Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Make Me Immortal ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Make Me Immortal
01. Close To The Edge



Drip…Drop… Drip… Drop… Drip… Drop…



The sing- song of the lingering raindrops filled Sakura’s mind, the only thing present in the haziness of her mind.




Drip…Drop…Drip… Drop…



Numb green eyes stared unseeingly out of her window. She had huddled in on herself on the window sill, hugging her bent knees as she stared out into the night.



It was 8 o’clock. He would be coming soon; he always did, no matter what. He would come to her room, with those strangely lit eyes and roving hands, spurred by a frightening desire. Sakura whimpered in memory and in the knowledge that would happen again, clutching herself even tighter.



Drip… Drop…



The pink- haired head jerked as she heard the sound of footsteps, ascending the stairs. Every step took him closer and closer, and Sakura clenched her eyes shut. Why? Why couldn’t he leave her alone? Oh God, please, not again. Not again.



The door opened, and Sakura lifted despairing eyes to the man. A cruel smile lit his face as his eyes swept the petite form of the 14 year old, cringing on the window sill.



“Come here Sakura.” A voice filled with such command and ownership, it only made her despair all the more perfect.



But she could not obey, she would not. She couldn’t do this anymore, she didn’t have it in her to endure the painfully violent intrusions; it was killing her- both inside and out.



“No.”



“What?” Anger now mixed with the lust in the man’s eyes, and he moved into the room, his large, dark male presence dominating the young teen’s feminine and delicate room, the contrast making her press herself closer to the window glass.



“I said ‘no’.”



Drip…



“ I don’t care what you have to say, you will do as I tell you!”



Sakura saw his reddened face, and knew he had been drinking. He was always more violent when he was drunk. Oh, why did she deny him? Hadn’t she already learnt that painful lesson?



She opened her mouth to placate, to apologise, but it was too late. His hand crashed, hard and heavy against her face, sending her through the glass and onto her balcony. She lay there in puddles of water and glass, cuts bleeding, and stared up in terror at the man. He reached down with dark intent, and hauled her up in a painful grip.



“Father! NO!”



…Drop…



********



It had been two years since Orochimaru’s attack, and the Hidden Leaf Village had been restored to its former glory. All the genins had progressed to chuunin, and were forging paths for themselves in the outside world.



Except for one.



Where Uzumaki Naruto had ventured out with the legendary sennin Jiraiya, and Uchiha Sasuke remained under the tutelage of their sensei Hatake Kakashi, Haruno Sakura was left behind. Teacher and team less, she had turned herself in to the medic- nins, hoping to affirm her existence somewhere. She had in the hospital, with a hidden healing power that had even surpassed Tsunade’s.



And so she spent her time in the hospital, healing those passed through. But no matter who she saved form death, there was one patient she couldn’t heal: her mother.



Overcome with a deadly cancer, Mrs. Haruno had been slowly dying for the past year, despite Sakura’s best efforts. Now 14, Sakura had no choice but to watch her family disintegrate as had her team. Her family was now an abstract term to the young ninja. A mother who was dying, and a father who…



Sakura refused to contemplate it, forcing a calm mask on as she entered the Konoha hospital. The receptionist flashed her a friendly smile, which she returned with the barest uplifting of the lips. It was asking too much of her to act cheerful, as if there were nothing with the world, when she knew all too well that there were many, many wrongs in her home alone.



She received her list of patients from the receptionist, murmuring a faint thank- you, before moving off. She didn’t notice how the receptionist stared after her, with a look of combined sadness and concern. She was too absorbed in finding out whom she was to heal first today.



Sakura knocked on room 43, opening the door after the person called her in. Komei Hiso, 27, had fallen off his roof whilst affixing some tiles. Fractured skull, two broken arms. The man joked genially about his clumsiness as she examined his injuries, replying in all the expected places with an appropriate response of “mm-hmm” or some other equally absent reply.



A few minutes of healing, and he was fixed. Apart from tenderness in his arms and head, he would be fit to leave this afternoon. She smiled briefly as he offered thanks, then was off to room 211.



Ohana Ayaki, 19, had nearly had her hand severed off when facing off a burglar. She had been brought to hospital before the blood loss had gotten too great, but her hand wasn’t looking too positive. Sakura closed the doctor’s notes, stepping into the room where a sleeping woman lay prone on the bed.



Sakura scrutinized the woman’s hand where it lay next to her, heavily bandaged. Carefully, she unwrapped them, inspecting the deep cut. Several nerves and tendons had been severed, and if she had left it any later, she would have lost the use of her hand. Ten minutes later, Sakura left Ohana Ayaki with a fully healed hand.



And so it continued for the rest of the day. Stopping only for a drink at twelve, Sakura went from patient to patient. She would do this day and night if she could; it gave her a way to escape from herself, from everything. If she could lift the pain from a few people each day, then it made her own pain insignificant, and if she was able to forget during those brief, brief hours, then hey, all the better. No matter that the doctors always told her that she drove herself too hard- that was how she wanted it.



6:00pm. Time to go. Sakura was stepping out of room 98, when a young nurse came up to her.



“Haruno- san, if you could look at one last patient before you go? His condition is quite serious, just came back from a mission, and all the other doctors are busy.”



A nod, and Sakura accepted the file on the patient as the nurse led her to room 404. A ninja injured in the life of duty, with multiple cracked bones, concussion, severe blood loss and exhaustion. Seemed as though she would need to keep him on until tomorrow morning. She didn’t have enough chakra left for a full heal, and the extent of his injuries needed to be healed thoroughly, so as to ensure the best chance of future health. Writing her recommendation down, she gave the file back to the nurse before entering Hyuuga Neji’s room.



Sakura made her way to the Hyuuga’s side, studying him with a faint stirring of curiosity. She hadn’t seen him up close since the chuunin exam, and his face had matured since then, growing sharper, more handsome, coldly chiseled in his unconscious state. Calling chakra to her hand, she passed it over him, detecting the worst of his injuries. His ribs were heavily cracked, and his fingers severely dislocated, with other minor aches. She would heal his concussion and ribs now, then remove the pain from his hands until she healed them tomorrow morning.



She pulled the blanket down, revealing a sleekly muscled torso. Sakura’s mind stuttered slightly, then slipped into a clinical mode as she pressed a hand to his sternum. Chakra pooled in her hand, and then spread into his sternum, closing the cracks before spreading along his ribs, mending them.



Satisfied, Sakura opened her eyes, to see that Neji had opened his. The cold, silver eyes stabbed into her, but her own eyes remained cool. Without acknowledging his conscious state, Sakura continued, pressing a faintly glowing finger to his forehead, easing his concussion.



Neither said anything as Sakura picked up one of his hands. They were badly mangled, with all the finger joints dislocated and tendons ripped. With a slight wince, Sakura saw that his other hand wasn’t much better.



“What happened?”



Neji answered dispassionately, his voice betraying none of the pain that both of them knew was ripping at him, “Torture.”



Sakura simply nodded. She had treated far too many Konoha shinobi who had been tortured on missions to be shocked. Chakra glowed softly from her fingers as she sought to transfer his pain to herself. Since she couldn’t heal him, she would at least make sure he could have a pain free sleep. She didn’t sleep much anyway.



The pain hit her full force, causing a flinch to twist her face. God, the guy had nerves of steel! The pain caused her fingers to convulse momentarily, before her iron control clamped down. With steady hands, she placed his hand down, before pressing a buzzer to call a nurse to feed him.



She had turned to leave, when Neji called out, “What did you do?”



Sakura saw him looking at his hands, relief at the absence of pain showing. Her hand spasmed slightly, and she gritted her teeth. “Just some healing, Get some sleep.”



She left room 404 at 6:30. Damn! She was going to be late home. And that meant punishment. The mask she put on every morning began to slip, as it did every night, as the stress and despair caught up with her.



He was waiting for her when she arrived home. He wasn’t happy.



“You’re late! You know you’re meant to cook dinner at 6:15!”



Sakura frowned when she couldn’t see her mother. He noticed her scan the room. “Your mother’s gone to bed. She was tired.”



That made two of them then. That complete despair swamped Sakura as she saw his belt in his hands.



“You need to be punished Sakura.”



The first blow sent her to her knees. The second one kept her there. By the sixth, she could no longer control the pain in her hands.



The pain was overwhelming. Her back where the buckle of the belt bit in was on fire, and her hands shook so hard it was as if she had lost control of them. Dimly, she was aware that she was screaming with the pain, but he continued on. Unbidden, the reason for her hands' torment rose to her mind. Sakura clung to the image of Neji’s coldly handsome face, with it’s sculpted contours and frightening eyes. It was the first familiar face she had seen in so long; she couldn’t begin to think when the last time she had seen Ino, and her new partner Tenten, or Shikamaru with his partner Shino, even Lee was too busy training with his Gai- sensei to visit anymore.



Sakura’s mind emptied until only Neji’s image stuck in her mind. She and Neji had never been particularly close; hell, today was the first time they’d ever spoken to each other. But he was familiar to her, and that was enough to drown out the nightmare. The last thing Sakura saw before she passed out was a pair of silver eyes.



*******



Neji’s eyes opened at the sound of door hinges opening. Sakura walked in, checking the notes the doctor had left at the foot of his bed. He’d been too hazed with pain and exhaustion to notice any more than her presence last night, but after a night’s sleep free of pain, his mind was sharp as ever.



She’d changed since he’d last seen her. The pale pink tresses were bound back in a heavy bun at the nape of her neck, with only a few bangs escaping to frame a face that reminded him of a china doll. Delicate, and porcelain white, with large green eyes that were heavily lashed and the colour of sea- foam. She was beautiful; indeed, for her age, she could probably give a lot of the village beauties a run for their money. But he could find no resemblance to the Sakura he’d met before. There was no animation to the face, no laughter to light the eyes. Instead, there was a disturbing emptiness, edged with an unmistakable darkness. Combined with a healing skill he’d never seen before, Neji found himself unwillingly interested by this Haruno Sakura.



Sakura pulled up a chair next to him, and gently picked up his right hand. Inwardly, Neji winced at the sight of his hand. The grass jounin who had questioned him hadn’t been the nicest person he’d met, not by a long shot. He’d been warned by the doctor that there was a chance that his hands wouldn’t be able to work the way they had before, but Neji pushed his words away and the fear they had evoked. He wanted to see what Sakura would do.



Chakra glowed around her fingers, then passed to his. Activating his Byakugan, Neji was shocked at what he saw. Thin, thin strands of chakra entered his tenketsu, wrapping around bones and slowly easing them into place whilst chakra rejoined tendon to muscle and ligament to bone. Most healing was through absorption of chakra which then sped up the healing process. Sakura however, was able to actively use her chakra as a healing tool through the tenketsu. Such control! His own was good, but no where near this, and he could locate the tenketsu. He’d never seen a jounin with this kind of control, and he’d seen a great deal.



Deactivating his Byakugan, Neji glanced at Sakura. Her pupils had dilated until only a thin ring of pale green remained, those eyes fixed on his hands. Worry creased Neji’s forehead when she remained like that for several minutes.



“Sakura?”



Her head snapped up, and in that brief moment Neji saw more than he should have. Grief, rage, hate, loneliness, and a despair so vast he could all but see her drowning in it. Then the mask slid back into place, and she smiled weakly at him before returning her attention to his other hand.



Scowling, Neji pushed away his worry. What did it matter to him what demons haunted Sakura? He couldn’t afford worry about another person, especially a weak one like her. Even though she carried enormous potential with that chakra control, and had just healed his hands with unrivalled healing ability. No! What was one lonely girl to him?



Sakura let go of his hand and stood up. She ran a glowing hand over his body, and he felt the rest of his aches and pains dissipate. She turned away, and Neji did nothing to stop her this time, simply watching her leave. Sitting up, he felt no protests from his body, and he held up his hands, flexing them experimentally. They were completely healed, not even a twinge of pain.



Seeing no reason to stay in the hospital if he was completely healed, Neji stood up and began to get dressed. However, as he slid out of the window, he could not get rid of Sakura’s despair- filled eyes. Doing his best to ignore the image, Neji walked away.



*******



The summons from Tsunade came in an hour after he had left the hospital. Quickly reading the missive, Neji allowed himself to be led by a young genin to the Hokage’s tower. He was immediately admitted to her office, and he sat down in the guest’s chair.



The Hokage’s amber eyes studied him intensely. Neji remained composed however, returning her stare with one of his own.



“Was the mission successful?”



“Yes, I was able to bring the client into the Grass.”



“And your injuries?”



“I was captured by a band of renegade grass- nin. They tried to make me talk, but I was able to escape.”



Omitted was the terror and absolute fear he’d felt, with the mind- numbing pain he’d endured. Tsunade nodded, understanding.



“You’re and excellent ninja Neji, one of the best chuunin I have in fact. But you cannot continue to work missions alone. I’m afraid that it is far too dangerous, and I will not risk you. Which is why I’m ordering you to take a partner.”



Neji stilled. “A partner.”



“Yes, a partner, another ninja whom you will work with. We already have several very successful partnerships, your old team- mate Tenten is in one with Ino, Shikamaru is with Shino and Kiba with Chouji.”



Inwardly, Neji was not happy. He would not work with anyone.



“I know this goes against the grain Neji, but you will take on a partner. It’s for your own good, and it’s also an order from me. If you don’t pick one, I’ll assign you one myself.”



Resigned, Neji sighed. He had no choice. Tsunade was as stubborn as Naruto. He wanted a worthy partner, a strong one who would complement him.



“Haruno Sakura.”



It was debatable who was more surprised at the words that came out of Neji’s mouth: Tsunade, or Neji himself. Tsunade blinked, but quickly recovered, sending a young genin to go and fetch Sakura.



Neji was silent. Why did he say her name? She wasn’t strong, and he didn’t know more about her than her name. But there was that phenomenal chakra control, and the challenge it presented. That was it. He could never resist a challenge.



The door opened, and Sakura walked in.



Sakura bowed respectfully to the Hokage, and cast a curious glance at Neji. What did they want with her? She’d healed Neji properly, so there couldn’t be any complaints. Sakura was very rarely summoned by the Hokage, and even then, it was to discuss how her duties were going.



“Sakura, how would you feel about resuming your ninja duties?”



Whatever Sakura had been expecting, it wasn’t this. “Why?”



“Neji requires a partner. He chose you.”



Again she asked, “Why? I mean, I haven’t been on mission for two years.”



“With some intensive training, you can be up to speed again. You never truly forget the ninja way, and I have every faith you can become a competent chuunin once more. I will give you and Neji one month for you to train for missions; if you accept, of course.”



Silence.



“Well, do you accept Sakura?”



Sakura closed her eyes. To go out and be a proper shinobi again… “May I have some time to think about this?”



Tsunade nodded. “Very well. We will meet back here at 8 in the morning to hear your decision.”



Bowing once more, Sakura left.



Tsunade said nothing, but was worried. Underneath the loose shirt and pants she had worn, Sakura was painfully thin, her face hollow and gaunt. She look delicate enough to break. It was high time to get her out of the hospital. A healer herself, Tsunade knew that healing constantly took it’s toll on you, to give yourself to people over and over again wasn’t easy. Sakura had been doing it for two years- it was more than time to give her a break.



But guilt was also a motivator on Tsunade’s part. Not just for letting Sakura work in the hospital for so long. Though Sakura was the best healer they had, that wasn’t the reason why Tsunade had left her. In truth, Tsunade had forgotten her. Like everyone else, Tsunade had allowed Sakura to fade to the back of her mind, and the Hokage could see what that had done to her chuunin.



She looked at Neji, his demeanor as unreadable as always. “Don’t be late for tomorrow.”



Neji left, leaving the Hokage with her troubled thoughts.



*******



Sakura’s thoughts were equally troubled as she walked homet aht night. After so long, the chance to be a ninja again was offered. She knew she had screwed up her first attempt, with her lack of dedication and obsession over Sasuke. She laughed now, to think back on how she had chased the dark- eyed boy. God, she had been foolish!



She had a second chance now. But would she take it? Could she take it?



Sakura was nothing special, she knew that. No blood-limit, no demon sealed inside her, no distinguishing abilities apart from chakra control and IQ. Like they had ever helped her. She had never been able to stop her father, had she?



Truth was, Sakura was tired. Tired of her life and the turn it had taken. She felt weary to her bones, and she so desperately wanted to give up, but cowardice stopped her from taking that final step. She wanted to be strong, she wanted to feel useful and needed- anything but a helpless victim.



Opening the front door, Sakura toed off her sandals, then headed to the kitchen. Mechanically, she went through the process of preparing dinner, whilst her thoughts continued to demand her attention.



Could she become strong? Neji was an extremely strong chuunin with the oldest blood- limit Konoha had to offer. Maybe she could grow stronger with his help.



Sakura set the table, and the time she had brought out the dishes, her mother had come to the table.



Haruno Momoni had the same pink locks as her daughter, the same delicate beauty and build. But where Sakura was a lifeless doll, her mother was a walking corpse. Sakura’s mother was dying, and it was so noticeable it hurt to look at her. Her skin was parchment white, and just as thin, showing how painfully emaciated she’d become. The petal- pink hair was limp, with lack of luster, and hung messily into sunken eyes. Sakura still had some way to go before she reached her mother’s stage, but she knew that distance became shorter and shorter all the time.



Momoni smiled weakly at Sakura. “Dinner looks lovely dear.”



Not trusting her voice, Sakura simply nodded her thanks.



They ate in silence. Watching them, an observer would have only known them as mother and daughter by appearance alone. Their behaviour showed none of the bond that normally existed between parent and child, none of the affection, intimacy or comfort.



Momoni watched her only child eat, her head bowed, and was sad. “Sakura?”



Sakura lifted her eyes. “Yes?”



Momoni struggled with the words for a moment. “How was your day?”



Surprise and suspicion flitted across Sakura’s face, nearly making Momoni cry. This is what her family had degenerated to: strangers who couldn’t have normal conversation with each other. She knew however, she was responsible for a very large part of it. If it wasn’t for her weakness, then Sakura wouldn’t be like this…



“Fine.”



Awkward silence, and neither of them resumed eating. Neither ate that much anyway. Hesitantly, Momoni reached out and placed her hand on Sakura’s where it lay on the table.



Sakura jerked her hand back as if burnt, hissing, “Don’t you ever touch me again!”



The mood of the room mutated. No longer awkward with emptiness, now it was alive, with unbearable tension as anger and loathing filled the room, emnating from the smaller female. Anger, directed towards the older, and loathing directed towards her mother, herself, the world. Everything.



Momoni’s eyes filled up, “Sakura please! I know you hate me for what I did, but I’m sorry! Can’t we-”



“You’re sorry?” Incredulity turned Sakura’s voice into a screech. “Do you think that matters at all? You being sorry changes nothing! It doesn’t make what you did any less real!”



“Sakura-”



“No! Don’t you fucking come near me!”



Sakura shoved away from the table and ran upstairs, sobbing. After what she had done, all she could say was ‘sorry’?



She slammed the door open, and fell to her knees when she saw her father sitting on the bed. Oh God, not now, please just not now.



Sakura tried to fight him off with weak hands, but Haruno Eto was an experienced jounin of Konoho, and her struggles were nothing to him. He tore off her clothes with a shocking rend, and held her arms above her head whilst he entered her with one brutal thrust, sending her screams around the room.



Lying on her bedroom floor while her father violated her, again and again and again, Sakura’s screams soon dwindled away to nothing as her mind retreated. She stared blankly up at the ceiling, the tears running down her face. There was the faintest noise, and Sakura slowly turned lifeless eyes to where her mother stood in the doorway. Crying, Mrs. Haruno watched her husband rape their daughter for an agonizing moment, before quietly shutting the door.


“Will it ever stop?”


In the night’s silence, the whispered words seemed imprinted on some intangible fabric. The words were seemingly frozen as a brief snapshot in time before they were released, dissolving into the night.


