Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Her Own Little World ❯ Rain ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/n: I'm going to finish up this story before I do any work on the rest. There are about two or three chapters left (four if I'm not lazy), so I hope to have them finished before I have to head off for college. Yay college.... Oh, and don't worry Katreda, I'm not killing the romance here. All of you who reviewed on the last chapter, I have to agree: the thought of Neji around kids is yummy (You didn't hear that from me!)


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


She was simply enchanting.


No other word could describe her.


Just enchanting.


The raindrops fell softly around her, beating a calming rhythm on the tiles. The midnight fog had not yet dissipated, and rolled around her feet, seemingly dancing with her. And that's exactly what she seemed to be doing - dancing.


Hinata swirled, sparring with an imaginary partner. Her body swayed effortlessly in the most basic moves of the ‘gentle fist’ technique. She didn’t seem to notice the rain that seemed to form an almost goddess-like halo around her. Neji didn’t want to distract her. No, he was quite content to watch her for as long as he could, hoping that this could last forever. Suddenly he remembered what he was doing.


“Hinata-chan, come inside before you catch a cold.”


She looked up and saw him, and a smile lit up her face. “Neji-kun!”


“… it’s four in the morning, what are you doing?”


She giggled. “Training… having fun…”


“In the rain?”


“Of course. Come see.”


“What?”


“Come on Neji-kun, dance with me!”


“…no…” Hinata laughed again at his expression. “…I don’t dance. It’s undignified.”


“No one’s going to see you; I put a seal on the wall so no one would spy. And you can see anyone who tries to sneak up. Besides, sometimes being undignified is much more fun.” She latched on to his arm and tried pulling him off the porch and out. “It’s just a little water, don’t be afraid.”


“I’m not afraid, and no, I’m not coming out there to prove it. I’m not falling for that.”


“Don’t be such a baby. Have a little fun sometimes!”


“You go ahead if you must. I’ll have quite enough fun over here… watching you.”


She blushed a deep red looked at her feet. “Neji-kun?” Her head shot back up with an impish grin on her face to rival even Hanabi’s. She snatched his hiate-ate and made a dash for the middle of the training ground. Laughing, she tried dodging him as he chased her, but he was faster. He caught her hand and snatched it back.


“What are you doing?”


“See? It didn’t kill you.” Suddenly, Neji realized he was standing out in the pouring rain. She grabbed his arm before he could get back onto the dry area. “Please Neji-kun? It doesn’t take much to make me happy.”


“No, it takes quite a bit actually.”


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


“Ah…achoo! ”


Neji glared at Hinata who immediately silenced her giggles.


“This is your fault… achoo.”


“I’m sorry Neji-kun.”


“Yes. Achoo. I’m sure you are.”


They had romped in the rain for over an hour. Hinata vainly tried to get Neji to dance, even taunting, goading and pleading didn’t work. Then she claimed to be teaching him, which didn’t work either, partly because Neji was uncooperative, and partly because Hinata distracted him. Finally they lay in a crumpled heap, tired from all the chasing and twirling. They stayed, content to watch the rain fall…


… until Neji broke the calm.


“ACHOO!”


“I didn’t know you were so…”


“Don’t say it.”


Hinata handed him a cup of tea. He had to wriggle for a minute to get his hand out of the blanket he was wrapped in. So ended their ‘fun’: Neji smothered in a blanket, sneezing and glaring at the very amused Hinata.


“I do that all the time and I don’t catch chills.”


“You’re not helping.”


Hinata lay a soft hand on Neji’s forehead for a moment. “You don’t have a fever.”


“I’m cold, not hot.”


"Here." She pulled another blanket off her bed and wrapped it around him. "Better?"


"...no."


"You're just being difficult Neji-kun."


"Hmph, sounds familiar." She sat close to him and leaned her head on his shoulder.


"Well I suppose it is a bit cold outside. I'm really sorry Neji-kun. Forgive me?"


He sighed. "Fine."


"You're still sulking. You're mad at me."


"I'm not mad at you."


"Yes you are." She moved in front of him, nose almost touching his. "I can tell."


"I'm not."


"Really?"


With fluid grace he leaned forward and trapped her mouth with his. Hinata's eyes widend as she sat, too stunned to do anything. His arms folded around her tiny waist and gently stroked her back. After a moment he pulled back and smirked at her. "Does that answer your question?"


She tried three times to form coherent words, but finally resorted to nodding. Somehow, he always managed to do this to her, leave her stunned and speechless. She could feel the blush creeping up her neck as he pulled her to lean against him. Her head rested on his chest, and she could make out his increasing heartbeat. Hinata shivered at the sudden heat of him surrounding her.


"N-n-neji-kun..."


"Yes?" He whispered, fingers tangling in her hair and gently massaging her scalp. She heard when his breathing sped up. Idly his fingers wandered. He seemed lost, not noticing her stiffen. Neji's hand trailed down, and one finger absently traced along the hem of her shorts, making Hinata's skin tingle wherever he touched. Without warning, one hand slipped around to touch her lower thigh.


"Neji-kun!" Jolted out of his reverie, Neji sat forward, concerned, when Hinata suddenly pulled away.


"What is it? Is something wrong?"


Hinata stared at the floor and poked her fingers together. "I-I...I'm s-sorry Neji-k-kun... I just..."


"Hinata. Why won't you trust me? You know I'd never do anything to you. I just wanted you close."


"I-I know... I-I'm...s-scared...I d-don't..." She sighed. "I'm not used to this.... I'm sorry..."


"It's alright. You have my word of honor, I will not do anything unseemly. It is my duty to protect you after all." He reached a hand towards her. "Come. It's warmer when you're here. I promise I'll behave." Slowly she nodded and sat back down.


"Neji-kun... I'm trying. I really want to be..."


"It's alright. I'll wait. I'll wait forever if you want."


"Thank you." He was careful not to get too close as he quietly rocked her to sleep. Gently he wrapped her in her blanket and lay her back down on the bed, before slipping out into the sunrise.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


"Neji-kun, are you in there?" Susuka tapped on the door. "Neji? Neji I have something I need to tell you."


Neji's door swung open and he froze, seeing the look on his mother's face.


"Neji please, for your own sake, you have to stop this now."