Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Key Through the Heart ❯ Chuunin Exam Prelims, Part 1 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

llIVoice of Destiny/Inner Sakura
“Normal Talking”
Thoughts/Sound Effects
“Flashback dialogue/Japanese/Emphasis of words”
“Demon speak”
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Key Through the Heart
A fanfiction by Andrew J. Talon
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, or any of the characters or properties mentioned in this story. The story's mine, the concept is mine, but everything else is not mine. And I'm certainly not writing this for profit.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Ayame sighed, wiping her brow free of sweat as she finished setting down some boxes of ingredients in the storage room of the ramen stand. She smiled and walked out to the front, where her eyes met a familiar sight.
“Iruka! It's nice to see you!”
The chuunin gave her a slightly strained smile in return, and looked down at the table. Ayame noticed his frown.
“Something wrong?”
Iruka sighed, and shook his head.
“Not exactly… My usual please?”
Ayame nodded, and set to work on the chuunin's usual ramen bowl. A few minutes of her frying noodles, and he spoke again.
“Where's your father?”
“Out, apparently to meet some old friend of his who happens to be a doctor,” the ramen girl spoke, shaking her head. “Honestly, Father can be so overprotective at times!”
“Oh yeah, um, I heard about… You know,” Iruka got out awkwardly. He smiled a bit. “Glad to see you feeling better.”
“Trust me, it's even better for me,” Ayame replied with a grin. She finished adding the meat and hard boiled eggs to the miso ramen, and set it before him. Iruka breathed in the scent of the bowl with a broad smile.
“Mmm… Just how I like it! Ikadaimasu!” Iruka cried, before digging in. In between his slurps, Ayame noticed Iruka's worried brow.
“You know, you're going to end up with wrinkles if you keep worrying like that,” Ayame pointed out. Iruka paused in his eating and shrugged, a self-deprecating smile on his face.
“Yeah, well… Lot to worry about.”
“Oh?” Ayame asked. Iruka sighed.
“Naruto's made it to the third stage of the chuunin exams, but, well…”
Ayame smiled comfortingly.
“I'm sure he'll be fine… Don't worry.”
Iruka shrugged.
“Sorry… It's just what I'm used to. I mean, first the Academy, then Mizuki, all the… Missions he's been on…” Iruka shook his head and sighed. He chuckled.
“I imagine the next hurdle after this will be women, and dating.”
“Oh? What about Sakura?” Ayame asked, her eyes a bit narrowed at the thought of the Haruno girl. Iruka smiled.
“I think he's actually rethinking his `eternal crush' on her. He definitely treats her more like a sister now, which will hopefully encourage her to get more serious about being a ninja.”
Ayame nodded and grinned.
“So, looks like he's maturing a bit more?”
Iruka nodded.
“Definitely.”
Ayame tucked her fist under her chin, leaning forward with a thoughtful expression on her face. Iruka paused his eating, again, to look at her.
“What?”
She smiled.
“Well, then it looks like I may have a chance after all!” Ayame hummed with a wink at him. Iruka spat out his broth in shock
What?!” The chuunin gasped. Ayame maintained her thoughtful, cool demeanor.
“Sure, there's the age difference, but he has started becoming very cute lately… I might have to stake my claim soon, before some other girl gets their claws in him!” She surmised with a slight blush on her cheeks.
Iruka sputtered incoherently as she sealed her victory with a wink.
“Ay-Ay-AYAME!”
The ramen girl just laughed, and gave him a free bowl of miso ramen in apology. Though she passed it off as a joke, she couldn't help but wonder a little at where her playful thoughts had come from, and why…
- - - - - - - -
Donald Duck walked one of the long corridors of Disney Castle, webbed feet lightly smacking against the rug-covered, marble floors. He smiled happily as he came to the huge double doors to the throne room.
Exactly why did they make the doors so big anyway? The duck wondered, opening the smaller entrance in the doors. He entered the vast throne room, eyes on the pristine white throne itself.
“Your Majesty!” Donald called out. No response. Donald frowned, even more as he saw the throne was empty.
Eh? That's odd… He should be here around now, Donald thought. He closed his eyes and expanded his magical senses, an exercise he'd practiced ever since he'd first begun to learn his art.
… He's not here… I can't even sense him in the castle…?
Truth be told, the magical interference from the castle and Cornerstone of Light beneath it made locking onto specific signatures a little tricky, but the duck mage had always been able to pick out his king amid the static.
“Ruff! Ruff!”
Donald opened his eyes, startled. The king's yellow dog, Pluto, had crept out from behind the throne, a sealed envelope in his mouth. Donald took it from the dog as Pluto settled back on his haunches. The duck opened the envelope and looked through the letter. His eyes widened.
“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”