Looking at Sakura, one could be forgiven for thinking that the words had been seemingly conjured from the air. An hour after Haruno Eto had left his daughter, she still lay prone on the floor, and the moonlight cast its pale light over the girl, bleaching her features of colour, making her seem all the more doll-like in her broken state on the floor. With her inhuman stillness and unblinking, empty eyes, she was as inanimate as the bed or dresser.


“Will it?”


The words were emitted from lips that barely moved. She hadn’t moved for the past hour, but she ignored the stiffness in her joints. Why should she move? What would it accomplish her apart from more pain?


Pain.


The single constant in her life. No matter what she did, she knew that pain would eventuate.


“Will it stop?”


Ah, that question again. Sakura asked it constantly, but the answer eluded her still. Pain burned Sakura, on her face where he’d struck her, her arms where he’d cruelly restrained her, and between her legs where he’d violated. Would this pain ever stop? Sakura didn’t know, and that was what terrified her more than anything. She had this sudden vision of herself at 15, 16, 17 and beyond, and still being abused by her father.


“Please make it stop!”


Sakura didn’t know who she was asking. God, fate, herself. Anyone. But would anyone answer? That was the million dollar question, or rather, the life changing one. If no-one answered, could she live with that?


“No.”


Sakura knew the answer as well as she knew the colour of her hair. She was already dying on the inside, day by day, and she knew she didn’t have it in her to go on without ever knowing if it would ever stop.


“…please…”


This time, the words were half whispered, half sobbed. Sakura slowly sat up, then stood and half stumbled to the window. She accidentally knocked over a box standing on her dresser, and it tumbled onto the floor, spilling its contents at her feet.


Her kunais and shurikens.


The gleaming silver weapons brought Sakura to her knees. Oh God, she used to use these, on missions, where she had purpose, friends and happiness. She used these to protect herself, and those friends, and she would feel as if she had a place somewhere.


And now she had to decide whether or not to try and reclaim that place once more. Picking up a kunai, Sakura stared at its well-honed edge. Did she have the strength to try and reach for what she wanted? The shinobi’s life was a hard one, but it was lived with the knowledge that you were fighting for something more, whether is be for your village, friends, respect, honour or freedom. All of which she wasn’t worthy of.


A bitter smile twisted Sakura’s lips. How could she have thought that she was worthy of the forehead protector that lay buried deep in a drawer? She was nothing--how could she besmirch the name of shinobi?


Viciously, Sakura turned the kunai and stabbed it into her left hand. The pain was bright and oh-so-familiar, and Sakura watched fascinated as blood welled out.


In the strange shadows cast by the moon, the blood that ran over her palm was black, more so against the marble white of her skin. Pulling the kunai out, Sakura examined the sheen of blood that covered the blade, with an almost morbid curiosity. She could end all this here. Now.


Again, the blade descended, this time towards her wrist. But it never made contact. Sakura paused, the kunai barely kissing the delicate skin at her wrists.


“Do it now!”


But her hand ignored her urgings, and with a cry she hurled the kunai into a corner. She couldn’t do it. Cursing her lack of courage, Sakura cradled her injured hand as healing strands of chakra streaked around it.


And then the tears came.


*******


The next morning, Neji entered the Hokage’s office at eight o’clock. The Hokage had her back towards him as she stood staring out the window, and Neji noted that there was an unusually pensive aura to her.


Silently, he moved to the centre of the room, and waited for her to speak.


Without turning, Tsunade began, “Sakura sent word this morning.”


She gestured towards her desk, and Neji’s eyes focused on the neatly folded piece of paper lying there. At her signal, he walked over to pick up and unfold it.


Hokage-sama, Hyuuga-san,

Thank you for your gracious offer. I must however, decline.

Haruno Sakura.


Reading it, Neji was surprised to feel mild pangs of disappointment. Scowling slightly, he placed the letter back on the desk. What did he care if Sakura didn’t want to work with him?


“Haruno Sakura has not accepted.” His voice gave away nothing.


“Indeed she has.”


“Then with all due respect Hokage-sama, I request to return to my training.”


“Request denied.”


Now, Tsunade turned, and Neji found the Hokage’s usually expressive face to be unreadable.


“I told you that you would have a partner Neji. I meant it. You will not be given any new missions until you have a partner.”


Irritation briefly flashed across Neji’s features. “Fine, who is free?”


“No-one.”


“What?” Neji didn’t bother hiding his irritation now. “Shikamaru?”


“With Shino.”


“Lee?”


“With Gai.”


“Hell, Kiba?”


“With Chouji.”


“No-one?”


“Everyone is already paired up… except Sakura.” Tsunade didn’t have to wait long for comprehension to dawn in Neji’s eyes.


It had indeed clicked for Neji. “You won’t let me resume missions unless I convince Sakura to become my partner.”


Tsunade smiled brilliantly. “Exactly. Always knew you were a genius Neji.”


Neji ignored Tsunade’s sarcasm. He was too busy staring at her with exasperation. “And what if I can’t?”


“Well then, I guess you won’t be resuming ninja duties.”


She turned back to the window, and Neji gritted his teeth. He knew the Hokage--she was as stubborn as Naruto, and he knew she wouldn’t budge on this.


Well then, Sakura would just have to become his partner, whether she liked it or not.


The door slammed shut on his way out, and Tsunade allowed herself a smug smile.


*******


Sakura sat by the bed of Tokuma Shima, healing the unconscious man’s pneumonia. He was old, and his body ill- equipped to deal with the disease, and so his family had admitted him into the hospital. As wispy strands of chakra moved from her hands, his breathing grew less laboured, his face more peaceful.


Satisfied, Sakura stood up and turned towards the door. Only to bump into Hyuuga Neji.



Swallowing her gasp, Sakura narrowed her eyes at him. What was he doing here? Was he mad that she had turned him down?


“Neji, what can I do for you?”


Those silver eyes stabbed into her, but she continued to meet them.


“Why did you refuse Haruno?”


Yes, fairly mad. Though his face didn’t show it, Sakura could sense the annoyance and irritation hanging around him.


“That’s my own business.”


“What will make you reconsider?”


Sakura felt her face shut down. She was unworthy of the name shinobi, and nothing could make her taint the position.


“Nothing. There is nothing you could say or do, that would make me reconsider.”


“Oh?” Little did Sakura know, but she had all but thrown the gauntlet in his face. His annoyance dissipated as he stared into Sakura’s hard eyes, to be replaced with more predatory feelings. He loved challenges.


Challenges were made to be conquered.


Sakura’s suspicion rose when his eyes suddenly sharpened, and his aura went cold, the danger of it unmistakable.


“Very well then Haruno, if that is your choice.”


Alarm bells were ringing in Sakura’s head at his polite words, and they began to scream when he smiled a very scary smile, and moved out of her way.


Casting a last, wary look in his direction, Sakura walked out closing the door after her. What was that about? One minute he was all annoyed and then… hunter-like. Frowning, she pushed him from her mind, instead concentrating on getting to her next patient.


“So where are we going?”


Giving a strangled cry, Sakura’s hand came up and a string of chakra shot out. Neji quickly moved within her guard, and with a few touches cut off the supply of chakra to her hand.


Sakura’s eyes were now like ice when she glared at him. “What do you want Hyuuga?”


He arched one brow. “Oh, didn’t I tell you? I can’t resume ninja duties unless you become my partner.”


“And I won’t. So go.”


“Well, since I haven’t got a partner, and can’t go about my ninja duties, I think I’ll just hang around here for a bit.”


Sakura snarled, “You cannot follow me around all day, I’ll have you thrown out.”


Neji smirked. “You can try.”


Sakura took a deep calming breath and counted to ten. It worked, to a certain extent: instead of wanting to kill him, she just wanted to severely maim the arrogant Hyuuga.


She couldn’t have him thrown out, damn him--no one in the building was strong enough to and he knew it. Sakura knew he was trying to annoy her into changing her mind, but she had been on Naruto’s team and she doubted very much that Neji could be more annoying than Naruto, Kakashi and Sasuke combined.


“Fine. Follow me around; just don’t get in the way.”


Sakura ignored Neji’s smirk, and instead started off towards her next patient in room 552. With a mental sigh Sakura realized it was on the top floor. Sakura’s small smile was slightly cruel as she contemplated Neji climbing all those stairs.


They passed the first floor with no difficulty. The second floor as well. The third floor, Sakura glanced back and was disappointed to see Neji right behind her and not even out of breath.


“You better not be staring at my ass.”


A muffled sound came from him, and Sakura realized he was trying not to laugh.


“Haruno, trust me, that is the last thing on my mind right now.”


Liar, a small voice in his mind said. So he had been looking at her ass, and granted, it was very nice. And so maybe it wasn’t the last thing on his mind, but it was close.


On the fourth floor, she deliberately increased the pace, and Neji matched it, step for step. By the time they made it to the top, Sakura was openly scowling. Damn the Hyuuga for being fit.


Sakura’s pace hitched as she realized she was letting him get to her. The strong emotions he envoked in her were startling not only for her long drought of emotion, but in that she didn’t instinctively fight them.


Well, she would fight them now. Though shutting her feelings down took an effort, Sakura was an expert at the practice these days. It helped that she was at room 552, and she eagerly pushed inside.


Shinara Miki: 44 and suffering from a recent heart attack. Sitting next to her, Sakura cast a glance at Neji when he stood behind her, intruding on her personal space.


“If you could kindly step back.” She hissed.


Bowing sardonically, Neji stepped back. “As my lady wishes.”


Neji stood by the door, just idly leaning against the wall. Seething, Sakura turned around and tried to concentrate on her patient. However, the instant she reached out with her chakra, she became overwhelmingly aware of Neji’s aura. Frowning, she turned to face him as she closed her eyes, seeing with more than just her eyes. He was like a figure of silver, brightly shining, so strong it nearly hurt to sense him.


Neji looked questioningly at Sakura. Why was she looking at him with her eyes closed? “Haruno?”


Opening her eyes, Neji’s silver figure was replaced by his cold face. Ignoring his curious look, she turned back to the patient. Taking a deep breath, she pushed away the feel of this aura and raised glowing hands. Holding them over Miki’s heart, the chakra tunneled deep, strengthening cardiac muscle and clearing clogged arteries and veins. Satisfied, Sakura withdrew her chakra and opened her eyes. Quickly writing down a note for the doctor, Sakura turned for the door.


Neji was openly staring at her. Not bothering to acknowledge him, Sakura moved onto the next patient. He followed her all day, not saying a lot, but his presence and aura spoke so much louder than words, that by the end of the day, Sakura was more than ready to kick his butt.


Sakura signed out at the reception, her badly fraying control simmering. After all she’d been through, you’d think that she would be able to ignore one arrogant chuunin. But no. He would say something, do something, some subtle move that made her acutely aware of his presence.


She was out the door, and down the road when a hand tapped her on the shoulder. Whirling, she faced Neji with a snarl. “What do you want now Hyuuga? Are you going to follow me home as well?”


Neji only smirked. “No, just wishing you a good night. See you tomorrow Haruno.”


Only when he had left did Sakura indulge herself in a short, frustrated scream.


*******


Neji found himself grinning as he walked home. Today had been… enjoyable. For some perverse reason, he had found it amusing to annoy Sakura all day; it was too cute… wait, had he just thought that? Fine, he found her cute, though cute wasn’t really the word. Truth tell, she was beautiful, especially when her eyes brightened.


Though admittedly, that fire was probably an intense desire to hurt him, he found it preferable to the emptiness he’d seen before. There was something blatantly wrong with Sakura, something dark and broken, and for all his coldness, Neji felt himself responding to it.


Neji had always been good at reading people, not only because of his Byakugan which saw everything, but also simply because of an innate talent at understanding his fellow human. What he saw in Sakura disturbed him deeply. It wasn’t just the emptiness, though that alone was cause for worry. It was how close to the edge she was. He’d seen her swing from sheer blankness to utter despair and everything in between: mild irritation, subtle rage, immense annoyance, contemplative sadness; but not once had he seen happiness. All too often, when one was close to the edge, they fell off. They never came back.


Neji recognized apprehension within himself; he didn’t want that to happen to Sakura. Scowling at himself for caring, Neji considered what else he had learnt that day. Watching Sakura heal had given him much insight into Sakura’s abilities, and he grudgingly admitted that she was far stronger than he, or anyone else had ever given her credit for.


Her stamina had sharply increased: not once had she stopped during her twelve hour shift of healing. Her chakra had also grown immensely, it took a fair amount to heal each time, and Sakura had healed near a hundred people today.


And then there was that chakra control--he had never seen anything like it. Neji’s Byakugan had seen Sakura’s central chakra, and it was nothing like the blazing fire that other ninja’s had. Instead, it was a tightly compressed ball that had near hummed under its tight control. Then there had been her attempted attack. Neji thought back to the strand of chakra she had sent at him. Despite being caught unawares, her control had been perfect, the chakra responding immediately to her needs.


Neji couldn’t help but think about the possibilities her chakra control opened up. Sakura held the potential to be Konoha’s top kunoichi, Neji knew it in his bones. His cousin Hinata didn’t have Sakura’s raw power, the same went for that annoying blonde Ino, and Tenten didn’t have her control.


Sakura had that potential; Neji was sure that she had always had that potential, but no one had actually recognized. Or had wanted to. Neji’s lip curled slightly in derision.


People always wanted to see what they wanted to, didn’t they? Neji knew now that he would only have Sakura as a partner, he wouldn’t settle for less.


Now, if only she’d accept.


*******


Sakura’s father came to her that night, and with every moment of pain, she felt herself inch closer and closer to the edge.


*******


Neji was waiting for Sakura the next morning. She didn’t spare him a glance, breezing past him into the reception. So that was how she was going to play it. Oh well.


It was a repeat of yesterday, where he followed her around all day, and she tried not to lose her temper at him. The day after that was the same. By the end of the fourth day, cracks were beginning to show.


Neji frowned as she finished her last patient of the day and began to move towards the exit. She was not reacting well to his presence; if he were to hazard a guess, he would say that the prolonged contact with someone familiar was too much for her to cope. He didn’t want to push her over, and he was genuinely worried, much to his own surprise, and so he had reduced their hostilities until he was simply someone who followed her around. Something had scarred her so that she simply wasn’t accustomed to having someone there.


He was correct. As Sakura signed out, she felt Neji’s aura encroach upon hers, and she involuntarily flinched. Why was he affecting her this way? She could have nearly sobbed from the frustration, the first familiar person she sees in ages, and she had to fight from falling apart in front of him.


She’d forgotten what it was like to interact with people she knew, to maintain conversation and be friendly. Granted, she and Neji were not friendly, but the constant conversation, the presence of the same person was upsetting her already precarious balance.


Sakura’s face twisted bitterly. She was so weak, she couldn’t handle even existing with someone. Quickly, she hurried out of the door.


Neji stopped her, spinning her around. What he saw worried him. Skin clammy and pale, her eyes were wide with dilated pupils, her breath coming slightly faster than usual.


“Sakura, are you alright?”


She didn’t even feel surprise that Neji was showing concern for her. She was too caught up trying to breathe. Breathe Sakura, don’t panic. “I’m fine! Let go of me.”


He didn’t. “Sakura, you’re beginning to panic.”


“I am not!” Truly, she wasn’t. She just couldn’t breathe. His presence was near suffocating, she needed to get away from it, couldn’t let it get too close.


“Sakura, take a deep breath, and try to-”


“I am fucking breathing, damn you!” The words were half sobbed as she tried to draw in breath.


Neji’s lips tightened as Sakura desperately tugged at her arm, her breaths coming faster, eyes growing wilder. “Sorry Sakura, this is for your own good.” With two fingers he pressed the pressure point at the base of her neck. Before she knew what had happened, her eyes rolled back in her and she would have collapsed to the ground had Neji not caught her.


With a grim set to his face, Neji picked her up, bridal style, and the pair disappeared in a swirl of dust.


*******


Hyuuga Hiashi looked up from his position next to his daughter Hanabi on the floor as his nephew opened the front door. Ever since the chuunin exam, the Main and Branch houses had been assimilated, thus making the Hyuuga line whole for the first time. It had surprised many, including those within the family, how Neji and Hiashi had actually bonded, their previous animosity towards each other only making their relationship stronger.


As Neji walked through the foyer and into the family room where they sat, Hiashi noticed the unconscious young woman in Neji’s arms. Arching an eyebrow, Hiashi stood to maneuver a chair out of the way so that she didn’t hit her head.


Neji cast his uncle a wry glance. “Thanks.”


“No problem.” Hiashi’s voice was dry. “Need I ask who she is?”


Neji had started climbing the stairs towards the bedrooms. “My partner.”


“Partner?” Hanabi’s dark head peeked under her father’s arm. “Neji-kun has a partner?”


Hiashi’s youngest had also bonded with Neji, far more than he ever had with Hinata. Hanabi looked up to Neji, and frequently followed him around. Neji had been surprised to find that he didn’t mind, Hanabi was intelligent and insightful, and ever since her father’s attitude had changed, cheerful and bright.


“Yes, it appears he does.” Hiashi murmured. “Let’s go have a look at her, shall we?”


In his room, Neji laid Sakura out on his bed. She looked so still, so dead, not like she was sleeping, people moved during sleep. He checked her vitals, everything was fine. Nothing to do right now except wait until she woke up. Pulling up a chair, he sat, noticing that Hiashi and Hanabi were watching him with fascinated eyes from the doorway.


“Just come in already.” Neji rolled his eyes.


Hanabi grinned, then skipped over to where Sakura lay. “Wow Neji, she’s really pretty. How did you get her to partner with someone like you?”


Neji smiled wryly. “Very funny. She’s not yet agreed to be my partner, but she will be.”


Hiashi heard the stubbornness in Neji’s tone. “Yes, I suppose you’ll just badger her to death if she doesn’t.”


Something flashed through Neji’s eyes, and Hiashi recognized guilt. There was something deeper going on here. “Hanabi, you go down and get ready for bed, I’ll see you in your bedroom okay?”


She went unquestioningly, she had seen that something was troubling Neji as well.


Hiashi looked at his nephew, “Well?”


Neji sighed. “I have been badgering her. It drove her to a panic attack, and I had to knock her out to stop her from breaking down.”


“I see.” Indeed he did, he knew what Neji was thinking, simply because Neji was so similar to him. He knew that Neji was feeling guilt, though he’d never admit it out loud. But Neji didn’t need reassurances in that area, though he could not control his instinctual emotional reaction, he was smart enough to come to terms with the fact that it wasn’t totally his fault.


“Who is she?”


“Haruno Sakura, daughter of Haruno Eto and Haruno Momoni. 14 years of age, born on the 28th of March, currently chuunin ranked and working in the hospital as a healer.”


Silence. Then Hiashi said wryly, “That’s all very well and good, but who is she?”


Neji understood. “That’s the strange thing. I can’t figure her out fully. She used to be a rather bright, if annoying girl, one who was rather weak. But now, she’s strong, stamina and chakra wise, and her control is phenomenal. However, there is something wrong with her, she is cold, harsh and highly erratic in moods.”


“Someone hurt her.”


“Or is currently hurting her.” Neji was glad that his uncle understood so quickly. “She is very close to the breaking point, anything could tip her either way.”


Hiashi sat next to his nephew and studied the doll-like girl on the bed. “Wasn’t she the one under Hatake Kakashi?”


“Yes.”


“Didn’t Hatake leave with that Uchiha boy?”


“Yes.”


“And the other team member, Uzumaki Naruto, he left with Jiraiya, right?”


“Yes.”


“Well, there you have part of your answer. She’s been abandoned by her team.”


Neji’s mind tried to catch up. “You can’t know that for sure.”


“No? Think about it. Naruto and Jiraiya left fairly quickly after bringing Tsunade here, and they haven’t been back for more than a day. Hatake and the Uchiha left equally fast, and hardly report back to Konoha for more than a week. Sakura is the team mate thought to be the weakest, do you think they considered her when they left?”


Neji sighed. “No.” He looked at the girl on his bed. She was so still, like a porcelain doll, it frightened him somewhat how delicate she looked.


“I have to go put Hanabi to bed. Call me if there’s any problems.”


Neji nodded, and Hiashi closed the door as he left. He kept his eyes on Sakura, and soon, she lost her stillness as she began to twist and turn in what was unmistakably a nightmare.


