Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Little World ❯ Sparring ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Today must be the day of firsts. The first time Hinata washed his hair, first time he held her, the first time she rested on top of him, first time he kissed her.


And now it was the first time Neji hesitated at the gate of the training area to quiet whatever the hell it was that seemed intent on gnawing on his insides. He took a few breaths to calm himself and gripped the firm wood for support. What the hell is wrong with me?


He had made it to the main compound in half the time it usually took, his feet refusing to listen to his mind's commands to slow down. He wasn't just going to train today. Today he was going to see HER. And that made all the difference.


He shoved open the gate and strolled to the training area he used, consciously reminding himself do not run. You don't need to run. Don't seem too anxious. That's it, a steady stroll...or a brisk trot. There's nothing wrong with a more hurried pace right? It's normal. Okay, too fast, slow down. A single glance told him she wasn't there. It wasn't unusual. She didn't come until after dark... but somehow knowing this did nothing to relieve the pang in his chest. He slipped into a training gi and took his place in the middle of the training area. A voice sang out behind him.


"Branch house." Lesson one: The demeanor. Carry yourself with utmost pride at all times. Don't demand respect. Let your presence command it.


He smirked and turned and turned to face her. "What is it Hinata-hime?"


She let a smile tug at the corner of her mouth as well. "Fight me."


"Am I allowed to decline your gracious invitation?"


"Of course. I would not wish to impose on you. If you feel too intimidated to fight me perhaps I may re-extend my 'invitation' when you are more sure of your abilities."


Several Hyuugas gaped in open shock as their heir stepped out onto the training ground. Neji did not dare chuckle lest he destroy the moment. He nodded, face impassive. "In that case I believe I am unable to refuse your offer. Shall we?"


The young woman unbuttoned the heavy coat she always wore and let it slide to the floor. Weights stitched into the seams by her own hand clanged loudly as they collided with stone. An almost unnoticeable upward twitch of the eyebrow betrayed his puzzlement. She wore weights all this time? Damn...I might actually have to work at this...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Somewhere in the building a surprised Hiashi watched his daughter challenge the genius of the Byakugan. "Now what exactly is she up to?" He rose to end this...whatever this was.


"Remain Hiashi-san." An old woman waved a gnarled hand in his direction and he reluctantly sank to his seat.


"Venerable Elder, with all due respect, my daughter seems to have placed herself in a situation which may be..."


"Beneficial." The elder stood with an unnatural grace that belied her age. Unseeing eyes remained fixed on an indefinite point, yet she neither carried a cane nor did she walk into any obstacles. Her chakra was her sight. She sensed the confusion in the Head. "No branch house member has ever wielded such power before. I fear he may be...a threat. I would like to see how Hinata-san fares against him. I do not expect her to win... in fact I do not expect her to last very long in battle but I admire her challenge, whether it is driven bravery or ignorance. I would very much enjoy this fight. Grant an old lady this Hiashi-san."


"Yes Elder-dono." He bowed and turned to leave, but hesitated at the door. "Elder-dono, you said this fight might be beneficial. I do not understand..."


"If Hinata-san is to become head she will need to demonstrate an ability to control the power Neji wields. Hyuuga Neji is one to have as an ally, not an enemy. To maintain this name of Hyuuga she will need him on her side. If I read this encounter correctly then she may have already unknowingly uncovered the method to accomplish this."


"She has?" The elder chuckled heartily.


"Hiashi-san, I am over twice your age and am completely blind, yet I understand and you still fail to see the intricacies before you! It is ironic. It is simply because of the many years I have lived that I am able to comprehend the young. Simply put Hiashi-san, Neji will need to be...restricted... in the future, and I suspect that Hinata-san subconsciously understands that force is not necessary for control. If truth be told Byakugan and bloodlines cloud our vision to the point where we are blind to all else. Open your eyes Hiashi-san. Try to see without the fog of Byakugan for once."


Hiashi blinked several times. His eyebrows creased together. "Elder-dono, are you saying Neji has a crush on my daughter?"


The elder's shoulders sagged and she winced in exasperation. "Apparently poetry is something else that has been lost along the bloodlines. Yes Hiashi-san, if you must be so forthright. Neji has a crush on your daughter."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hinata danced out of the reach of his hands and twisted herself back into her previous position. Neji's eyes narrowed as he tried to determine exactly what she was up to. As of yet she had not activated her Byakugan and he could see only the barest flow of chakra to any of her openings. She had most likely trained with Hanabi earlier and was drained... but if that was the case, why challenge him?


