Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Just the Three of Us ❯ A Team ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Sorry for taking forever to update! I've been very busy lately. But here ya go! Enjoy! Oh, and did any of you guess it yet? -evil smirk-
 
Disclaimer: I own no one.
 
Chapter 4: A Team
 
Groans echoed through the halls, teachers sighing heavily. It was the day for team assignments, and most students didn't like the results. The girls glared at a certain pink haired preteen, the two boys sandwiching her glaring with extra venom. The other boys would roll their eyes, mumbling how it was obvious THEY would end up together.
 
Four years have passed, exams taking place. Everyone graduated, and was paired up with the most compatible teammates. And seeing how THEY were always together, able to read each others minds, and practically having a jonin leader already, it made things quite simple. Team 7 was made up of Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi.
 
The girls were envious, wishing a horrible death on the pink haired one. Boys would just scoff, wondering what the two saw in the strange girl. Sure, she was cute. But her forehead was big, and her hair was pink, not to mention she was scrawny. And with each insult, another bruise was made on the boys from her protectors. It didn't stop their curiosity, spying on them whenever they could.
 
After spying for three months after their graduation, they got nothing. It was fall now, which meant the trio would go home in a month or so, not returning until it was spring. They needed a plan, or maybe a miracle.
 
“Heeheehee! Sakura just loves going to these hot springs, huh Sasuke?”
 
“Sure. But it's dumb.”
 
“Huh? Why?”
 
“They're separated, remember? So we can't help her.” Naruto and Sasuke dipped into the spring, unaware they had company. “Hn. Those girls better not do anything to her.”
 
“You got that right.”
 
Seeing this as their chance, they scooted closer, making sure to remain hidden. An opportunity like this was once in a lifetime, and they were not going to screw it up.
 
“Hey, Sasuke.”
 
“Hn.”
 
“Remember when we all first met?” He nodded. “Heh, we didn't' trust each other at all, and Sakura was always sad. If it wasn't for Kakashi-sensei, who knows how we'd be right now.” Kiba raised a brow, they didn't get along?
 
“I guess. Heh. And it's easy to see Sakura's the favorite.”
 
“No way! I'm the favorite!” The hidden boys shook their heads.
 
“Idiot. You're too loud and annoying. Besides, Kakashi always treats her nicely while we protect her of our own free will.”
 
“Oh yeah, that's right.” The boys were starting to see how much an idiot Naruto truly was. “Heh, it's too bad you don't like sweets. Sakura's treats are awesome!” That was new, Sakura could cook.
 
“Hn.”
 
“Tomato lover.” That got everyone's attention, soon followed by Naruto's flailing, whom Sasuke was holding under the water. Eventually he let him go, Naruto sputtering water and gasping for air. “ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME!?”
 
“Hn. At least I don't breathe ramen.” This was useless. All they were doing were fighting, hearing nothing about Sakura.
 
“Hey! You two better not be fighting over there!”
 
“Unh! N-No Sakura! We're just playing around, right Sasuke!”
 
“Hn.”
 
“You better not be lying, or I'm not making dinner!”
 
“Sakura…” Nope. Nothing charming, just more yelling.
 
“Naruto.”
 
“Huh? What Sasuke?”
 
“It's my turn.”
 
“Huh?...NO WAY! WE ARE NOT HAVING CURRY! NO! NO WAY!”
 
 
-----------
 
 
On the other side of the wall Sakura giggled, shaking her head as Naruto complained about Sasuke's choice of dinner. With a contented sigh, she laid back against the stone, her mind free of thoughts.
 
“I hope there aren't very many people, it's hard to hear you talk sometimes.”
 
“I-I'm sorry.”
 
Hey! That's the way you are! Chin up!” Sakura's body became tense, having a mental break down.
 
“Oh no, what do I do? I always make sure to come here when the girls are busy or gone.” She ducked underwater, two pairs of feet seen entering. She couldn't see the faces, her eyes starting to burn. Soon she couldn't hold it, her lungs needing air. She bursted out of the water, breathing in precious oxygen. The two other girls stared at her with wide eyes, surprised she was hiding in the water.
 
“Wow…didn't even know you were here.” Sakura kept her guard up, prepping herself to run to the locker room.
 