The duck mage rushed out, running as fast as he could. His keen eyes scanned frantically everywhere as he ran, until finally he found himself in the garden. The armored, sleeping form of Goofy, the Captain of the Disney Knights, was locked onto.
“Goofy! Get up! We've got problems!”
Snore, was his only response. Donald seethed and pointed his finger into the air.
CRACKA-BOOM!
“YEEAAHOOWWW!” Goofy shouted, twitching from the lightening strike. He looked at the mage and chuckled sheepishly.
“Uh, somethin' I can help you with, Donald?”
“Goofy, we have a serious problem! The king…!” Donald lowered his voice. “The king is missing.”
“What? The king is-mmph!” Donald put a hand over Goofy's snout and made a shushing sound.
Quiet! We can't let anyone know about this, all right?”
“Uh, what about Queen Minnie? And Daisy?” Goofy asked quietly, after Donald let him go. The duck magician shook his head violently.
“No, we can't let even them know about this!”
“Know about what?”
Donald gulped, and turned around. Queen Minnie stood there, arms crossed across her chest as she eyed Donald with a deceptively friendly smile. Daisy, Minnie's lady in waiting, gave her boyfriend the evil eye. The duck laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head, as Goofy cleared his throat.
“Uh, well, ahhh…” Donald began nervously, as Daisy tapped her foot impatiently.
Goofy, fortunately, was there with him. He'd help cover for him, right?
“Uh, nothin', your majesty. Definitely nothin' about the king bein' missin', if that's what you're thinkin',” the knight dutifully reported, saluting.
Donald groaned and slapped his forehead. Brilliant, just brilliant…
“He's WHAT?!” Minnie shouted, scowling. “JIRAIYAAAAA!”
- - - - - - - - - -
On a distant world, said toad sannin sneezed. He rubbed his nose and resumed his research of the local hotspring.
On the same world, in the same village, within the tower at the center of Training Area 44, the genin had been assembled in the main arena chamber, before a slightly raised stone platform. On this, between a few ANBU stood the Sandaime, hands behind his back. He was making a speech about the purpose and importance of the Chuunin exams, but Naruto was unable to pay much attention.
“… And so, in place of war, the Chuunin Exams serve to…”
Blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, c'mon Old Man! Naruto mentally grumbled. He looked around at the other assembled genin in the huge chamber. Behind the stage the Hokage was standing on, a large stone statue of two hands in the ram seal loomed. Above were catwalks on either side overlooking the entire tiled floor.
“… The strength of our villages is reflected in the strength of our youth…”
Gahhh… So… Bored… Naruto thought, eyes and attention still wandering. He looked up at the catwalks again and spotted Kakashi, who gave him an apologetic look. The jounin had been unable to find a way to fix Naruto's seal, but had been assured by the Hokage that an expert would soon be available to take care of it. So far though, Naruto hadn't really felt all that different, but considering what that freak had done to Sasuke…
Speaking of which, Naruto thought, turning his eyes to the Uchiha. He was looking a little less pale than usual, which was good. But he still carried his broken sword on his back, and had definitely been more surly lately.
Then again, Sakura had been hovering over him twenty-four seven, so he supposed the bastard would be in a bad mood.
Great, bastard has the entire village kissing his ass and he doesn't give a damn. What the hell?
“… So, remember you are fighting for the honor of your villages!”
A sickly-looking jounin walked out in front of the gathered genin. He coughed.
“Okay, I'm Hayate Gekko. I'll be the test proctor. Now, as we've got too many genin who passed this year, we'll need to hold some preliminary matches before the real third test. If anyone wants to quit, you may do so now.”
Near the back of the group, Kabuto made to raise his hand. But a flash of familiar killing intent made him freeze. He traced it to the only Sound village jounin in the place, smirking at him. The jounin narrowed his eyes meaningfully, and Kabuto, though confused, complied.
“Okay, as it stands, one student will fight an extra match,” Hayate coughed. “The digital display board up there will select two genin at random. The rules are simple: Matches will go on until one is unable to continue, or die. I'll end the match if I feel it's over, and I will tolerate no argument.”
Sakura grimaced and pulled her leather gloves out of her pouch, pulling them on. She cast a nervous look over at Sasuke, who ignored her. His attention was entirely on the display board.
“S-Sasuke-kun, um, are you sure you're-?”
“Shut up, I'm fine,” the Uchiha snarled quietly. “You've been doing nothing but annoying me ever since we got here.”
Naruto glared.
“Hey, bastard! She's just worried about you! Don't be such an asshole!”
Sasuke turned to Naruto, face stone cold. Naruto returned it, baring his teeth. Sakura looked nervously between the two… Until Sasuke unexpectedly smirked.
“I want to fight you most of all, Naruto.”
Naruto gawked, and raised an eyebrow.
“Eh?”
