Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Fighting Dreamers ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
 
“With love,” repeated Kakashi to himself. He sighed, feeling his heart sink in his chest. “It's been a long time since I've felt it.”
 
“I'm sure you'll find it…in your relationships with Iruka and Naruto. Isn't that why you are drawn to them, Kakashi?” said the Hokage, pacing slowly behind him.
 
Kakashi nodded. Yes, surely I will find it among them.
 
“I believe an opportunity has been presented, that can benefit us all. I will postpone the chuunin exams, but it'll take at least a week to repair caused by the earthquake. During that time, I'd like Naruto to leave, for if he saw what happened, he'd blame himself. And we can't risk another outbreak of Kyubi's power. Besides, Naruto needs time to settle down and heal…” said the Hokage gently, looking at Kakashi.
 
“Then, if I leave Konoha for a while with Iruka and Naruto, we'll spend some time together. Is that by you mean by an opportunity, Hokage-sama?” inquired Kakashi.
 
“Indeed, Kakashi. To heal your own heart and soul, as well as Naruto's and perhaps Iruka's.”
 
Hokage-sama is truly a wise man. He is like the father of Konaha, and all its villagers are his children. That's why he wants Iruka and I to work together and help Naruto, for love is what joins the heart of the shinobi. Without love, why would we die to protect one another? Thought Kakashi. He remembered his battle with Zabuza.
 
“I…I'm so scared! I don't wanna die. He's…going to kill me!” cried Naruto curled over on the ground, with his arms over his head.
 
As the cold shadow of Zabuza's blade fell on Naruto's neck, Kakashi blocked it, letting the cruel metal bite deep into his back. Even in the midst of pain, Kakashi smiled, saying, “Don't worry, Naruto-kun. I won't let him hurt you because I never let my comrades die.”
 
When that flashback ended, the words Kakashi said to Iruka earlier that day. “By protecting Naruto, I'm protecting you. Neither of you are lost or in danger because…I'm here for you,” Kakashi had said.
 
I'd give up my life to protect them. Is that love? Contemplated Kakashi.
 
* * *
 
“I will protect you no matter what, so don't cry, okay Naruto-kun?” said Iruka tenderly, wiping away Naruto's tears.
 
“R-really, sensei?” Naruto blinked, wide-eyed and teary. “When Mizuki tried to kill me, you protected me when that giant shuriken stabbed you in the back. Did the wound ever heal?” Naruto hugged Iruka, running his hand down between his shoulder blades where that weapon once impaled him.
 
“Oh Naruto-kun, such a physical wound is nothing. There are wounds far harder to heal.” Iruka laid a palm on Naruto's chest, over his beating heart. “They are the wounds of the heart.”
 
Naruto looked down at Iruka's hand, clutching the sensei's hand in his. “Wounds of the heart? What are those, Iruka-sensei?”
 
“They are mental wounds that run very deep, often lasting throughout one' s life,” whispered Iruka, pulling his student closer. “My wound was growing up without any love or family. I felt so alone I wanted to die until I met you, Naruto-kun.”
 
“Me?”
 
“Yes. You mean so much to me, Naruto-kun,” said Iruka warmly. “When I first met you, I saw myself in you, a lonely unwanted child the didn't care about. As time passed I realized that by loving you, I loved myself and perhaps through that love, my heart could be healed.”
 
“But sensei, we're two different people. I don't understand you,” said Naruto, confused by Iruka.
 
Iruka chuckled, patting him on the head. “Did I confuse you? To put it simply, when I'm with you, I'm happy.”
 
“R-really, Iruka-sensei!?” Naruto's smile broadened into a grin, his bright blue eyes widened glowing with joy. He cried tears of happiness, hugging his sensei tightly. “Oh, sensei that means so much. I never thought anyone loved or cared about me cause the villagers all hate me.”
 
“Don't say that, Naruto-kun, you are everything to me, you understand?” Iruka-sensei pushed back Naruto's hitae-ate, kissing him on the forehead, his touch tender and gentle.
 
“S…sensei!” he cried.
 
I'm glad to see he's better, but the real healing has yet to begin, thought Kakashi as he just returned.
 
To be continued…