Frowning, Neji stood and sat next to her on the bed. She twisted restlessly, and when Neji laid a calming hand on her arm, she jerked away roughly. Then the whimpers began, soft sounds of pain that pulled at Neji.


“Please, don’t leave me!”


Her tormented voice confirmed what Hiashi had said. Neji’s face hardened as he thought of how she had been abandoned. Though cold himself, he knew the value of loyalty.


“Please….don’t leave me….”


“Sakura, wake up.” Neji couldn’t listen to her cries anymore.


“No!... Why do you have to go?”


“Sakura, wake up! You’re dreaming.”


“Am I not strong enough?”


“Sakura!”


“…please…”


“Sakura!” He shook her and she came awake with a gasp.


Her eyes flew open, and she panicked as she took in the large room with rich furnishings; this was not her room! Where was she? Strong hands clamped down on hers, and she looked over to see Neji.


Neji: cold, powerful, familiar. Slowly, her panic abated, and she began to breathe normally again.


He regarded her somberly. “How long have you been alone Sakura?”


How did he know?


“I know that Kakashi, Sasuke and Naruto left you.”


“And Ino.” She whispered for her own ears, but he heard.


“How long?”


“…Two years.” Her breath caught, and before she knew it, it came spilling out. How first Naruto, then Sasuke, then Kakashi left, leaving her with no team. Even though she should have expected such a thing from Sasuke, it still hurt, and Naruto was meant to be her friend, Kakashi her teacher. Ino as well, leaving her for someone stronger.


When the flood had abated, Neji gently laid a hand on hers. “There’s something else as well.”


Taking a deep shuddering breath, Sakura nodded. “Yes, but I can’t tell you, please, don’t ask Neji. I’m not mad that you knocked me out, but you’ve caught me at a vulnerable moment, I don’t want to tell you anything that I’m not ready to tell.” She gave a shaky laugh. “Quite frankly, I’m surprised I just told you all that.”


“You needed to.” Neji said. “You’ve been bottling it up for a while, you needed to get it out.”


Sakura stared at the ninja sitting next to her. This was a different Hyuuga Neji, the other side to his intimidating ninja face. She was gripped by a yearning to take what he offered, the peace she knew she would find with him. But she couldn’t, she was too weak.


Standing slowly, she gave a weak smile. “Thank you for tonight, but I have to go now.”


“Sakura-”


“Good- bye Neji.”


“Wait-” It was too late. “…good-bye Sakura.”


Sakura quickly walked away from the Hyuuga mansion, away from what was in it. Or more specifically, away from who was in it.


Oh God, why had she told Neji all that? Wrapping her arms around her, Sakura fought not to shudder. She felt so raw, as if something had reached in deep, and on the way out scraped her very soul.


She knew it had been Neji who had reached in. He had only been close to her for the past few days though! But she knew he had managed to breach her defenses where no one else had. Damn him!


The erratic train of her thoughts dizzied her, and her walking slowed down. She pressed her palms to her temple and closed her eyes whilst taking a deep, calming breath. In, out, her breath whooshed out, and she felt some semblance of normality return to her mind. What was wrong with her? She was falling apart, and she didn’t know how to stop it. It was as if the years of abuse and loneliness had suddenly caught up with her in one fell swoop, knocking her off her feet.


Had she been someone else, she would have recognized that she had been in denial as a coping mechanism all these years, and only now did her mind deem her strong enough to bear the impact of what had happened her, for reasons she would not have been able to fathom at that point. But she wasn’t on the outside looking in, she was very much on the inside desperately trying to see light from the outside, and failing.


Resuming her pace, Sakura frowned as she thought of what she had told Neji. She had told him one of the major problems that her plagued her these two years, but thankfully, she hadn’t told him the other. Unconsciously, her face softened as she thought of the genuine concern she’d seen in Neji’s eyes. Who knew the Hyuuga had that side to him?


She, like everyone else, had seen Neji as a cold, bitter, and undoubtedly powerful ninja. One who didn’t care for people coming too close. But the last few days she had been in his presence, she had seen glimpses into the other side of Hyuuga Neji. He opened doors for her, helped her lift patients without being asked, passed her water whenever she was thirsty, though she had yet to figure out how he knew exactly when she was thirsty. So small and insignificant on their own, her observations had built up, revealing that Neji was not as emotionless as most would believe.


And then there was this afternoon. She had lost control she could admit that now. It was probably good that Neji had knocked her out, who knew what damage she could have wreaked on others and herself had she wandered off in her unstable state. She was still shocked though, at how easily she had told him of her loneliness, and it was if the words had been waiting for him.

Shaking her head at the foolishness of it all, she glanced at her watch. 6:00. She was glad she had finished her work at the hospital early today; it meant that she wouldn’t be late. Still, she kept her pace brisk as she walked home; it never hurt to be safe.


Looking down, she never noticed the large body in front of her until it knocked her on her ass. Scowling, she looked up, and saw the intimidating bulk of Zishimara Gontu. A chuunin who was one year older than her, he had been a notorious bully as a young boy, and age hadn’t changed him much.


“Haruno.” He leered, his eyes canting over her form appreciatively. “You should watch where you’re going.”


“Hn.” Had it been anyone else, Sakura would have simply apologized and walked off, but she knew what bully Gontu was.


She hated bullies.


Sakura tried to move past him but he clamped onto her arm with a massive paw. “Don’t be leaving so fast Haruno, stay and talk with me a little.”


“I don’t have time for you.”


“Aw, come on Haruno.” Gontu ran a sausage of a finger down one porcelain cheek, and she tried not to shudder. “I’m sure you could make a little time.”


“No. Let me go.”


“I could show you a good time.” His eyes darkened slightly, and Sakura recognized lust.


No, she would not be the victim this time. “What part of ‘no’ don’t you understand?”


The lust warped slightly as anger tinged it. “Come on Haruno, like you can be picky. I mean, you’re a chuunin now, but that’s as far as you’re gonna get, you might as well take what you can get.”


Sakura gasped as his words hit home. That asshole! He thought that she would never have men interested in her simply because she was weak?


“Fuck you Zishimara!”


Sakura brought a strong knee up between Gontu’s legs, followed by a surprisingly hard fist to his face. He toppled like a felled tree, and Sakura stood over him, surveying him with a mix of disgust and anger. He was so… pathetic, a bully who picked on those who were weaker because he could, in a bid to convince himself of his own strength.


Revolted, Sakura stormed home. God, she hated people like that! They were just so… so…so…


Whilst her mind tried to come up with the appropriate words for her rage, Sakura stomped up the stairs to her door, slamming it shut behind her. Sakura kicked her sandals off and headed towards the kitchen. The bastard! She hated being called weak, hated the assumptions people made about her based on her weakness.


Pots clanged noisily as Sakura’s anger continued to simmer. People like Zishimara Gontu deserved to rot in hell. Vaguely, she realized that her emotions were spiraling out of control once more, but the anger had taken over, and she had too little control to stop it.


Flicking on the stove, she banged a pot down on one of the hotplates. Sakura was muttering obscenities under her breath, when a voice interrupted her inventive cursing.


“Sakura!”


In that instant, the blood drained from Sakura’s face. Her father. How could she have forgotten about him? He hated noise, he claimed it was the only reason that he had married her mother, as she was so quiet. She knew how much he hated noise, and yet, she had been crashing around like a fishmonger’s wife.


Despite the dread that was choking her, she slowly turned to face him. His face was set in a deep scowl, his green eyes simmering with some dark emotion.


“Why were you being so fucking noisy? You know I don’t like that!”


Sakura was momentarily speechless. Was this how much control she had lost? She had allowed emotion to cloud her judgment, until she had forgotten what was in her home. How could she have let her control slip so far? She should have known better than to let emotion rule, and now she was going to pay for it.


“Well?”


“… I-I… I’m sorry, I-"


“I’m not interested in your pathetic apologies or excuses.” His hand swiped over he face, blackening her eye and causing her mouth to swell, but she barely registered it as her mind latched onto one word.


Pathetic.

Hadn’t she thought that a few minutes ago, whilst standing over Gontu? She’d thought him pathetic for picking on those weaker than him, and now, she was being picked on herself, by an even bigger bully than Gontu.


She was so foolish! For feeling emotion, anger, anger that still hadn’t quite dissipated. How she hated bullies and that included her father! How she hated herself for not being strong enough to stop him, and letting him do this.


That anger, that hate was still in Sakura’s eyes when she looked up at him and her father narrowed his eyes.


“Don’t you dare look at me that way, girl!”


Another blow, but it didn’t dim the anger or hate in her eyes. If anything, it intensified. Staring into the fire seething in his daughter’s eyes, Eto felt a rush of rage. Stupid little cunt! He’d teach her a lesson she’d never forget.


A suddenly sadistic smile twisted her father’s lips, and Sakura’s heart thumped heavily. She knew that look, and it had never boded well for her in the past. With a jounin’s speed and strength he came at her, and picked her up under the arms. She struggled, but to no avail, he was simply too strong.


Eto began moving towards the stove, and with a sickening lurch, Sakura realized what he meant to do.


“Father no! Please, please, please! Oh God, NO!”


A pain-filled scream rent the air as Eto slammed his daughter down onto the hotplates. The screams continued to come, one after another, as quickly as Sakura could draw breath, as he kept her there, her struggles proving futile.


Sakura shrieked at the hideous pain. Her buttocks and the backs of her legs were burning, the flesh itself screaming as the super-heated coils were pressed into her skin. She couldn’t bear it, the pain was immense, everywhere…


Then abruptly, he lifted her and the pain was lessened. Sakura whimpered as her skin was peeled away from the hotplates, but at least the pain was not so excruciating.


Too soon, her thoughts. Screams once more filled the house as her father jammed her back down. Sakura clawed at his arms, kicked wildly, but nothing could break his grip. Sakura’s screaming was now interrupted by great wracking sobs as it burned. Oh God, would she even be able to heal this later?


“See where anger will lead you girl? Don’t you ever look at me disrespectfully again!” Eto’s words were a harsh, sinister whisper in her ear that barely penetrated the fog of pain hazing her mind. But their meaning got through well enough.


Eto finally lifted Sakura off and dropped her in a crying heap on the floor. For a long moment, there was nothing in the air but her deep sobs and an ugly smell that Sakura realized was the scent of her burnt flesh. Eto stared down at the pitiful pile that was his daughter, before turning on his heel to leave.


Sakura sobbed, from the pain, the fear and humiliation. Where was her anger now? What good had it done her? This was one of the worst things he had done to her, and he had done a lot. The pain was mind-numbing, and as Sakura curled up as much as the burns would allow.


“Sakura?”


Momoni had waited until the chilling screams had stopped before coming out to see what had become of her daughter. She saw Sakura curled up on the floor, crying, and she felt something in her painfully constrict.


Sakura raised glassy eyes as her mother knelt by her side. She saw her mother’s hand reaching out to her and she instinctively propelled herself backwards as she remembered what had happened the last time her mother had reached out to her.


“Get away from me!”


“Sakura, you’re hurt-”


“Do you think I don’t know that? But you didn’t come until after he was gone, did you?” Sakura’s voice was still hoarse from the tears, but there was no mistaking the derision in her eyes.


Momoni’s eyes slid away a moment, as she couldn’t meet her daughter’s eyes. “Sakura, let me help you.”


“No. No, no, no, no! I don’t want your help! I don’t want anything from you mother.” The last word was hissed menacingly. Slowly, and painfully, she pulled herself up, and it was only through sheer will that she didn’t renew crying at the feel of burnt flesh nauseatingly stretching as she moved.


“You may have forgotten what you did that night, but I haven’t.” Sakura snarled, “I hope you never forget, because I sure as hell can’t!”


Momoni stood up, and for the first time in a long while, her eyes were hard. “Don’t you think I regret what I did? It plagues me everyday Sakura, and it will until the day I die.”


Slowly, Sakura shook her head. “And you think that your regret makes my pain any easier to bear. I may be weak mother, and I may be losing my sanity, but I have my intelligence, and I have eyes. Despite your ‘regret’, you have not done anything for the past two years, even though you could have. You will never come out whilst father is hurting me, only when he is finished. For all your regret, your actions make it nothing!”


Sakura’s breathing came harshly as she finished her tirade. Her spent anger left her curiously empty, and she suddenly felt so tired as she stared at her shocked mother. God, she was tired of all this.


This time, the pain didn’t even register as Sakura climbed up the stairs.


*******


At 2:00 AM, Konoha Hospital received a call for an ambulance, to the Haruno residence to pick up a Haruno Momoni, who had lapsed into a coma.


*******


6:15AM. She was late. Fighting not to scowl, Neji activated his Byakugan, searching with his enhanced vision for Sakura; still nothing. Where was she? Admitting to himself that he was worried didn’t improve his mood any, and Neji sat down on one of the benches outside the hospital entrance.


Though it was a very real possibility, Neji refused to consider that she would now avoid him. It was how people reacted after divulging personal information: there would be the evasion, uncomfortable, tension filled silences, as there was furious back-pedaling in an effort to restore distance.


Well, he wouldn’t allow that to happen. Though he had tried, Neji knew it was futile to deny that he cared for her: this girl who had been left behind by friends, and was so strong on the inside despite what people saw on the outside.


There weren’t many people that Neji cared about; he could count them on one hand. And Kami knew how much he generally disliked people, and so not many people actually got the chance to become one of his precious people. But once someone came onto the short list of people Neji cared about, they never came off. Sakura was just going to have to accept that he was here to stay, and wouldn’t allow her to hurt alone.


There was a figure approaching, and as it drew nearer, Neji saw that it was Sakura. Not realizing that relief had softened the harsh mask of his face, Neji stood, and waited for her.


Sakura paused in front of him and Neji saw that her hands shook slightly as she reached up to push the hospital doors open. His hand grasped her upper arm, and he turned her towards him. It only worried him further when she didn’t resist.


Sakura kept her face averted as the rest of her body moved towards Neji. She couldn’t face him, not after what had happened last night. She felt ashamed to even be near him; near to his strength when she was so weak.


“What’s wrong Sakura?”


She could have wept at the gentle compassion in that voice. She so desperately wanted to latch onto the security promised in his voice, but she wouldn’t be a burden to those she cared about again.


Her mind stopped. Did she care for Neji? Despite her best efforts to push him out of her mind, the answer was painful in its clarity: yes.


“Sakura?”


Neji was shaking her gently, and Sakura realized that he had been calling her name for quite some time and that she had drifted off. Blinking, she reached to pull Neji’s hand off her shoulder, before moving towards the door.


“I’m fine Neji.”


He wouldn’t have believed the words had they have come from the Hokage herself, but he said nothing and simply followed her in. There was a time to push, and a time to stand back; Neji knew fully the distinction between the two, and with Sakura, he had to be especially careful.


She took notably more time to heal patients today. Neji’s activated Byakugan tracked over her as he stood near the door. Her control was impeccable as always, but her central chakra had been dimmed somewhat. She’d been using chakra last night, but for what?


As Sakura went into another patient’s room, Neji stopped as his attention was caught by the name tag on the room next door: Haruno. Frowning, Neji pushed the door open. A woman lay on the bed inside, and Neji saw that if she wasn’t dead already, she was so close to it that you could barely tell the difference. Machines worked alongside her, monitoring her weak heart, shallow breathing-their beeps the only true indication of life.


Approaching the side of the bed, Neji saw that the hair that was spread over the pillow was a familiar shade of pink. Looking at who had to be Sakura’s mother, Neji soon noticed that there were more similarities between Sakura and her dying mother than what was comfortable.


A mask was over Mrs. Haruno’s face to help her breathe, but Neji could see that Sakura’s delicate beauty had come from her mother. But that beauty was haggard in an almost skeletal face covered by paper-thin skin.


Was this what Sakura had at home?


“She has cancer.” Neji turned to see Sakura in the doorway. Sakura had finished healing to find Neji gone, and so had followed the feel of his aura to this room. “She fell into a coma last night.”


Neji said nothing as Sakura came closer to the bed. Unsaid were Sakura’s feelings, details of what happened, why this had happened. She stopped a metre away, as if she couldn’t bear to be any closer, and the look on her face confirmed that.


Sakura couldn’t help the emotions that spurted through her at the sight of her comatose mother. Anger, hate, guilt, rage: a whole cacophony of feeling that had her walking out, unable to bear it.


Still saying nothing, Neji followed.


A Sakura continued to heal throughout the day, her steps became slower, movements sluggish, as fatigue and something else that Neji had yet to identify caught up with her. Cursing, Neji picked her up bridal style and marched towards the staff kitchen.


“What the hell? Hyuuga Neji, you put me down this instant!”


Ignoring her yells and indignation; they were only half-hearted anyways, Neji pushed the kitchen doors open and walked past the shocked nurses and doctors taking their lunch breaks.


Finding an empty table, he sat her down, “You are going to eat.”


Sakura glared at him. “The hell I am.”


Leaning in close, Neji pinned her with his silver eyes. “You are, or I’m going to force it down your throat. You are tired and low on chakra, not in the least helped by your foolish need to run yourself ragged. You will eat something.”


“Why do you give a damn Neji?”


It was her tone of voice that had Neji pausing. It was so… tired. Exhausted even. In response, his voice gentled, “Because I care Sakura. More than I want to, I care.”


Sakura stared after him as he went to go and grab their lunches. He cared…about her? Her mind was still struggling to absorb it when he returned with two bowls of noodles.


Neji got stuck into his food right away. Damn it, he hadn’t wanted to her to know this early on. He was Hyuuga Neji, and that meant that whilst he was fiercely protective about those he cared about, those people rarely got acknowledgment that he cared.


Sakura stared into her bowl of noodles, then picked up the chopsticks and began to mechanically eat. Her mind was too full to focus on her food.


How could Neji care for her? She thought of what she had been, last night, curled up on the kitchen floor and crying in pain. Such a weak and pitiful being, how could Neji care for that? Her eyes slid to him, eating his noodles. He looked up, sensing her gaze, and her eyes skittered away.


Sakura concentrated fiercely on her noodles, ignoring Neji’s inquisitive look. He finally looked away, and Sakura began to breathe once more. She didn’t know if she had it in her to open up to someone again, she wasn’t sure if she was strong enough.


Within the next few seconds though, Sakura’s musings were cut short as it became abundantly clear that Sakura had much more pressing issues to worry about.


Screams filled the air, long and pain-filled, jerking Neji and Sakura out of their seats. Sakura’s face went pale at the sound, it was so familiar. Neji noticed her sudden paleness and grabbed her shoulder fiercely.


“Sakura, you need to pull yourself together for now! You need to be strong for whatever’s happened, even if only for a moment.”


He was right. When she nodded, Neji activated his Byakugan, letting it sweep the hospital. His jaw gritted when he saw two missing-nins in the operating ward, having broken through the wall. He noted another two in the overnight wing next to it, and finally, two in the children’s ward. He made the decision.


“Sakura, you’re going to have to fight.”


She didn’t look at him, but he continued on.


“There are four missing-nins in the west wing. I will go after them, whilst you will go and stop the two in the children’s ward. Can you do it?”


Sakura stopped breathing for a moment as she contemplated his words and their import. Could she fight? She was a weakling, someone who had never been able to fight for herself, and had always had to rely on the protection from others. But what about her patients? They were just as weak, if not weaker than her, and she knew that in the children’s ward there were some who could barely stand, let alone run away.


She raised cold eyes to his, and he knew that she would. Even though it would cost her. She was not ready for fighting again, and her mental state was far from stable. But maybe in a way, it would help her.


Sakura gazed at Neji for another second, before turning to push her way through the panicked doctors and nurses. The children’s ward was in the east wing, just around the corner, and once out the kitchen doors, she could hear the cries of children.


She didn’t falter now. The hospital was under attack from missing-nins, and she, although most would rather forget it, was a chuunin of Konoha. She entered the children’s ward at a dead run, only to be stopped dead.


