Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Kokoro no Kizu, Wounds of the Heart ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Man, Sasuke and Naruto really have a complex relationship. I did a lot of researching on their personalities and what they represent before I wrote this chappie. I tried my best to capture their rivalry and friendship with an element of romance. If anyone has thoughts, please share them with me.
 
* * *
 
Chapter 3
 
Sasuke, sometimes you think I'm stupid, calling me names like dobe and usuratonkachi, but if you didn't say it you wouldn't be Sasuke. I annoy you because I crave your attention. Its how I've always gotten people to notice me in life, although it might not be the best way. To be honest, I don't know any better. I'm just Uzumaki Naruto, the idiot who wants to be Hokage.
 
Sasuke, you are born of a noble clan, you're a genius and everyone praises you for it. You are the perfection I aspire to be with all my heart and soul. That's why your approval means more to me than life itself. If you give me your approval, I'd know that I'm important, I'm special, I'm strong, but greatest of all I would know…I'm loved.
 
Iruka-sensei said that when one person loves another, they are willing to lay down their life for them. If I did that for you Sasuke, then you'd know how I feel. I can't explain my feelings for you. They're just something deep down inside that connect me to you. And somewhere inside of you are feelings that join you to me and create the bond we share.
 
When we were children I saw you sitting alone at the dock over the lake near your old house, the same lonely eyes that gazed at me in class today stared out sadly onto the water below. That's when I knew you were alone and our bond formed from common feelings. Like you, I am alone and am suffering. But when I'm in your presence the pain vanishes and I feel happy.
 
“Hey Iruka-sensei, I wonder when I'll see Sasuke-kun again,” I said as we strolled through the village streets to the nearest market to buy ingredients for Iruka's homemade ramen.
 
Iruka chuckled, walking besides me. “You're really fond of Sasuke, eh Naruto-kun?”
 
“Yeah! I see it as a chance to be with someone that understands me,” I said back, smiling.
 
“You both know what loneliness is,” Iruka pointed out. “From what I've seen, Sasuke-kun's never spoken to anyone from the time he enrolled at the Academy at eight until now.”
 
Iruka and I reached the supermarket, taking a seat on some benches outside to rest before continuing in. “Four years of not talking to anyone. How'd he survive that?”
 
“By numbing out his feelings, I guess.” Iruka shrugged. “A person like that is always detached, wanting nothing to do with the world. It's like a part of them is dead.”
 
“Depression,” I muttered, staring up at the empty clear sky. “I always find life exciting, with new challenges to meet and ninja skills to develop, that I'm not sad.” A bright idea came. “Ya know, Iruka-sensei, if I could cheer Sasuke-kun up…he'd really like me.”
 
“You can't force someone to like you, Naruto-kun,” Iruka sighed, sinking back in the bench beside me. “In fact, that might annoy them. That'd drive Sasuke away from you. It's best to give him some space.”
 
I frowned and crossed my arms. “But if I do that, he ignores me.”
 
“I know how much his attention means to you, Naruto-kun.” Iruka laid a caring hand on my shoulder. “You feel that if Sasuke-kun likes you, so will the rest of the village. You think no one loves you, Naruto-kun. That's the wound in your heart, isn't it?”
 
“I suppose, Iruka-sensei.” I averted my gaze, mindlessly watching the footsteps of passersby.
 
“Look, we all have wounds just because we're alive, and we're human beings. Although Sasuke-kun appears to have the perfect life, people praise him and he's a genius, I'm sure he has wounds too. Why do you think he's so withdrawn?” asked Iruka thoughtfully.
 
“He's…not happy. When we kissed and I made eye contact, I saw he was really suffering.” Sasuke's black orbs hid an inner storm of hatred burned rage against the world. “He wanted to scream out and cry.” Maybe Sasuke was worse off than me after all. “Iruka-sensei, what can I do to help him?”
 
“Smile, Naruto-kun.” Iruka winked at me and smiled. “You've got a great smile and it always cheers me up.”
 
“R-really, sensei?” I piped.
 
He nodded, his features brightening. “Of course. Now let's go grocery shopping. I'll make you the best ramen tonight!” Iruka sprang up and pulled me to my feet.
 
“Great!” I said. “Let's go.”
 
In the supermarket I ran down the aisles finding ingredients for Iruka's ramen.
 
“Oh miso, my favorite,” I said picking a package off the shelf into my basket. My joy didn't last long. That sad feeling returned as a heavy gaze struck me. Sasuke! I ran the aisle towards the dairy section in the back where I saw him.
 
He stood there, silent as a statue, head cast down, his face hidden by thick, raven-haired bangs that fell right around his jaw line framing it. “What do you want, dobe?” he hissed, his voice base and low.
 
“I just came to say hi,” I said.
 
“Liar. That kiss wasn't enough. You wanted more, didn't you?” He glared at me, eyes narrow and angry.
 
“I thought we were friends, Sasuke-kun. What's up with the attitude?” I snapped, putting down my basket.
 
“Don't call me -kun. I acted that way before to get you off my back, you goddamn moron. Obviously you thought I was sincere, so it didn't work. You're so naïve, you stupid ass.”
 
Sasuke's words cut through my soul, but it couldn't break the bond I felt towards him. I yanked him by his shirt. “Maybe I'm dumb like everybody says, but a part of you likes me. Back at Ichiraku, why the hell did you kiss me?”
 
“You wouldn't get lost unless I did so,” he replied curtly, squeezing my wrist so bad it hurt, forcing me to release him.
 
“Stop bullshitting!” I punched him hard in the chest causing him to keel over collapse. “I'm sick of your lies. From now on, we're going to be honest, or else, Sasuke.”
 
Sasuke spit out blood. “Or else what?”
 
“I'll beat the shit outta you.” I crouched over, holding a fist to his face.
 
He clenched his teeth, wiping the blood off his lips. He thought, the dobe actually stood up to me. He doesn't give up. A person only acts like this when they care about you. Why does he act this way?
 
“Why do you act this way, Naruto?” Sasuke asked, raising himself onto his knees, breathing heavily.
 
I sniffled, shifting my sight away. “We share a bond. I don't know what it is, but I don't feel so lonely…when I'm with someone who understands me. And I guess, I'm happy too.”
 
Sasuke thought, I saw him as some looser that annoyed me for the hell of it. Now I know, there's more to him than meets the eye. Back at Ichiraku I acted like an asshole when I dominated him to prove I was better, and just before in the supermarket I really hurt his feelings.
 
“If you don't feel the same, Sasuke, its okay. Iruka-sensei told me you can't force someone to like you. In fact, it annoys them, driving them away. So its best if I leave you alone. Sorry I bothered you, Sasuke-kun.” I know he didn't want me to call him -kun, but it expressed how I felt.
 
I turned away and grabbed my basket returning to Iruka. He waited patiently at the checkout line. “Did you find the flavoring, Naruto-kun? What took so long?”
 
“Nothing.” I said no more words looking down to hide my expression from Iruka. I felt so pathetic begging for the approval of someone who hated me, who saw me as a looser and his rival. I wanted more than anything to feel important and special, but greatest of all…loved by Sasuke.
 
TBC…