Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Growing Together ❯ Getting to know each other ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I’m Haruno Sakura. I have three brothers and live in a middle class neighborhood in Konoha, a city located north of Suna. My siblings and I are all adopted so we each have different last names. My eldest brother’s name is Uchiha Sasuke. He is fifteen and was adopted when he was five after his brother snapped and murdered his family. He is very protective but always knows what to do. His best friend is Sai. He lives with his step sister, who is my best friend, Hinata. They both have the same last name, Kinomi from a rich family. Hinata's family adopted Sai when he was very young because his parents died. Sai is fifteen too, and has a mouth that is rude and will never shut up. Let’s say he isn’t the sharpest kunai in the holster. When he’s around adults he’s a little more polite but other than that...I CAN’T STAND HIM!

My younger brother is Uzumaki Naruto. He is very nice and gets concerned about anyone. He may appear to be loud but really, he doesn’t talk that much. His best friend is this love depraved quiet kid named Sabaku no Gaara. He may look mean but he’s alright...I guess. Naruto likes my best friend Hinata but is afraid she doesn’t like him, so he doesn’t tell her. She really likes him but he can’t tell either. They’re both dense.

Any way we now reach my last sibling, Konohamaru. He is only nine so we make Naruto hang out with him. It doesn’t make a difference though because Naruto took to him like a fish takes to water. They both had a similar past. Konohamaru never really knew his parents as did Naruto. They both lived a life of wandering the streets living off what they could until our parents picked them up out of their lonely hell hole.

I’m satisfied with my life I would say. We have two sections of the town. One for rich people and the other for poor people. The rich kids have a separate school than us. Only rich folk are aloud on that half of town. Something about them being better or something. That half of town is nicer than ours. All the roads in town are made of dirt and we have a lot of bushes but no grass really. The buildings are made out of wood not plaster and are really small. Hinata and Sai live on the rich side but they prefer to go to the poor school with us. I don’t know why. Maybe ‘cuz we such good friends with them. Whatever the reason, I’m glad...well, at least for Hinata.

So now that I explained where I am in life, let’s go to the present:

‘Dude...school sucked today.” complained Naruto dragging his back pack behind him. Hinata giggled which made him blush. He liked it when she giggled.

Gaara rolled his eyes. Even though he had two siblings, Temari and Kankuro, he liked to walk with us since Naruto was his closest friend. He didn’t have many friends ok?

“Just because you failed the test and the teacher made you sit outside in the hot sun doesn’t mean you should mope. Get over it.” said Sasuke stuffing his hands in his pockets. I was looking ahead at the dirt road, minding my own business when I heard whispering. Turning my head around I saw Sai whisper something to Konohamaru that made him giggle. He stopped and looked up at me and smiled a sly grin.

“What?” I asked creasing my brow. He shrugged and sped up to Sasuke.

“Hey!” he explained putting his hand on Sasuke’s shoulder.

“What?” asked Sasuke, annoyed. Don’t get me wrong, he likes Sai but he bugs the hell out of him. But, I’m sure he thinks of him as a best friend...inside.

“Don’t be like that. I didn’t do nothing. I was just saying hi to my best friend.” he said squinting his eyes as a foolish smile appeared on his face.

“Whatever.” he mumbled removing his hand from his shoulder. Sai shrugged again and started babbling about how hard school was and how he didn’t want to fail again. More like couldn’t afford to fail again.

I sighed and looked at Hinata.” How do you live with that? I mean, I know it wasn’t his fault his parents were killed in that fire but that doesn’t give him a reason to be obnoxious.”

“W-well...Sai-niisan can’t help it...H-he’s always like that. I guess it’s his w-way of forgetting...”

I guess I can sympathize with that. When our house came into view, Gaara parted his way to his house while Hinata stood by the gate.

“Can I come in a minute? I left my history book in your room.” said Sai receiving a nod from Sasuke.” Wait out here Hinata. Be out in a minute.”

Hinata nodded and leaned against the fence.

Following Naruto and Konohamaru we all went in the house.

Naruto dropped his bag by the door and kicked his sandals off by Konohamaru’s and went into his room to flop on the bottom bunk that was his. Our house has only three bedrooms; one for our parents, one for me; it is a very small room, and one for the boys. I followed after him just to sit down. I always preferred to be in there than in my room.

“You know where my room is.” said Sasuke walking into the kitchen with Konohamaru to make some ramen. Once Naruto smelled that, he dashed out of the room leaving me alone.

Sai walked down the hall into the boys room. I was reading when he walked through the arch of the doorway.

“Hey.” I said not bothering to look up from my book. We have a big final at the end of the week and I wasn’t going to fail.

“What’re you studying for already? The test is in a week. Can’t you just study later?” he asked in his I-know-what’s-good-for-you kind of voice.

“I like getting ahead.” I said starting to get irritated. Why did Sasuke even hang out with him?

“I’m the smartest in the class. It’s a habit of mine.”

“Don’t gotta be.” he said looking around for his book.

“Then get lost. I’d prefer to study in quiet.”

“That’s why you got your own room for.” he said crouching to look under the bed.

I looked up briefly for a second to see him stand back up and look on the top bunk.

“You’re older than me so in terms shouldn’t you be the smartest?”

He looked over at me with a blank, sort of questioning face.

“I used to be smart believe it or not.”

“Before the fire...?”

Ohh. I cringed at the look on his face. Everything became silent.

“Well ya, if you like to put it like that!” he said putting his goofy look back on.

I smiled and rolled my eyes, turning back to my book.

“Found it!”

I heard the thumping of his feet coming to me and then he stuck his hand under my butt, feeling around.