As the doors swung closed behind her, a picture of carnage lay in front of her. The wall had been blown apart, opening the ward out to the sunny spring day and the cheerful sunlight that shone in was somehow inappropriate for the scene. Beds had previously lined the wall, some holding children, some not. Those beds now littered the floor in various states of wreckage, and the children who had lain in them...Sakura had to stifle a cry as her horrified eyes tracked over the bloodied bodies, so lifeless, many of them not whole.


Children continued to run past her, snapping her out of her daze. Sakura honed in on the two nins standing at the end of the ward, both laughing.


One held a small boy in his grip.


Sakura hated bullies. She hated how they picked on those weaker than themselves, and especially hated how they inflicted pain simply because they could. Maybe that’s why she saw red when the nin tightened his grip on the boy’s neck, making him cry out with pain and turn blue as his air supply was cut off.


…Or maybe she had just had enough.

She didn’t bother warning them or calling out, what would be the point? They would simply laugh and insult, wasting time for the boy. Chakra shot from her hands with deadly accuracy, striking both in the neck.





“What the fuck?”





The taller one dropped the boy as his hands feel limply to his sides. The boy hit the floor with a dull thump, and just sat there for a moment coughing as he finally got air back into his lungs. Then he saw Sakura, and realized what had happened, so he stumbled to his feet and ran for all that he was worth.





Sakura held the chakra strings in place. She was lucky they had been distracted, and so hadn’t noticed the small, but effective chakra threads. They hadn’t blocked the strands, allowing for her to stab the pressure points in the neck, thus paralyzing them from the neck downwards.





“Hey bitch, let us go!”





She ignored them, and only concentrated on holding them in position. She urged the remaining children to get out; she didn’t have to do more than to stop the nin from doing more damage, until Neji or extra help arrived. It would have worked too, if there hadn’t been another nin waiting as back-up.





Too late, she sensed the presence behind her. A strong kick sent her to the floor, and the other two nin were released.





“Well, look here, the little girl wants to play with us.”





Sakura glared balefully at the three nin that now faced her. Fuck. She was outnumbered, and outclassed in strength, speed and skill. But still, she stood up. She had been hit too many times before to stay down, and this time, she wasn’t going down without a fight.





“Get rid of her quick. We still have to destroy the rest of this pitiful hospital.”





Taking a deep breath, Sakura went still, as her awareness expanded and adrenaline coursed through her veins. It had been so long since she had engaged in combat but you never lost the feel of it.





Sakura knew she was outclassed in strength, speed and skill. The difference was almost laughable. Her father’s cruel laughter resounded in her head, but she pushed it away. She would fight anyway, for her patients, and in a way, for Neji. But most importantly, for herself.





“Well girl, you’ve got guts, I’ll give you that.”





Sakura didn’t reply, and they didn’t give her the chance to think about anything else but combat. They disappeared, and Sakura immediately threw up her arms to block a bone-jarring blow. She couldn’t block the hit to her stomach though, or the kick that swept her feet out from under her. She quickly performed the kawarimi no jutsu, and a pillow form one of the beds hit the floor instead of her.





“Hey, where’d she go?”





“Come out little girl, wherever you are. It’s only a matter of time, after all.”





Sakura crouched behind one of the overturned beds, silently cursing. This was far from good. She was suppressing her chakra so that they wouldn’t be able to sense it, and she could almost see her chakra forcing itself in—but she couldn’t maintain it indefinitely.





She needed a plan, and she needed one fast. Her mind shifted frantically, and an idea hit her. Quickly running it through, she knew she could pull it off, and her hands began to flow through the set of seals that formed a certain blonde’s trademark jutsu.





Shadow clones popped up, one in each corner. At the same time, Sakura came out of her hiding place, making sure that she was noisy as well as releasing her chakra.





The plan worked beautifully. The nin focused their attention towards Sakura, and the flare up of her chakra hid the appearance of the clones. The nin came towards her, and into the centre of the room. Perfect.





The clones reacted instantly to her commands. Thin ropes of chakra shot from the hands of all four clones, and they formed an intricate web around the three nin.





“What the fuck? Shit, I can’t move!”





The original Sakura stood up straight. The three shinobi were bound together in a tight web of chakra that spanned the entire room in criss-crossing blue. As long as she could will it, it would hold. Hopefully. This technique required massive amounts of control, and with it being performed through four shadow clones, Sakura’s control was stretched to its maximum. She held though, and urged the remaining children in the ward to leave.





She heaved a small sigh as the last child left. Now she just had to wait until Neji or some other form of back-up arrived. A small cry caught her attention, and she looked down to see one of the broken bodies on the floor open her eyes. It was a small girl, and her legs had been blown off, leaving only bloody stumps.





Sakura’s stomach threatened to heave, and in that split second when her mind reeled back, a single strand of chakra broke. That was all it took.





The strength of the web, increased exponentially due to its structure, weakened with the breaking of the web. The three nin took the chance, and broke through the remaining web with outbursts of chakra. They quickly dispatched her clones, and before Sakura knew it, they were facing her once more.





Fool! She berated herself for losing control. She knew she wouldn’t get another chance to trap them, now that they wouldn’t underestimate her. She tried desperately to clear her mind, to search for an option, but her mind kept drifting back to the girl by her feet.





The nin came at her, and this time, Sakura wasn’t fast enough. The blows rained down on her, from everywhere as they surrounded her in a circle. She couldn’t help but utter a cry when she felt the sharp pain of a kunai slicing along her skin, and she felt cuts open up all over her soon after. She was mockingly pushed from each nin to the next, and each one left a mark on her.





She lost count of the punches and kicks, the stinging cuts inflicted by the kunais, and when she thought she couldn’t possibly bear it any further, she was sent sprawling on the floor. For a long, long moment, she just lay there, considering just giving up. But still, she opened her eyes.





“Shit, she doesn’t know when to die, does she?”





A rough hand yanked Sakura up by her shirt and she opened swollen eyes to look at one of the nins. He leered at her, and she spat in his eye.





“Little cunt!”





His kunai flashed up and she instinctively turned her face away. Instead of slashing her face, the blade caught at the net she wore over her heavy bun, tearing it and setting her hair loose.





Long, pink hair streamed down her back, until it stopped at her knees. Sakura cried out as it tumbled out, in shame and fury. Her hair was her one and only vice, the only thing that remained of the old her. She always bound it back though, she would not let the world see this soft, feminine aspect of her, and she was ashamed to have it out, but also infuriated that these men dared to reveal it.





She kicked out, and landed a solid blow to the nin’s stomach. He dropped her on an expelled rush of air, and she immediately tried to get away. But a rough hand grabbed Sakura by the hair, and she winced at the stinging in her scalp. The situation was so familiar, and the sense of déjà vu was overwhelming. She couldn’t help but think back to the last fight where she had been restrained by her hair, there wasn’t much difference between then and now, was there? Outclassed by three enemies, weak and without aid, and yet, still trying to protect something important.





She would not however, be able to pull the same move that she had back then though. The sharp edge of a kunai was pressed to her neck, and a moment later, she felt the slow slide of blood as the blade broke through the skin. She would not be able to cut her hair off to free herself, as the kunai would very effectively halt any movement, added to the fact that she didn’t happen to have a kunai handy.





“Pitiful really. Is this all Konoha has all to offer?”





Through blackened eyes, Sakura had a narrow view of one of the nin bending down, and picking up something. He straightened and she gasped. It was the girl who had lain by her feet earlier.





Sakura tensed, and the kunai was pressed harder against her throat. The nin laughed as the girl clawed weakly at the hand that clutched at her neck. From Sakura’s position on her knees, she could see with awful clarity, the raw meat that remained of the girl’s legs.





“Now watch carefully, little kunoichi, and see what happens when you’re too weak to protect those who rely on you.”





A kunai appeared in the ninja’s hand, and to Sakura’s horror, he drove it into what remained of the girl’s legs. Blood sprayed out, painting Sakura’s face red, and the girl screamed, a high-pitched wail of pain that tore at Sakura.





Viciously, the ninja twisted the blade, before pulling it out and stabbing again and again. Not once did the girl stop screaming, but her cries only seemed to spur him on.





Sakura could feel the girl’s blood mixing with her own, but her mind was too shocked to feel disgust. It was all so surreal. She could hear her father’s laughter coming out the nins’ mouths, her screams coming out of the girl’s.





Sakura didn’t know that under its coating of blood, her face was ghost white, her eyes glassy and wide. She couldn’t turn away, couldn’t close her eyes against what was happening. Everything seemed to slow down for Sakura, every sense heightened to an electrifying degree. She watched, aghast, as the kunai was driven into the girl’s stomach, followed by an infinitely small pause. Then, a violent jerk, and the blade was ripped out, nothing like its smooth, powerful entry. Sakura could hear the shocking rend of flesh, the splatter of blood as it hit the floor, just as clearly as she could smell the blood: dark, with the slight tang of something metallic.





The girl now resembled a bloody pincushion. Soaked in blood and coated in wounds, she no longer bore any traces of the innocence she was meant to have.





It was too much.





Sakura snapped.





With a wild, feral cry, Sakura pushed at the arm holding the kunai to her throat with rage-filled strength. Spinning in a tight circle, she took advantage of his surprise and plucked two kunais from his weapons pouch and brought one up in a violent upward slash.





Stepping back, she had no compassion in her eyes as she watched his life bleed out from his severed jugular. Turning, she faced the second nin, and threw one of the kunai. He had noticed her though, and dodged easily.





He smirked. “Is that it?”





A dark smile curled her lips, and she jerked her hand. Too late, he noticed the string of chakra attached of her hand, and he turned only to have the kunai embed itself between his eyes.





The last nin moved to face her, the little girl still gripped in his hand.





“Put her down.” Sakura couldn’t recognize her own voice: it was a harsh, ugly sound.





In response, he crushed her throat.





Sakura watched as the blood bubbled from the girl’s lips, a strangled gurgling the only noise heard. Already over the edge, Sakura fell with the girl’s body.





Neji ran towards the children’s ward. ANBU had finally arrived at the west wing once he had taken care of the missing-nin, and he had been berating them for lack of response time when he had heard an inhuman scream vibrate through the hospital, followed by a massive burst of chakra.





Something had happened to Sakura; he knew it. Neji knew what her chakra felt like, it was a strong, distinctive white, and the flare of chakra had been that white, so sharp it bordered on mind-splitting.





Neji pushed through the doors to the children’s ward, and his steps faltered. Eyes wide, he slowly walked forward, letting the doors swing shut behind him.





The walls would have been white once, he quite distinctively remembered them being hospital white. Not anymore. They were painted a chilling red, the hue of someone’s lifeblood. There was so much of it, all over the walls. He didn’t know if they would ever be able to be white again--he’d never seen so much blood in his life.





As Neji moved forward, he had to step over small bodies, and his heart tightened as he saw the faces, forever young in death. So much potential, so much unexplored life, cut short, never to be regained.





Where was Sakura? Panic gripped him when he didn’t immediately see her, but when he spotted her in the corner, the panic didn’t abate.





He didn’t recognize her at first. She was huddled in on herself, facing the corner and covered by a blood-drenched cloak. It took a moment to realize that it wasn’t a cloak: it was her hair. You could barely see any traces of pink in the blood-heavy mass, it was so long that it trailed the floor and shielded her from the rest of the room.





Neji walked closer, and saw that she had something cradled to her chest. Very slowly, he knelt by her side; she didn’t turn or even acknowledge his presence. Neji laid a hand on her shoulder, and again, there was the same lack of response.





Neji gripped her shoulder and turned her to face him. If Neji had any doubt about his feelings for Sakura before, they were shattered in the emotion that drowned him upon seeing Sakura’s face.





Gently, he brushed back the curtain of red-stained hair that curtained half of her battered face. Anger beat at him as he took in the black eyes, slashed skin and swollen mouth. Like everything else in the room, her face was layered in blood, and the patches of white skin that he could see seemed to be all the more white underneath its macabre paint.





Neji’s gaze dropped to what she held in her arms, and he had to fight the rage that clouded his vision. He was sure that is had once been a living, innocent girl, But he couldn’t see it, couldn’t see beyond the mangled corpse riddled with wounds. Neji had to force down bile when he saw that she had no legs.





“Sakura?”





Neji shook Sakura gently, but she continued to stare listlessly into nothing. Fear began to worm its way into his stomach. He shook her again, with more force this time, but she remained as unresponsive as a doll.





“Sakura!”





Still, no movement, and Neji tipped her head up with one slim finger. Through the bruising, he could make out slits of green, and what he saw confirmed his worst fears. She had snapped, finally fallen over the edge. Those eyes were so empty, so broken; and Neji’s silver eyes stared deeply into them, only to find chaos and wilderness behind the broken gate.





It was all so dark for Sakura. Vaguely, she was aware of her surroundings and the pain from her wounds, but she was too busy looking inwards to notice.





Silence. It was so blissful and abundant inside. Sakura wanted to sink into it, sink until she was buried so deep her eyes wouldn’t open. She was already halfway in and going further, when something stopped her.





Something silver.





Wait, make that two silver some things. A pair of silver eyes. Sakura frowned, and tried to pull away from them, but they wouldn’t let her go. Damn them! All she wanted to do was close her eyes.





She was tired of this. She hurt so much and no-one cared; no-one wanted to. With a somewhat desperate air, she turned back to those silver eyes. Did they care? Was that why they wouldn’t let her go? Sakura had been hurt too many times by those she cared for, and it had made her more than suspicious of any affection shown towards her. But instinctively, she knew that the silver eyes were different. They wanted her to stay with them.





In an act of trust more colossal than she could comprehend, she turned and stepped towards those silver eyes.





Neji’s breath caught as he saw something stir in Sakura’s eyes. Ever so slowly, they widened, revealing the life that filled them, and with it, memory and realization as Sakura came back to herself.





Sakura blinked as she regained her bearings. Then she caught sight of where she was, and she looked down at the girl she held in her arms.





“Oh my God! Oh my God! How could they? The bastards!” She tried to hold the girl closer to her, but firm hands gently pried her from Sakura’s grasp and laid her down.





“She’s dead Sakura, there’s nothing more you can do for her.”





“No.” Feebly, she protested and tried to reach out for the girl, but Neji held onto her hands and instead drew her to him.





“You need to let her go.”





“No!” Sakura’s voice was thick with tears as she clutched at Neji’s shirt, her bloodied fingers staining the white material. “I didn’t even know her name Neji! I couldn’t protect her, I couldn’t stop them-”





She began to sobs, and Neji held her as she told him what had happened. From the start when she’d walked through the doors, to the end when she’d torn the last missing-nin apart with chakra—the reason for the blood-painted room. She told him about the girl, the fighting, the pain, and Neji held her throughout it all.





Sakura wound her arms around Neji and held on as if she’d never let go. She didn’t care anymore if it was weak; she was so tired of being alone, and Neji was strong enough for the both of them. Hadn’t she earned just one person to lean on?





Neji slid one arm around her back, the other under her knees and lifted her up. He was taking her away from here. Turning though, he came face to face with masked ANBU members.





“What do you want?” Neji’s voice was chilly as he narrowed his eyes at the ANBU. It had taken them long enough to arrive, now what the hell did they want?





The leader, a tall jounin with the mask of a hawk, inclined his head before speaking. “Hyuuga-san. We’re sorry, but we need Haruno-san.”





Neji’s hackles immediately rose. “Why?”





“The Captain of the ANBU has ordered it so, for her healing skills.”





“No.” If Neji’s voice had been chilly before, icicles near dropped off each word now. “She is in no condition to heal.”





“She is alive Hyuuga-san, and that is the only requirement. I am truly sorry, but the Captain of the ANBU has ordered this, and we must obey.”





Neji took a step backwards with a glare. “You cannot force her to heal people.”





“Yes we can, I’m afraid.” One of the others pulled off a lion’s mask, and Neji recognized Yamanaka Inoshi, Ino’s father. Neji then realized what they planned to do.





“No. You cannot enter her mind and force her to heal. It is so unethical I cannot believe you are even contemplating it.”





Inoshi nodded sadly. “Believe me Hyuuga-san, I would not do it if it hadn’t been the Captain’s orders.”





“She kicked your daughter out of her head before, what makes you think you can succeed.?”





“Ino is only a genin, and I am a jounin. Also, as you pointed out, I don’t think Sakura is in any condition to stop me”





“So Hyuuga-san, please give Haruno-san to us.”





The gathered ANBU waited as the Hyuuga went still. All were struck at that moment at the image they presented. The coldly handsome boy standing tall and strong as he protectively held the girl. She was covered in blood, wounds liberally decorating her person, and that hair: so long, and a death red colour that forcibly reminded just what she had gone through. She had pressed herself tightly against the boy, and he held on just as tightly.





Neji saw no other option: he ran. But the odds were far from in his favour. He was already tired from battle, he was carrying Sakura, and he was running from ANBU. He’d barely taken three steps when arms pinned him back and hands pulled Sakura from his hold.





The instant they took her from Neji’s touch, Sakura came to life again.





“No! No! NEJI!”





Her struggles were restrained by the ANBU, the only nominal difficulty they had was trying not to aggravate her injuries further.





“What the fuck is this? Can’t you even manage two chuunins?”





Neji’s head came up as the Captain of the ANBU walked in. Zishimara Saeki. Tall and heavily built, with fair hair and icy blue eyes, Neji realized that he knew him Zishimara had tried to marry his son into the Hyuuga line, approaching Hiashi for Hinata’s hand to Gontu. He had however, been refused. Neji remembered Hiashi saying that Saeki was an extremely powerful shinobi, but not an admirable specimen of humanity.





Saeki saw Neji, and froze slightly, before walking over. Neji activated his Byakugan, and smirked evilly when Saeki tensed up at the appearance of veins around Neji’s eyes. So Saeki was still a little sore about his refusal.





Saeki turned away from Neji and barked out orders to the ANBU holding Sakura. “Take the girl out to the back, and get her to heal my son.”





A fine red haze clouded Neji’s vision at Saeki’s words. So that was the reason for fetching Sakura—to heal his son. Neji strained against the arms holding him, “You sick fuck.”





Saeki stilled. “What did you call me, boy?”





“You sick and twisted fuck. You’re going to force a near dead girl to heal that joke you call a son.”





Saeki walked over to Neji and drove a hard fist into the Hyuuga’s stomach. Whilst Neji tried to draw air back in, Saeki grabbed his head by the hair and jerked his eyes up to his. “You Hyuugas think you’re above us, don’t you? Stupid boy. I am Zishimara Saeki, Captain of the ANBU, and I shall do whatever I wish.” He gestured to the ANBU holding Neji. “Take him home.”





“No!” Neji struggled, but was easily dragged out. “Sakura!”





“Neji? Neji! NEJI!” Sakura tried to break free, to see that familiar face, anything of the other chuunin. She needed Neji, she couldn’t think with so many uncaring strangers around. “Neji! NEJI!”





Hyuuga Hiashi padded down the hallway at the insistent knocking. He opened the door, then allowed himself to blink as he saw four ANBU holding his struggling nephew.





“What is the meaning of this?”





After the story was heard out and Neji released, Hiashi gave a parting message to the ANBU.





“Tell your captain that he will regret his actions of today.”





The four ANBU nodded, silently pitying their captain. Hyuuga Hiashi was not someone any of them would have willingly crossed.





Hiashi turned to Neji, who’s eyes near burned with anger. “Where is she now?”





Neji didn’t bother looking back as he set off. “The hospital. I’m going to get her back.”





Following, Hiashi murmured, “I never doubted it.”



Sakura wanted to scream, shout, curse, cry; anything that would free her from the strong hands of the ANBU. Instead though, she did nothing. She felt so drained—it was as if her plug to the energy that had pushed her earlier had been abruptly pulled, leaving her without spark. As if that was any different to how she normally was.


Vaguely, in the back of her mind, Sakura realized that she had pushed her mind and body to the limit today, and so they had switched off as a survival mechanism, but she was too focused on other things.