He searched Sasuke's face for hints of sarcasm… But there was none. Something seemed to tell Naruto, on a level he could barely perceive, that Sasuke wanted to fight him, not just to prove who was stronger but for something… More. Something that didn't involve his revenge.
The blond ninja smiled back, feeling happier and calmer around the Uchiha than he had since… Well, ever.
“Yeah… I want to fight you too,” Naruto returned earnestly. Sasuke nodded, his smirk becoming a little softer. Sakura blinked between the two, biting her lower lip, but looking slightly less tense.
Anko walked nearer to the Hokage, eyes narrowed.
“Hokage-sama, are you sure you won't reconsider Sasuke-?”
“I'm sure,” Sandaime said, quietly but as firm as steel. Anko nodded and backed off, as the Hokage and his escort went to his viewing box high above the observation decks.
“Allright everyone, up on the catwalks, you can watch from there,” Hayate called out, drawing Team Seven's attention once more. They followed the other students, assembling near Kakashi who was leaning against the wall, Icha Icha Paradise in one hand as usual. Naruto rolled his eyes.
“You know Kakashi-sensei, if someone didn't know better they'd say you were addicted to that stuff,” the blond said in distaste. Kakashi just eye-smiled.
“You just don't yet appreciate great literature,” the jounin said with a cool air. Gai shook his head and struck a dramatic pose next to his eternal rival.
“Oh Kakashi! How is it that your students burn with such youth, and yet their instructor has fallen into the darkness of depravity!” He sniffled, tears threatening to bubble out of his eyes.
“Hm? You say something, Gai?” Kakashi asked. Gai's tears abruptly vanished as he struck an angry pose, cursing Kakashi's `cool and modern' attitude. Naruto raised an eyebrow at Tenten who was leaning on the railing lining the catwalk. She glanced at Gai and shrugged in exasperation, smiling at him. He smiled back and leaned forward against the railing as well, looking out to the catwalk on the other side of the arena.
A flash of killing intent brushed over his senses, and he locked onto the source. Gaara was staring at him, green eyes narrowed. Naruto glared back.
“Hey, Kabuto? You had an info card on that Gaara kid, right?” Sakura asked, standing next to the older genin farther down the catwalk. Kabuto nodded, drawing the requested card and handing it to her, his eyes locked on the Sound Jounin standing against a wall in the arena.
Why does Orochimaru-sama want me to fight? Surely it'd be better for me to keep my abilities hidden…
Sakura looked over the card, frowning at the records.
“Never a scratch on him,” she muttered. “How is that possible?”
“I'll tell you how,” Kiba spoke up, causing Sakura to turn and look at him. “He can form sand into a shield around himself, instantly. Nothing can hurt him.” The Inuzuka looked nervous, and Akamaru on his head whimpered. Sakura blinked.
“Huh? How do you know?”
“We saw him, while we were heading for the tower,” Shino spoke next, emotionlessly as always, but with a hint of strain that even Sakura could detect. Frowning, she looked at Hinata, who looked shaken at whatever memories that statement brought up.
“Saw him…?”
“Slaughtered a whole Rain team without breaking a sweat,” Kiba explained, grimacing. “Even when they surrendered he just… Crushed them, like they were bugs! Er, no offense Shino.”
“None taken,” the Aburame returned politely. Sakura looked over at Gaara, and shuddered as he glanced her way. The look in his eyes seemed to clutch at her heart in mind-numbing fear.
“Listen, Sakura, I really suggest that if you get this guy, you just forfeit. He's way too much for anyone, trust me,” Kiba emphasized. Sakura bit her lower lip and said nothing, as Kabuto merely continued his staring match with the disguised Orochimaru.
Somewhat near the Sand Team, the Sound genin were assembled, all three glaring at the Konoha ninja across. Zaku gripped his artificial hand menacingly as he glared at Sasuke, to which the Uchiha glared back, hand resting on the hilt of his broken sword.
“Allright, first fighters are coming up now,” Hayate called, getting nearly everyone's attention. The display board flashed through several names, before settling on the first pair.
Uchiha Sasuke versus Abumi Zaku.
“Looks like this is my lucky day,” Zaku grinned, clenching his metallic hand in glee. He leapt down to the stone floor below, slamming his fist into the ground hard enough to spiderweb a tile, a low boom echoing throughout the chamber.
No… Why did Sasuke-kun have to be first? Sakura thought with a frown.
Sasuke moved to leap down, but Kakashi put a hand on his shoulder. The Uchiha looked at his sensei questioningly.
“Remember… If you do not keep control of the seal, I will withdraw you from the match. Understand?” Kakashi asked. Grimly Sasuke nodded, tolerating a small, encouraging squeeze of his shoulder by his sensei before he leapt down. Both Sound and Leaf ninja walked towards eachother, stopping roughly three meters from eachother with Hayate in the middle. The proctor coughed, before nodding.
“Ready…? Begin,” he said, and backed away. For a moment the two genin stared at eachother. Zaku grinned.
“Still carrying around that broken sword of yours I see.”