I jumped so high, you could say my head nearly hit the ceiling.

“What the hell are you doing!” I yelled attempting to slap him over the head with my book but he caught it. He may not be smart but he is really athletic.

“I got my book. What’s it to you ya perv!” he said sticking out his tongue and dashing out the door. I stood in silence for a second before anger hit me. He got the last word!

“Your the perv!” I screeched.

The next day we all got up, ate some oat meal and headed outside.

“Bye Mom!” I yelled shutting the door and rushing outside. If we didn’t hurry then we would be late.

Upon coming outside, we saw Gaara waiting outside our gate. Naruto rushed up to him and started chatting about all the stupid things that happened yesterday. I sighed and looked over at Sasuke who was just looking ahead blankly.

“Did you do the homework?” Naruto asked Gaara. He looked over at the boy and nodded.

“Great! ‘Cause I didn’t.” said Naruto with a relieved grin. Konohamaru doesn’t come with us to morning school, we pick him up later when we come home. He is younger than us

“Ne, Sasuke?” I started.

“Hm?”

“Do you think…Do you think Hinata and I will go to the same school in a few years. I mean, she is rich and her parents are thinking about sending her to a private school….” I asked worriedly.

“Same goes for Sai too, huh?”

I nodded and fiddled with my fingers.

“I suppose you have to do with the time you have. Can’t be together forever. We’re just a little too different.”

“I guess your right…”

I felt a hand ruffle my hair and looked over at Sasuke. I smiled and knocked his hand away playfully. I’m glad he’s my brother.

As soon as we reached the fork in the road, that’s where Sai and Hinata were.

“Hey! What took you?” said Sai walking up to us impatiently.

“Woke up late” replied Sasuke not bothering to stop.

“Alright, alright. Hey! Guess what!”

“What!” asked Naruto suddenly jumping into the conversation.

“…I heard from Shikamaru, whose mom is the teacher, that that witch bumped the test up to today—“

“WHAT!” the group yelled ‘cept for me. I was too busy smirking to care if they failed.

“See? That’s why it’s good to get an early start.” I boasted to Sai.

“I’m pretty sure I can pass it. I pay attention in history once in a while.” He said.

“S-Sai-niisan studied last night…” Hinata whispered to me. I was surprised at that information since…well, he never does it.

“No worries. As long as you did your homework.” Said Gaara blankly looking over at his friend who was crying waterfalls.

--

“Alright class! Pass up your homework and clear off your desks. We’re having the test today!” exclaimed Mrs. Nara.

The class groaned and panicked except for the ones who knew.

“Oh. What an utter and complete surprise.” Said Shikamaru lazily.

I took my pencil and smiled.

“I love tests. They’re so challenging.” I said receiving my paper.

Sai gave me a cross look from next to me.” Are you kidding?”

“I don’t kid, Sai.” I said still smiling.

“Then you’re crazy.” He said turning to his paper. I scowled but resumed to my work. Whenever I take a test everything else blacks out and I only notice my test. I can’t hear anything or see anything but the test and my thoughts. It’s a talent of mine.

I was halfway through my test when something knocked me out of my thoughts. A note was on my desk covering my paper. I looked over at the empty desk to my right, then to the one with Sai in it to my left. He must have gave it to me.

I opened it up to see that it was cheats. It contained the answers to the test. I gasped and looked around for a place to put it. If I got caught then I’d fail!

Seeing no other place, I tried to put it in my backpack. The zipper wouldn’t open and I cursed under my breath. When I finally got it open, I started to panic and tried to force it in there. I dropped it on the floor instead. Reaching for it a foot found it before my hand. My heart stopped.

“Is this yours Sakura?” asked Mrs. Nara. I was frozen. She bent down and picked the note up, unfolding it. She furrowed her brows upon reading the contents.

“I’m afraid that you will have to go sit in the hall.”

Tears welled in my eyes. I was the perfect student who never got in trouble and always got good grades. This was all Sai’s fault! Even though I didn’t have proof, I know he did it!

Walking out the door I heard whispers and the teacher crumpling my test. I turned the corner and was surprised to see Sasuke sitting there.

He looked up at me.” You too huh?” I nodded.

Sasuke sighed and looked over at the lunch tables. My anger rose and I was about to say something but Sasuke beat me to it.

“I know. You can’t stand him. But you have no evidence that it was him.”

I shut my mouth and plopped down and leaned against the classroom.

“You have no proof he didn’t. He gave me those god damn notes and I got caught and failed. I never fail!” I said feeling like crying.

“Sai can be annoying sometimes but I don’t think he did it. Especially to his best friends.”

“…I guess not…maybe. But I –“

“I know.” Said Sasuke smiling.” You still can’t stand him.”

I stared at him but couldn’t help a smile fall on my lips.

--

RING

The school bell rang and we gathered our stuff. I shoved my notebook in my backpack.

“Sakura! Are you coming? We are going to be late picking up Konohamaru!” shouted Naruto through the window.

“…Go ahead! I might be a while.” I yelled waving to him. He nodded and turned around.

“Hey Gaara! Wait up!”

After finishing putting my stuff back in my pack, I hesitantly made my way up to Mrs. Nara who was currently grading tests.

“U-Um…Mrs.Nara?” I asked biting my lower lip.

“Hm?” she asked not even looking up. I shifted from one foot to another.

“W-well…I was wondering if…I was going to fail the test?”

I waited a second only hearing the sound of her pen on paper. She looked up at me and set her pen down to fold her hands.

“Sakura, it surprised me greatly to see you with a note. Cheating! Devastated you could say. You are my best student.”

I lowered my gaze to my blue Konoha sandals and sighed.