Like Captain Saeki. He led the way through the damaged hospital, marching through the cracked hallways with their crumbling plaster, missing chunks and other such signs of the recent battle. They finally reached the back of the hospital, a large green expanse with paved footpaths where patients could meander and breathe in the fresh air. Now, however, the patients were using the garden for a different purpose. All the injured had been laid out, at least a hundred of them, doctors and nurses moved from patient to patient, but there were simply not enough of them. Doctors, nurses, injured patients: all forming a haunting scene of damage and pain as they went about their work, healing, or being healed. Sakura couldn’t tear her eyes away from the injured--some stared listlessly into space, others moaned in pain. All of them sought her out with their eyes as Captain Saeki led her to the far end of the garden


His son lay there. Sakura recognized him, and had to fight a bitter laugh. Zishimara Gontu. She should have known. She didn’t know what he was in hospital for, but he had obviously been caught during battle, and had extensive injuries; but only of a moderate kind. Nonetheless, she would not heal him


To her great surprise, Sakura felt something awaken in her at this resolution. She knew she was weak, how could she possibly forget? But she hated bullies, she hated people like Gontu. She would not heal someone like Gontu, who would simply go on, hurting others simply because he could. With a hidden strength that she had dredged up from God knows where, she vowed that she would not heal Zishimara Gontu.


“Heal him.”


Sakura said nothing.


“I said heal him.”


Again, nothing.


“You little bitch!”


Saeki grabbed the front of her shirt, and lifted until she was forced to stare into cold, blue eyes.


“You will heal him, do you understand me? I can show you pain like you’ve never felt before, pain so bad you’ll beg me to kill you just to make it stop. So for the last time, I’m ordering you to heal him!”


That tiny scrap of strength from earlier hardened and grew. Sakura let it; let it grow and take root as she stared at Saeki with bitter, green eyes. She had just fought, for the first time in two years, against four missing-nin no less. She had been badly hurt, and had witnessed one of the most brutal things she had ever seen or even heard of in her life. She had been pushed over the edge, only to be pulled back, and have her source of strength wrenched away from her. And now he wanted her to heal his bastard of a son?


There was a saying, that Kakashi-sensei had once told them, and it had never really made sense to Sakura. Until now.


“That which does not kill you, will only makes you stronger.”


It hurt to be strong without Neji there, but you had to make do with what you had.


“No.”


Surprise flitted over Saeki’s face at her harsh whisper. “What do you mean, ‘no’?”


“I will not heal him.”


“I can make you heal him bitch.” He barked out, “Inoshi!”


The blonde jounin stepped forward. “Yes, Zishimara-sama.”


“Enter her mind.”


“You don’t want to do that.” Sakura turned to face Inoshi, and he involuntarily took a step back. Staring out of that mask of blood, her eyes contained such…darkness and pain. Inoshi stared into the shadows that haunted those green eyes, and he knew without a doubt, that he did not want to enter the girl’s mind.


“Well, what are you waiting for?”


Despite his severe misgivings, Inoshi closed his eyes and formed the necessary seals. With a jolt he felt his consciousness leave his body and hurtle forwards towards Sakura. Inoshi felt his mind touch hers, and it felt as if dark wisps had reached out to wrap around his mind. With horror he felt her mind near sucking his in, into something dark and deep. Shouting, he jerked his mind away with all his strength, and his consciousness returned in a rush.


Inoshi fell to his knees, panting. Kami, what was in that girl’s mind? No-one should have a mind that dark. There was something seriously wrong with Haruno Sakura, and Inoshi would not go into that mind.


“Inoshi! What are you doing?”


“I’m sorry sir, but I cannot enter her mind.”


“What? I gave you a direct order, Inoshi!”


“I know sir.” Inoshi knew he would be punished, but he didn’t care; he would not enter that girl’s mind.


“Get out of my sight!” Saeki dismissed Inoshi with a snarl, then turned his attention back to Sakura. She stared back at him coolly, and his frustration rose at this girl, who was meant to be weak. In frustration, he tightened his grip on her shirt, and began to shake her, “Listen up you stupid bitch, you will heal him and-”


Saeki’s words were cut off when something hit his back, and intense pain erupted throughout his spine. Spluttering blood, he dropped Sakura and fell to his knees. He was spun around, and all he could see was glowing blue before a fist slammed into his chest.


Why did it hurt so damn much? It was just punches, they shouldn’t hurt like this! Like his internal organs had been pummeled within an inch of their life. Wait…the only people who had this kind of attack were…


“That’s enough Neji!”


Neji stood over the convulsing Zishimara. Tsunade’s words stopped him from continuing his blows, but his hands still glowed, ready to attack with the jyuken if the opportunity presented itself. Saeki stared up at him; how dare he be beaten by a chuunin! Neji returned his glare, and the intensity of those Byakugan eyes made Saeki shiver.


Sneering contemptuously at the ANBU captain, Neji turned to Sakura. She was standing, and though her knees threatened to give out, sheer will kept her upright. Neji was there by her side, and she stared at him with something like wonderment on her face. She had vowed not to heal Gontu, and that vow had held. Strength had somehow been found, and Sakura had briefly stood on her two legs. But most importantly, Neji had been there to make sure her strength was supported, and he would be there by her side should that strength ever falter.


Sakura knew she still had such a long way to go, her wounds were not ones that could be healed in a single, significant moment, and that healing would be a long, gradual process. But that didn’t matter right now. What mattered was that for the first time ever, she wanted to heal. She looked up at Neji, and she knew he saw, and understood.


The Hokage averted her eyes from the two chuunin. The moment was too private to be watched, and she almost felt like an intruder in the face of such an intimate bond.


She couldn’t believe the two had come together so closely, and in such a short amount of time too. It was almost like fate, though Tsunade knew Neji balked at that word. It was almost miraculous though, the change in Neji. His gaze softened whenever he looked at Sakura, the rage they had witnessed when he had hit Saeki; all were amazing coming from the cool and composed Hyuuga. And then there was Sakura herself, no longer so close to the edge—you could see it, even under the blood and injuries.


Tsunade made a decision. She knew Sakura’s mother was still comatose, and her father had just left for a mission that morning in Sand. Sakura was in no condition to stay at home alone, and who better to take care of her than the Hyuugas?


“Hiashi, Neji. Take Sakura home, I’m making her a ward of the Hyuugas until her father comes back.”


Sakura and Neji turned thankful eyes to the Hokage, and Tsunade had to smile. This is why she had become Hokage: to try and put some happiness into those who depended on her. But she had to deal with those who made her people unhappy as well.


“Captain Saeki, you will report to my office at 7:00AM, and we will discuss your actions of today.”


He had no choice but to leave.


Tsunade turned around to face the damaged hospital, the injured people lying over the grass. Time to deal with the most unpleasant of a Hokage’s duties. She was about to move when she saw that Hiashi, Neji and Sakura were still there. “Kami, would you lot go home already?”


“Hokage-sama.” It was Sakura who spoke, and Tsunade turned in surprise at hearing her talk. “I can help you heal.”


Tsunade’s eyes wandered over the battered girl, the best healer Konoha had to offer, even better than herself. Smiling softly, she swept a hand over Sakura’s bruised and battered form, healing her. “No, Sakura. You’ve done enough here today. Go and rest, you’ve earned it”


“…thank-you, Hokage-sama.”


Tsunade watched the young kunoichi disappear in a cloud of smoke as Neji and Hiashi teleported her away. Then she turned to the ANBU by her side. “Call all shinobi currently in the village. We’re going to need all the help we can get.”


*******


The sun was barely setting when Neji carried Sakura into the Hyuuga household. She had fallen asleep, the events of the day finally exacting its toll on her


Hiashi eyed his nephew as he carried his partner upstairs. “Call if you need help.”


Neji just turned to nod before disappearing into his room.


Hiashi smirked. HE knew Neji would be able to take care of her adequately, and even if he couldn’t, he would refuse help anyways. He was always like that when it came to his treasured things.


Neji gently laid Sakura down in a chair and contemplated what to do. She desperately needed rest, but she couldn’t rest in her condition. Though Tsunade had healed her, Sakura’s skin, clothes and hair were still encrusted with blood. Neji picked her up as he made a decision, and carried her into his adjoining bathroom.


Setting Sakura down on the stool next to the mirror, Neji stripped off his shirt and shorts, leaving him in black boxers. He quickly unwound the bandages from his right side, then pulled the hitae-ate and tie from his hair.


Shaking the black mass back, he then moved to Sakura. Gently, he pulled the tattered remains of what had been her shirt and shorts off her, leaving her in a simple black bra and panties. Picking her up once more, he tried to ignore the skin-to-skin contact, and walked to the shower where he set her feet on the ground, but held her upright with an arm around her waist.


Neji turned on the water, juggling the taps until a hot spray spurted out on them. As the warmth slowly permeated his skin, he let out a sigh, and felt himself relax for the first time that day.


Sakura opened her eyes to water raining down on her face. Blinking a few times, she become aware that she was only dressed in her bra and panties, and that she was pressed up against a hard, masculine body in an equal state of undress. Minus the bra of course.


She looked up to see Neji smirking at her. The insufferable jerk, of course he would find this funny. The mental insult however, lacked the heat it would have had a few days ago.


Sakura was surprised at how comfortable she was, standing near naked in a shower with Hyuuga Neji. She would have thought that she would have screamed away from such an intimate situation with another man, or at least been horribly tense with the fact that she had laid nearly all of her soul bare for those silver eyes. But she didn’t.


She was also surprised at how he was handling it too. Who knew that Neji would be so at ease in a situation like this? She sure hadn’t, Sakura admitted as he squeezed shampoo into her hair. Allowing him to wash the blood from her hair, she continued her musings.


It had to be that damned confidence of his. Even before the chuunin exam, there had been that confidence. But after his defeat at Naruto’s hands, there was something more. An awareness, and faith: awareness of his limitations, and faith that he would supercede them.


She admired him for that. Sakura felt a lot of things towards Neji in fact. The tumbled mass of emotions that hit her whenever she even thought of Neji, grew stronger every moment that she was with him. This did worry her. Only days ago she was walking that thin line between life and simply existing, swinging from utter emptiness and intense chaos. Within the space of a day, she had been pushed over that line, and had been sinking towards insanity with great anticipation. And yet now, she stood here, in a shower with Neji and both feet planted firmly on the other side of the line. Despite what she had recently undergone, or maybe because of it, she felt surer of herself than she had in two years.


Neji handed Sakura the conditioner as he pulled her closer under the water to rinse the shampoo from her hair. He found that he liked taking care of her. It wasn’t the obsessively doting care either, just doing simple things for her. What he appreciated the most though, was her allowing him to take care of her. Despite what everyone, and what even she thought, she wasn’t weak. She was unbearably strong underneath that delicate beauty, enduring loneliness and the stress of working with the injured and near dead for two years. Even physically, she was strong. A rusty chuunin, taking on three missing-nin, and winning to boot. She was strong, both inside and out, and she had allowed him in.


No words were exchanged whilst the last of the blood was washed away from Sakura. For a long moment, they just stood there, simply enjoying the warmth of the water and the other’s presence. Then Sakura looked up at Neji, and he was struck by her eyes, so large, and such a pale green colour set in the alabaster frame of her face.


Sakura stared into Neji’s eyes. Such colour! The silver, she was sure, would likely haunt her for the rest of her life. His pale skin was the perfect complement, and those long, dark locks only served to contrast and complete his look.


“Neji?”


“Yes?”


Silence for a bit.


“I-”


“HEY YOU TWO! IT’S DINNERTIME!”


Whatever moment that would have happened was cut very short as Hanabi’s voice cut through Neji’s bedroom door, through the bedroom, and into the bathroom. Sakura and Neji stood stock still, then both began to laugh.


It was the absurdity of it all, and a way for the stress of the day to finally leech away. It was also an experience for both, to laugh, and to hear the other laugh. Sakura had a soft, musical laugh that floated on top of Neji’s deeper, huskier laugh. Then, still laughing, and not quite sure why they couldn’t stop, they got out to get dressed and went down for dinner.


*******


Sakura sat down at the Hyuugas’ table. Apprehensively, she avoided the silver eyes that seemed to stare at her from everywhere. Neji pushed her chair in under her, then sat next her. Hiashi was at the head of the table, Hanabi on his right, Neji on his left, and Sakura next to him.


Hiashi waited until his family had seated themselves before standing. Quiet swept along the table as they looked towards the head of the Hyuuga line. “This is Haruno Sakura, Neji’s partner. She will be staying with us for some time, and I expect all of you to make her comfortable.”


Sakura turned away even more from the increased curiosity. She hated people staring at her, especially so many, and all had those too perceptive Byakugan eyes. Under the table, Neji’s large, slender hand gripped hers, and she immediately felt better. He didn’t let go until the food came out, and by then, she was steady enough to stand on her own.


Sakura looked along the table, and the one next to it. She hadn’t known there were so many Hyuugas. Frowning slightly as her eyes ran over the exceptionally attractive faces, she turned to Neji, “Where is Hinata?”


“On a mission in Wave with Kurenai.”


“Are you friends with my sister?”


Sakura looked at Hanabi and thought over her question. “I haven’t really spoken to Hinata. She was always so shy during our Academy days, and I haven’t had the chance since we became genin.”


“Oh. That’s too bad.” Hanabi took the time to slurp up some noodles as the conversation reached an unsatisfactory end, in her mind. Changing tack, she watched Neji hand Sakura the dish of soya sauce with an almost predatory gleam in her eye.


“Are you and Neji-kun going out?”


Sakura choked on her noodles, and Neji spat out the water he had been drinking.


“What?”


“Hanabi?”


The girl giggled at the incredulous looks on both their faces that were slightly negated by the faint, but still noticeable blushes on both of them.


“Well, are you?”


“No!”


“Hanabi!”


Their exclamations came at the same time, and they turned to look at each other. Laughter broke out, and the tension surrounding the table was broken. Hanabi grinned as she mentally rubbed her hands. She was so good.


The rest of the night was spent in laughter, as if Sakura and Neji had unwittingly given the table permission to let go. Sakura found her reservations being dropped as she laughed at Hanabi’s outrageousness, or Neji’s dry humour. There were other Hyuuga members who were more than willing to reveal some of the more undignified exploits of Neji’s youth, making him bury his head in his hands and groan in mock annoyance.


Sakura loved it. It was just so…so…she couldn’t find any words to describe these people. Except for one: family. To laugh, and talk over a meal with those who were your blood: such an experience, Sakura had yet to feel in her own home. But the Hyuugas were a pretty good substitute.


Dinner wound itself to a close, and Sakura had to stifle her yawns. Neji helped her up, then excusing themselves, they made their way upstairs. By the time they reached the top of the stairs, Sakura was falling asleep in his arms again.


Shaking his head, Neji scooped her up, and walked into his room. He laid her out on his bed, and was about to move away, to go sleep in other room, when her hand grabbed onto his sleeve with surprising strength.


“Don’t go.” Her voice was a sleepy murmur. “Stay.”


“Sakura, I-”


“Please.”


Neji knew he had it bad when he found his will crumbling under those pleading eyes, and he climbed in next to her. Sakura snuggled up to him and promptly fell asleep. Neji didn’t though, not for a long time, as his thoughts were too consumed by the girl by his side.


Yep. Really, really bad.


Sakura opened her eyes for the second time in Neji’s bed. Experimentally, she sat up, startled at how well rested she felt. Of course, she would normally only get 2-3 hours sleep at the most, and even then, the little sleep she did get was plagued by nightmares.


Neji walked in from the bathroom, showered and freshly dressed in his usual white shirt and black shorts. He gave her a brief nod before securing his hitae-ate on.


Following his lead, Sakura quickly showered and slipped on the shirt and shorts that had been laid out for her. Neji was waiting for her when she came out, and they made their way down to breakfast.


Hiashi was the only one up, and he gave them a nod between bites of his toast. Sakura and Neji sat down and tucked in as well. Hiashi watched them discreetly for a few moments, then finished off his toast and left, leaving only the noise of crunching bread.


Sakura was eagerly devouring the bread, surprised to even feel hunger. It had been awhile since she had felt the need to actively seek food, and she didn’t want to question it, suspecting the origin lay within the chuunin next to her.


They had soon finished breakfast and after washing up the dishes, Sakura looked at Neji, “So what now?”


“Now? Now we train.”


*******


In the forest behind the Hyuuga mansion, Neji had Sakura run through yesterday’s battle once more. It was easier the second time, she realized, as if a festering wound had already been lanced and now she was only draining out the pus.


Considering the battle from an analytical angle, Neji frowned. If what she said was true…then really, he only needed to give a few directional nudges. What intrigued him most was how she had dispatched the last nin: ripped apart by raw chakra. What a fascinating technique.


“Sakura, could you possibly re-enact your last move?”


She flinched at the memory of body parts flying everywhere, followed by all that blood. But she raised her eyes and nodded. Neji’s eyes measured her, knowing how much it would cost her, but also knowing that she needed to do this.


Sakura faced one of the trees and closed her eyes. She could remember that technique all too well. Sakura could feel the rage, hate, the sheer insanity of that moment, watching that girl’s body drop to the floor. She had never felt such killer intent, the overwhelming desire to kill at all costs. But what had been worse was the dark, bittersweet satisfaction she had felt when his blood had painted the walls.


Her eyes flew open and her breath wheezed out. Startled, Neji was by her side, taking in her pale, clammy face. “Sakura?”


“I can taste it.” Her voice was sharp, and abrasive with something darker. “My anger, my hate. My desire to kill. Even his fear: it’s such a bitter taste in my mouth.” She raised dark, bitter eyes to his. “I can’t stand it. Especially the taste of his death, and my pleasure at it.”


“He deserved to die.” Sakura tried to turn away, but he grabbed her shoulders. “He deserved to die Sakura, so don’t you dare try to feel guilt about killing him. He was a pathetic piece of scum not worthy of the oxygen he breathed. The world’s better off without him, and you’re to thank.”


Sakura let out a shuddering breath and was silent. Neji waited, and looked back up at him with renewed determination. “Yes. Let’s try again.”


“Whenever you’re ready.”


********


But Sakura couldn’t perform the technique. Nor could she the next day. By the third day, to say that she was frustrated would have been an understatement of rather large proportions.


Why was she so weak? Sakura gritted her teeth as she concentrated fiercely. No matter how hard she tried, she kept going back to that moment in the hospital, and each time, those ugly emotions were as strong as ever. Damn it! She couldn’t even do one lousy technique without succumbing to weakness. And what made it worse, was Neji’s patience throughout it all. Not once had he yelled, or reproached her for her weakness, though God knew she deserved it. Instead, he had just nodded when she couldn’t do it and moved them onto different things.


She shouldn’t be his partner! He should be partnered with someone who was strong, like he was, not weak like her!


Neji frowned as he watched Sakura try the move once more. This wasn’t good. It didn’t matter that she hadn’t yet performed the technique; indeed, he had been expecting it, but what worried him was that he could see despair threatening to envelop her once more. Neji would not allow that to happen.


“Argh! I give up! I can’t do this!” Sakura cried, and she turned back to go back to the mansion, only to be stopped by Neji. “Get out of my way Neji! I can’t do this anymore!”


Neji let her yell. It was about time she shouted, she needed to get out of the habit of repressing her emotions.


“Just move!” He didn’t. “Damn it Neji! Don’t look at me like that! You’re too understanding, don’t you see I’m not right for you as a partner?”


Pause, then there was a faint stirring of heat in those silver eyes. “What do you mean?”


“Don’t you see how weak I am? You deserve someone stronger! Someone who won’t embarrass you because they’re so pathetic!” Drained by her outburst, Sakura turned and walked away.


But his words stopped her in her tracks.


“Are you saying that I’m a fool, Sakura?”


Sakura pivoted at the low growl, eyes wide. “No! How could you think-”


“Because it sounded that way to me, questioning my choice of partner. Are you saying that I can’t think for myself?”


“No! Stop twisting my words around, you know what I meant!”


“Do I?”


“Yes! You know there are so many shinobi out there who are stronger than me-”


A blur of speed, and then Neji was in front of her, grabbing her shoulders forcefully. The words died in Sakura’s mouth as she looked at Neji. He was mad. She had forgotten, to some degree, what a dangerous person Neji was. He had shown her his softer side, but that dark side was always there.


