Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Incredulous ❯ A Mistake's Conclusion ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Naruto is owned and was created by a man called Kishimoto. I hereby disavow any need to profit, gain, or otherwise benefit from this piece of fan fiction other then for the sheer amusement of being bored.

Incredulous

Chapter One

“How did it happen?” The question was incredulous, the silver-haired Hokage demanded answers from the young blond standing before him. A wince from the young male was followed by a sharp eyed look at the paperwork sitting on the desk. “Well, do you care to explain why the Hi no Kuni Daimyo is demanding that you marry a ‘responsible’ and ‘well-respected’ woman?” Arms crossed over one Hatake Kakashi’s chest as Naruto swallowed.

“Eh…” he laughed nervously. “It was an accident?”

“Naruto,” The silver haired Hokage growled, “Nothing ever just ‘happens’ when it comes to you. Sure, I admit, it was probably worth the trip however you brought down an entire wall of the public baths while standing guard outside.”

“There was a pervert spying on the women inside, I didn’t think he should get away with it.” The blond muttered defensively.

“The man wasn’t spying, Naruto. He was a guard sent to help you watch over the daimyo’s new wife.” The Hokage known as Kakashi sighed. “You not only managed to single handedly impress the Daimyo’s wife, but now he finds himself in a bit of a situation. His new bride has developed an unwelcome attraction to you.” A furrowed brow met the surprised blue eyes of the young ninja.

“Really?”

“Yeah, and now his solution is one of two things. We cannot afford you losing your head. We’ll just have to marry you off.” The man uncrossed his arms and glared at the youth. “This isn’t a good thing, Naruto, nor will it be easy. Not many women in Konoha fit the description that was labeled out and anyone less then a Shinobi is asking to paint a target on them with your enemies. I’m going to be meeting with the counsel this afternoon to discuss this with them. What do you think I should say to them?”

The face that met his statement was nearly laughable as the young Chuunin grimaced at him. At one point, he seemed to almost consider an unvoiced option while in the next moment he seemed to give off an aura of defiance. “Damn.” he settled with, “I don’t have a choice, do I?”

“Nope.”

He growled softly, “Sensei, he doesn’t know what he’s asking for. You’ve already stated the reasons behind why I haven’t done so already.”
“Naruto, I don’t think you understand exactly what I am telling you. The Daimyo knows more about you and your parents then most of the people in this village. While we as Shinobi generally live separately from the civilian populations, you are more then aware of your mother’s background. Your father’s was nothing to sneeze at either. Daimyo-sama can damn well name you his successor if he felt like it.” The Hokage explained. “Or he can order the destruction of this village and everything in it.”

“I didn’t think the Daimyo could have that much power, especially over a Shinobi village like ours.” Naruto laughed. “I mean, aren’t we independent enough to survive…”

“He alone can sanction our business in the country of Hi no Kuni. There is nothing keeping him from approaching another group or clan of Nin to begin another village and turn us out. No one except for those with less then honorable intentions would come here. We would be considered Missing Nin in our own country.”

Falling silent, the blonde ninja crossed his arms, head bowing over his chest as he let his thoughts spiral around the possibilities of the Daimyo’s orders. “So, either I die or marry. The village can’t afford to give me up without similar effects to the Daimyo’s ultimatum destroying everything we worked for.”

“The village before a single Shinobi, no matter how valuable he is.” the Hokage replied grimly.

“It’s a Kage’s duty to protect his people, which is why you’re gonna make me do this anyway.” It wasn’t a question that Naruto answered him with. “Because of who my family is, who I am, and what I am.”

“You were sacrificed so this village could live on and continue to offer it‘s protection. Such is the way of the Shinobi. There are other options, but I’d rather you took this one. Maybe in a few years you can dissolve the marriage or find another path to pursue.” Kakashi explained. “You are still intent on the path of Kage, if I remember correctly.”

“Hai, I am. But, what about the girl I’m supposed to marry? I mean, how would she feel about it? I still…” His voice trailed off as he snapped his eyes closed against his emotions. Silence met his confession as the older member of the former Team 7 nodded glumly.

“Arrangements like this aren’t all that rare. I’ll speak with a few of the older Kunoichi and see who amongst them may be the best candidate for this arrangement. I’ve still got to address the counsels and half a dozen other things this afternoon as well. Naruto, I‘m going to ask you to give up on Sakura. She won‘t be an option in this dilemma.”