“It wasn’t my note…” I mumbled.

“What was that?”

“It wasn’t mine!” I said harshly, looking up and clenching my fists.

She stared at me in the eyes, searching.

“Then whose was it?” she asked.

I started to sweat. I couldn’t tell her I didn’t know and yet I couldn’t blame Sai although I think he did it…

“It was…” I turned my head to think of someone when I see Sai standing by the door scared looking and shaking his hands.

“SAI” I burst out in surprise to see him still here.

“Kinomi Sai did it? Well it wouldn’t surprise me that he would but after he was doing so well—“

“No! He didn’t do it.” I said rushing my brain to find someone most likely to be the culprit.

“Then who did Sakura?”

No one came to mind since I was the last one in the row and the only person next to me was Sai because Sasuke was already gone.

“I….don’t know.” I said lowering my voice.

“Uh-huh…You’re dismissed Sakura.” She said turning back to her papers.

My heart sank as I walked out that door only to be greeted by Sai’s grins.

“Thank god you didn’t say it was me! I thought you would for a minute.” He said walking along side me.

“No. But I have a good mind to go right back and report you. You did it any ways. I never fail and that was my first F in my life.” I turned my head and glared needles at him getting close to his calm face.” IN MY LIFE.

He poked my nose and I leaned back and put my hand over it.

“I didn’t do that. Like I would pass you a cheating note when I know you wouldn’t use it? Give me a reason.” He said turning the dirt corner.

“For kicks, dumbass. Why aren’t you with Sasuke?” I asked trying to forget the subject. My mom was going to kill me.

“I had to take care of some business first.” He said looking back at me.

“Like?”

He scooted close to me and pulled my left hip to his right and whispered in my ear.

“None of your business Haruno.”

His warm breath on my ear gave me tingles I shouldn’t feel till I’m sixteen. I don’t have a crush on him, but if any boy besides my brothers do that, I’d probably get the same reaction.

Pushing him away he stuck his tongue out at me.

“The hells your problem? You’ve been acting weird lately.” I said rubbing my ear to get rid of his feeling.’

“That isn’t any of your business neither.”

“You are my business. Always hanging around Sasuke and pulling pranks. You’re my best friend’s brother and my brother’s best friend so you come over a lot. You joke around with me and bother me at school. Don’t tell me you ain’t my business.” I said sternly.

He shrugged and continued walking.

“I’m not done with you yet!” I said chasing after him.

--

“God! Will you slow down!” I yelled. I was trying to catch Sai all the way home and by damn, why did he have to be so athletic!

“You’re too fat to catch me!” he yelled grinning at me.

“Grr!”

We ran up to the gate of my house and he stopped up on my porch. I don’t know why he did come to my house when he could have just walked home. He probably would say it’s too dangerous to let a fourteen year old girl walk home by herself.

“Got ya!” I said reaching for his sleeve but he moved and I went smack into the screen! Turning around halfway he pressed me to the screen, belly first, and pinned my wrists down.

“Now, are you going to apologize for your bad mouth?” he asked chuckling evilly.

“Wha—Never! I don’t owe you nothin’!” I said trying to get free.

“Come on. Say your sorry and you’re free.” He said squeezing my stomach.

“I said no damn it!” I yelled.

“What’s going on?” suddenly the screen flew open and we fell forward with Sai on top of me into our house. I looked up to see Sasuke starring at us.

“Get off me Sai!” I said making him roll off me and scramble up to his feet.

“Hey Sasuke.” He said acting as if nothing had happened.

“What the hell were you doing?” he asked.

“Just making her apologize for all the bad words she said around me.” He said. I growled.

“No! Just being a pervert and making me angry!” I yelled getting off the floor.

“No. This is a pervert.” He said and pinned me against a wall gliding his tongue over my neck and rubbing my thigh!

Sasuke sighed and pulled his reckless friend off me and freed me from the warmth he emitted.

“Augh! What the hell! Just ‘cause I say you’re a pervert doesn’t mean you have to act like it.” I said rubbing my neck clean of his saliva.

“Why are you here anyway?”

“Hinata’s here.” Said Sai walking down the hall to get his cousin.

“Sasuke…Don’t ever let him walk home with me alone again. You don’t know what he’s capable of.” I warned him.

“Did he have sex with you or violate your body?” he asked.

“No.”

“Then don’t worry. He wouldn’t do anything bad. ‘Specually to you.”

Sasuke walked down the hall way and got Sai and Hinata.

“See y-you tomorrow S-sakura…” said Hinata blushing. From the look of it I could tell she liked spending the afternoon with Naruto.

Well, I guess hanging out with Sai isn’t so bad if I can get Hinata happy. Plus…he’s pretty nice too…

Spring rolled around the corner before we knew it. The flowers were in bloom and our garden burst up into color…Well more like my mini garden did. I have a 2 by 2 foot garden in my front yard by the porch.

Spring break was for this week so Hinata and Sai came over a lot more. I was outside with Hinata fixing up my only prized possession when Naruto came bursting out in his shorts.

“Hey!” he yelled. Hinata blushed and I stared at him.

“What are you doing?” I asked. I know it was hot, but not that hot.

“Me and the other Konohamaru are going to the river bend area to go swimming. Might as well get started while it’s close to summer. Do you guys want to come?” he asked as Konohamaru came out from behind the screen.

“Uh…sure.” I said placing down my pot.

Hinata and I got up and went in the house to change into our swim shorts and tops. We don’t own swimsuits. I would never show that much skin and wear it any way.

Walking down the hall I bumped into Sai’s chest. Looking up at him, yes he is alot taller than me, I saw he didn’t have a shirt on and was holding a towel.