“I wouldn't be talking right now,” Sasuke retorted, Sharingan eyes drifting to his artificial hand. Zaku snarled, and lifted it up, palm outstretched.
“DIE!” A powerful airblast issued from the metal hand, Sasuke dodging to the left. Zaku cursed and slammed his hand down, generating a sonic wave through the stone that shook the floor violently. Sasuke leapt and used chakra to stick to a wall, and leaped out of the way once again as Zaku fired another air blast, putting a decent-sized crater where he'd stuck seconds before.
“Too slow!” Sasuke taunted, bouncing off another wall and flying for Zaku, kunai in his hand. The Sound ninja blocked the strike with his metal hand and tried to fire off an air blast at point-blank range, which Sasuke made go wild by punching Zaku and kicking off him. The spectators on the right catwalk (and the Hokage) raised their arms to shield their eyes from the air burst.
“Gah! C'mon Sasuke, beat this guy already!” Naruto growled.
Both Sakura and Ino seemed to consider cheering Sasuke on, but seemed to think better of it.
Sasuke landed, skidding as not all of Zaku's last attack had gone in the wrong direction. The Uchiha grimaced as he felt a twitch on the back of his neck, but ignored it. He ran forward, performing a one-handed cartwheel to avoid Zaku's next blast.
“Give it up, pretty boy! I can do this all day! How long can you keep up?” Zaku taunted, focusing another air blast at Sasuke, which he dodged again.
“How long until you actually hit me?” Sasuke retorted with a smirk. Zaku snarled and fired an airblast with both hands, wide-angle. There was no chance the Uchiha could escape now, and Zaku grinned as he saw the Uchiha be slammed against the wall…
… And turn into a log. Zaku snarled and spun around, expecting an attack from behind… Only to feel a kick in the back of his head.
“That was an old trick,” Sasuke smirked, crouching and punting Zaku into the air. He leapt after, getting above. “This is too… But from here on out, it's all original!”
Sasuke kicked Zaku to the side, twirling in mid-air above him to deliver another to his other side, before using the momentum of that last hit to spin himself into an axe kick.
“SHISHI RENDAN!” The Uchiha shouted, sending the Sound Nin crashing to the stone floor below. Zaku snarled and rolled onto his side, trying to get his metal hand up and ready to fire before his opponent could land.
But Sasuke saw this through the Sharingan and spun, getting down to the ground next to Zaku before the blast connected. Zaku screamed as Sasuke slammed his kunai into his metal hand, the energy build up of his next blast already taking place.
“YOU IDIOT! YOU'LL KILL US BOTH!” Zaku screamed, but it was too late. The hand glowed bright blue, and Sasuke barely had enough time to use another replacement jutsu before it exploded, casting a massive amount of dust into the air. Sasuke reappeared outside the blast zone, grimacing as he held his side. He looked down at his hand and blinked. Since when do I wear gloves…?
To the spectators, Uchiha Sasuke's blue and white outfit had seemed to turn dark black, the outline of a cloak flowing behind him, a dark wing protruding from his back… And then he was back to normal, gawking at his hand.
The smoke cleared, and he turned at the sound of a groan. He glared coldly at the downed Sound genin, staring in horrified agony at his mangled arm. Everything below his elbow had been blown apart, leaving everything else an ugly, blackened ruin. He tried to get up, but collapsed, eyes rolling into the back of his head.
Hayate came near, bent down, and checked Zaku. He then rose and turned to Sasuke.
“Winner, Uchiha Sasuke,” he spoke.
Sasuke rose and turned, looking up at the catwalk. He spotted Rock Lee, who was staring at him in shock. Sasuke bowed in appreciation, before going back up the steps to the upper level.
Amazing! He only saw me do it once, and he was able to copy it perfectly! So that is your special ability. You really are something, Sasuke. You just keep getting stronger all the time. You make me...almost...a little nervous, Lee thought, gaze firmly locked onto the Uchiha as he ascended the stairs.
Kakashi was standing at the top, lone eye narrowed.
“C'mon, we're getting you checked out, now,” Kakashi stated. Sasuke narrowed his eyes back at his sensei.
“What? The seal didn't-!”
“No, but something happened, and I'm not taking any chances,” the jounin said harshly. With a scowl Sasuke nodded, turning to look at Naruto and Sakura further down on the catwalk. Naruto just stared at him pensively, while Sakura smiled, though even Sasuke could tell it was strained. He nodded to them both with an apathetic face as Kakashi led him into a passage connected to the catwalk.
Hayate cleared his throat, and got everyone's attention again.
“Right… Next match, on the screen now. Shino Aburame and Tsurugi Misumi.”
The trench-coat and sunglasses wearing genin calmly descended the stone stairs to the arena floor, while the third member of Kabuto's cell simply leaped down. The two stared at eachother for a time, before Misumi laughed.
“This is it? This is my opponent? A pitiful, first year bug user? This won't last five minutes,” he grinned behind his mask. Shino made no response, only nodding to the proctor as he approached.