She merely kept out of his reach, retreating every time he advanced. Neji got the distinct impression she was leading him into some sort of trap. He rushed in from the left, palm open, aiming for the opening shoulder. If she did plan to use Byakugan it was best to cut off the flow before she had a chance to activate it. She dodged, but was not nearly fast enough. Two fingers pressed down, emitting a burst of chakra and sealing her energy supply to her eyes. Too easy...what the hell?


He saw it coming, but was not quick enough to block it. He dodged instead and her leg went whizzing by his head. He turned his body slightly to avoid the second kick...only to find two fingers pressed against his own shoulder. He jumped back a few paces but the deed was done. He could feel the chakra drain as his bloodlimit receded.


"Sacrificing your Byakugan in order to negate mine. Clever."


She simply smiled. "I have changed my technique a bit since we last fought. I have a feeling you might be surprised." Her chakra points faded from his view. She disappeared and re-formed behind him. He barely had time to catch her hand before it landed. Then it hit him. No handsigns. She had did that without handsigns. Then it wasn't ninjutsu. It must be taijutsu, using pure speed to appear to be using a transport jutsu. He'd have to fight her the way he would fight Lee: no reservations.


She darted away, landing neatly before moving in again, forcing Neji into defensive.


Her blows rarely landed. He was not called a genius for nothing. But the ones that did land hurt...badly. She had taken to targeting his nerves and joints. Hoping to throw her off guard, he produced six kunai and let them fly at once. She hopped backwards, successfully avoiding five. The sixth embedded itself into her shoulder. Hinata's form vanished in a puff of smoke, replaced by a log. Handsigns almost too fast for his eyes to follow had completed the substitution no jutsu and transported her to safety. He didn't have time to wonder where she went before a hail of weapons descended on him. The split second it took his to realize the genjutsu was enough for her to aim her own weapon. He noticed the senbon aimed at him the second it pierced his knee. The speed and angle had made it look like nothing more than a dot, even to his 359 degree vision.

Pain shot through him. Perfect... he stumbled to the side, and she viewed this as an opening. The moment she was in range he launched himself at her.

"2 points...4 points...8 points..." The force of the blows pushed her backwards. He ignored the nagging of his knee and took advantage of her dazed state. "16 points...32 points...64 points!"


Hinata landed with a thud and bounced once before colliding with the far wall. Neji straightened up as best as he could and pulled the senbon out of his knee, wincing at the pain. "A very good match Hinata-dono." It was already dark. Their match had spanned several hours. "I wish you better luck next time."


"Next time?" Hinata pushed herself up and steadied herself on her feet. "This match is not finished."


"Hinata-dono?" Neji was more than a bit surprised. Okay, I think we're taking this a bit too far Hinata-chan... Hiashi stood watching, but made no move to end the fight. Neji braced himself for her attack, wondering if both father and daughter had gone completely insane. The plan was they would keep fighting until Hiashi intervened as he usually did. Since the Head seemed to have no plans to interfere, Neji decided to end the match. But what was Hinata doing?


Hinata saw the twitch of the eyebrow and smiled to herself. She raced forward, as if to attack him head on. Just before impact she leaned to the left, throwing off her trajectory. He adjusted his position to compensate and the side of his hand landed against her elbow joint. Her inner smile managed to spread to her face as his eyes widened. No! It's not possible!

"Byakugan." She whispered. His points of contact became visible, but she was not interested in any of them. Her eyes instead searched for the exact position of a certain junction. Her fingers pressed against the base of his neck and a surge of chakra flooded him.


He felt his body falling forward, and found himself unable to stop himself. In fact he found himself unable to move any part of his body. He closed his eyes in preparation for an impact that never came.

Soft hands caught him before he landed face-first on the floor. His eyes turned as far as possible so he was able to get a glance at her face. His neck refused to turn, as the rest of his body also refused to respond to him.

"Wha...what happened?"

Hinata smiled. "Apparently, I won."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A/n yes, I am quite tired of Hinata being portrayed as weak. How did she do it you ask? Tune in next time! muahahaha
cliffies, gotta love 'em.