“Listen to me! I don’t care about other shinobi, and how strong they are. I chose you Sakura, because you are strong too. I don’t care who said you were weak, whether it was that damned Uchiha, Naruto, your sensei or the Hokage herself. You are not weak, you are so much stronger that you think, and if you would just believe in yourself a little, you would see that!”


Sakura stared at Neji, eyes wide and mouth agape. She hadn’t seen Neji get this angry, or say so many words at once in…well, never. Was all this anger, on her behalf?


Her breath catching, Sakura took a step back, but never once broke the eye contact with Neji. He said that if she believed in herself, she would see her strength. Did he see it? And did that mean he believed in her?


Turning to one of the trees, Sakura closed her eyes. This time though, there were no ugly emotions, no bitter memories, but a sense of something stronger. Opening her eyes, Sakura saw chakra fly from her outstretched hands to attach themselves to the tree, and with a hard tug, the tree was ripped apart.


Sakura didn’t mind the bark and twigs that rained down on her. She was too amazed. With a smile, she turned to Neji, and laughed when she saw that insufferable smirk.


“Alright, alright, you were right. What now?”


********


The next month saw Sakura and Neji up at the crack of dawn to train, everyday without fail. Now that the first barrier had been tackled, the obstacle of her faith, the other obstructions fell easily. Even Neji was surprised at the heights Sakura was able to reach. She didn’t have the same massive chakra that he did, but she wasn’t far off. She would match his speed, and her intelligence excelled his. She had never applied that intelligence to strategy to before, but now, Neji was sure she could give Shikamaru a run for his money.


And then there was that chakra control. Together, they’d developed techniques that boggled the mind. None of them required seals either, so they couldn’t be copied.


It was a thrill for Neji, to have someone who could push and challenge him like this--a worthy one at that. He’d seen her heal more and more each day here, lifting the shadows from her eyes and making her glow with strength.


Sakura herself couldn’t believe that she’d reached this level. Not just physically either, but mentally. She slept well, ate regularly, talked more and could smile with people she cared for. Sometimes, she wondered if this was all a dream, and any moment she would wake up to the hard hand of her father.


Her father. God, she’d near forgotten him during her time here. He was still on a mission to the Hidden Grass Village, and had yet to return. Her mother hadn’t awoken from her coma either, and was kept in rebuilt hospital. Sakura knew she should tell Neji about her father, at least before he came back, but she couldn’t bring herself to tell him; there was always later.


Besides, she was far too busy attempting to kick his ass right now.


Sakura and Neji were engaged in one of their daily sparring sessions. This particular one had been going on for the past half hour, and neither of them had been able to gain the upper hand so far.


Panting slightly, Sakura crouched behind a tree and swept sweaty bangs away from her face as she contemplated her next move. He would spot her soon, the Byakugan always found her. Sure enough, she felt his chakra suddenly bullet towards her, and at the last moment, she came from behind the tree and threw up her hands.


A glowing net of chakra wove its way between two trees. As she had trained more and more, she had learnt how to mold chakra outside of her body, and in large amounts as well. A lot of other shinobi could do this, such as Kakashi’s chidori, or Naruto’s rasengan, but not as an animate object like Sakura could.


Neji couldn’t stop his headlong charge, so he instead put on more speed. He used the net as a catapult, and his increased momentum allowed him to get away before the net could close in on him.


Scowling, Sakura re-gathered the chakra, then sent it after him in multiple ropes. Shit, Neji thought. He couldn’t allow for the chakra to touch him, otherwise she would be able to perform any one of her best techniques.


She could freeze him in place, and keep him there for as long as she wanted. Or she could pull him apart like she had that missing-nin. But she would most likely drain him. One of her most unique techniques, Sakura attached her chakra to her opponent’s tenketsu, and then drained their chakra through the tenketsu, her own chakra the conduit. It was an amazing technique, one that Neji had tried, but had failed at, despite his chakra control being near perfect. They had concluded that it only worked for Sakura, because she alone could control others’ chakra as well as her own.


However, out of anyone in Konoha, a Hyuuga was best equipped to withstand this type of attack. The jyuken could be used to deflect Sakura’s chakra, and the kaiten was able to stop an attack such as the one Sakura was using right now.


Neji spun, emitting chakra as he did so, sending Sakura’s chakra threads flying. He smirked at her thin curse, then readied himself for some hard hand-to-hand combat.


Sakura and Neji met in a series of fast and brutal blows. Neji’s 64 hands of Hakke didn’t work against Sakura, as she could sense the tenketsu, and simply unblock them. It was ironic really, how their attacks and abilities cancelled each other out. Even if they tried, it seemed they couldn’t really hurt the other. This suited them fine though.


Neji was using the jyuken, but as his jyuken could block her chakra attacks, it worked vice versa as well. After a few minutes, they switched to pure taijutsu, deciding not to waste chakra.


Unknown to the two of them, Tsunade and Hiashi stood watching in the trees. Tsunade was staggered; she couldn’t help it, the change in Sakura was astounding.


She’d never thought that Sakura could be this strong. The other members of team 7 had always demanded more attention, and Sakura had always been overlooked. Looking at Sakura now though, Tsunade had to concede that everyone had been wrong to write Sakura off. It was amazing: her strength and speed had hit new levels, and her intelligence allowed her to make maximum use of that chakra control. Neji, already one of the strongest chuunin around, had gotten even stronger, though it would have been impossible not to, constantly training with a partner like Sakura.


Hiashi watched the pair battle with a faint smile. The two had become inseparable during the past month, and he had yet to see two people complement each other the way these two did. He had seen Sakura become a part of his family, and he had come to think of her as one of his own. It made him smile to see how strong she had become, and how close she had grown to Neji.


Tsunade turned to Hiashi, “Thank-you Hiashi, for bringing me to them. I can handle it from here.”


Hiashi nodded, then walked back to the mansion. Tsunade took a few steps towards the dueling pair, and was amazed at what happened next.


All fighting ceased as they sensed her foreign presence. Both immediately whipped around and Tsunade watched them near transform. Any joy and comfort they’d had from sparring with each other instantly drained away, to be replaced with masks. Neji’s face went cool and arrogant, his aura powerful and resonating with powerful undertones. Sakura’s face froze in its lovely lines, and here aura went utterly calm. Tsunade found it interesting how Neji’s overpowering aura hid the absolute stillness and control that was Sakura, making it impossible for anyone to detect Sakura’s presence. Indeed, if she wasn’t looking at them now, Tsunade would have believed that only Neji was there. She wondered if he even knew he was protecting Sakura in such a way.


“Who’s there?” Neji’s voice was like a husky knife, cutting through the air and promising retribution for the person who had invaded their solitude.


“Neji, Sakura, it’s me.” Tsunade came out, and though the two eased out of their defensive positions, those unreadable masks remained. So they only dropped their defenses around each other. Tsunade noted this, then continued walking over to the pair. As she drew closer, she became aware of how much Sakura had changed physically: no longer so painfully thin, she was still slender, but roped with lean muscle, and gently curved in all the right places. Her face now shone with health, as did those guarded eyes.


“You’ve certainly improved Sakura. Well done to both of you.”


“Arigatou, Hokage-sama.”


“You’re probably wondering why I’m here. I’m here to evaluate your progress, which I think you two have certainly excelled at, and to also give you your first mission.”


A mission. Sakura fought not to grin in excitement. Finally! A chance to go out!


“Shall we discuss this inside?”


The two nodded, and the instant Tsunade turned to lead the way back to the mansion, they smiled at each other: Sakura’s a big, splitting grin, and Neji’s a small uplift of the lips, but a smile nonetheless.


*******


They sat in the living room, Tsunade on a couch and the two on a sofa.


“This is a B-rank mission. You are to meet with two Konoha shinobi in the Hidden Rain Village. They have been there for the past six months, fathering information for me. You will meet them, and then take them home. This is a delicate mission, as the two shinobi have been spying on the corrupt activities of the village, and so their cover, and the leaf’s identity, must not be compromised.”


Sakura processed the information. “Why are we needed as extra protection to help them out of Rain?”


“It is easy to get into Rain, but hard to get out. Corrupt shinobi prevent people from leaving the village, as they wouldn’t have anyone to terrorize otherwise.”


“Who are the shinobi we are to meet up with?”


“Nara Shikamaru and Aburame Shino.”


“Ah.”


What that meant, Tsunade didn’t know, but Neji didn’t elaborate.


“Any other questions?”


They shook their heads.


“Alright, Report to my office at 7:00AM. Don’t bother bringing anything; you will be given packs and clothing. If you think of any questions tonight, don’t hesitate to ask them tomorrow. Don’t worry about seeing me out, I know the way.”


Sakura and Neji waited until they heard the door close before dropping their masks and speaking.


“So what do you think Neji?” Sakura sat sideways on the sofa, propping her legs up on Neji’s lap. Even now, she still derived comfort from his touch, however simple it was.


Neji laid a hand on her shins. In the first healing stages, he’d actively made sure she had his touch, but as time wore on, he’d found that he too, found comfort in it. “I think it’ll be a good experience for you.” Neji cast a glance at his partner. “How do you feel about seeing those two?”


She smiled wryly, understanding why he was asking the question. “I was never really close to Shikamaru or Shino.”


He nodded, glad that their appearance wouldn’t cause her any pain.


There was quiet for a few moments, and both thought over their new mission. Then Sakura sat up straighter, a small, impish smile curling her lips. “So, do you think we’ll be successful?”


Neji looked at her as if she were mentally retarded. “Of course.”


Sakura waited him out, but that raised eyebrow never quivered, that smirk didn’t budge, and Sakura found her laughter ringing through the Hyuuga household.


Neji smiled. Sakura was the laughter in his life right now, and it surprised him at times, the need he felt for her, but he wouldn’t have had it any other way. Watching her beautiful face come alive with laughter, something tightened low in Neji’s gut, and possessiveness gripped him. This mission had the potential to be dangerous, and he would make sure Sakura got the chance to prove herself, but he would kill anyone who hurt her.


On that cheerful note, he sat Sakura’s feet down and stood up, holding out his hand to her. “Come on, we have finished our training.”


Sakura gave one last smile before placing her hand in his and following him out.

It was the hour before dawn, and Sakura had already woken up to the darkness of Neji’s room. Sitting up, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes before turning to the shinobi next to her. Ever since that first night, she’d slept in Neji’s bed, except for one night, where she had slept in a guest room, and had ended up in the grips of a nightmare, which had brought the whole house to her room at her frantic screams. Strangely, whenever she slept by Neji, she never had one nightmare, instead having peaceful dreams and much needed rest. It was a big bed though, and so they had never had any problems sleeping together in it.


Neji lay sleeping peacefully, and Sakura smiled softly. Gently, she brushed the black hair that fell over his face away, revealing his handsome face. Sakura’s eyes traced over the smooth forehead, carved nose and cheekbones, along with that stubborn mouth, and felt her heart swell.


She’d felt this strange emotion ever since she’d healed him, so long ago. Small then, it had taken root nonetheless, and had been steadily growing ever since, until it near drowned her to even look at him. Sakura didn’t want to acknowledge it; it couldn’t be what she thought it was. But deep down, she knew it had to be. After all, it choked her whenever she thought of him getting hurt, it reared its head whenever she woke up with him and really, she couldn’t deny this strange emotion.


But what could she do about it? Neji cared for her, certainly, but she didn’t know if it was purely plutonic. She wouldn’t be able to stand the destruction of their relationship if she admitted her feelings only to find he didn’t return them.


It wasn’t just that though--in a way, she was scared of being consumed. She and Neji had yet to take their relationship to the next level, and she knew that if it did, the last barriers between them would be totally destroyed. With Neji, it was all or nothing. Could she live with that? Could she live with having someone know her so intimately and deeply, maybe even better than she knew herself? What made her hand tremble as she traced fingers over the high curve of his cheek, was that deep in her heart, the answer was an unwavering yes.


Tenderly, Sakura pressed her lips to the curse seal on Neji’s forehead. “I love you so much it makes my heart ache.” She whispered painfully. “But I don’t know what to do.”


Pulling away, she got out of bed to shower, never noticing the silver eyes that followed her every move.


********


“So how long will you two be gone?”


“About a month.”


“Are you excited?”


“Yes.”


“Will you buy me a present?”


“Hanabi!”


“Sure we will, Hanabi-chan.”


Neji rolled his eyes at Sakura as Hanabi squealed. They had been having an early breakfast, when Hanabi had woken up and decided to join them.


“Will you and Neji-kun be beating anyone up?”


Sakura struggled to contain a smirk. “If we have to.”


“Neji-kun, you’re going to make sure that Sakura-chan comes back safely, right?”


“Of course.” Though he didn’t look up from his food, the utter conviction in those two words would have stopped the sun from rising.


“And you too Sakura-chan! Make sure Neji-kun comes home safe.”


“I will.” Again, that unshakable conviction.


“That’s good-”


“Hanabi, are you bothering Neji and Sakura?”


“Daddy!”


Hiashi sat down at the table as Neji and Sakura were finishing their noodles. He waited until they had done their dishes and were about to leave before speaking.


“Take care.”


*******


“Hyuuga Neji and Haruno Sakura to see you, Hokage-sama.”


“Send them in Shizune.”


Tsunade watched as Neji and Sakura walked in. They had those inscrutable masks on once more, and yet, you could almost sense their closeness.


“You will need to wear clothes like those they wear in Rain.” Tsunade gestured to two piles of neatly folded clothing on her desk. “Shizune will take you to a room where you can change.”


Sakura and Neji picked up their respective piles of clothing, and moved to the door indicated by Tsunade.


Shizune led them to a room where separate changing screens had been set up, and they moved to one each. For a few moments, there was only the sound of rustling cloth as clothes were discarded and new ones pulled on.


Sakura poked her head around the screen. “Neji?”


“Yes?”


“You decent?”


“Yes.”


“On the count of three then.”


“If we must.”


“Yes! One…”


“Two…”


“Three!”


Sakura and Neji stepped out from behind the screens at the same time. Both were promptly rendered speechless as they took each other in.


Starting at his feet, Sakura’s eyes tracked from his black sandals, black pants and Chinese style shirt. The pants were long, and the shirt high-collared and sleeveless, with fastenings down the centre. With his black hair, silver eyes and pale skin, Neji looked like a monochrome treat; even the bandages on his right side fit the look. The clothes made her very aware of the body underneath them, from the long legs skimmed over by black cloth, to the sleekly muscled arms revealed by the sleeveless shirt. Sakura could only gape.


Luckily for her, Neji was suffering the same predicament. Sakura wore a modified version of her old red dress, matching Neji in black. The dress was ankle length, but with splits on either side to the hip for free movement. Underneath, she wore a pair or close-fitting black pants, and the standard ninja sandals. Neji had never realized what black did for one’s figure; he could see every inch of Sakura’s willowy curves, and he had to admit, it was a distracting sight. Against the black of her clothing, Sakura’s pale green eyes seemed to blaze with colour, and her hair, now worn in a fat snake of a braid, marked a trail of colour against the blackness.


Sakura cleared her throat delicately. “So this is what they’re wearing in Rain.”


“It appears so.”


There was a knock at the door. “Have you two finished?”


Neji held the door open for Sakura as they followed Shizune back to the Hokage’s office.


Tsunade studied the two. Well, they certainly made a picture. “The Rain’s fashions suit you two. Now, the two of you are to enter Rain, locate Shikamaru and Shino, then leave, as quickly as you can. The sooner all of you can come home, the better.” She handed them a slip of paper, which Neji took. “This is the address where Shikamaru and Shino are staying. Theses are your packs. They include a spare change of clothes, food and water, plus fake identities, should you need them. You will also have to give your hitae-ates to me, I’m afraid. We can’t have any evidence of the Leaf.”


Neji reached up to untie his hitae-ate, and handed it to Tsunade, leaving the black headband that hid his curse seal. Sakura didn’t move; she still didn’t wear her hitae-ate. In her eyes, she was still not yet a shinobi of Konoha, not until she completed at least one mission successfully.


“Any last questions?”


“No.”


“Very well. I wish you luck on your mission then.”


Though she said it to every other shinobi who left on a mission, she meant the words more than usual this time, wishing Neji and Sakura all the luck they could get for their mission. She had a feeling that more was at stake for these two than what you could see.


*******


It took two weeks of walking to reach the Hidden Rain Village, and it was already dark by the time they arrived. Sakura tipped her head back to study the heavy black gate that loomed before them. By now, her excitement over the mission had faded somewhat, and now apprehension filled her. Could they do this? Could she do this? A large, warm hand was placed at the small of her back, and she gave a small smile to Neji.


Taking a deep breath, she let her mind fall back into calmness. Neji believed in her, and she knew she was no longer so weak. She could do this.


Neji could see Sakura trying to calm herself. He didn’t blame her for worrying; he had some concerns of his own. The Village of Rain was not a nice place. The entire village was ringed with a heavily reinforced wall, with only two gates: one to enter, one to leave. They were approaching the entrance gate, just another two people in the line to enter.


There were ninjas at the gates, ushering people in with hard eyes. Neji kept his head down to avoid eye contact, and could see out of the corner of his eye, the exit gate.


No-one was coming out.


Sakura caught Neji’s lead and lowered her head whilst discreetly observing. She tugged on the wide brimmed hat Neji had bought for her the day before, glad for the extra shield it provided. He had come back from the market and given it to her, explaining that her hair was far too noticeable, and so she wore her hair piled under the hat. Like the rest of her clothing, it was black, and Sakura was rather fond of it.


Lifting her head slightly, Sakura chanced a look at the village. There was an almost palpable air of gloom over the Hidden Rain Village, not in the least helped by the continuous presence of the dark rain clouds. It looked like the village had been named aptly.


Slowly, they entered the village. The guards gave them hard looks, but allowed them to pass. Sakura heaved a sigh of relief, but sucked it back in when she got her first glimpse of Rain.


It bore none of the light that imbued Konoha and its people. Tall buildings, made of dark bricks, or painted in dark colours, lined the streets for as far as the eye could see. Beggars stood on street corners, rubbish was everywhere. People milled the streets, all wearing dark clothing similar in style to Sakura and Neji’s clothing. There were so many, bustling about their business; Rain was a seething mass of humanity, and not the particularly good aspects of it either.


People yelled at each other, shoved their way through crowds, and right in front of Sakura’s eyes, two boys began to tussled over a piece of bread.


With wide eyes, Sakura turned to Neji. “Let’s get out of here.”


He nodded, then started down the street. Both had memorized the map of Rain, and so knew where they would find Shikamaru and Shino. Their plan was simple: find them, rest, leave. Maybe even leave out the rest portion if need be.


Sakura’s cool eyes flitted over the village. So dark. She recognized the violence that was seemingly present everywhere. It was disheartening to know it existed outside her home, and in such large abundance. Neji’s hand didn’t leave her back, and she was glad for the small support.


Neji walked next to her, but a step back. It was a habit formed during her hospital days so long ago, where he would follow her around to annoy her into becoming his partner. It allowed him to guard their backs, and still be able to see any attacks from the front as well, seeing as how Sakura was a fair bit shorter than himself.


Soon, they had come to a tall building of apartments. Neji checked the address Tsunade had given them. “Apartment 218.”


Sakura nodded, then led the way in. They were instantly treated to darkness, only relieved by the light that peeked around doors. There was an overpowering stench of sex and stale sweat, along with lingering smell of cigarettes and somewhere underneath it all, the very faint undertone of blood. All the undertones of violence. Schooling her face into a mask of ice, Sakura pressed on through the corridor.


She could hear noises coming from behind each closed door. Televisions blaring, the thud of movement and the sounds of people: talking, yelling, crying. Sakura could almost feel the blood draining from her face as she began to ascend the stairs.


Take a hold of yourself! Sakura reprimanded herself. She wasn’t so weak anymore, and she wouldn’t allow her demons to get the better of her. Firming her resolve, she continued upwards.


Up and up they went. But in the darkness, it was hard to mark any progress at all. It was a strange feeling, of moving upwards and yet, not moving at all.


