Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Gravity ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Please wait in the seats over there,” the woman at the desk pointed behind them. “Tsunade has ordered that Mr. Uchiha’s room may not be open to visitors until she has returned to the lobby.”
“Thank you,” Sakura smiled, obediently heading toward the chairs.
“Hey,” Naruto leaned over the lady's desk, “I heard some rumors that he’s sharing a room with a girl.”
Sakura froze in mid step, gripping the flowers in her arms tighter against her chest.
“Yes,” the woman answered. “The young lady was the one who had brought him in.”
“Do you know who it is?” Naruto asked.
“Let me see,” she thumbed through some files on her desk. Her finger stopped on a page and she frowned at it for a long moment before looking up at Naruto’s eager face once more. “For some odd reason her name is not filed.”
“That’s weird,” Naruto frowned. “Well,” he paused, standing straight up now, instead of leaning carelessly too close to the woman’s personal space, “do you know what she looks like?”
“Well,” the woman tapped her chin with her index finger to think, “I remember slightly that she had long hair. Either it was black or just muddy. I'm not sure, because they were both very dirty.” She paused before a long moment before her eyes grew wide with excitement. “Oh, but I did see her eyes! The night she came in,” now she leaned over the desk, beginning to whisper, “she had a purple Sharingan in both eyes.”
“A purple Sharingan?” Sakura repeated quietly to herself, her face growing pale.
“The girl had Mr. Uchiha on her back and they were both hurt tremendously. Every injury was noticeable, because of how she favored a leg and leaned all of his weight on one shoulder rather than both. We offered a stretcher, but she refused to put him down. She insisted to bring him to the room as if she didn’t trust us! She was very strong. That is, until…”
“Until…?” Naruto breathed, infatuated.
“As soon as she laid Mr. Uchiha’s body down on the bed, she collapsed, no breathing, no heartbeat, nothing.”
Naruto’s mouth was gaping. “Is she okay?”
“No one knows,” the woman leaned back into her chair. “That’s why no one is allowed to enter Mr. Uchiha’s room. Tsunade is trying to heal her.”
Now Sakura was facing the woman as well, gaping just as bad as Naruto. The two teammates looked at each other with sympathy and worry in their eyes.
Naruto looked back at the woman. “But Sasuke is fine, right?” he asked quickly, both of them waiting impatiently for her answer.
She opened her mouth to respond, but another voice boomed from the hallway on their right. “He is immobile,” the voice announced, “but conscious. He can’t speak or move, but he can hear.”
Tsunade walked slowly out of the hallway. Her hair was pulled into a bun and her face was drenched with sweat.
“And the girl?” Sakura asked.
Tsunade glared at the woman, who attached herself back to the files on her desk, self consciously finishing up the paperwork she should have had done.
“She is fine,” Tsunade sighed. “Come with me.”
She turned and walked down the hall. They followed her eagerly.
“Who is she?” Naruto asked.
Tsunade didn’t seem to be listening as she turned a corner. A long moment passed and Sakura burst with frustration.
“Tsunade-sama, we have the right to know!” she exclaimed.
“Oh, do you?” Tsunade retorted, still refraining an answer as she turned another corner. “You really think you have any business with this girl?”
“Y-yes,” Sakura stuttered, searching for a valid reason. “She…she saved our teammate’s life!”
“Yeah!” Naruto included, as if his input made any difference.
“Sakura,” Tsunade hissed, causing both her and Naruto to wince, “this girl could destroy you. She might even,” she paused, “be able to destroy me...if she wanted to. So I will not be giving out information that I do not have permission to give out. Do you understand?!”
They fell silent as Tsunade’s clicking heels lead the way to Sasuke’s room. It took a while, but they finally reached it. This hospital didn’t believe stairs were safe, so, instead, the floor was slanted upward and lead to each story. It was thoughtful, but exhausting and took maybe a little too long.
Tsunade put her hand on the knob of the door and finally looked at them, her expression serious. “You will not wake her and you will not touch either of them,” she commanded. “They’re recovering from massive injuries that you could only imagine. They’re covered with blankets, so you will not see any disturbing things, but do not touch them.”