“P-Please, join us. W-We're not like the others.” Sakura slowly nodded, making sure to keep her distance from the two. It was a couple of her classmates, Ino and Hinata. True, they never did anything to her. But now, she was all by herself with no one to save her.
 
“Ha ha! Don't worry, we don't bite. Truth is, I myself wanted to be friends for a while, and so did Hinata here. Oh, my name's Ino, in case you forgot.”
 
“Oh, you two. You like Sasuke, and you like Naruto.”
 
“Oh! H-How did you know?” Hinata's face was growing redder by the second, Sakura smiling and quietly laughing.
 
“I see you sneaking glances at him in class, it's pretty obvious.” Hinata was soon twiddling her fingers, Ino laughing along with Sakura.
 
 
----------
 
 
Naruto and Sasuke walked through the streets, villagers whispering as they passed by. Sakura wasn't with them. Instead, she asked to hang out with two other girls, so they could get to know each other better. It wasn't that she wanted some space, but friends of the same gender. There were a limited number of things girls could do with boys, and vice versa. Now she had the chance to do things she never got to do when she stilled lived in her old hometown. Not wanting to upset her, they eventually gave in.
 
“This sucks. Right Sasuke?”
 
“Hn.”
 
“I mean, we always protect her and make sure no one hurts her.”
 
“Hn.”
 
“And now these two girls steal her away from us!”
 
“Hn.”
 
“Is that all you can say!?”
 
“You do realize a group of boys have been spying and following us ever since we were at the hot springs, don't you.” He was quiet. “Come out, I don't have time for this.” Reluctantly, the group of boys came out of hiding. A few were from their class, Kiba, Chouji, and Shikamaru.
 
“Man, this sucks. How'd you know we were there?”
 
“Some of you need to learn to conceal your chakra.”
 
“Man, I knew this would be troublesome.”
 
“But Shikamaru, we still didn't find out.” That caught Naruto's interest.
 
“Find out what? Where we buy our clothes?”
 
“Idiot. They don't care about our clothes.”
 
“So, what do you guys want?”
 
“That girl, Sakura. What's so special about her that you guys are practically attached to her?” Kiba received two glares.
 
“Don't insult Sakura.”
 
“Ever.”
 
 
------------
 
 
The market place was busy, mothers and daughters bustling with energy as they picked their food for dinner. Every now and than there would be a bachelor, used to shopping for himself. Within the crowd were Kakashi and Sakura, getting a week's worth of food. While shopping, Ino had surprised Sakura from behind with a hug, another time she saw Hinata who waved over to her. Kakashi noticed how she would react, satisfied as she was starting to come out of her cocoon.
 
“So Sakura, were those the two girls you've been playing with the past month?” She smiled while nodding her head, inspecting tomatoes. “That's good to know. Besides, there will come times when out team has to work with others. But, that won't be until there's a dangerous situation or when you' a chunin and higher.”
 
“Chunin? Is that like a higher level?”
 
“Yes. Basically, there are candidates to be ninja, and those who are selected become genin. Then there's chunin, jonin, and the chosen.”
 
“Chosen?” He patted her head, smiling behind his mask.
 
“I'll tell you another time. But right now, let's focus on finishing our task.” They continued walking stand to stand, Sakura marking off the items on her list. Soon they were done, Kakashi carrying three bags while Sakura had one. They were in front of a door, yelling inside. With a gulp, Sakura slowly turned the knob.
 
“Now! Let's do 500 pull ups! And if you aren't able to complete that, 600 one arm push ups!” The apartment was in utter chaos, Guy having Naruto and Sasuke work until they drop. Joining them was Rock Lee, who was one of Guy's students. Shaking their heads, Kakashi and Sakura ignored the madness as they made their way to the kitchen. Luckily, they were unnoticed.
 
“445! 446! 447!”
 
“Man…where does he get all that energy…”
 
“That! Is the power of youth!”
 
“Hn…” They wouldn't show it, but Naruto and Sasuke were dead tired. And Lee had already finished the pull ups, starting to get ready for the one armed push ups.
 
“Naruto, Sasuke, is it all right if I may ask a question?”
 
“What…ever…” Naruto pulled himself up, having 5 more to go.
 
“How do you two see Sakura?” They looked at him strangely, baffled by his question.
 
“What do you…mean by…that?”
 
