Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Losing Naruto ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]



.…. You’ve noticed it.. Right? …
….his smile?

……It’s the most amazing…
…bright…wonderful…bright…



When he talks about you.


Sakura woke with a start, wincing in pain. The metal plate of her headband was digging painfully into her thigh, and to make matters worse, her window was open, letting in the cold midnight air of Konoha. Unfortunately, she hadn’t bothered getting a blanket before going to sleep. Or taking off her shoes.

Great. Sakura thought miserably, I’m freezing, this stupid headband is killing me, my feet hurt, and… I can’t even get away from this Naruto crap in my sleep!

Sakura groaned, rolling over onto her back, she grabbed her headband, flinging it across the room carelessly. She didn’t even blink when it hit and knocked over something that was obviously glass, and was now obviously broken. She didn’t care at this point, because all she could think about was blonde hair. Or rather, the moron attached to the blonde hair.

Which led her to think about the shy girl who was attached to the moron who was attached to the blonde hair.

Another groan.

Why am I such a horrible person? Am I one of those girls who doesn’t want to see anyone happy? No, that’s not it, I’m perfectly happy for Temari and Shikamaru. Then what could it be? Sakura questioned herself, going over possible reasons for her sudden jealousy and possessiveness over Naruto. Nothing seemed to fit, each conclusion she came to was more ridiculous than the last.

It doesn’t really matter, does it? You made a promise, so whatever happens at this point on, you can’t go back on it.

“That‘s right..” Sakura muttered out loud to herself.

So? Stop thinking and rest, tomorrow is a day full of training. With Naruto and Hinata, no less.

Yet another groan.

“I hate my life.” Sakura sighed, throwing her forearm over her face. She was completely sick of this whole situation. The very thought of it make her stomach twist. She wanted to hate Hinata, wanted to be bitter and spiteful, wanted to curse her name - but found that she couldn’t. It wasn’t Hinata’s fault Sakura didn’t have the guts to say no. Nor was It Hinata’s fault that Sakura was a selfish person.

It’s partly her fault that I’m not getting sleep though, Sakura thought bitterly. Her and that blonde idiot.

Taking a deep breath, Sakura decided to put all these thoughts on hold, relaxing her mind and body through deep meditation Tsunade had taught her. After a few minutes, she was finally in a deep sleep, mercifully devoid of blondes and blushing girls.


-----------------------

“TSUNADE -BABA!!!!”

Why me?

“HEY!”

Why?

TSUNADE-B AAAABAAA!!!”

This always happened to Tsunade, usually in the early mornings. It seemed as if the brat was bored lately, with the absence of Sasuke, who he absolutely loved to pester with challenges and the like. So instead, he took to bothering her. More than usual.

“HEY! LEMME IN!”

For the past minute or so, the guards at Tsunade’s door were having a hard time controlling Naruto. Seems he’s more determined than usual. Maybe it’s important. Tsunade had been hoping that the boy would give up, but no such luck so far. With a deep breath, she finally decided to hear him out.

“FINE!” Tsunade yelled at the door, with a deep calming breath she continued. “Come in, Naruto.”

After a small shuffle, her doors burst open, allowing the angry blonde to enter her office. He gave the guards dirty looks, which were probably returned, only it was impossible to know with those ANBU masks. Naruto dusted himself off, striding over to her desk with his hands in his pockets and his chin in the air.

“Finally! Why couldn’t you let me in the first time, you old hag?!” Naruto spat out, stopping just short of her desk.

Tsunade growled.

“Listen, idiot! You come into my office at 7:30 am demanding to be let in, without an appointment I might add, and now you insult me? What is it you want? And make it quick!”

Naruto pouted, making himself look like a 12 year old boy all over again. It amazed Tsunade, how he could look so handsome and mature, and then two seconds later look like the bratty little pest she had met years ago.

“Hey, Tsunade-baba, you ok?” Naruto questioned, noticing her far away expression.