“Huh? Bug user?” Naruto asked, scratching his head. “What does that mean?”
“Ha! Don't you know anything, Deadlast?” Jeered Kiba. Naruto glared at him, and the Inuzuka merely smirked and shook his head.
“You'll see, dumbass, you'll see,” Kiba finished, as Akamaru barked in agreement. Hinata poked her fingers together, looking at Naruto apologetically, to which he smiled before turning back to the arena.
Hayate looked at the two fighters, nodded, and said “Begin!” He then backed away.
Misumi wasted no time, leaping right at Shino and wrapping himself around him. His limbs stretched in bizarre and disturbing ways, until he resembled a boa constrictor around a tiny mouse.
“Shino-kun!” Hinata cried out. Shino did not even look fazed, as Misumi chuckled, head stretched next to his opponent's ear.
“So, Aburame, ready to call it quits? Or shall I squeeze the life out of you?”
Shino raised his eyebrows.
“It is entirely possible you could have defeated me right at the start,” Shino began in his usual, calm monotone. “However, this match is mine.”
Misumi laughed mockingly.
“Oh? How do you figure, hm?”
Shino did not answer… He merely began to disintegrate. Misumi's eyes widened in surprise as his hostage became a mass of black insects, which soon covered him, biting and stinging.
“AAUUUGHHHH! AUUUGHHHH! OH GOD, GET THEM OFF ME! GET THEM OFF MEEEE!”
The real Shino calmly walked out of the shadow of the catwalk, watching his Kikai insects continue to swarm over Misumi.
“I created a Kikai Bunshin and hid it in the shadows as I walked down the stairs,” Shino explained, as though discussing the weather. “I know of your clan's bloodline, Tsurugi. Using chakra to separate your joints and manipulate your bodies for maximum flexibility. I correctly deduced that your first move would be to try and capture me.”
“What-ARGGGHHH!-are they doing to meEEEE?!” Misumi screamed.
“Draining your chakra, and injecting you with their venom, which will soon paralyze you,” Shino stated calmly. Misumi's eyes rolled into the back of his head and he fell in an unconscious heap on the floor. The kikai swarm took off and flew back to Shino, diving into his jacket.
Hayate coughed. “Winner; Aburame Shino.”
Lee gawked in disbelief.
“Woah, wait! How did he do that?” He turned to Neji. “Find out!”
“Byakugan!” Neji muttered, veins bulging around his grey eyes as his bloodline activated. He grimaced.
“I thought he was using a summoning jutsu for all those insects… but they actually live inside him!” The Hyuuga narrowed his amazing eyes.
He's filled with insects…So this is the work of the Aburame clan? Gruesome… yet effective, he thought, hand unconsciously twitching to go up and feel his caged bird seal.
“Living inside him?” Lee asked, jaw dropped.
Naruto gazed in awe as Shino approached.
“Nice job, Shino,” Kiba complimented with a grin.
“C-Congratulations, Shino-kun,” Hinata stuttered only a little. Kurenai smiled at him.
“Excellent work,” imparted the genjutsu mistress.
The Aburame merely nodded politely.
“Wow… That was so cool!” Naruto enthused. “I mean, sure, no explosions but still…” Sakura made a face nearby.
“Ugh… He gives me the creeps… All those bugs…”
“Sabaku no Kankuro, and Akimichi Chouji, please come down!” Hayate called, coughing a little after that.
“Aw nuts!” Chouji groaned. Kankuro grinned predatorily and leapt to the arena floor. Ino smirked.
“Hey, relax Chouji! You took out one of those demons in the forest.”
Naruto grinned and gave his friend a thumbs up.
“Yeah! That pajama wearing freak doesn't have a prayer against you! Squish him flat!”
Chouji frowned.
“You implying anything by that, Naruto?” The Akimichi asked, narrowing his eyes. The blond ninja gulped and smiled nervously.
“Er, nothing! Nothing!”
“Yeah, he's not calling you fat. That's my job,” Ino smirked. Chouji growled.
“Grrr… Damnit, I'm not FAT! I'm BIG BONED!” With that, the heavy set shinobi leapt to the floor, landing in a crouch. Kankuro smirked.
“You wanna take me on tubby?” The Sand ninja taunted. “Go home and eat some cake, fatass. This is a place for ninjas.”
Ino, Shikamaru, Asuma, and Naruto all winced. They knew just how furious Chouji got when someone made fun of his weight. Now, Ino did it and meant it only in fun (and a twisted sort of affection), but when someone meant it in a clearly hostile way…
“TUBBY?! That's it, you're going down ASSHOLE! NIKUDEN SENSHA!” Chouji expanded into his massive, boulder-like form and accelerated for Kankuro, who just stood there and continued to smirk.
What the... Why is that guy just standing there? Ino wondered. Naruto frowned, the Keyblade seeming to wish to leap into his grasp.
“Huh? What's he doing?”
“Something wrong about this,” Shikamaru murmured, eyes narrowed. Tenten and Sakura nearby stared as Chouji reached maximum speed and collided with Kankuro.
The Leaf ninja came to a dead stop.
“The hell?” Naruto gasped. Every Konoha ninja (including most of the jounin) gawked in disbelief as Kankuro held Chouji back with two hands, but no other obvious effort. Kankuro grinned and pulled back one of his fists, before ramming it deep into Chouji's mass.