“Oh no….Naruto didn’t say you were going.” I groaned seeing him smile.

“He meant to say the boys are going swimming would you like to join? Don’t get mad at me.” He said gently rubbing against me to get down the hall making me blush.

“S-Sakura…You’re blushing…” said Hinata smiling.

“Y-you would too if any boy you saw walked past you without a shirt.” I commented hearing the boys door open.

Sasuke walked out without a shirt as well making Hinata blush, although not as much when Naruto came out.

I cocked a brow at her smiling and she blushed more walking back into my half room. That’s the nickname. It’s only the side of half a bedroom without a closet.

After we finished changing we closed the screen door.

“See you Mom!” I yelled.

“Mom’s not home.” Said Sasuke at the end of the gate.

“Oh…See you Dad!”

“Dad’s not home either.”

“Oh…Well then where did they go?” I asked walking over to him.

“Mom’s down town and Dad’s at the south side—“

“What! I thought he was at work…”

“Don’t worry, he won’t get hurt. He’s dad.”

“Alright…”

--

We reached the small stream like river and I sighed placing my stuff under the tree. In the center was a sand bar type thing that you can swim out to to just relax.

I preferred to sit under the big oak tree and wait a while before swimming. I like to relax first and then get wet.

Hinata was placing her towel down and removing her sandals when Naruto grabbed her arm and dragged her to the water with Sasuke.

“Hinata! We need one more person to do chicken wars. You can be on my shoulders while Konohamaru is on Sasuke’s.

“N-Naruto-kun…” Hinata said and practically froze being dragged like a rag doll by the slightly blushing Naruto. He wanted to play chicken wars, but he also wanted to feel her soft skin on his. Yep, he has been bundling these feelings up forever.

I shook my head smiling and sitting on my towel. One day those two won’t be so shy around each other.

“Sakura watch out!” Sasuke yelled snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked up just enough to get splashed soaking me from head to toe.

“Ah!”

Flinging my hair out of my eyes I saw Sai’s head emerge slowly from the water looking slightly frightened when realization hit him who he accidentally splashed.

“Sorry Sakura!” he said rubbing the back of his head.

Sasuke dropped Konohamaru in the water and walked over to me with his towel.

“Here. Yours will take a while to dry.”

I hesistantly reached and took the towel.

“Sai, don’t cannon ball off the tree.” Sasuke warned looking over at his friend coming out of the water.

“Right, right.”

“Sai!” I slowly raised my voice standing up. He shrank a little seeing how angry I was.

Then I surprised him by smiling.

“What a girly splash. Let me show you how it’s done.” I said pushing him out of my way and starting to climb the tree.

He just stared at me questioning like.

When I got to the top leaning back I was about to jump when Sai yelled at me.

“Don’t slip!”

Well it’s the pebble to the pole thing again, because he said it, it would happen. If he said slip then I wouldn’t. So,….I slipped.

Falling face first in the water I got so much up my nose. Plunging through the surface, I coughed up water and sank back down.

“Sai!” Sasuke said about to go in the water and save me.

“I got it, I got it.” Said Sai already halfway under water. He swam under and grabbed my arm bringing me back to the surface.

“Cough…Sai…I hate you…cough…” I choked out.

“Sure you do, that’s why you tried to show me up even though you aren’t as athletic as me, huh?” he said smiling smugly at me. I pinched him and walked over to Sasuke.

--

“Go Hinata go!” I yelled. They started another round of chicken wars and it was Hinata on Naruto and Konohamaru on Sasuke.

“Get her Konohamaru! Knock her off!” yelled Sai from in the tree swinging his fist in the air.

“That’s your sister, Sai.” I protested.

“Say what you will, but a boy can’t loose to a girl.” He said looking down at me and swinging his feet like a five year old.

“Sexist.”

“No, if I was a sexist I’d be homosexual—“

“Eek!”

We both looked over at the game and saw Hinata fall off Naruto’s shoulders and Sasuke fall back dropping Konohamaru. He emerged from under water and help up Konohamaru’s arm.

“Winner!”

“Yatta!” yelled Konohamaru.

“Cheater!” I yelled going to help Hinata up.

“How can he cheat? He’s two times smaller than her.” Said Sai jumping down from the tree.

“Sasuke’s bigger than Naruto and he hit Naruto’s leg making Hinata loose balance.” I explained.

“You just can’t handle a boy beating a girl.” He said crossing his arms.

“Excuse me?”

“You feel intimidated. I’m not sexist or anything but girls can’t beat boys in wrestling.”

“Prove it.” I said pushing his chest.

“Wha?”

“I said.” Hitting him in the chest again making him back up.” Prove it.”

“F…Fine! I will.” He exclaimed. Sasuke rolled his eyes at how Sakura could get Sai to do the stupidest things and Naruto made bubble with his mouth under water.

When we got in position, Sai on Sasuke and me on Naruto.

“Ready…CHICKEN WAR!” yelled Konohamaru.

I braced myself as Sai gripped my shoulders in a death hold.

I did the same back to him accept one of my hands rested on his waist, to try and make him loose his balance.

“You’re going down Sakura.”

“Heh heh…No that would be you Kinomi.” I said grinning at him. He frowned and attempted to push me to the side, but I gripped onto his waist harder making him go with me so he stopped.

“Fine then…” he said and gripped my waist. I felt his hand through the thin material of my wet shirt feeling disturbed by the warmth it gave off suddenly making me awfully cold.

I swung my arm around his neck and brought him close to pull him over my brothers head when he did something that I would puke if my mouth was open. My hair was tickling his face when I did that and he sneezed right in my face!