The fourth floor, apartments 200-250. Sakura and Neji walked along the corridors, scouring the door numbers. 218 was near the middle, unnoticeable and unremarkable.


Sakura found herself looking at Neji. More lay behind that door than just Shikamaru and Shino. Opening that door would cement the mission, and her goal of being a ninja. It would be a confirmation that she was strong enough for Konoha, and ultimately, for herself.


Neji didn’t say anything. Sakura closed her eyes for one moment, then turned and knocked on the door.


“Who is it?” A deep voice came through; one that Sakura realized was Shikamaru’s.


Neji answered, “Some old friends from home.”


There was silence, then the sounds of someone moving around. Sakura held her breath as the door opened. Gradually, she was able to make out a familiar figure: spiky hair in a high ponytail, dark clothing, and the faint outline of hoop earrings.


“Shikamaru.” She said. “It’s been a long time.”


He looked different. The hair and earrings had been kept, but he was much taller, his face more mature, with eyes that had lost some of their laziness.


“Sakura? Is that you? And Neji?” He paused for a moment, staring at them intently. He moved out of the doorway. “Well, come in then.”


Sakura and Neji walked into the shabby apartment. There was a table with a couple of chairs, a pair of threadbare couches and doors Sakura assumed led into bedrooms and a bathroom that would be equally sparse in furnishings.


“Sit down.”


They did, on one of the couches, and Shikamaru took a seat opposite them.


“So you two are taking us home.”


Sakura didn’t know what to make of Shikamaru’s cool, uninterested tone. Sure, the Shikamaru she knew was lazy and apathetic, but not like this.


Neji answered. “Yes.”


There was a thick silence, in which Sakura frowned at Shikamaru. She had the feeling he was deliberately encouraging the tension in the room, and whilst he was the image of disinterest with his slouch and sleepy eyes, she saw the intent looks he gave them. There was always a reason behind Shikamaru’s actions, partly because he was lazy and didn’t like to waste actions, but also because of his incredible intelligence. He didn’t have an IQ of 200 for nothing, and there would be a reason for why he was deliberately making them uncomfortable and gauging their reactions…


Sakura sighed as the pieces clicked. “Neji, activate your Byakugan and tell Shikamaru what’s in his bathroom.”


He did so. “Your bathroom is done in white and you use a blue toothbrush.”


Shikamaru raised an eyebrow. “How’d you know the blue one was mine, and not the green?”


“The green one was next to a neatly capped toothpaste. The blue one was in the sink.”


Shikamaru laughed, a genuine one, and it sounded rusty. “Correct. Looks like you do know me. So Sakura, how did you figure out that I was suspicious of your identities?”


“I don’t have your intelligence Shikamaru, but I’m close, and it was only a matter of common sense.”


Shikamaru gave another short laugh, but this one was bitter. “Yes, well I guess it was obvious. He looked at Neji, at the veins bulging around the eyes and said, “Our enemies would be stupid to imitate someone with a blood limit like yours, so I suppose you are Neji and Sakura.” He sighed. “Sorry. This place gets to you eventually.”


Sakura could well believe that. She hadn’t even been here an hour, and already she wanted to get out. And Shikamaru had spent six months in this miserable village.


Neji considered the chuunin. “What was your mission here?”


Shikamaru rubbed his hands over his face, a gesture of exhaustion. “Shino and I were sent here to monitor the business of Rain. As you know, this is a job normally given to chuunins; we just got the shit village. We were to observe the internal activities, and try and infiltrate the deeper layers.”


Neji held Shikamaru’s bitter glare with his own cool one. “And what have you learnt?”


Shikamaru nodded at Neji’s seemingly cold questions and demeanor. In truth, it helped him reduce it down to procedure, nothing else, and he was surprised that the Hyuuga was sensitive enough to help in this respect. “Rain is a mess. Crime is everywhere; the majority of the population lives in poverty. The shinobi are corrupt, and led under General Moribumi Zanada. They’ve closed off the village from the rest of the world, and any spies from other countries are tortured and killed. We’ve been extremely lucky not to get caught so far. I will be making the recommendation to the Hokage not to get involved in any business with Rain.”


Sakura was well aware of how the troubles of life could take its toll on you, and its mark was more than noticeable in Shikamaru’s tired face and jaded eyes.


“Tomorrow morning, we’ll be going home Shikamaru.” As she had predicted, the words had a calming effect on the chuunin.


“And that fact will keep me from going insane for one more night.” Shikamaru got up and went to the window, gazing out into the cloudy night. He turned to Sakura and Neji, and studied them.


He had to admit, the Hyuuga looked good. Taller than himself, with that dark hair and unique eyes, he was growing into an impressive face and presence. Shikamaru was sure he would be giving Sasuke a run for his money in terms of fanclubs.


Sakura too, looked good, beautiful even, though Shikamaru would never think of her in that way. But she looked different, not like the brightly animated genin he’d last seen, this was a delicate, but strong kunoichi, with nuances of something infinitely dark around the edges.


But it was the way the two fit together that was the most interesting. They were comfortable with each other, but it went beyond that. Shikamaru couldn’t really describe it, all he could say was that they fit. Who would have thought? Sakura and Neji, falling in love. He wondered if they knew.


There was a series of knocks on the door, and Shikamaru shook out of his musings to let Shino in.


He too, was taller, his jacket black and styled much like Neji’s shirt. He still wore his sunglasses though, and his face was as unreadable as ever.


Shino tensed slightly at the sight of Neji and Sakura, though his voice was deceptively mild when he asked Shikamaru, “Guests?”


“It is Sakura and Neji, he showed me his Byakugan. They’re taking us home tomorrow.”


Shino arched his eyebrows. “Oh.” He didn’t elaborate, but after an awkward pause, held up the bags in his hands. “Dinner, anyone?”

It had just passed midnight when Sakura sat up, finally fed up with her inability to fall asleep. She and Neji were camped out on the sofas, and she shucked off the blankets, as she groped blindly for her dress. Sliding it over the pants and bra which she had worn to bed, Sakura padded into the kitchen for a glass of water.


And very nearly tripped over Shino.


“Shino?” Sakura peered up at the taller boy, who was also taking a drink.


“Can’t sleep?” His deep voice was almost indistinguishable at a whisper, but Sakura could sense some hidden emotion in it.


Sakura smiled slightly. “Yeah.” Moving around him, she pulled a glass from the cupboards and poured water into it. After drinking half of it, she put the glass down on the counter and eyed the other boy.


He too, was fully dressed, and even now, wore those dark sunglasses. But unlike Shikamaru, you couldn’t see how living in Rain had impacted on Shino. His face was as unreadable as ever, though his aura was darker somehow, more commanding.


“Will you be glad to go home?” She knew it was a personal question, but she had to ask.


The briefest of smiles. “Of course. I’ve dreamed of nothing else for six months.”


Sakura nodded; there had been enough wistfulness in Shino’s voice to tell her that he, as much as Shikamaru, needed to go home.


Silence, as the two finished of their water. Then with an uncertainty that was far from the norm with Shino, he asked, “Sakura?”


She turned towards him, “Yes?”


“I was wondering it you could do something for me. It’s been so long since I’ve seen Konoha, and when I close my eyes, I can’t really see it anymore.” He paused. “Could you… describe it for me?”


Sakura wasn’t good with words these days, not like she used to be--and when she did talk for long periods of time, it was to Neji. But she would try for Shino, because he deserved that much.


“Ah…well, everything is going well. Missions and training…” Was that the best she could do? It was a pitiful attempt, and not really what Shino needed. So she closed her eyes and tried again.


“In Konoha, winter is ending, so the trees have started growing leaves, and the flowers have started to bloom. Children are coming out to play more, so you can hear their laughter a lot more. The Spring Festival is coming up, and people are already preparing, for the decorations, food and games. They’re saying that this will be the best Spring Festival ever. Even the shinobi are going to have to help out, you know, hanging decorations, setting up tables and food. We’re even going to have to get dressed up in kimonos and put aside our hitae-ates for the night, and enjoy the time to simply be ourselves.”


“Stop.” Shino’s voice was thick with emotion. “That’s enough.” He took a long shuddering breath, then smiled at Sakura. “Thank you. I can see Konoha now, and I know you had to work for those words. Thank you.”


Touched, Sakura moved and laid a hand on Shino’s shoulder. “We have a big day tomorrow. You’d better get some rest.”


“The same to you, Sakura.”


Sakura watched Shino shuffle off to bed, before she returned to the living room. Pausing a moment to readjust the blanket where it had fallen off Neji, she was about to got back to sleep when she heard a faint noise.


Frowning, she cast her senses wide and froze at what she found. Ten shinobi, heading up the stairs!


“Neji, wake up! Intruders!” She shook him gently, and he instantly woke up. He activated his Byakugan, seeing the ninjas with the Rain symbol on their hitae-ates.


“Wake up Shino and Shikamaru.” Sakura nodded and quickly disappeared whilst Neji pulled on clothes and grabbed weapons.


Sakura went into the bedroom to find Shino and Shikamaru already awake and dressed, Shino must have heard them as well. They gave her grim looks.


“Moribumi must have found out we’re spies. We need to get out now.”


They went back to the living room where Neji was dressed and armed. He looked at Shino and Shikamaru, “The window I suppose?”


Shikamaru nodded, then opened the small window that looked out onto the street below. Sakura peered out and gulped; they were very high up, and there was nothing to stop them from a nasty death.


“Follow my lead.” Shikamaru slowly edged out onto the sill, then called chakra to his feet and ran down the side of the building. Shino followed, and soon Neji was helping Sakura out.


She called the chakra to her feet to make them stick, and ran down, meeting Shino and Shikamaru at the bottom of the building. Looking up, she frowned when she didn’t see Neji. Then she heard the unmistakable sounds of combat and realized what had happened: the Rain shinobi had reached the apartment.


Though it took every ounce of willpower in her, she kept herself from running back up the building. It would only distract Neji, and she had faith in him.


Sure enough, within minutes they saw Neji’s dark form streak down the building. He was bleeding from a shallow cut on the cheek, but was otherwise unharmed.


“Let’s get out of here.”


Shikamaru led the way as they ran towards the gates. It began to rain, and soon Sakura’s clothes were wetly plastered to her body, making running through the midnight darkness even worse. They were shinobi however, and their feet made no noise as they ran through the dark streets like shadows.


Every one of Sakura’s senses were on hyper alert; constantly checking that they were alone. They had just cleared the main road and were approaching the exit gate when alarm bells starting screaming in Sakura’s head. Her fears proved to have basis when a deep drawl halted them.


“Leaving so soon?”


Sakura turned with the other three, and her eyes widened at the sight of twenty shinobi, all heavily armed. One stood apart from them, a tall, lean man with a shock of white hair and pale eyes. Despite his colouring, he was only in his early forties and there was no disputing the strength he seemed to emanate. So this was the leaser of Rain’s corrupt shinobi.


“Moribumi.” Shino’s voice was conversationally calm. “Don’t you have other business to attend to?”


“What other business more important that dealing with spies from another village?” His eyes flicked over Neji and Sakura. “Though these two are new additions. Have they come to take you home?”


Nobody answered.


“Well, I suppose I could let them, but you see, I wouldn’t know where to find you should I decide to visit. So I’m afraid you have to stay at my place for a little bit.”


Neji relaxed slightly at Moribumi’s words; at least the involvement of the Leaf was still a secret. It wouldn’t stay that way though, unless they got out. He didn’t think a night at Moribumi’s would be too enjoyable, especially for Sakura. Neji had seen the lust enter Moribumi’s eyes when studying his partner, and Neji had to fight the urge to strangle him.


“Thanks Moribumi, but no thanks.” Shikamaru kept up the easy banter, the conversation masking the violent undercurrents of the whole situation.


Moribumi sneered. “That’s just too bad because you don’t have a choice.” He nodded to the shinobi behind him. “Take them.”


All four chuunin immediately went into battle mode, splitting up into their respective pairs. Neji’s Byakugan blazed, visible even in the dark and now heavy rain. Kunais sped to where he and Sakura stood, and he grabbed her and spun, the kaiten deflecting the kunais back towards their owners. The Rain shinobi could only pause in shock as their kunais came flying back and Neji and Sakura took advantage of their surprise, leaping onto them with a cold ferocity.


Shikamaru had taken advantage of the abundance of shadows, and had frozen the shinobi around him. Shino moved among them, dispatching unconsciousness with a precise air.


Neji shoved a glowing hand against another opponent’s heart, smirking when his heart stopped. He chanced a quick glance to where Sakura was, to see her blow away three ninjas with a gout of wind. They stayed down, but a new figure replaced them. Moribumi’s. Neji turned to go to her side, but saw that they had become separated, and that more shinobi had arrived, blocking his path to Sakura. Snarling, he pulled out two demon shuriken and set into the group of shinobi like unchained lightning.


Sakura glared at Moribumi as he eyed her appreciatively. “Go get someone your own age, you sick pervert.”


He chuckled. “Old women are nowhere near as fun as younger ones.” A predatory gleam entered his eye. “The younger ones are easier to break.”


Moribumi couldn’t say anymore, as a rush of water came his way. Quickly forming seals, he raised a water specific shield around him, but the water wasn’t the only thing he had to watch out for.


Sakura smirked as she heard the shurikens she’d hidden in the water embed themselves into Moribumi’s flesh. If this technique could work for Sasuke, it sure as hell could work for her.


Moribumi was suddenly in front of her and she had to work to block all of his blows. Kuso, he was fast! Her mind shifting as fast as her fists, she tapped Moribumi on the shoulders, attaching strands of chakra. Spinning out of his reach, she then tightened her hold on the chakra.


The chakra froze him in place, and he stared at her incredulously.


“What the fuck is this?”


Sakura smiled briefly. “What, don’t you like it?”


“Sakura, watch out!”


Neji’s yelled warning came too late, and he watched with horror as Sakura turned into a blow from the shinobi behind her. Damn, there were just too many of them!


Sakura quickly rolled away from the next blow, and flipped upright once more. Concentrating fiercely, she blocked and parried the blows that seemed to come from everywhere, all whilst trying to return blows of her own. Sakura didn’t know whether a minute or an hour passed in the madness that followed. All she knew was the pounding of her heart, the heavy rasp of her breathing and the rush of adrenaline as she existed on pure instinct.


She was doing brilliantly, but her defense wasn’t perfect like Neji’s kaiten. So despite her best efforts, a kunai slipped below her guard and sliced into her Achilles tendon. Her leg immediately buckled, and blows rained down on her as she collapsed to the floor.


“Hold!”


The shinobi moved away from her at Moribumi’s order. Bruised and bleeding, Sakura glared at the general, standing a few meters away from her.


“Now, you would have made a nice addition to my collection, but I think you’re a little bit too spirited for my taste. Such a pity too.” He held up a handful of kunais, “I don’t really need you my dear; I think Shino and Shikamaru will be able to provide better information for me, and so I’m afraid that means,” he smiled viciously, “I have to kill you.”


Sakura froze as the kunais hurtled towards her. Her mind yelled at her to move, but her body wouldn’t obey. With a cry, she turned her head away and waited for the pain. Nothing. Opening her eyes after a few second, Sakura confirmed that she was indeed alive, and turned to look.


Neji stood in front of her, his back towards her and breathing shallow. Sakura stared wide-eyed at him as he fell to his knees, then collapsed on his back, revealing the kunais that were embedded in his chest and arms. Kunais that he had taken for her.


Oh God. There was so much blood. Sakura pulled herself to his side and cradled his face between her palms. He didn’t respond to her touch, nor did he wake at her repeated calls.


“How cute. Looks like he loved you, little kunoichi. Too bad for you, huh?”


He loved her? Despairingly, Sakura gazed upon Neji’s coldly handsome face. Was that why he had protected her? Sasuke and Naruto used to do that for her too, back when they loved her. Oh God, did he really love her? She couldn’t lose him now!


Shikamaru swore as he and Shino were knocked to the ground. He saw Neji down for the count, and a badly injured Sakura by his side. Shit, they were going to die.


Tears streamed down Sakura’s face as Neji remained cold and unresponsive under her hands. In the maelstrom of her grief, panic and guilt, only one thought came through with crystal clarity.


Someone was going to pay for this.


She threw her head back, and her green eyes seemed to glow underneath their sheen of tears. Her hands quickly moved through seals, as she remembered a strategy she’d used in the battle at the hospital, so long ago. It had failed then, but she was stronger now, and it would serve a different purpose to entrapment.


Kage bunshins, twenty of them in total, ringed the Rain shinobi. Then, before they could react, chakra shot from the clones’ hands, attaching themselves to the tenketsu surrounding the hearts of each shinobi. During her month with Neji, Sakura had learnt how it was the internal organs, especially the heart, which produced chakra; one of the reasons why jyuken attacks were centered on the chest. Sakura couldn’t use the jyuken, but she could use the tenketsu in her own way.


Concentrating with every fiber of her being, Sakura pulled. The chakra ropes glowed intensely as Sakura pulled the very chakra from their bodies.


Shikamaru and Shino could only stare, dumbfounded. Was this really Haruno Sakura?


The shinobi began to drop as the loss of chakra became too much. Sakura kept up the drainage, until only Moribumi remained standing.


He clutched at the ropes of chakra, but it remained stuck fast. He glared at her, and spat, “Killing me won’t bring your boyfriend back.”


Sakura coolly met his gaze. “No, but it will certainly make me feel better.” With the others, she had stopped draining once they had fallen unconscious, but she didn’t stop with Moribumi, not until he collapsed, no longer breathing.


With strangely dry eyes, Sakura eyed the bodies that were littered over the street. Turning her attention to the clones, she sent one to heal Shikamaru and Shino, whilst she assimilated the others. She gasped at the sudden increase in sheer chakra, but clamped down on it. She needed it to heal Neji.


Quickly, she pulled the kunais out, her face grim as she removed one that was dangerously close to his heart. There was no time for finesse, so she simply placed her hands above his heart and pushed the chakra in. It flowed through his bloodstream, healing as it went, until his body was whole once more. But his heart didn’t start again, and his breathing didn’t resume.


“Neji? Wake up, you’re healed now.” Sakura shook him gently, and when that didn’t work, pumped more chakra into him. “Come on Neji, wake up!”


Now healed, Shikamaru and Shino turned away from the panic and fear in Sakura’s voice; she deserved privacy for this moment.


Sakura continued to pump chakra into Neji, but still, he didn’t wake. What was wrong? Why wasn’t his heart beating, he was physically fine! Maybe he was…No! She refused to contemplate it!


“Neji! Wake up! Wake up you bastard…”


She began to openly sob as all the chakra she’d acquired was used up, and still, he didn’t wake.


“Please…wake up… don’t leave me here…”


And still nothing.


“Don’t leave me Neji…I love you…”


“I love you.”


Neji opened his eyes blearily, and darkness assaulted him. Where was he? He could hear crying, and a soft weight on his chest. Sakura. Was she safe? Had he gotten there in time? He remembered the moment he’d seen Moribumi throw the kunais, the sheer panic he’d felt as he ran, desperate to get there in time. Then the pain, as the kunais struck. But all Neji could remember was the intense relief that Sakura was unharmed.


And she loved him. He’d heard her say it that day in his room, but had been afraid he’d been dreaming and so hadn’t mentioned it. But he’d heard her say it again, and by God, if he had been imagining it again, he didn’t care: he was going to tell her how he felt, and she would just have to deal with it.


“Sa…Sakura.” He reached out to stroke a hand over her wet, pink tresses, and she jerked up, staring at him.


“Ne-Neji?” She pressed her ear to his heart, and heard it beating, and felt the rise and fall of his lungs. When he smiled at her, she launched herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly, and laughter spilled out with the tears. His arms banded around her, and he breathed in her soft scent.


“Sorry I scared you.” He whispered in her ear.


“Don’t you ever do it again, do you hear me?” She pulled back slightly, and her eyes hungrily devoured his face. It didn’t matter that she was lying atop him on a wet road with rain pouring over them; he was gloriously alive, and it made it so much easier to breathe.


