Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Gen'inkekka ❯ The toad and the sage ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
All Naruto’s Characters belong to Kishimoto sensei & co I am back t toy with them
The toad and the sage

The old toad sage looked down from the balcony of the luxurious ryokan he was staying considering seriously if he wanted to receive such visitors. He could probably buy the whole place but he had never been a sedentary man. He was sure he could have tried to start a family of his own, but fiding a wife that would put up his lecherous ways was too much to ask. Thosewere his thoughts before the visitors were announced. He was at peace with that part of his life finally and their arrival was something he had expected for years but dreaded to happen. He still had many wounds from many battles and not all had healed as he wished Tsunade’s recent demise had certainly taken a heavy toll on him, she had been the love of his life and may have acted upon again risking maiming and massive internal injuries but after the supposed kids death he had done what he was best at, fighting and risking your life was Ok but dealing with the aftermath well that never suited him really well. That was why he had left Konoha after Orochimaru trying to keep things the same and had basically abandoned it after Minato´s demise and that made him an awful choice for a Hokage successor which was not disregarded by Sarutobi. Many thing had come up some more surprising than others, some he would rather forget but one thing was certain he had outlived the immortality seeker Orochimaru and the frozen in time princess Tsunade, he who always thought would die in an heroic battle somewhere and he nearly did for Nagato had not been precisely lenient and if the toads had not intervene in the last minute he would have been pretty much wasted. His arm still ached quite a bit though from time to time and implants were never perfect but they were certainly functional.
Fleeing was not an option this time, and so he began recollecting his memories to make sense of the odd tangle the chronicles of Uzumaki Naruto had become.

Jiraiya took the seat Mirai had reluctantly offered him as they waited for Naruto´s return from the nearby village to finish an errand Mirai had given him as soon as he finished his kunai practice on the excuse “Patience is a virtue I expect you to develop and since we do not get such wonderful opportunities everyday, you will also have time to meditate before you blurt any more nonsense” Mirai had sharply added before shooing him away to get some food from the nearby village.
The crestfallen Naruto had to comply suggesting Mirai had been an old fling of the old Toad sage had not been his sharpest moment, but even he could tell they had something going on at least on Jiraiyas side the “I am not into old hags” comment was definitely fishy and had earn him dangerously enigmatic glare from Mirai, one he was very familiar when she got creative on disciplinary measures which would imply a lot of extra work should he idle any more. So taking his leave he was briefly comforted by Mirai’s reassuring comment. “Do not worry it is you he came to visit after all”

Jiraiya was not so reassured, he had not been lying when he told Tsunade he did not trust her, yet he had to admit she had been quite an eye catcher in the old days but for shinobi older than him.
“Time has treated you well, however you do seem older than I remember trying to change your looks” he said trying to break the ice
Mirai shook her head and sighed “a bit complex for your little mind toad sage”
Deciding to change the subject he continue “You must be proud though, your family is one of heroes” he remarked “Even the kid has the traits”
Mirai gave him an odd look not showing any emotional reaction as she answered
“A lover that does not keep his lifetime promise to remain by his beloved side, a son that does not keep his filial duties. You call that heroic? please spare me your will of fire blabber.”
“I really have never understood you all Konoha women would have been proud” Jiraiya replied
Keeping her tone Mirai continued “Of what of having family reunions on a graveyard? Please you know better than most how unkonohan I am” She replied grinning at her odd joke. Inwardly cursing her newfound sense of humor.
“Truth be told I never wanted Minato to be hero, neither wanted his father to become one, Heroes! As your call them don´t bring any comfort to the ones who stay behind from the altars they inhabit” Watching the glare she was receiving from Jiraiya she continued
“Do not get me wrong; the sage in me understands your point always has… but the woman Mirai just wanted them to be by her side nothing more” She sighed and stretched her arms. “Would you like some tea?”
The Jiraiya finally snapped.
“Then why by all that is sound to you did you left him; were your other duties so important”
Mirai gave him a bored look “Important enough to allow him have a life of his own, but I guess he was fond of shackles a great miscalculation on my part.”
“You truly have changed from the woman Sarutobi was so fond of.” Jiraiya finally said deciding to leave it at that.
“More than you could possibly imagine” Mirai replied heating the tea keetle with her bare hands.

AN. To all the reader I owe a sincere apology, It has been 6 month in which my life sort of took a life of its own do not ask something on the realm of finishing a thesis etc and my main computer has keep giving me headaches and I suspect my graphics card just died and I am still mourning it. But well hopefully next chapter will not delay as much.
The canon story has changed so much lately and I am planning to update accordingly.