“She’s one of my best friends and the wife of the other.” The urge to give into his depression over that truth somehow found itself buried inside a tight grin he unleashed on his teacher.

“You have to let her go. It wouldn’t be fair to another woman or either of your teammates. Including you, Naruto. I know better then you what can happen with unrequited feelings like love. It can make you do things you wouldn’t consider normally.” The words were strained, though no less strong for the emotion behind them. “It will only serve to distance you from those you call friend, as it’s already doing.”

“I understand, Sensei.” Naruto murmured in response, head tilting down in acknowledgement of the advice. “There anything else I need to know or can I go now?”

A gesture of dismissal was all Kakashi afforded him. As fond as he had become of the younger warrior, he often led his former team captain in a circle of chaos. Releasing the pent up energy that came with his former student, the Copy Nin slipped another look at the scroll sitting before him. A command from the Daimyo was extremely rare. A command that interfered in the lives of his shadows supposedly never happened and if it wasn’t for Naruto’s unique heritage then it could have been argued.
Simply because Naruto was the son of a royal bloodline and his mother had taken ‘refuge’ in Hi no Kuni the daimyo had made his price known for Naruto’s continued existence in His nation. The boy’s alliance by marriage or his death. There was no give on the orders as an army of samurai and mercenaries could be gathered quite quickly.

Sure, he could probably arrange an assassination of the noble, however, that would hardly be conducive to Konohagakure’s continued business. A hand found itself run through the back of his hair as Kakashi reread the orders for the ninth time since they arrived. Truly, the man was a genius only comparable to himself to have constructed the orders in this manner.

Official Notice:
I would offer my greetings Rokudaime Hokage-san, however, this news find me in a most uncertain state of mind. While it would normally be acceptable for a young woman to develop feelings for a shin obi of our dear nation, this time I find myself estranged from those emotions. The loan of your prized warrior Uzumaki Naruto was indeed a generous favor. A favor I now regret asking of you as my young wife Ranno Tsuki has developed tender feelings in regards to the Namikaze legacy.

Upon further investigation into our records, it has come to our attention that young Uzumaki is descended from the royal line of Uzu no Kuni. This is most unfortunate as he lacks the disposal of a clan or country to protect him and has taken advantage of our goodwill for quite sometime despite his service and birth in our Country of Fire. Given his service record, I will allow for one of two options.

Uzumaki Naruto can marry a woman of good clan breeding to show his blood faith to us or we will order his head to be delivered post haste.
These are the most acceptable options I will lay before you, as exiling a shin obi of his caliber is unacceptable and further insight would only provoke more cost. Do not ignore this summons, Hokage-san. For the good of our continued alliance I would see this matter settled in a single month’s time.

With our sincerest regrets,

Hi no San-ki

“Well, this just beats all. A direct order for one of the clans to sacrifice a daughter. No doubt she’ll have to be one of the upper blooded brats.” Tossing the paper to the side, Kakashi leaned across the desk and scooped a list of names collected prior to Naruto’s own summons.

“Hyuuga has the girls Hinata and Hanabi. Inoichi has the girl Ino and Inuzuka’s never marry off. Any female less then one of the rookie nine talents would be a target to use against Naruto.” Looking over the paper again, he began to compare character traits of the girls to Naruto‘s own. Regardless of any previous commitment outside of a married couple or retired Nin, he held nearly full sway. It was a power few Kage before him had to implement. It was rather similar to the acquisition of new blood for the academy.

Hatake Kakashi was about to basically reassemble an old clan using nothing more then an order from a jealous man.

“Maybe I should just have him killed.” Kakashi growled as he finally reached the other traits. Anything other then perfect skill as a lady, a wife, and a shin obi would be unacceptable. “Ino would only be a disaster. Hanabi might have been a good choice if not for the fact she can’t abide anything other than traditional Hyuuga.” Tossing out what he termed the trash of the ‘diamond’ pile, he settled his attention wholly on Hyuuga Hinata.

The former clan heiress had been pushed out of her position by her younger sister. The only thing that had kept her from being sealed like her cousin was Kakashi’s own hand. He’d moved her directly from regular duty and straight into ANBU but mere moments prior to the Hyuuga political movement. While she was in direct service to him alone, there would be nothing they could do to her as long as she wore the mask he’d given her.