“AUGH!” Chouji bellowed as an electrical current flowed through his body. Kankuro's grin widened.
“You're screwed, tubby.” His eye seemed to fracture, before exploding outwards, revealing a mechanical eye.
“HOLY SHIT! HE'S A CYBORG!” Naruto shouted, summoning the Keyblade. Ino's own eyes widened, but for a slightly different reason.
More aliens?!
“I don't think so,” Kakashi noted, as the rest of `Kankuro's' skin and clothing came apart, revealing a brown-skinned, mechanical monstrosity that vaguely resembled a multi-armed human. A whir of motors and two more arms pulled back, before plunging into Chouji's hide again.
“SON OF A-!” Chouji's curse was cut short as his jutsu was dispelled, leaving him lying on his back on the arena floor, looking dizzy. The bundle on the thing's back unwrapped itself, becoming the real Kankuro. He smirked, holding up his hands.
“Idiot…”
“What the hell is that thing, Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto demanded. Kakashi looked thoughtful.
“It's a ninja puppet.”
Puppet?”
Kakashi rolled his eyes.
“It's like a robot that fights for him. He controls it with chakra strings, manipulating them to make the puppet move. Looks like this puppet is equipped with a taser weapon, as well as motors to enhance its strength and-“
“That venom should be paralyzing you nicely right about now,” Kankuro went on with a smirk. Kakashi shrugged at Naruto's raised eyebrow.
“Surrender, and I'll give you the anti-venom,” Kankuro offered, holding up a bottle. “But make it quick-Karasu's poison progresses quickly.”
Chouji snarled, but nodded weakly. Hayate sighed.
“Winner, Kankuro!” The jounin called, as the medic ninjas quickly got to the poisoned genin, stretcher in hand. Naruto frowned as he saw Kankuro smirk and walk off, puppet in his hand, as he tossed the antidote carelessly to one of the medics. The ninja caught it, shooting a glare at the puppeteer's back.
“So that's what that thing was… Hey, Kakashi-sensei! Isn't that against the rules? Two on one, I mean,” he asked. Kakashi frowned, a bit more concerned with the fact Naruto sensed his return than the question. But, in order to deflect the odd looks being sent his way, he decided to handle the question.
“Says the boy who can make an army of himself,” Sakura snorted. Kakashi eye-smiled. Good girl, Sakura.
“What? That's a ninja technique! That there was… Was… Oh nevermind,” the blond huffed, dejected. Shikamaru frowned, arms across his chest, as Ino watched her sensei consult with the med nins, biting her lower lip.
“Well?” Kakashi asked Asuma as he returned to the observation deck. The son of the Third Hokage sighed and lit up a new cigarette.
“The antidote was delivered in time. Much longer and Chouji's lungs would have stopped working.” Asuma looked over at the Sand ninja across the arena, frowning thoughtfully. A tall Sand jounin with his head wrapped in gauze and the right half of his face covered in white cloth, stared back impassively.
“He'd just better not run into me in the next round,” Naruto snarled. Shikamaru was silent, but nodded his assent. Ino tightened her grip on her staff, and felt her chakra shape itself to cast lightening within it as she caught Kankuro's smirk. The puppeteer winked and blew a mocking kiss.
“Trust me, Whiskers, I face him and there won't be enough pieces left of him to fill a paper bag,” Ino hissed, sparks seemingly shooting from her eyes. Naruto and Shikamaru stared at her, and felt the killing intent of her barely-restrained wrath. Sakura scooted a few steps away from her former best friend and current rival.
“Damn am I glad she's not mad at me,” Naruto muttered. Shikamaru nodded, just a little faster than he would normally.
His attention went back to the display board, Naruto frowned.
“C'mon, when's it going to be my turn!”
“Do not worry, Naruto!” Lee boomed. “Our time will come! Let us hope it is towards the end, though! Thus, we will be the closing act!”
Naruto grinned.
“That'd be awesome Lee! But, I'm still hoping to go next…”
Naruto trailed off as the next match was announced. He looked uneasily to either side of himself.
“Yamanaka Ino, and Haruno Sakura, please come down for your match!” Hayate announced.
- - - - - - - - - -
Behold my evil cliffhanger powers! Mwahahahaha!
I've been mixing up the matches a bit to keep things interesting, but still rather canon. You'll see why I had Kabuto stay in later.
Not much to say on this chapter, expect that it was *very* time consuming to write and rewrite the dialogue and action scenes.
I kept Shino's fight short and to the point because, c'mon, it's Shino. He kicks ass.
Overall, there will be eleven matches in this arc, which I'll split between three chapters at most. I will skip a few matches if I feel they don't add to the story. Still a bit undecided about some of the matches, and considering some rather unconventional ones, but you'll have to wait and see what they are.
If you have questions, feel free to check out my forums for this story, or my author's notes at the end of previous chapters.
As always, please review! Hits and faves are nice, but I can't truly progress as a writer unless I know what the reader thinks.
Now, it's omake time!
By Andrew J. Talon (Me, in other words):
 
