Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Killing Loneliness ❯ Perhaps I am not Alone ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: i do not own anything written by kishimoto.

The pure snow floated silently from the gloomy sky above. As it landed upon the small boy, it felt soft though instantly like rain as it melted on his skin. He lay there, seemingly lifeless. His small, pale hands brushed the snow beneath him and he sat up slowly, his eyes boaring into what seemed a path. Brushing the snow away more, he studied the land ahead of him. The path was clearly visible about ten feet down, and continued into the forest.

His curiousity got the best of him and he stood, walking down the path. Maybe he would discover a place he could stay and keep warm in. So he continued through, gazing calmly up at the snow-coated trees. Despite his great sadness, Haku tried to enjoy his beautiful surroundings... to ensure he was at least somewhat glad to be here, on this Earth.

Continuing on for ten minutes, Haku stopped and studied the home that ly infront of him. His gentle brown eyes wandered along as he gazed at the seemingly peaceful home. Causiously, he walked slowly up and around a corner to the back. Staying as silent as possivble, he could now hear some sort of reoccuring tapping noises. Leaning against the home, he slowly peaked to see what was happening...

Seven nine foot tall wooden poles towered around the backyard. There were several of them plunged into ground and upon them stood a girl about his age. The back of her choppy brown hair was visable as it floated against the wind. She seemed to be training as she leapt and balanced from pole to pole. He watched carefully as she prepared for a flip. His grip on the house grew tighter as she leapt and spun through the air. She landed perfectly. Haku was too astonished to notice that her eyes were now on him. Her eyes' brilliant, pale hazel color nearly peirced him. The snow in their atmosphere made her eyes glow. His mouth was now quivering as he attempted to speak, though was too offgaurd.

She leapt down and began to approach him. Haku didn't know what to do at this point. Run? Stay? Was she a threat? All these questions raced him fragile mind until the girl was right infront of him. To his surprise, a small smile broke out onto her face. His mouth fell open the slightest bit, until at last he smiled back. Something about her nearly seemed similar to himself, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. The chilling air blew, the trees singing in the wind as the girl examined him. She seemed unsure of what to make of him. "Who are you?" she asked. Haku looked up at her slowly and the girl looked somewhat concerned. The boys eyes were so cold and lifeless. What happened to him?

"My name," he started softly, "is Haku." A silence fell between them for a short while.

The two began walking toward another small shed in the back. Haku was surprised the girl didn't shun him. Something told him that she felt alone as well. "My name is Ren," she said, opening the door to the shed. The inside was a simple room, with a single light beaming through a high window. There was a bed to their left with a nightstand and lamp. It was very simple and slightly runned-down. Sitting on the creaking bed, they were silent yet again.

"This is your room..?" Haku asked, his voice was soothing in the silence. "Where are your parents?"
"They are inside," she replied, gazing at Haku's hands which were very pale and dirty. Gazing up at his face, she came to find his gender was rather misleading. Although what was more important was that she may at last have found a friend. For so long she was home, isolated with her strict and uneffectionate 'parents' training her day in and day out. She was sure they didn't even want her to have friends.

"What about yours?" Ren was unsure of this question, and grew more concerned after he did not respond. He only blankly gazed at the worn wood floor. His eyes slowly navigated upward until they met her own. Their eyes locked onto one another for a long time.

"Are you lonely...?" Haku said, nearly in a whisper.
"All of the time." Haku gazed back down, seemingly preparing himself for his answer. Ren figured he didn't speak of this much.
"They didn't want me... they though their own son was a monster." Ren's eyes still peering at him, as sympathy overwhelmed her for the first time. His loneliness was clearly greater than her own. Ren's hand slowly slid across the cool sheets and toward Haku's. Just as their fingers brushed, they startled at the sound of Ren's father clamouring in.

"Who is this?" He barked. Haku jumped from his seat as the man's raging face burned through him.
"No- father-" Ren was cut short as her stalky father barked once more.
"Get out! Now!" Haku was running past him, like a frightened rabbit. Realization hit him though as he ran. Her parents kept her locked away from everything and everyone.
"Please... He's alone, he has no one-"
"You should be training," Ren's father cur her off once more. Now, more than every anger brewed within her.
"Why?! Why mustn't you let me have freinds? Like a normal child?" Ren chirped. Her father only glared hardly at her as tears swelled into her hazel eyes and simply shut the door as he walked out. Ren dove into bed, the tears now jumping from her eyes uncontrollably.

Ren sniffled and wept for what seemed an eternity. She and Haku had only known eachother for a few minutes, but those were the only minutes she truly ever charished. Never had she felt so close to anyone, not even the people who raised her.

Through some of the night she did train, the anger releasing itself with every jab she threw. Her mother called her in to eat, though rather than staying inside her warm home, she started to her cabin.
"Where do you think you are headed?" her father boomed after her. Ren stopped for a moment, and without looking back she headed to her dark, cold shed to eat alone.

"Hisui," Ren's father called to the mother, who looked a bit ashamed for the first time in many years. "Don't tell me you are feeling sorry for her. She is going against her will... by sneaking some child into her shed who will only be a distraction." Hisui sighed, jabbing at the steamed rice on her plate tiredly.

"I suppose you are right," she said at last.
Converting /tmp/phppB1WQ4 to /dev/stdout