“Augh!” I shrieked and flew back making Naruto loose his balance.

“Sakura!” Naruto said loosing his footing. Before I could fall all the way I saw that arrogant smirk Sai had on his face and my pride rose.

Shooting my hand forward I grabbed his raven short hair and pulled him forward with me and all of us plunged under water.

Shooting up I met Sai’s eyes.

“Ha-ha! It was a draw!” I yelled throwing myself on him and gave him a noogie.

“Let go Sakura!” he said falling back under water where he could be free from her grip.

“Hehehehe….” I mumbled and walked out of the water.

--

It was relaxing on my now dry towel for about thirty minutes when I heard Hinata mumble something to Sasuke that made him grunt. Then I heard Konohamaru and Naruto giggle.

“What guys—Ah!” I started but opened my eyes to see Sai an inch away from my face staring at me.

“What are you doing?” I complained.

“Just looking. What’s it to you?” he asked not even batting an eyelash.

“You’re way close to my face that’s what.”

“Do you want me closer?” he asked seductively making me freeze.

“Just kidding just kidding.” He said and moved away from me.

“Seriously. I swear to god you have been acting weird.” I said sitting up.

I was minding my own business sitting on the side of the waters edge sticking my feet in the water when I hear footsteps behind me. I just thought it was Konohamaru walking over to the tree with Hinata because they weren’t falling into line with each other. Boy was I wrong. I felt something slimy fall down my shirt and start wiggling.

“Eek!” I shriek feeling it slide farther making me fall forward in the water. I was rolling around while hearing laughter and then I reached in and pulled out a worm.

Throwing it aside, I looked over to see Naruto doubled over on the ground laughing and Sai crouching down smiling and waving at me.

“You guys! I just dried off.” I complained seeing them laugh some more.

“C-come on Sakura…hhahahahhahh….It was just a joke…” Naruto choked out.

“Ya, listen to Uzumaki.” Said Sai, standing up.

“Sai, this was your worm right?” I say picking up an even bigger earth worm out of the water. It was huge and bulgy, just like lard. And I swear it had a mouth!” Then you can have it back!” I yelled throwing at him landing in his hair.

His eyes widened and he ruffled his hair around making the ‘worm’ fall onto his arm latching on. He fell on his butt and looked at me horrified. I smirked.

“Sakura!” he yelled.

My smirk fell. Why was he sounding so frantic?

“This isn’t a worm!” he said trying to pry the pink thing off his arm.

“Then what is it?” I ask hesitantly.

“It’s a leech!” he yells making me shoot out of the water and grab the branch above my head. No way was there leeches in this water before.

I watched as he pulled the leech off painfully and had blood dribble down from the wound. The leech tried crawling back to his leg but he scrambled away.

I attempted to swing my way over to the shore but my hand slipped and I fell back in the water.

“Sai!”

He slid over to the water and pulled me out by my arm.

“Thanks…I hate things that suck…”

“More than me?” he asks smiling.

“Don’t be silly now. You know you suck too.” I said smiling at him bearing teeth.

“Attitude problem…” he mumbles but I hear and glare at him. Pushing him in the water I walk over to Sasuke.

--

After we left at three, we went home and changed. Hinata and I emerged from my room and saw Sasuke and Naruto cooking some lunch.

“Where’s mom?” I ask coming in the room.

“She said she’s going to be home at five.” Said Sasuke not bothering to look up from the pot of boiling water on that horrible broken down piece of crap that somehow is still a working stove, laid by the wooden wall.

“What about dad?” I ask.” He should have been home by now.” I say looking down the hall as Sai appears out of Sasuke’s room.

“I don’t know. It might take a while to get back…” he said, his voice unsure making me shiver. Downtown isn’t the best place to be especially if you’re from here. The wealthy people don’t think we belong on that half of town so if you go bad things happen. That’s why we never go to the Kinomi’s.

Later mom arrived home late. It was raining when we heard the screen door open and the wind howling.

“Mom?” I shout over the wind looking up from the board game we were playing in the dim light of the living room.

“Yes, honey!” she shouts back closing the door and everything is silent again. My mom walks into the room half drenched.

“Woah…what happened to you?” asks Sai.

“The rain Sai-kun. It’s horrible out there. Everyone is ordered to stay on alert in case of flooding or something. Where’s your father? Is he asleep?” she asks setting down her bag on the nightstand.

I exchange a glance with Sasuke.

“He’s downtown…” Sasuke says like he’s half listening and half thinking.

My moms face contorts into a fearful expression.

“You’re kidding right?” she asks with a shaky voice.

Everyone in the room is silent. For the next few hours all we hear is mom’s pacing and the storm outside. Not even Sai is talking. My mom makes a call to see if my dad can be found but they just told her it was to dangerous tonight and they would look in the morning.

She attempted to leave but we told her that we didn’t want her going out so she stayed.

The next day my dad was found dead.

--

I sat on the porch just looking blankly into my garden. My dad of ten years, ten great years, is dead. I don’t know how to take it.

Konohamaru cries, Sasuke’s silent and just looks down but will talk sometimes if you ask him something. But never make eye contact.

Naruto will hang around mom to make her feel better and hug Hinata a lot. Just stay there and try and calm himself without crying.

I’m silent. I won’t even yell at Sai for being stupid.

I hear the screen open but I don’t care. I just stare at the moist floor from the horrible storm last night. Now I know I will always hate the rain.

I look to my left to see Sai.

Why is he always around me?

“Hi…” he says half smiling.

“Hm…” I say looking back to my flowers.

“I…know how you feel…” he starts but already I can’t take the words.

“Don’t…I don’t need pity or connection Sai. This is the third person I saw die.” I said tiredly.