Tsunade shook her head, “Yes Naruto, I’m fine. Now what is it you wanted?”

Naruto gave her a strange look before shrugging with one shoulder, remembering what he was there to say.

“If you say so. Anyways, I needed to ask you a question. Why wasn’t I recruited by ANBU?”

Oh god. Why me?

Tsunade sighed. “Look Naruto, can we talk about this another time? There are a lot of factors that contributed the ANBU’s deci-”

“Screw that!” Naruto cut in, thoroughly pissing off Tsunade. “I’m stronger than Sasuke! I’m also stronger than Neji-”
Now it was Tsunade’s turn to interrupt.

“What are you talking about? Neji is currently on a mission with Rock Lee.”

Naruto’s jaw dropped, “LEE? Lee is in ANBU too? You’re kidding right? Fuzzy-eyebrows got in but I didn’t? That’s just perfect, why not recruit Konohamaru while they’re at it?”

“BRAT!” Tsunade yelled, stomping her heel on the floor, making a large crack. Naruto looked at her, eyes wide open in fear. Once she was sure to have his attention she continued.

“First of all, how did you know about Neji being recruited?”

“Aha! I knew it, she was tell-” Naruto froze in mid sentence, jaw dropped, looking at Tsunade in fear once again.

Tsunade’s eyes narrowed. So a girl told him? A girl who knows Neji well enough to be aware of his recruitment. A girl who knows Naruto well enough to tell him something like this. A girl who would tell him something that was supposed to be TOP SECRET.

Tsunade thought only for a second before coming to a conclusion.

The Hyuuga girl. I’ll deal with her later.

“So it was the Hyuuga, was it?”

“N-no, it was-”

“Silence! It’s no use lying, Naruto! She’s the only girl in the village who would risk serious trouble - including suspension - to tell you something you were better off not knowing in the first place!”

Naruto lowered his eyes, making Tsunade feel bad for what she said, before remembering she had to be stern with the boy. Pushing her sensitivity to the back of her mind, she continued.

“Moving on. Second of all, Lee is very powerful, and you would do well not to underestimate him.”

Naruto looked up, his eyes wide. “I don’t think he’s weak! It’s just…not really fair.”

Tsunade sighed. Sometimes he really can act like a child.

“Lastly, I’ve been trying to decide weather or not to discuss this with you, but I see I have no choice in the matter. You deserve to know why you are not in ANBU.”

Naruto’s eyes bulged, he seemed to grow a few inches as he put both hands on Tsunade’s desk, leaning over. Eagar as always, Tsunade mused, watching Naruto a few seconds before deciding to finally tell him everything.

“R-really, you’re gonna tell me?” Naruto asked in utter disbelief.

Tsunade closed her eyes. After taking a deep breath, she put both elbows on her desk, resting her chin in her palms.

“Yes, so listen well. What we are about to discuss must not leave this room, do you understand? You can tell the people in your team, but only those you know will not spread the news, since I have yet to officially announce this. Are we clear?”

Naruto nodded vigorously, he was now chewing on his bottom lip in excitement, his foot tapping in impatience. Tsunade considered torturing the boy for a few minutes but thought better of it.

Deep breath.

“The truth is, you were recruited by ANBU.” Tsunade braced herself.

“WHAT?!”

I knew it.

“Calm yourself, brat! And no more interruptions! I’ll explain everything.” Tsunade yelled, reaching the limit of her patience with the blonde. After a moment, Naruto finally gave in, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms.

Ever the child.

“Now, as I was saying!” Tsunade spat out, before taking a deep calming breath. “You were recruited by ANBU, in fact, you were their first choice. They’ve shown interest in you since you turned 15.” Tsunade noticed Naruto was about to explode with the effort of not interrupting, so she quickly went on. “The simple fact is, I would not allow it. The reason for that is…”

Deep breath. Just gotta tell the brat and be over it.

“You are to begin your training soon, directly under me. You are to be the 6th Hokage.”

Silence.

Silence.

Thud.

“Naruto?!”