Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Fall from Grace ❯ The Incident ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Incident
They had been on a secret mission of espionage to survey enemy troop movements. Dangerous, but not an unusual mission, rather it was quite a typical one. They were deep in enemy territory but had to cross back into Konoha to relay the vital information they uncovered. They were close to the border now, so far so good, but then…
Despite all of his experience, his countless missions, his countless kills, despite the combined experience of the four man platoon, despite everything, they were fooled, tricked into a sophisticated barrier trap that would require time to unravel. Sakumo was scouting ahead when the trap was triggered. His quick reflexes enabled him to just barely get away.
From their surveillance they determined that the enemy troops were planning an attack to flank the Leaf troops, by sacrificing a smaller contingent, a decoy. Sakumo had to warn the main Leaf battalions before the enemy encircled them. But he didn't. Instead of continuing to escape, he backtracked to find and kill the five hidden enemies to bring down the barrier, to save his comrades from being tortured for information.
The decision was made and could not be unmade. Perhaps it was a decision made on the spur of the moment with no more thought than drinking when you're thirsty, eating when you're hungry. There was no serious contemplation of the ramifications. It was just based on instinct, he had to save his comrades or they would be killed. It should have been as simple as that. But in times of war, nothing is simple and all decisions can have far reaching ramifications.
“Sakumo, you fool! Why did you come back for us?”
“Damn it! You have to warn the main troops or they'll be slaughtered!”
“You should have left us to an honorable death. Now we'll return home in disgrace. How do you expect us to live while so many others will die?”
“I…I couldn't just leave you to your deaths…” What else could he say? They were right after all. It was the most difficult decision of his entire life - a no win situation, a desperate decision.
The team hurried to the front. It was unlikely that they would make it back before the armies engaged, but they could still possibly prevent a complete slaughter. Sakumo summoned his great white wolf and the Leaf forces were able to retreat without the enemy in pursuit. There were many casualties, but it could have been much worse. At first he was again hailed as a hero.
The Hokage was about to thank Sakumo in front of his platoon, the sannins and the other battalion leaders. Sakumo knew his men would not betray him. They would keep silent out of loyalty. But he saw the accusation in their eyes and he could not let the Hokage continue in what he felt would a travesty to all those who died so needlessly.
“I'm sorry Hokage-sama,” Sakumo said as he dropped to his knees and as everyone looked on in confusion. “Our defeat today, it was all my fault. I knew about the enemy's plan but I failed to complete the mission. I failed to get back in time…”
“It's all right, Sakumo-kun, I'm sure you tried your best. It's no one's fault, I'm sure you were delayed for a good reason.”
It was a good reason, but not good enough, not enough to compensate for all the lives lost. He could have left it at that. The Hokage did not blame him after all, but he still felt the eyes of comrades boring into his back. Sakumo remained on his knees and but now his comrades joined him.
“Forgive us Hokage-sama,” they said in unison.
The Hokage instinctively knew there was more to the story. This time he said nothing but waited for Sakumo to finish speaking.
When he was done there was only silence. No one spoke for the first minute. Then the murmurs started. The four men remained on their knees. The Hokage did not excuse them. “I see…” he said trying to keep his voice level, his anger from boiling over, “You, Sakumo, have disappointed me. You broke one of the most important rules to being a shinobi.” With that the Hokage turned his back on him and walked away. The murmurs became louder, rising to the level where Sakumo could hear the curses and insults. They were all directed at him. His three comrades finally got up with heads lowered but they were allowed to melt into the crowd. Sakumo remained on his knees, allowing the stones and well-deserved words of hate to pelt his body and soul.