“Well, you always seem to be with her! But lately, she hasn't and you two have become very unyouthful!” Naruto and Sasuke looked at each other, having not noticed the change. Releasing the beams, they landed beside Lee.
 
“We don't know. She's our friend, how can we see her as anything else beside that?”
 
“Then why would you two kick Neji down those years ago?”
 
“Uhm…”
 
“Maybe we see her as a sister. That sounds reasonable.” Lee beamed at him, doing his famous pose.
 
“Then is it all right if I ask her to be my girlfriend?” Lee cowered in fear as they towered over him, claiming he saw lightening bolts behind them.
 
“No.” They spoke simultaneously. “You won't lay a finger on Sakura. You will not eat with her. You will not be alone with her. Nor do you ask her anything of the sort related to relationships. Ever.” Lee sweated as he nervously laughed, his hands weakly waving in protest.
 
“I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked.”
 
“Yeah. You shouldn't have.”
 
“Dinner's ready!” They immediately returned to normal, no longer talking at the same time, now racing to the dining room.
 
“Move Sasuke!”
 
“You first, idiot.”
 
Lee stretched as they argued, Guy approaching him.
 
“Good job Lee!”
 
“Thank you Guy-sensei!” They did their pose, Naruto and Sasuke unfortunately the witnesses, now arguing ever more until they fell through the doorway. “Sensei! May I ask a question!”
 
“What is it Lee?”
 
“Naruto and Sasuke.” He looked back, whispering into his ear. “Do they like Sakura?” Guy laughed, the four people in the dining room sighing.
 
“Of course they do! They treat her like a sister!”
 
“No! Not like that! I mean.” He leaned in again. “I think they LIKE like her.” Guy's face turned red, overloading with energy.
 
“The power of youth has finally awakened within them! Poor Lee, now you have rivals to compete for her love!” Streams of tears ran down their faces.
 
“I won't give up!”
 
“That's it Lee! Stay focused and you'll obtain the object of you affections!” Sakura's head poked out.
 
“If you're done…Lee's mother called for him to get home, and it's dinner time.” Lee ran over to her, taking her hands within his.
 
“Don't worry Sakura! Someday, I'll make everyday a youthful one filled with smiles and laughter!”
 
“Unh…okay?” Lee cried in joy, a fist raised for success. However, Naruto and Sasuke peeked over, jaws dropping in anger. Once again, they acted and spoke simultaneously.
 
“WE TOLD YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM SAKURA!”
 
“I'm sooooorrrrryyyyy!!!!!” Lee was officially kicked out, by that he was kicked out literally by Naruto and Sasuke. Sakura just stood there, confused by the boys' behavior. Shrugging her shoulders, she returned to the dining room.
 
“C'mon! Let's eat guys!”
 
 
------------
 
 
At the gate of the village, Sakura waved good bye to her new friends, promising to write letters every few days. Kakashi smiled at her while Naruto and Sasuke pouted, grumbling and mumbling. Done saying her farewells, she skipped to her protectors, a bright smile on her face. The two couldn't help but smile back. Ready to go, they walked away, heading straight to the place that they called home.
 
Halfway there, Naruto and Sasuke nodded to each other, stepping in front of Sakura.
 
“Huh? What is it?”
 
“Sakura.” Naruto leaned in too close. “Why'd you ignore me and Sasuke?” Pushing him gently for space, she laughed.
 
“I wasn't ignoring you guys. It's just that I wanted to spend some time with girls for a while. Not that I have anything against you two!” She stuck her tongue out, giggling while she caught up to Kakashi, leaving Naruto and Sasuke to themselves. They watched her skip as she hummed; a strange look in their eyes. They drooped their heads, eyes still glued to her back.
 
“But Sakura…”
 
“You were supposed to…”
 
“Be ours alone.” Once again, they spoke simultaneously. They recalled their talk, the night Lee had asked to date Sakura. It made them think, a lot. It made them wonder what they truly thought of her, but they did conclude one thing.
 
Sakura belonged to them and no one else. They would never allow anyone else to steal her from them. For now, they would stay with Kakashi. But one they were able to take care of themselves, all three of them would go off somewhere, together.
 
 
---------
 
 
A/N: So, you like it? Better have, my back's hurting again. Argh…I need to find a way to avoid such pain. Well, I'll be typing Silence chapter 4 next!