With that, she opened the door and walked away, saying over her shoulder, “You have ten minutes. I am watching.”
Sakura and Naruto gulped down their itching fear not to go inside. Naruto took a step back and gestured toward the doorway with his arm, bowing his head. “Ladies first,” his weak voice quivered.
Sakura frowned, but nodded and entered anyway. Even if he hadn’t meant it in a mannerly way, she had to take it that way in order to keep her temper to a minimum. As she walked in, the scent of dirt and bark flared into her nostrils.
There were two beds on the opposite side of the room. Both heads of the beds were against the wall, while the foot of the beds were toward her, so she couldn’t tell who was in which bed. The window was between them, allowing the beautiful sunshine to shine its bright rays into the gloomy room. She decided to check the bed on the right for Sasuke, hoping it wasn’t the girl, but also hoping the opposite. She wasn’t sure what she wanted.
She walked slowly toward it, trying to see the face from a distance, because she was afraid of getting too close and waking the girl if it was her. She saw a hint of black hair, but the blanket covered it, so she couldn’t see how long it was.
“Sakura,” Naruto whispered, causing her to jump and look at him. He was standing next to the other bed. “It’s Sasuke.”
She walked over and peered down at Sasuke’s pale-green face. The butterflies in her stomach swirled with nervous sadness. She wanted to see him normal again. He was barely recognizable. All of a sudden, she forgot about Sasuke. She looked at Naruto, who was already looking at her, and they both knew what the other was thinking.
“I want to know who it is,” they both whispered, turning from Sasuke’s bed to face the other one across the room.
“Okay,” Sakura whispered, “we’re going to walk over there together on the count of three.” Naruto nodded. “One, two…”
“Three,” Naruto said, and they both walked briskly to the other side of the hospital room.
They loomed over the girl as if she were an alien, staring speechlessly at her with absolute astonishment.
“No way,” Sakura denied, forgetting to whisper. “It can’t be her.”
“Hyuga Hinata?!” Naruto exclaimed.
They gazed at her white, bruised face, lost in a whirlwind of panicked thoughts.
“Alright,” they heard Tsunade’s voice, hurling their attention toward the doorway, “your ten minutes…” She gasped piercingly, stopping abruptly in place. “Uchiha!” she bellowed as she jogged toward the opposite side of the room from the two frightened teenagers.
Sakura and Naruto turned to see Sasuke standing beside his bed, glaring at the two of them with his Sharingan blazing a deep crimson within his eyes. Sakura made a weak noise of dread, matching her gaze with his. Naruto took a step forward, the side of his mouth twitching with an unsure smile.
“Sasuke,” he tried to laugh in a friendly way, “you’re alive. We were so…”
His voice trailed off when Sasuke growled. Tsunade stood next to him, uncertain whether or not she should take a hold of him and force him back into the bed or wait out his dying strength. Sasuke walked toward his teammates, his grimace deepening as he grew closer. They expected him to stop in front of them, the way someone would if they were going to confront another person, but he shoved them apart so he could get through. Everyone watched in confusion as he sat down on the side of Hyuga Hinata’s bed and proceeded to run his fingers through her long, dark hair.
After a long moment of silence, other than the cheerful talking of the nurses and patients outside the room, Tsunade walked around to the other side of the bed and spoke.
“Sasuke,” she soothed, smiling slightly, “she will be all right.” She reached her hand out toward Hinata’s shoulder. “It will be a while, but she will recover.”
Just before her hand grazed Hinata in any way, Sasuke grabbed her wrist and flung it away. He did not look up or mumble a sound. Tsunade frowned in wonder.
“Sasuke,” the soothing in her voice was gone, “talk.”
He didn’t obey, just continued his kind gesture of compassion for the sleeping girl.
“Sasuke, if you can, just say one word,” she told him.
He looked at her and shook his head. For a moment she thought he just didn’t want to, but then he moved his fingers up to his throat. She knew then that her guess had been right.
“You cannot speak,” she breathed.
Sakura gasped.
Sasuke shook his head. Tsunade watched his fingers stream through Hinata’s hair. After a while, her gaze became a stare, then an intense gaping. Suddenly, her eyes widened and she held her hand out.