There was a new ‘Wolf’ of Konohagakure and she would save Naruto from himself. He looked up at his closed door as he considered just what impact this news would have. “Wolf, come in here for a second.” he called out shortly. “I want to speak with you. Have Rooster take a break.”
A tap on the door was his silent answer before the two ANBU split up with Wolf entering his office a moment later. “You wanted to speak with me, Hokage-sama?” The young woman managed as she stood stiffly before him.

“Indeed. Have a seat and take off the mask, Wolf. I need to speak with you on a more personal note then ANBU duties would allow.” Kakashi ordered shortly. Taking heed of his tone, Wolf quickly complied to reveal the pale eyes of a Hyuuga main house female. Hinata’s pale complexion was swiftly revealed as she set the metallic face in her lap and folded her hands over it.

“You know Naruto was in here over some business with the Daimyo.” he stated. “That business brought me back to you considering our erstwhile ruler’s orders. He’s ordered Naruto to marry or to be beheaded. Now, this would normally not even happen except for a few things. You know the counsel’s position when it comes to him. I’d rather not involve them until after everything was settled and that is where you will come in.”

“Hokage-sama, I don’t understand. What do you mean?” Hinata interrupted, her cheeks turning a bright red at her own audacity.

“Simple. I am ordering you to marry Uzumaki Naruto.” He answered with an unmercifully cold tone.

“Wha...” The word was cut sharply off by Kakashi as he shook his head.

“I cannot allow for any other, Hinata. Naruto is bound by the Daimyo’s commands as much as you’re bound by mine. If it wasn’t for the simple facts of his heritage, I wouldn’t be forced to such measures.” He resolutely tried to explain.

“Bu…” again she was cut off by the cold look in the man’s eye.

“He will be executed for a mistake otherwise, Hinata. His mother’s heritage has never been used against him until now and I am forced to rely on another of our greatest secrets to protect him. You are the only female ninja I know of that can even hope to bring some measure of happiness to his life. Otherwise, I’ll be forced to call upon a shin obi that won’t care for that so much as what’ll come with it.”

“But my father!” Hinata whispered fearfully. “He’ll never stand for this.”

“He’s being overruled in this matter. It’s not a shin obi clan problem but rather it rests on the shoulders of our civilian clans. Naruto’s bloodline is far greater then many people in our village can guess.”

A blank look had grown on the young woman’s face as she was faced with an impossible order. Perhaps it was because she had thought herself free of her father’s machinations only to find herself suddenly beleaguered by an entirely new arrangement. Her hands began to tremble as she found herself shaking her head in denial.

Her heart was already caught though.

“Hokage-sama, please, why would you pick me?” she asked, locking her eyes on his face and taking in his posture.

“For all the years any of us have known Naruto, you have been in the shadows supporting him. Finding him in his weakest moments to give him the strength to carry on when no one else could. You Hinata are the one person in this entire village to love Naruto without requiring something in return.” Kakashi replied, finally standing in the room. “You know what it can mean to Naruto to be supported in the toughest hours. He has sacrificed more for his village then any other and would continue to do so despite the cost to himself.”

Casting her pale eyes down at her hands, she tightened her slender fingers into a hard fist turning the delicate knuckles white. “Hokage-sama, I cannot agree nor condone such an action on anyone’s part. Naruto deserves better then to suddenly have his future arranged like this. He deserves a chance to marry someone he can love.”

“Your reluctance is noted, Hyuuga-san. Needless to say, this is a direct order from a superior officer.” Kakashi answered her softly, his manner much graver then from when they initially began their conversation. Hinata felt her back stiffen in the chair as she unconsciously nodded her head in compliance. To fail her father was one thing, to fail her Hokage was just another, however, she had long ago made herself the promise to do everything she could to help Naruto succeed in his dreams. To fail him would be unforgivable.

“I‘m setting the time for three days from now. I expect you both to be ready. I‘ll inform Naruto myself. You can go, Wolf.” He ordered as Hinata stumbled to her feet, replacing the mask that he had given her not so long ago. Giving him a low bow, the ANBU called Wolf leapt through the window and vanished into a Shunshin for a private destination. Setting up the Counsel memo he’d have delivered later that afternoon and a private notice to Hinata’s own father for his own personal amusement. Sometimes, he would admit, the pain that came with the job had its benefits… Especially when he was able to stick it to the clans for their past treatments for his Sensei’s legacy.