Hayate came near, bent down, and checked Zaku. He then rose and turned to Sasuke.
 
“Winner, Uchiha Sasuke,” he spoke.
 
“About time, Duck Butt Head!” Naruto shouted.
 
“Shut up Naruto!” Sakura growled.
 
“What? His hair looks like the back end of a duck! Don't tell me you've never noticed it before!” Naruto defended himself. Ino shot him a glare.
 
“Doesn't mean you can go and insult him like that, idiot!”
 
“Look whose talking!” Naruto laughed back with a wicked grin.
 
“Then again, he does have a point,” Tenten added thoughtfully, giggling a little. Ino's face turned red, as did Sakura's. Naruto just began laughing, soon joined by Tenten and a few other genin, though they all tried to conceal it.
 
Sasuke glowered at the laughter.
 
"Screw you all!"
By Yamimaru:
Omake 2
(Note: This one is based off of a funny comic I saw on deviantart a while back.
And an omake from shadowmaster62's "Unseen.")
Itachi stared at Sasuke's outfit for a moment, and then grabbed his brother's throat and held him up to eye-level.
"Otouto, what the hell happened to all of that stuff I taught you about looking cool?"
Naruto, decided that now would be a good to throw in his two ryou.
"He went emo!"
Itachi shuddered and then looked back at Sasuke and pulled out a kunai.
"Stupid otouto, I feel it is my duty to put you out of both our miseries, as I can't stand
the idea of anyone related to me listening to the likes of My Chemical Romance or Savage
Garden."
"And like you listen to better music?"
 
