I love surprises!” Cheered Naruto.

This earned him a swift pounding on the head from Sakura and Sasuke just scoffed in Naruto’s general direction.

“We’re going camping.”

“Nani?!?!” Naruto and Sakura once again said together.

“I thought I might take you guys on something of a field trip so that we could get more acquainted and see what you three can do.” Kakashi stated while pulling out a book.

“When do we leave,” asked Vivian.

“Now.” Kakashi said while turning the page of his book.

Bibi, Laura and Vivian picked up their backpacks and put them on their backs, following Kakashi who was already walking off.

“But I haven’t had time to pack!” exclaimed a Sakura who looked to be on the verge of hyperventilating.

“A good ninja is always prepared,” Kakashi called out while scanning the page in he was on.

“You should take after the other girls, they all have what they need.” stated Sasuke as if everyone in the world knew this fact.

AHHHHH He just told me to be more like them. What’s happening. I was supposed to get compliments from him and show the other girls up. Damn whores raged Inner Sakura.

Sakura continued to mumble to herself while she completely ignored Naruto. When he finally gave up on talking to Sakura, his stomach gave a loud grumble.

”Oh, I wish I had packed some ramen. I could have had vegetable, beef, or chicken. I could have even gotten some of those take-out boxes full from Irachiku’s (spelling?)”

“Shut up dobe” Sasuke said bluntly to Naruto.

Bibi suddenly stopped, took off her backpack, and rummaged through it.

“Hey Naruto, I know it isn’t much, but here’s a book on 101 ways to cook ramen. Even though you can’t eat it, you can look at the pictures for a while.” She said while holding up a book that in Naruto’s eyes was the equivalent to the Bible.

His eyes widened and he started to charge towards his beloved book of Ramen.

Bibi saw him coming at her like a bull who had seen the red flag, and in a panicked decision, she chucked the book away from her.

Everyone, except Kakashi who was walking ahead, still with his masked nose in that perverted book, stopped and watched in slow motion as the book sailed through the air up and out of Naruto’s grasp. He skidded to a halt and turned around, determined to retrieve the book when it finally fell. The book continued sailing, right towards Kakashi. When the cook book was a hair’s width from Kakashi’s head, he caught it without even turning around or stopping. He now turned around, holding Come Come Paradise in one hand and the 101 ways to cook ramen in the other.

“I think you dropped your book Bibi.” He said with a sense of no emotion.

She covered her mouth with both her hands as she gasped. She brought them down and started to apologize profusely. “Oh my gosh Kakashi, I am so sorry. I wasn’t aiming for you. YouseeNarutosawwhatthebookwasandstartedtochargeatmeandsoIgotscaredandthrewt hebook.” She finished her explanation in only 3 breaths. She would have probably gotten to her knees to apologize if he hadn’t given Naruto the book right then.

Good thing the book was laminated, because Naruto started to drool all over it.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it. Besides, you were just testing my reflexes. Next time throw harder so I have to try more. I am a skilled jounin after all, ne?” He said to Bibi.

“I guess so.” She said as she smiled.

“Well, I think we’ll set up camp here, and there is a river beyond those trees there.” Kakashi said, pointing off to the east.

“Tomorrow I’ll have a chance to test your skill so I can figure out if I should train you guys or just send you back to the Hokage.” Kakashi said as he went back to his book, leafing through it until he found his dog eared page.

Vivian and Laura heard this and took a nervous gulp. Bibi wasn’t quite sure if he was joking or not, but his comment definitely didn’t ease her nerves in the least.

Kakashi rolled out his sleeping bag and jumped into a near by tree to read the latest version of Come Come Paradise. Sasuke cleared some ground for where he was going to sleep tonight, and Naruto randomly plopped down on to the ground, sending leaves up into the air. Sakura found a patch of grass near Sasuke and also sat down. As soon as she did this, Sasuke stood up, brushed off the dirt and leaves from his pants and said he was going to go catch some fish.

Naruto looked around and tagged along after him. After all, he had to catch more fish than his Uchiha rival. Sakura said she was going to go gather wood for a fire and everyone knew she was also going to try to see Sasuke with his shirt off. The three girls exchanged unsure glances.

“Anything we can do Kakashi?” Laura asked.

“Hm, no. Just find a place to sleep for tonight.” He said like his mind was elsewhere.

Vivian sat her pack down and triumphantly and pulled out a small package and started unfolding it.


5 minutes later.


“Ah, ha!”

Bibi turned to look at Vivian.

“I have a raincoat!” yelled Vivian.

“That’s great, but it’s not raining,” said Bibi.

“But it’s not for rain” replied Vivian.

“Then are you going to flash everyone?” Asked Laura.

“No, but since you two also have raincoats, we can somehow connect two of them, toss them over a low tree branch, and use the one left over for the floor. The only problem is connecting them.” Vivian said, verbally laying out her blueprints for a makeshift tent.

Kakashi watched discretely with interest. This was the beginning of his testing whether they knew it or not, and so far they had managed to catch onto the survival training faster than Naurto, Sasuke, and Sakura. This could hopefully inspire the others, but it was highly unlikely since they didn’t even come prepared with anything but the clothes on their back. These girls might have a chance of fitting in with the ninja group after all he mused. Plus, he was curious as to how exactly they were going to construct said “tent” and if all else fails, it would prove to be an amusing fiasco.

After a few brain wracking moments, Laura stood up, her eyes beaming from enlightenment. “Hair clips.” She said as if it were as plain as day.

Seeing the other’s puzzled looks, she went on to explain her outburst of an idea.

We take the hair clips or claws or whatever you want to call them, and connect the raincoats and clip it around the branch so they don’t go anywhere and are strong enough to hold since they have a spring in them.

Now, following her somewhat accessorized train of thoughts, the three set about constructing their shelter.

By the time the girls had constructed their raincoat fortress, Sakura had gotten enough fire wood to last through the night. Naruto came back from the river soaking wet, clothes clinging to him like a second skin. Sasuke trudged into the camp shortly after Naruto with a scowl chiseled on his face and a pile of fish in his arms.

“What took you so long Sasuke?” asked Kakashi, just to irk the poor boy.

“That dobe continuously jumped into the river along with his herd of kage bunshins and scared off all the fish. Next time, either he doesn’t come with me, or someone else can catch the food.” That was the end of his explanation and turned away, sulking into the corners of the shadows cast upon the ground by the trees and the slowly sinking sun still slightly emanating light through tops of the foliage.

Not long after dinner, the sun played its final game of hide and seek as it dipped down and was engulfed by the horizon. Crickets chirped off in the distance, their melody informing of the moderate temperature that seemed to welcome campers with open arms, just cool enough to breath easily but still warm enough to keep one’s body at homeostasis.