“You aren’t the only one…I saw both my parents die.” He says sorrowfully.

“I know…you were older than me than when I say mine die but it doesn’t mean I don’t remember it….It was raining…I was four and playing with the blocks in the living room. I just got them for my birthday and I took to them so fast…” I smiled. Not a happy smile. But a sad one that Sai caught it.” Any way…my dad was in the kitchen with my mom when we heard a bang at the door. It was a violent bang that made my dad get out of his chair…he didn’t trust it. I waddled over to the door and I could hear my mom panic. Immediately my dad walked over to me at a fast pace as the bangs got louder. When I reached the door it flew open and my dad pulled me back just to get hit in the face with a metal bar of some sort…”

I pause to breath. I haven’t talked about this in a while. Sai fidgets a little feeling uncomfortable with what I’m telling him...Good I think he should feel like me…

“He fell on the ground and my mom screamed attempting to get me only to get her wrist pulled back and pushed next to my motionless dad. I cried and ran back to the kitchen…I thought it was my safe place. I could hear my mom cry and scream as the man came in the room looking for me…But I stayed silent….” I feel a tear fall down my cheek just to get wiped away by Sai’s quivering hand.

“Don’t…continue…”

I hear the pleading in his voice.

Turning my head I smile at him.

“You and I…aren’t so different huh?” I say bitterly.

“I guess…But mine was way worse.” He says smiling again.

“I only heard the small stuff but you were in your parents house? And then you heard a leaking sound coming from your parents room so you went to look. But when you opened the door you saw your parents…half dead already because of a gas leak. Their faces were bleeding…from their eyes and stuff…You dropped to the floor not able to move your legs…then the room exploded from the heater behind the wall. I heard it was called a sea of blood. You broke a few bones…but you saw your parents…bodies…mangled…” I say trying to choose my words to describe it without bringing back too much images.

“….Yep…that describes it basically…” he said getting up from the porch.

I don’t even watch his back retreating.

“Sorry…” I mutter.

It’s been a week since that incident with my dad and we seem to be starting to recover. Not forget, but recover.

Gaara came over three days after the incident and was shocked, although he didn’t really show it. He patted Naruto on the back and said he could make it through…Gaara’s gone through way worse so Naruto thinks if Gaara can tough it out, then so can he.

He didn’t really receive much comfort from Gaara but didn’t expect much. Gaara can’t show affection so it was hard just to do that.

Sai and Hinata spent a lot of time with me. They spent the night a lot too just to make sure we were ok. Sasuke and Naruto would comfort mom and Konohamaru just calmed himself by taking breathers and all that 1 2 3 and visualize stuff. I’d say he is taking it the best than all of us. He didn’t really know Dad that long, maybe a year or two so he didn’t know him like we did.

I actually liked the comfort from Sai. He knew how I felt and wanted to give me reassurance because when the house caught fire on him and his family when he was nine, he didn’t have anyone to help him.

Once I remember I was crying in the middle of the night in the living room and Sai was out getting some water and heard. He came in and tried to make me smile by telling jokes and tickling me…So it worked. So what. I woke up the next morning in his lap. Turns out we fell asleep on the couch. Most. Awkward. Moment. Ever.

So now I think he isn’t as bad. I still don’t like him that much, but I know he can be decent sometimes.

Now spring break is over and we have to go back to school…Doesn’t that suck? You spend your whole vacation moping over your dad’s death and have to go back to school to have everyone say ‘I’m so sorry’ or ‘I wish I could have done something’ when you know it’s just pity or a lie.

Gaara, Naruto, Sasuke and me, along with the Kinomi’s are on our way to school on the small dirt road.

No one’s talking.

“So, do you think Mrs. Nara will stuff us with work now?” I ask trying to get someone to talk.

Sasuke shrugs. Naruto looks away and scratches his head. Gaara’s just looking ahead like he always does with nothing to say. Hinata has her head down and twiddling her thumbs. Sai looks at me and after a while, blushes a little and looks away.

“What was that?” Sasuke asks for me because I’m too shocked to ask myself. That wasn’t a blush moment. He probably thought he failed his test before.

“Nothing…just thinking about something…” he says laughing nervously.

“Stop acting weird. It’s not you.” I say. He nods and smiles his same manner.

“So you think you failed?” he asks forgetting about the note incident. Sasuke’s eyes widen in remembrance and he tackles Sai.

“What the hell!” he says and pushes Sasuke away from him.

“You gave me that note didn’t you?” says Sasuke calmly now getting that rare burst of energy out of his system.

“No.”

“Liar.” I echo in.

“I’s true! Swear on my mama’s grave.” He says and marks across with his finger on his heart like a cross.

I look down at him cautiously.

“Then who did Sai?”

“Don’t know.”

“Liar.”

“I swear!” he says getting up a face length away from me.

I jump back and look at him sternly.

“You know I can’t trust you so if you do it again it’s gonna be you who joins your mama.” I say sternly and keep walking leaving him to stare at my back.

--

I go through the whole morning hearing the I’m sorry’s and all but I get through it fine. Naruto was pulling a prank on the owner of the four building school, Tsunade. He put a tack on her chair and everything. All the old jokes in the book. Too bad he isn’t stealthy ‘cause he got caught and was going to pay by her iron fist.

He looked like he was scared to death so I said I would do detention for him. So now here I am in the small building out side the lunch yard with the obvious suspects for anything dealing with jokes.

Kiba for starting a foot fight over on the field with Shikamaru. Sai for being his Sai self. He actually got caught cheating on a test. And Temari for hitting Ino in the face for calling her manly.