“Sasuke,” she ordered, “give me your hand.”
“What now?” Sakura whined, tears pouring down her cheeks.
Sasuke frowned questioningly, but obeyed. She held his index finger, between her thumb and other four fingers of her free hand, and proceeded to bend it inward and then straight again. She repeated this a few times, studying his hand.
“Do you feel that?”
Sasuke lifted his shoulders.
She tried the rest of his fingers as well as his other hand, but the answer didn’t change.
“Oh no…”
“What?” Naruto asked, subconsciously wrapping his arm around Sakura’s shoulders because of her crying. “Is he going to be okay?”
“I’m not sure,” Tsunade spoke hurriedly, studying Sasuke’s calm face. “Sasuke, how old are you?” She took a notebook and pencil from her pocket and wrote the number “16” on it. “Is this how old you are?”
Sasuke squinted at it and shook his head rapidly.
“What?!” Sakura screamed, hugging Naruto’s waist. “Yes, Sasuke, you're sixteen years old!”
“Hush, Sakura,” Tsunade hissed. “Sasuke,”—she placed her finger over the “1” to only let him see the number “6”—“are you six years old?”
Sasuke was glaring at Sakura, possibly for her outburst, but he nodded his head to answer.
“Sasuke,” Tsunade said his name in a soft and soothing voice, forcing him to look at her because of the sudden gentleness in her tone, “will you please come with me?”
He hesitated, leaning closer to Hinata.
Tsunade smiled sweetly. “Your mommy will be fine. She is just sleeping.” She rounded the bottom of the bed. “She told me, before she fell asleep, that it was your bedtime too.”
Sasuke looked unsure, the way a child would after hearing a gentle stranger's voice. He peered down at Hinata’s face, as if to ask in his mind if Tsunade was telling the truth. When he finally looked back up at Tsunade, she was bent down to his height with a warm smile on her face and her hand held out to him.
With a wink, she beckoned, “Come, Sasuke-sama, your bed is just across the room from mommy’s.”
Sakura and Naruto watched in amazement as the Hokage-sama lead this sixteen year old boy to his bed with baby words and small steps. Naruto glanced down at Sakura with worry in his eyes. After a moment of gazing, they became completely aware of their bodies. Blushing a deep crimson, they slowly untwisted themselves.
He cleared his throat. “My fault.”
“Yep,” she replied.
Tsunade kissed Sasuke’s forehead and he closed his eyes with a smile. “Good night, Sasuke-sama,” she whispered.
She stood up straight, from leaning over to kiss him, and turned toward the doorway, beckoning at it with a slight movement of her head for Sakura and Naruto to leave with her. Tsunade smiled when they practically ran out the door and down the hall. It was understandable. Just as she took a step, a cold hand wrapped around her wrist. She looked over her shoulder to see Sasuke gazing up at her.
“Yes?”
He looked toward their right and a small smile spread across his lips. Tsunade knew immediately what that meant. She whirled around to see Hinata sitting up in bed. Her long hair covered her face and she raised her knees to her chest. The Hokage was frozen with fear. If Sasuke was stuck in the past, what would the she be like?
“A boy…” her voice was hoarse. “I saved a boy.”
Tsunade looked at Sasuke who was now lying on his back sound asleep. She couldn’t think of what to do with Hinata—whether it be speaking with her or possibly sedating her—so she walked over to the heart monitor and began hooking it up to Sasuke. It was something she had wanted to do as soon as the visitors had left and she wanted to hear what Hinata had to say anyway.
“We were...s-surrounded by...light,” Hinata continued, placing her hand firmly against her forehead. “It was s-so...bright and everything was sc...screaming.”
None of this made sense and she didn't try to decipher it. In a way, she didn't want to. She knew this day was going to haunt their lives forever. All she wanted now was for them to rest and recover no matter how long it took.


~ ~ ~
A/N: Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this chapter, the rest of the book is located here:
http://redbyakugan.webs.com
and here
http://youtube.com/user/theredbyakugan

Please leave comments if you'd like. Good or bad feedback is great. Anything that will help me get better with my writing is perfect. ;)