Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Ghostly Eyes ❯ Second Coming ( Chapter 22 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
NARUTO
GHOSTLY EYES

By
Sgamer82

      Hinata could only stare at in the direction in which she had just sent Naruto flying. Her mind focused on only one question.

     What did I just do?


     She had just sent Uzumaki Naruto falling, very possibly, to his death. She wondered for a moment what on earth had possessed her to do that? She understood the answer just as quickly. Hinata looked at the old Ki’ge and understood. She had done it for him. For Da Iri’ga. For the Nimmori. For those who had acknowledged her talent and given her confidence and strength she had never known before.

     The Ki’ge, having watched all that transpired, was not surprised by the girl’s actions. He had felt such an outcome might occur. It was what made this girl such an ideal candidate for the Goddess. Even if the Purification was broken, he suspected she would still serve the Nimmori cause. When one desperately seeks acknowledgement above all else and receives it, she will do anything for those who give it. As he finished the final words of his chanting, he decided it was time to act, before the child wavered once more.

     “Kashghyu N’ga.” the Ki’ge said. The girl did not respond.

     “Hinata.” he said, using her name from Before. Her head snapped up and she stared at the old man.

     “Ki’ge…” ;

     “It is no time to falter. Are you ready, child, to fulfill your destiny? To become our Goddess?”

     Hinata’s mouth formed a thin line. For a moment, the Ki’ge honestly wondered if she would indeed be able to follow through. His fears were unfounded, however, as the girl activated the Ghostly Eyes and walked closer to him.

     “I am!” she replied, all the confidence of Kashghyu N’ga in her voice.

     “Then let the final stage commence.” with that, the Ki’ge took a deep breath, calling up his Life’s Flame to perform the technique that would provide the signal to those scattered among the Ley Lines’ focusing points. The man picked up a mound of leaves scattered near him. Some from the heat of Kashghyu N’ga’s battle, some just there because they fell on their own. He held them for a moment, channeling the Flame into the leaves. He next took a deep breath and blew as he opened his palm. What had once been leaves flew from the man’s palm in the shape of bright flower petals. A simple technique, one he used in festivals and celebrations to heighten the mood. People believed that when they caught the petals the Ki’ge made, they would be blessed with good fortune. As this would be the greatest moment of the Nimmori’s history, it was truly appropriate.

     The Ki’ge clapped his hands together. With the guidance of his Life’s Flame the petals scattered. They flew along the winds on a path that would take them all past the channelers hidden deep in the woods. They would channel their power into the lines of the forest. From there the power would flow along the lines until they reached a single point. A nexus in the system. One located on the plaza, where he and Kashghyu N’ga waited.

     In the woods, men and women, those with the most powerful and enduring of Life’s Flames, saw the flower petals fly by and understood. It was time. They summoned as much power as they could manage from their inner Flames. When its strength reached its peak, the put their hands down on the ground. Their target was the junction point of the Ley Lines. These points would absorb the power and send it along the complex pathways that would eventually reach the plaza. There, all the Nimmoris’ power would gather, creating a beacon great enough that the Goddess would know the exact location of their vessel. The location of She of the Ghostly Eyes.

----------

     Kurenai had just been about to land her final blow upon Da Iri’ga when she heard Naruto’s scream above her. She immediately put her kunai back into her leg pouch and ran towards the direction Naruto’s voice came from. While she knew it was a problem not finishing her enemy yet again, her teammate came first. Kurenai saw him as she ran around the base of the high stump. He was plummeting to the ground. She didn’t hesitate.

     She ran as hard as she could to Naruto’s likely landing point. She jumped and spread out her arms and legs into a spread eagle position. She knew it was foolish to try and actually catch him, so she settled on breaking his fall. He fell on top of her as she did what she could to cushion his fall. Doing so, however, it took a large toll on her. Naruto’s weight, falling at the speed it was and hitting her body, caused, at the very least, severe injury to one of her arms as she hit the ground. She couldn’t tell if the bone was broken or not, regardless the arm was useless. She also felt some pain in her back.

     Naruto, however, got off relatively unscathed. There weren’t any serious injuries on him as far as she could tell. Naruto rolled himself off of Kurenai’s body and only just then noticed what he had landed on.

     “Kurenai-sensei!” he cried out. Kurenai sat up and reassured him she was more or less fine. She had him explain the events up above and why he was falling like he had. She listened silently as he quickly related his fight with Hinata and her condition after regaining her memories.