Doesn’t this take a toll for my niceness?

We are there for two hours and then set free. I’m going to scare my mom half to death for being late but if it makes Naruto happy I guess.

When I grab my book bag I hear someone scamper after me. Turning around I see Sai smiling at me.

“Escort?” I ask bordely.

“Escort.” He says.

I sigh and we make our way down the dirt road. By the sides of the road are grass plains with ditches and trees that fall down to the river. I always wondered what it would be like to fall in one.

“You’re too nice.” I hear Sai say.” You got Naruto out of detention. Why don’t you ever do that for me?”

“Because if I did then I’d be there everyday. Plus I don’t like you remember?” I say smiling at him.

“Don’t be like that. You like me some.” He says a little down. Some of the enthusiasm gone from his voice.

“What makes you think that?”

“You ain’t so mean to me any more.” He says patting my back making me move more over to the grass tree area.

“So. You caught me at a vulnerable time.” I said.

He looks a little sad but then his eyes get big.

“Sakura!” he says moving toward me. Before I know it, we’re both tumbling down the ditch getting covered in mud and Sai shielding me from hitting any rocks. Why?

We reach the bottom and I rub my wet, muddy head in pain. Squinting my eyes I look over to see Sai four feet away from me on his stomach not moving. My heart beats quick in shock and fear.

I scamper over to him.

“Sai! What the hell!” I say feeling my eyes glaze over with a thin sheet of water in fear of his life. We fell a good thirty feet hitting rocks, trees, and sliding on mud and sticks. Sai hitting all of them. A few times his back would come in contact with a tree making him groan in pain and have it push him to a different location…

“Move!” I say rolling him over to see his face with a big cut on his cheek and his breathing shallow.

“You have got to be kidding me….” I groan in horror.

“Help!” I yell but inside I know no one is going to come.

“Oh man…” I say my voice shaky putting my face in my hands.

“God what do I do?” I ask out of the blue hoping something or someone will help me. NO one does.

I lean over him and do the only thing I think of. I give him CPR.

Pressing on his chest I pray this works.

“Please…I can’t have you die for what was supposed to be me. I don’t know why you act the way you do…” I say before breathing into him again.

After doing it a couple dozen times he doesn’t seem to be moving.

“Crap…God damn it Sai…” I say rolling my back against the tree and curling up. Waiting three minutes I look over at his dirty tattered body and crawl over to him again.

Pressing on his chest one last time, I place my mouth on his hoping he would wake up.

I placed my mouth on his and felt him groan, so I quickly blew in hoping to keep him conscious. I pressed his chest again and put my mouth on his. He groaned again but it didn’t sound painful. My mind is going a thought a minute when I feel his tongue in my mouth.

I gasp and try to pull my head away but his hand is on the back so it keeps me there.

He is now sucking on my lip, exploring my mouth. I keep thinking this is a dream because I can’t move from the shock.

He groans again and caresses my scalp. I feel his hand quivering and it drops and his head falls back. My mind snaps back on and I look at him rolling over and emitting a painful noise.

“Sai! Are you conscious!” I ask him leaning his back against a tree.

He opens his eyes and looks at me and smiles.

“Hey, butter toes…just a few cuts and bruises is all. No need to worry, they won’t keep me down.” He says and coughs a few times. A few drops of blood comes out.

“Your bleeding.” I saw sitting with my legs under me.

“Just from impact of those damn trees…” he says wiping his mouth.

He looks over at me and smiles bigger.

“Thanks.” He says but I act like I have no idea what he’s talking about.

“Man, we’re muddy and late…mom’s gonna kill me…” I mumble sticking my face in my hands

After that whole falling down accident I decided not to waste time but help Sai up the hill and get him to my house as soon as possible.

Hooking his arm around my shoulder I helped support him while he walked up the hill with me. He didn’t want to seem weak so he didn’t put too much weight on me.

“I think it will take twenty minutes to get home.” I say warning him making him aware of how long he has to be on his feet. Sai’s ankle is twisted, he’s bruised, a gash on his cheek and obviously something wrong with his insides from coughing up blood after smacking into all those trees.

Our clothes are dirty and our hair is tussled and if someone would be walking by us then I’d say they’d swear we were mugged or hobo children.

Taking another step I think back to when I slipped.

“Sai…Why did you save me?” I ask helping him climb up another step on the hill.

He avoids eye contact and smiles again.

“Can’t let a girl get hurt like that can I?”

I snort.” Be serious…” my mind flooding back to the incident that caused me to save him.

“I guess…it’s ‘cause you’re Sasuke’s sister and my sister's friend…and my friend…” he says.

“But—“

“Would you do it for Naruto or Konohamaru?” he asks me looking me straight in the eyes making me catch my breath from the intensity of the look in his eyes. I didn’t know Sai was capable of looking so serious.

“I guess…” I mumble looking away.

“and…maybe I like you…”

My head immediately snaps back. I look at him with a disbelieving look…then start laughing.

“You’re kidding right? This is just one of your jokes right?”

He looks seriously at me.

“I’m not joking Sakura.” He says making my heart stop…

“W-what do you mean you’re not joking? Heheheh…You always joke.” I tell him getting close to the top of the hill.

He looks down and smiles differently like he had something else to say. It’s weird though, I don’t want him to say it. Your brother’s best friend says he likes you and he’s the class clown…I don’t think I need that…

We reach the top of the hill and he looks across the field. The sky is kinda grey like it’s going to rain.

“Aw…shit.” I mumbled starting to walk but Sai doesn’t move. I turn to look at him and see him looking at the sky.

“Come on. We need to get you looked at by mom.” I tell him making him look at me. Is it me or is our faces too close?