"As a matter of fact, yes I do." With that Itachi dropped Sasuke and pulled off his cloak
to reveal...
...A WHITE DISCO SUIT?!?!?
A mirror-ball dropped out of nowhere as "Stayin' Alive" started playing in the background.
Itachi, who now lacked his hitai-ate, was wearing platform shoes, and had an afro for some
reason started dancing as Naruto and Sasuke stared horrified and Kisame face-palmed.
"Not again."
By Reform Joms:
 
Naruto doesn't know why he had to bring them to this place.
 
Naruto obviously thought to himself that he was probably drunk when he brought Team Gai to this place.
 
And as it was, 'Konoha's Green Beast' had just decided to go commando, and was swinging
the vines with Tarzan. And they had also gone and went to have a banana eating contest. As it stands, the score was Tarzan: 60, and Lee: 65. Banana peels littered the jungle floor.
 
...Many animals slipped that day. And it was from then on, was to be remembered as a day
of slippery infamy.
 
Tenten had snatched Clayton's gun, very interested in it as she broke it in half. In fact,
she had gone deaf crazy as she ransacked the whole camp, looking for more weapons, or
anything that looks like a weapon. As it stands, she found 14 kitchen knives, 6
'ball-looking thingies', 24 rifles and guns, 3 packs of 'things that go boom', 40
'pokey-stabby-slicy-sawwy' things, and 64 of everything else.
 
Neji was running away from (insert Jane's father's name) for all his worth as the man had
taken an interest on how somehow who has no pupils, and by the professor's definition,
someone who is blind, can still see. The professor had made an impromptu lab out of
nowhere, and was trying to catch the Hyuuga for disecting purposes and study and research.
 
As it stands, they've been at it for 1:25:09, hours:minutes:seconds.
 
Gai was wrestling the hippos and the elephants. The gorillas were somehow dragged into
it. As it stands, Gai had knocked out two more, bringing the 'score' to 6 elephants, 3
hippos, and 15 gorillas... right before the gorillas went bananas on his ** and pile
drived him like they were playing football. The last thing Gai saw before he was knocked
out, was a cloud of snalring gorillas.
 
And Naruto and Jane both sat down on a picnic mat and started to sip tea, while they each
shared stories of their "crazy, eventful, and 'people who need to go to a happy hotel'"
worlds.
 
Around them, (by that, nowhere near the crazy people) the monkey heartless had somehow setup a bar/lounge, calling it, "The Monkey Heartless Bar/Lounge." Some said Heartless were playing jazz music from instruments out of materials from the camp. (If you don't get the joke, try watching Disney's Tarzan, and watch the part where the animals break into the
camp and suddenly burst into song using stuff from the camp as instruments)
 
One monkey Heartless approached the tea-sipping two, holding a kettle.
 
"Ook ook ooh oo?" It asked.
 
Naruto and Jane nodded. Naruto said, "Yes, more tea please."
 
The Heartless did so, and went back to the bar.
 
Naruto sighed. He just hoped that Sakura, Sasuke, Kakashi and the team they were sent with were fairing better in their mission.
 
 
-Somewhere else-
 
 
Sakura, Kakashi, and the rest of the team all slowly backed away from Sasuke. They don't
know what the fiends did to Sasuke, but the result was this...
 
As it stands, Uchiha Sasuke was frolicking in the flowers. Around him, Care Bears all
laughed and giggled and was merry-ing their butts off.
 
"Hey Sasuke?" one Care Bear called.
 
"Yes, Share Bear?" Sasuke answered gayly.
 
"Do you have something to share?"
 
"Yes I do, Share Bear." Sasuke answered, giggling, "I'm not wearing any underwear!"
 
The other Care Bears just giggled.
 
Sakura, Kakashi, and Team Eight didn't know whether they should laugh at that, feel
mentally scarred by the image, kill the annoying little things, commit suicide, gouge
their eyes and ears out, or do all of the above.
 
They all thought the same thing, 'God, this is more creepy and disturbing as the time we
went to that one place with all the Rainbow Monkeys...'
 
-End Omake.
 
SG-1's got nothing on these guys, LOL…