     

  &nbs p;  “No…” Kurenai whispered silently to herself, “We failed…”

     “Not yet we didn’t!” Naruto yelled, “it’s not over yet! I’m going back u-”

     “It’s over Naruto.” Kurenai said as she stood herself up, “Hinata is lost to us.”

     “But…”< br>
     “Naruto, you said Hinata was confused. She didn’t know what to do or even who she was. In that condition, she would have reoriented herself by seeking that which gave her the greatest comfort and direction. In that condition, she chose Kashghyu N’ga over Hyuga Hinata!”

     Both Shinobi were silent for a long time. Only Kurenai’s training kept her emotions from pouring out. Kurenai didn’t want to believe it. However, she knew it was true. The Hyuga Hinata they’d always known was lost to them. Even if they got her back now, for better or for worse she’d never be the same.

     Kurenai didn’t wish to have to do what she knew was next. But now, there was little choice. As they spoke, the Nimmori were finishing the ceremony that would bring the goddess forth. A ceremony that absolutely could not be successful, no matter what. They had to put an end to it somehow. They had to re-start the cataclysm that destroyed Morigakure Village so long ago. Even though it would mean their lives.

     Suddenly, the ground around them began to glow. A faint white hue began to emit from the soil. Kurenai scanned the sight and realized that the white light seemed to be almost a spider webbed network of pathways and currents.

     The Ley Lines! Kurenai realized. Chakra was being channeled into them at such a quantity that they were becoming visible to the naked eye. Looking at the stump, Kurenai saw the lines snake their way up into the tree trunk high into the air. She knew, at the top, was a great cluster of the lines. A focal point in the network. All the Chakra would gather at a specific point in that cluster. Though it would be near impossible to gauge exactly where.

     Near impossible, that is, without the use of the Byakugan. With a person of the Hyuga clan, it was possible to successfully complete the ritual. Which meant…

     “Mori… No…

     Kurenai turned towards the sound of the voice and saw Da Iri’ga, leaning on his right arm and supporting himself against the large tree. Kurenai’s shuriken earlier had apparently done more damage than she realized, as his left arm hung limp at his side and his stomach still had small wound in it. Kurenai surmised it was the blood loss from the gut injury that made him have trouble moving. He wouldn’t be fighting any more.

     “Mori… no…

     He staggered and fell into a sitting position, his back leaning against the roots of the tree.

     “Mori… no Megami!” he cried out, a smile on his face.

     “What?!” Naruto said.

     “Their goddess is about to be reborn!” Kurenai explained.

     “No…”
     Kurenai looked at the boy, whose demeanor had suddenly changed.

     “NO!!!” he cried out. He brought his hands together and began calling up Chakra. Kurenai wondered what he was thinking when she suddenly felt the rush of power coming from within him. She understood at once. He was calling on the powers of the Kyuubi, the Nine-Tailed fox sealed within him.

     “Naruto…”

     “I won’t let her do it!” he cried out, “I don’t care what it takes!”

     He was about to rush up the tree full tilt when Kurenai called out to him. She considered trying to convince him not to go, but she knew it would be pointless. He was decided and Kurenai was in no condition to physically stop him.

     “Naruto…” she said, “Good luck. And, for what it’s worth, the Fox really wasn’t why we brought you.”

     Naruto turned and looked up at the tree.

     “I know. And thanks.”

     With that, Naruto, swathed in the red light of the demon’s Chakra, ran to take one last shot at keeping Hinata from destroying herself.

----------

     Da Iri’ga watched the faces of the Shee’nobie fall as he pronounced the coming of his goddess. His enemies might have beaten him, but Kashghyu N’ga, with the goddess’ power, would finish them. His own face fell, however, at the experience that came next.

     The blond boy, the one Kashghyu had been infatuated with, began displaying the power of a Life’s Flame more intense than any Da Iri’ga had felt before. The power of that Flame chilled him to the very bone. It felt terrible and he wasn’t even close to it. He watched as the boy, strengthened by that power charged his way up to the Plaza.

     Yuhi Kurenai turned and saw him. She smirked at the expression of shock on his face before falling back into a sitting position, the injuries of battle and saving the boy catching up to her. They sat there, alone, for a few moments. Soon though, Da Iri’ga felt that chill in his bones again. He felt that terrible power once more.