“Why?” he has the nerve to ask me.

“Why? Why! Look at your self!” I tell him as he lets go of me and winces.

I sigh.” Sai, you got hurt for what should have happened to me. I don’t care how annoying you can be but it doesn’t mean I want you doing that. You coughed up some blood so I think you need some sort of medical attention. The hospital is a while away so my house would be best. Now suck up you pride and stupid questions and lets go.”

“I wasn’t being prideful.” Sai says.

“Then what are you doing?” I ask him seeing he’s starting to walk without support.

“I’m walking. You told me too so why don’t you.” He says in a sort of ticked off voice.

“Why are you so ticked off? I didn’t do anything to you. Now let me help you!” I say reaching for his arm but he pulls it away.

“What’s your problem anyway! I’m trying to help you!” I tell him making him turn around and grab my arm in a firm grip.

“Take me seriously for once.” He says looking like a totally different person. Please don’t be talking about…

Suddenly it gets dark and we see a crack of lightning. Looking up, I get a rain drop falling on my nose.

“Rain.” Is all I say but it must have been the right thing since it swept that serious look off Sai’s face and replaced it with a smile.

“Home? Now before we get so wet?” I ask and he nods.

--

“OH MY GOD! WHERE WERE YOU!” I hear seeing my mother with tears in her eyes burst through the screen seeing me and Sai muddy and tattered.

Sasuke and Naruto were behind her with Konohamaru looking through the window.

“I fell mom…” I mumbled seeing her crying and drag us in the house by the warm fire.

“Oh my god! Sakura! You’re so muddy!” Naruto says lifting my arm and dropping it. My mom slaps him over the head.

“Don’t do that!”

“Mom…Sai’s bleeding. You see, I accidentally slipped and Sai blocked me but he hit some trees really hard—“

“You mean that like forty foot ditch by the path we take to school?” asks Sasuke handing us some towels.

I nod making his eyes narrow.

“Sai-kun…You did that? Well then you stay here for the night and I won’t take no for an answer. Get over here.” Says my mom.

“That’s ok I—“ but Sai stopped seeing my mom glare at him.” Yes ma’am.”

After getting his ankle in a brace and our bruises bandaged we sat down. I avoided eye contact but it was easier than I thought since Sai was acting like his old self telling jokes and laughing.

It was ten o’ clock when I was finishing my home work in the dim light on the living room couch. I gave Sai my room for the night since the boys don’t got no more beds in there so I’m on the couch.

Sighing I placed my book down and listened to the pitter patter of the rain on the window. Hearing a bang I jerked my head around to see Sai making his way into the kitchen trying to be quiet.

I got up and went to help him. I almost giggled when I touched his shoulder and he jumped.

“Thirsty?” I asked him and he nodded blankly.

I walked in the kitchen and returned with a glass of water. He was sitting on the end of my bed or couch.

“Here.” I say and sit on my pillow crossing my legs.

Feeling a gaze upon my face I turn my head and saw Sai just staring at me.

“Stop acting weird” I tell him.

“What do you want me to act like?” he asks me.

“It’s your decision. Choose what you want but that one.”

“Sorry. This is how I’ve always been.”

“No. You’re always happy and getting Sasuke into trouble and walking to school with us forgetting there was a test or not doing your homework. Now you stare at ME more and aren’t as annoying.”

“So…you want me to be more annoying?”

“No!...I don’t like that either. Just stop acting so weird around me.”

“I can’t.” he says looking at the dying flame in the fire place.

“Why?”

“I already told you.”

“You were joking.”

“I was not.”

“Was so!”

We both look each other straight in the eyes. He looks serious which makes me nervous. No one ever said they liked me before and I never would have guessed Sai of all people! He is like…not a brother…but some sort of family to me. Not a….lover…

“What do you want from me?” I ask him. I could feel my hands sweating.

“I don’t know…” he says shifting his feet.

“Well it’s kinda weird. Sasuke will think something of your behavior too and I don’t take you seriously and all.”

“Why?”

I shrug.” I don’t know. I guess it’s ‘cause you’re always acting like a little kid trying to get some laughs in.”

“Not all the time.” His face getting closer like he was going to tell me a secret.

“Don’t kid yourself. You may act funny and all but it’s not like you’re a pervert or nothing. You can’t even get the courage or intention span to do anything.”

I was stopped by a pair or warm lips barely brushing my own……Oo No. Way.

I push him back but we only loose our balance and we fall on the ground with him on top. I don’t want to hurt him ‘cause he’s the one that saved me and also he has a busted ankle so I don’t push him off violently for mercy’s sake.

I feel his warm breath on my cheek and him staring at me.

“You say I don’t have guts for nothin’?” he asks me.

“Well…not for important things.”

Suddenly the look changes in his eyes to something more playful and high spirited.

“Then I’ll show you. I’ll show you how much I like you and make you fall in love with me.”

I snort.” Ya right will I fall in love with someone like you. What do you think would start you off on our ‘love train’?” I say sarcastically.

Bending forward he placed his lips on mine again making me gasp. Wiggling is useless ‘cause I’ll hurt him!

He kisses me with such ferocity that it knocks the wind out of me. But it doesn’t hurt like it would look it does.

He places his hands on my abdomen and groans lightly into the kiss feeling my wet tavern with his tongue. The patterns he’s making in my mouth makes me moan unintentionally.

He pulls away and looks at me smiling.” If you don’t even put up a fight there then you’re going to loose this battle.”

Getting up slowly he grabs his water and wishes me a good night. I get back up on my bed and turn out the light.

“No way will I like someone like Sai….” I mumble before pulling up the blanket and falling asleep.