Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Gen'inkekka ❯ Name/Ice and water ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Naruto characters and story belong to Kishimoto sensei et al. The ones I made up are mine though.
Thanks to Demanfox and Tricia1224 for their reviews, having feedback is something great.

Name
After a quite long and exasperating conversation about the attributes of ramen all provided by Naruto Mirai decided to change the topic.
“What kind of name is Naruto anyway” Mirai asked as they walked
“Oh! is that spiral cool thing in ramen you know” he said making all kinds of facial gestures while circling around Mirai.
Mirai just ignore the comment she was not going to acknowledge another ramen related comment “do you write it like echo door or echo gate?”
“None of those; I write it like this” he said showing her his bag with his name tag using the phonetic writing.
“First please remove that name tag or I will set it on fire, second did you named yourself? Or was it the ramen stall guy” Mirai looked at him worried.
“I do not know I think it was someone who knew that will be my favorite food” Naruto said. “Is a cool name isn’t it?”
Mirai just shook her head closing her eyes rubbing her forehead and sighted “Sarutobi if we ever meet in the afterlife I will make you pay for this” she thought.
“Your name means fish paste child, what is so great about that?”
Naruto stopped and frowned “And what about you do not tell me your name is so great?”
“Me?” Mirai question
“Yes shorai no kikyu (future balloon) Baachan that is an even odder name”
Mirai chuckled “how did you call me?”
“Well your name means future and your surname balloon so do not tell me about odd names” Naruto said putting his hands on his head and pouting.
Mirai laughed ´I have not been called like that since I was a kid´ she thought “It is written as mountain wind though I had the ill fortune of translating my name myself without consulting a dictionary” Mirai said.
“You are even worst that me” Naruto giggled
“I shiver in fear at the thought of you becoming Hokage” Mirai said looking at him sternly through her glasses.
“Hey! I will be the most awesome Hokage the world has ever seen, you’d better believe it!” Naruto protested
“Do you know what a Hokage is? What the title implies? Or you are just a loudmouth?” Mirai said trying to get back at Naruto’s comment.
“The Hokage is the greatest and most respected shinobi of the village” replied Naruto
“Mmm… then you can probably name a great deal of shinobi that deserve to be Hokage more?” Mirai retorted.
“Yes, but the Hokage is this super cool shinobi with lots of techniques and…” Naruto was out of words.
“Enough! you have no idea. The Hokage is the political head of Konoha, he represents the interest of the village and his decisions affect every person on the village. I can imagine you actually starting a war because of your lack of diplomacy, beating people up do not solve things in that world. The Hokage acts as a liaison between the ambassadors of the land of fire, the clients and the hidden village” Mirai enlisted
“But, but...” Naruto replied
“Out of words so early? Ignorance and recklessness are not requirements for Hokage those are hindrances.” Mirai remarked. “Hokages have to make decisions on daily basis like sending teams to suicide missions, assassination mission what would you do? Would you leave the village each time to protect them? Or would you be the hot head you are and will leave it behind whenever provoked as you have done even with other team mates to protect”
Naruto tried to utter a reply.
“Do not bring your nindo (way of ninja); you only can do that if you are on your own.”
Naruto lower his head and clenched his fist gazing down.
“Do not despair so early, I am not saying is impossible though, better an idealist than a warmonger” Mirai said having admonish him enough.
Naruto raised his gaze to meet her cocky smirk.
“I do promise you this, by the end of my training you will be more than ready to take any path you choose and maybe just maybe we can find your common sense on the way.” Mirai said urging him to continue walking.

Ice and Water
“The cold water lake shone in the mist of winter and big red howled to the moon” Naruto read
“Read it again” Mirai said she ate a bite of dango in the road stall that served as a refresh stop.
“The cold water…”
“Where on Earth does it say water, can’t you read?” Mirai said thinking ´not only ignorant but illiterate´
“Of course I can! it says water, right here!” he pointed to his book
“Give me that!” she demanded perfectly remembering that classic story of the land of Earth; abandoning her dango.
“The cold ice lake shone in the mist of winter and the red dog howled to the moon”
ICE! and DOG! notice the extra strokes on both symbols.
“Oh!” said Naruto
“Let’s call literature class off for today, she said as they prepared to eat as peacefully as she could.

After they were done eating she said “We will practice shuriken attacks”
“Right now?”
“Yes, right now” Mirai said putting the targets and order him to start
‘Nice wrist technique’ she thought, but noticed him missing the target by inches of the appointed target.
“Halt” she finally said realizing something
“Have you ever been to an eye doctor?” She asked no remembering seeing it on his memories
“A what?” Naruto replied “no usually only Tsunade baachan I have no need of doctor my guest takes care of that usually”
“When you were at the academy, why did you escape class?”
“Because it was boring” Naruto said stretching
“Why?” replied Mirai
“Well sometimes I got headaches when I read for too long or stare at the blackboard, thankfully once I graduated there was little need for that.”
“We will see one in the next city” Mirai said.
“But I heal instantly why would I need a doctor?” Naruto complained.
“We’ll see about that.”

Days later on some city near the Earth country
“There is no way I am using those!” Naruto said pointing at the glasses on Mirai’s hand
“Why?” Mirai said resisting the urge to punch him.
“I will look like Kabuto and that is way too scary”
“You heard the doctor, you need them particularly for reading, without them you confuse the letters therefore can’t learn properly and your aim is pathetic to say the least”
“Yes…but”
“You being neglected when growing up is one thing, but since you are on my care you will be properly treated” Mirai said firmly.
“I am in your care?” Naruto said in disbelief.
“Yes, your are! If you weren’t I would not even bother.” Mirai said handing him the glasses.

Notes.
Naruto. Fish-paste cake that is used to decorate ramen. According to the comments by Kishimoto sensei that is the meaning of his name. On more history there is a whirlpool strait in Japan with that name and it means echo, bark, sound and gate or door and you could refer to it by Naruto’s full name Naruto (that place name) Uzumaki (Whirlpool)
Fuusen literally means air ship meaning balloon and Mirai means future so her name means future balloon, however Mirai writes it as Wind mountain she was not born in Konoha and her early knowledge of the language spoken and written there was not very good at that time so she chose kind of poorly.
Though Mirai may seem a bit harsh she has the duty of bringing Naruto down from cloud nine and face reality he is no longer a small child although he may continue acting like one.