     He initially thought the blond boy was returning. But he then discovered something was different about this. It wasn’t coming from above him. It was coming from below.

     The dark power was coming from the Ley Lines. The pathways that were channeling the Goddess to his foster daughter.

     No! he thought, It cannot be! This power… this demonic Flame… it can’t be our Goddess!

     As the feeling of dread passed and faded, he looked up, to where he could now feel two of the intense flames, racing up to the top of the tree. He looked to Kurenai, who appeared as worried as he now felt.

     If that truly was their Goddess, then just what was Kashghyu N’ga about to become?

----------

     Naruto charged up the tree as fast as his fox-heightened legs would take him. There was no time for hesitation, for second thoughts. Even conscious thought was lost to him, save for the one driving Naruto’s actions in these moments.

     I have to save Hinata!!! Hinata was the first. Before Kakashi-sensei. Before Sakura-chan and Sasuke. Before even Iruka-sensei! Even if she couldn’t say so, she was the first to believe in me! I won’t let her become a monster!! Not like I am!! No matter what it takes!!! Hinata is the one person I will not… I
can not fail!!!

     And he wouldn’t. Even if doing so meant his life. Which might well become the case, as Naruto suddenly felt something behind him. He couldn’t see anything chasing him, but was there. A spirit, or some other entity that possessed no body. Or at least, didn’t possess one at the moment. Naruto guessed that this was the forest goddess everyone was so worried about. It felt similar to the Fox, making him understand exactly why it made everybody nervous.

     To make matters worse, the forest itself had suddenly decided to become Naruto’s enemy. From atop the plaza, the Ki’ge, sensing Naruto’s approach, took countermeasures. Nearly every technique he could muster the strength for he was using. Naruto dodged and weaved, while keeping up as much forward momentum as he could, while branches from nearby trees suddenly stretched and shot at him in an attempt to run him through.

     The bark of the tree he ran on was constantly pulling at Naruto’s feet, trying to grab him and pull him into the tree like a wooden quicksand. Leaves shot from all directions to injure him.

     Naruto easily managed enough force to extract his feet free of the tree bark trying to snare him. He could expel his Chakra out with such force that the tree leaves either stopped or burned to a crisp due to the unstable force. The spearing branches were nothing to worry about either, he could easily dodge, catch, and rip them apart as necessary.

      His charge would not be abated, though. When Naruto reached the platform that made up the top of the Plaza, his eyes locked onto Hinata’s, who stood there, Byakugan activated, shocked at the sight before her. The Ki’ge, desperate to stop the boy, used the final technique at his disposal. To the casual observer, it might have seemed as though the trees themselves moved down to create a wall. In actuality, it was an ancient and complex ninjutsu which summoned forth the bark from nearby trees and densely packed around the users to form a nearly impenetrable barrier.

     Nearly.

 &nbs p;   For, without even breaking stride, Naruto clapped his hands together and made the sign necessary to form two Kage Bunshin at his side. He held his hand, palm up, out to them. As they moved, the Bunshin began moving their hands around his own, molding the Chakra Naruto was forming there into a coherent ball shape and maintaining it. As Naruto reached the wooden barrier before him, the two Bunshin vanished. Naruto slammed his hand into the trees before him with as much force as he could. The Rasengan spiraling in that palm ripped through the bark wall blocking his way with such ease that Naruto might well have been breaking through paper.

     The wall down, nothing stood between himself and Hinata. She watched, awestruck, as Naruto charged at her. Naruto remembered briefly that the ritual required Hinata to remain in one place. That meant that where she was standing right now was probably that one place. Which, in turn, meant that the ceremony would fail if Hinata was moved. But, if it failed the whole forested valley they were in could be destroyed, and Hinata with it.

     There was only one thing Naruto could think to do. And he had no qualms about doing it.

     He tackled Hinata out of her place and took it for himself.

     “Naruto-kun!?” Hinata exclaimed as she hit the ground.

     “Hinata. Run, now.” Naruto said.

     Naruto let out a loud scream of pain as the other monstrous Chakra reached him. Starting from his feet, it swarmed through his body. Just as the Ley Lines did with her approach, the massive power made Naruto’s own inner Chakra networks shine bright white, making them visible to the naked eye. Every nerve ending in his body screamed out in pain every bit as much as Naruto himself did.

     But he didn’t care. With a grin on his face, he fell onto his back, and awaited whatever would come next.