He smirked slightly. “I couldn’t die yet.” The smirk faded, replaced with a softer expression Sakura realized was vulnerable. “After all, I heard you say you loved me.”


Sakura froze. What could she say? What if he didn’t love her back? She was scared of rejection, but the memory of how it felt when she thought he was dead was far too fresh. They were shinobi, and that meant that any day could be their last, and Sakura knew she couldn’t let him go, knowing she hadn’t told him how she felt.


Meeting those silver eyes, she nodded. “Yes. I did.”


For an agonizing moment, there was silence as Neji simply stared. Then he grinned, and cupped her cheek in his hand. “Good, because I love you too.”


“What?” Sakura narrowed her eyes at him. “You do? How come you never told me? Or even indicated that you do? I had no idea, and I was so worried and-”


Neji’s hand curved around her head and pulled it down to meet his. Sakura was cut off as she received her first kiss.


Sakura had never been kissed by her father, and for that, she was profoundly glad. Like any other girl, Sakura had always had fantasies about her first kiss, but they didn’t even come close to the reality.


Neji kissed her softly, his lips like a butterfly’s touch, so tender that a tear trailed slowly down her face. Lovingly, his lips moved over her, and she tilted her head, slanting her lips so that they fit perfectly with his. Sakura cried as they lay there in the rain, the carnage of battle around them and yet, it all became insignificant as they kissed.


There was an embarrassed shuffle, and then they heard Shikamaru, “How troublesome. Break it up already, we still need to get out of here.”


Sakura lifted her head and laughed.


********


They escaped after knocking the guards at the gate unconscious, and by the next morning, they were well on their way home.


Sakura and Neji walked behind Shino and Shikamaru, her hand firmly clasped in his. She couldn’t remember ever being this happy: it was amazing how love could fill her heart to near bursting. Before, she had thought herself in love with Sasuke, but the devotion she had felt for Sasuke seemed to shrivel up next to the sheer emotion she experienced just looking at Neji.


She was far from perfect, and God knew she had more than her fair share of skeletons in her closet. But Neji understood that, and accepted it nonetheless. He had seen something in her, something that wasn’t weak, that wasn’t dark, and had helped it grow within her. She could have loved him for that alone.


Sakura looked at Shino and Shikamaru ahead of them, and smiled. Upon leaving Rain, it was as if a damper had been lifted off the two. Shikamaru had returned to his lazy state, and Shino was still quiet, but his spirits were noticeably brighter. Sakura looked at Neji by her side, and he smiled at her.


Neji relished the feel of her small hand in his. It amazed him, this emotion. He felt he could battle armies, move mountains, anything; nothing was impossible with her love. Nothing was impossible either, to keep that love. Neji had led a mostly isolated life, and the cold exterior he presented was a vital piece of who he was. It only made him treasure what he had with Sakura all the more.


Neji was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t notice the rock in his path. With a lack of grace that had never been seen in the Hyuuga before, Neji fell on his face.


“Neji! Are you alright?” Sakura crouched by his side, and saw that the worst blow had been to his pride. He glared evilly at the offending rock and Sakura couldn’t help but laugh.


“What’s so funny?” He turned the glare on her, but it didn’t phase her.


“You are! Neji, top chuunin, tripping over a rock! You should have seen the way you looked at the rock Neji! It’s not going to hurt you, you poor thing.” She giggled.


Neji’s eyes narrowed, and the predatory gleam turned playful. “Think it’s funny do you? Let’s see how much you laugh when you taste dirt.”


“Neji!” Sakura jumped up and ran from his clutches, laughing as she pushed past Shikamaru and Shino. Neji soon followed and Shikamaru rolled his eyes.


“How troublesome.”


*******


Tsunade looked up as Shino, Shikamaru, Neji and Sakura walked in. They all looked great: Neji and Sakura near glowed. It clicked for Tsunade when she saw their loosely linked hands. It only made her heart heavier with the news she had to tell.


Deciding to stick to routine for now, she asked. “So how did the mission go?”


Shikamaru relayed their tale, of his and Shino’s six months, of Rain’s deplorable condition. He explained when Neji and Sakura arrived, their untimely departure through a window and the battle when Moribumi had stopped them. He also told of Sakura’s technique, and her healing of al of them, and then, the walk home. By the end of it, Sakura had a faint flush on her cheeks and Tsunade looked at her with respect.


Were her actions really that heroic? Sakura gave a small smile, not really seeing them as such; any shinobi would do the same, and she now felt that she had earned her spot among Konoha’s ninjas.


Tsunade addressed them all. “Well done. Shikamaru and Shino, you guys deserve a long rest. Go home, spend some time with your friends and family.”


“Yes, Hokage-sama.” With a swirl of smoke, they were gone.


“Neji and Sakura, you too are to be commended on your part, you’ve proven yourselves beyond anything I had envisioned.”


Sakura smiled in thanks, but she could tell that something was bothering the Hokage, and it had to do with her. The first starts of fear began to worm its way in. Not now, please not anything bad now, not when she was finally happy.


Tsunade sighed. There was no point beating around the bush. “I know this may be a shock to you both, but there is a funeral this afternoon, one which both of you will want to attend. Especially Sakura.”


Sakura went pale. Oh God, could it be…


“I’m sorry Sakura, but it’s your mother’s.”


“Haruno Momoni was a beautiful woman, both inside and out. Loved by family and friends, she was a shining light to many people…”


Sakura tuned out the priest’s words. She felt so…empty, void of emotion. Was this healthy? To feel so little when your mother had died? Sakura didn’t know.


It was a beautiful, outdoors funeral. The sun was barely setting, casting its reddening light over the ornately carved coffin, with its wreath of flowers. A lot of people had turned up: Neji, the Hokage, Hiashi, Hanabi, Shikamaru, Shino and villagers who had known Momoni. She hadn’t realized her mother had been so loved.


Would they still love her if they knew what she had done? Sakura wondered what they would think if they knew the truth. Sakura knew the truth, but she didn’t know what to think. When her mother had been alive, Sakura hadn’t known if she loved or hated her, and even now in death, it wasn’t any less confusing.


She wished for Neji--for his strength to lean on. But he was sitting in the back rows, the guests’ area. She sat in the front row, the family’s’ area.


Next to her father.


He was back from his mission in Sand; he had been for the past week. He hadn’t said anything to her since they’d met up at the funeral’s start, but she knew he was far from happy.


What was going to happen? Sakura couldn’t go back to the way things were before; she would rather die first. She couldn’t deny though, the man sitting next to her still scared her. She was certain he would scare her until the day she died. But that didn’t matter. She was stronger now, she loved Neji, and he loved her. And now, with her mother gone, there was no reason for her to remain submissive.


The priest finished the last of the ceremony as the sun dipped below the horizon. Dry-eyed, Sakura stood up and laid a single rose on her mother’s casket, followed by her father. Everyone stood up, to say one last prayer then pay their condolences to Sakura and Eto.


Sakura slipped through the crowd, looking for Neji. Her father wouldn’t approve, but she didn’t care; she needed to see him. She spotted him near the back, and quickly pushed her way towards him


Neji saw her and met her halfway. Her arms came around him in an embrace, and he held her tightly. Resting his chin atop her head, he held her and allowed her to lean on him. No tears came as Sakura pressed her face against Neji’s chest, and Neji couldn’t help but wonder why.


“What is this?”


Neji looked up at Sakura’s father. A large man with an intimidating presence, Neji felt his hackles rise at the cruelty that was etched in the cast of his face.


Sakura turned around, and Neji’s hand shifted to the small of her back, keeping contact. Taking strength from it, Sakura faced her father. “This is Hyuuga Neji, my…” Boyfriend didn’t sound right, and true love, whilst accurate, likely to be laughed at. She simply said, “My partner.”


Eto’s narrowed eyes said that he wasn’t fooled. “I don’t want you with him.”


Neji’s eyes flashed, but it was Sakura who spoke. “Father, we do missions together-”


“Yes, you’ve taken up ninja duties again, haven’t you?” Though no more than conversational volume, there was no mistaking the quiet menace in Eto’s voice. “You didn’t ask me if you could resume, and I refuse to allow you to continue.”


Neji’s hand tightened at Sakura’s back. “Excuse me Haru-”


“I’m not talking to you boy!” Eto snarled at Neji.


“Is there a problem here?”


Eto looked up at Hiashi as he came up behind Neji and Sakura. “Yes. Keep your boy away from my daughter.”


Hiashi’s voice remained cool. “She is his partner.”


“Not anymore she isn’t.” Eto said. “Sakura, we’re going home now.”


Sakura’s eyes widened and she took a step back. Neji’s arm came around her waist protectively, and his eyes bore holes into Eto’s.


“Let go of my daughter.”


“No.”


“She is my daughter, you little punk, and that means she is under my power!”


“Neji…he’s right, you have to let her go.”


Neji turned to his uncle. “You cannot seriously be thinking of letting Sakura leave with this…man.”


“You know I don’t want to. But we cannot do anything about it now.”


“That’s right.” Eto clamped down on Sakura’s arm and pulled her away from Neji’s grasp with a vicious yank. Neji had to tense every muscle in his body to stop from leaping forward and snatching her back. He near vibrated with his anger, and his eyes burned hotly with it.


“We’re leaving, Sakura.”


Neji could only watch as Eto dragged her away, bruises already forming on Sakura’s arm. The last piece had finally clicked in the puzzle of Sakura’s past: abuse from her father. And Neji couldn’t do a damn thing about it. Seething, he walked away from the funeral; he would find a way.


*******


All was quiet as Sakura and her father ate their dinner. It felt so strange: Sakura hadn’t been near her home for the past month, and her mother’s absence made it all the more surreal. The only noise was that of chewing and the movement of chopsticks as they brought food to mouth.


“If I ever catch you with that boy again, I’ll kill him.”


The statement was shocking in its suddenness, and the threat it contained. Sakura set her food aside, and when she looked up, Eto was shocked at the rage in his daughter’s eyes.


“His name is Neji, and I will never allow you to hurt him.”


Such insolence! This was not the girl he left one month ago. She had gained spirit and life, and though this annoyed Eto, a small, sadistic smile curled his lips. It would be fun to break her again.


“I think you’ve forgotten your place Sakura.”


He stood up and shoved the table to the side. Sakura stood up as well, and met her father glare for glare.


“I haven’t forgotten anything.”


*******


Neji didn’t go down for dinner; his mind was too full to eat. Instead, he paced his room, anger burning through his veins. He couldn’t stop thinking about Sakura, and how she was faring. Neji wanted nothing more than to go over to her house and take her back, but he couldn’t because of her damn father.


It had never entered his head that she wouldn’t be here with him, waking up with him, having breakfast or training with him. With a sigh, he sat down on the bed, only to spot the long, pink strands of hair across the pillow. Gritting his teeth, he got up and jumped out the window. He was going to pound something until it broke. Maybe it would make him feel better. Yeah, right.


*******


Sakura blocked her father’s heavy blow, and sent a hard foot into his stomach. With satisfaction, she watched him stumble back in pain, shock painted across his features. He looked at her with utter shock, astounded that she had dared to hit him. Then it was gone, replaced with a rage that she knew all too well.


He came at her again, and she blocked once more, but this time, he kept up the barrage of attacks. She stopped each one, but all of her attacks were foiled as well. Shelves were knocked down and chairs upturned as father and daughter battled. They were destroying the place but it didn’t matter; after all, the house hadn’t been a home for a very long time.


They sprang apart, breathing slightly laboured as they considered their next moves. Sakura knew she wouldn’t be able to beat him with taijutsu alone. Raising her hands, they began to glow with chakra. But he suddenly charged, and her concentration was broken as she was forced to defend. He threw a wave of kunais, and she dodged all but one, earning herself a long scratch along her cheek.


Not bothering to wipe the blood sliding down her face, she shifted back into an attack position. Sakura frowned however, when her vision wavered. She shook her head, but her vision didn’t return to normal; if anything, it got worse.


She heard her father’s cruel laugh. “I can see you’re feeling the effects of the new toy I picked up in the Sand. It’s a paralyzing drug; you coat any sharp implement with it and even the smallest contact with the bloodstream is enough for it to take effect.”


No! She would fight this with everything she had, she would not allow herself to be weak again!


*******


Neji pummeled away at the practice dummy. BAM! BAM! BAM! Over and over he struck the dummy, until it fell apart from the constant force of his blows.


It didn’t help. Clenching his bleeding knuckles, Neji hauled the next practice dummy up.


*******


“D-don’t…touch me…”


Sakura’s voice slurred as the drug continued to circulate her bloodstream. Feebly, she tried to shuffle back, but he moved until he was right in front of her.


“Tsk, tsk, Sakura. I thought you had already learnt this lesson.”


He backhanded her powerfully, sending her to the floor. Before she could even try to get up, he was on her, pinning her down.


Was all her training for nothing? Her newfound strength, abilities, everything: would it gain her nothing in the end?


As her father leered over her, she gathered everything she had left in her, and let her fist fly. It smacked him straight in the nose, and blood spurted everywhere as his nose broke.


“You stupid cunt!”


Howling, Eto moved off her as he tried to staunch the bleeding. Sakura began to drag herself towards the door, and she slowly inched, almost sobbing in frustration at her slow progress and the lassitude she felt in her body.


Suddenly, a hand clamped down on her ankle, and roughly pulled her back.


“NO!”


Flipping her over, Eto grabbed Sakura’s arms and shoved them above her head. She struggled for all that she was worth, twisting and turning despite the drug. She would not go down without a fight. Snarling, Eto pulled out a kunai, and Sakura could only stare with horror and he brought the kunai down, stabbing it through her hands and impaling her to the floor. The pain hit her like a tsunami, and she cried out despite her best efforts.


Oh God. Not again.


*******


Neji ran through the house, not paying any heed to the quizzical looks tossed his way. Something had happened to Sakura, he just knew it. The sickening sense of foreboding that had been growing in him all night had just skyrocketed, and he wasn’t going to ignore it any longer.


And so he ran, praying that he wasn’t too late.


*******


Sakura couldn’t move—the extra drug from the kunai in her hands had rendered her fully paralyzed. So she could only stare up at her father, who now resembled a young child’s nightmare with his broken nose and bloodied face.


Tears began to spill from her eyes as he tore at her clothes, not even bothering to remove them fully. His heavy weight settled on her, and she just wanted to die; oh God, why? Please, not again, please, please.


“You thought you could stop me little girl, didn’t you? Let this be your final lesson: you will never get away from me. You’re too weak to be anything else but mine.”


With that, he thrust into her.


Sakura screamed.


*******


Neji ran faster when he heard Sakura’s scream of pain. Oh God, what was happening to her? He never should have let her leave with her father at the funeral, and now God knew what her father was doing to her. Neji couldn’t stand it.


Pumping his legs for everything they had, Neji spotted the Haruno household. Bolting up the steps, he didn’t bother knocking: he simply kicked the door down and ran in.


There are moments in a person’s life, significant moments, that may last from a brief snapshot to a plethora of them. Length is irrelevant, as all have the same effect: they irrevocably change a person’s life. It may be their character that is changed, their physical or mental state—anything that makes up that person. Whatever it may be, the person if changed by that significant moment, and it is forever imprinted in their minds: the sight, the sound, even the smell of that significant moment. People never forget these moments, whether they are good or bad, and whether they like it or not.


This was without a doubt, one of those moments for Neji.


Horrified, he could only stare at the travesty in front of him. Sakura--still as statue, with wide glassy eyes and hands that had been impaled above her head. All whilst her father violated her, again and again.


Neji had always been one to be in control, always harnessing his emotions and attacking in cold rage. Not this time. A dark, red haze clouded Neji’s vision, and he didn’t fight it; no, he encouraged it, embraced it, until all he could feel was the overwhelming urge to protect what was his. He planned to do that right now.


With a roar of fury, he charged. Byakugan activated and hands glowing with chakra, he grabbed Eto by the arms and hauled him off Sakura. Stunned, Eto couldn’t do anything to stop Neji from sending him through the window.


Neji came after him, vengeance incarnate with murder dancing in his eyes. Eto threw kunais and shurikens, but Neji’s kaiten sent them right back. Neji didn’t give him any more chances to defend himself, Neji falling on him like a whirlwind, mercilessly beating him with the jyuken. When that didn’t prove cathartic enough, he deactivated it, and just resorted to pounding him with his bare fists.


He didn’t dare stop. If he stopped, he would begin to see Sakura’s face again, her battered body, and he would begin to scream. And if he began to scream, he wasn’t sure if he would ever stop. So he would plunge his fists into this…this…monster, and hopefully, the anger would wear itself out. Deep down however, he knew he would never forget this anger.


When Tsunade and Hiashi arrived, Neji was straddling Eto and relentlessly bashing his fists into Eto’s face, over and over again. Such rage, tinged with something so much darker and stronger; it shone from his bright eyes, screamed from his tensed muscles.


“Neji, stop! You’ll kill him!”


“That’s the fucking idea!” Neji yelled as he continued to beat at Eto’s face. “You sick bastard! How could you fucking do that to your own daughter?”


Neji had never lost control like this before. But despite his best efforts, the image of Sakura’s violated body kept flashing in his head like some horrible recurring nightmare, until Neji wanted to shriek in pain.


It took both Tsunade and Hiashi to pull Neji off. Using her strength, Tsunade held onto the enraged shinobi, “Neji! Stop! This isn’t going to help Sakura!”


Sakura’s name was like a switch to the Hyuuga. Sakura…she needed him. It didn’t matter that he was barely in control; he would pull it together. Because she needed him to. And he would.


Neji cast one last glance at the broken man by his feet. He was totally unrecognizable; all the bones in his face shattered, and blood a sick mask. Neji then twisted out of Tsunade’s grasp and ran back to the Haruno household.


He jumped back through the window, not caring about the small cuts that appeared from the broken glass. Sakura still lay there, so pale, it only made the blood that flowed from her hands and from between her legs so much brighter. Oh God, Neji thought the pain would choke him.


His body was shock-still for what felt like an eternity, but was probably only a few seconds. His vision faltered, his throat roiling. He wanted to scream, to wail, to say anything -- but nothing came out.


His hands trembled, and he snapped from his stupor. He darted to his knees, and stared helplessly for a moment. Not sure of what to do. Then he saw that her lips were moving ever so slightly, and he leaned in to hear what she was saying.
“N…N…Ne…Neji…”


“Shh, Sakura. Don’t talk.” He whispered, caressing her cheek with one hand. Neji heard the door open, and immediately went into a defensive crouch, but it was only Tsunade and Hiashi.


“Oh my God.” Tsunade whispered. Hiashi could only stare.


Turning his back on them, Neji wrapped his hands around the kunai in her hands. “Sakura, I’m going to pull this out now, alright? It’s going to hurt, but it has to come out.”


There was the faintest of nods on her part. “…D…do…it…”


“I’m sorry.” Neji pulled the kunai out, and she whimpered at the pain. He immediately picked her up, cradling her gently. She clung to him as best he could, and that’s when the dam broke.


Soft, mumbling cries escaped her throat, not so much words as more primal sounds, tinged with unbelievable pain and fear. Harsh, rasping sobs ripped from her, as though there was some poor, wretched creature deep down inside her who was suffering horribly, and wasn't it awful, just awful, that no one could do anything about it? Neji held her, rocked her back and forth, anything to try and calm the storm. Eyes screwed shut, he pressed his cheek to the top of her head and held her as if he would absorb the pain from her.


“Neji, let me heal her.” Tsunade knelt in front of Neji, and though it cost him, he slowly loosened his grip on Sakura.


Tsunade held Sakura’s hands, a green glow enveloping them as the bloody holes slowly closed. She ran her hands down Sakura’s body, healing the bruises and cuts. Tsunade paused though, when she came to the blood that was running from between Sakura’s legs. How could a father do that to his own daughter? Jaw set, she healed Sakura’s badly torn flesh, and cleared the powerful drug from her system. When it was finished, she removed her green overshirt and laid it over the kunoichi.


Neji bundled it tightly around Sakura, and then moved towards the living room. Sitting down , he picked up one of the blankets on the couch and wrapped that around Sakura as well.


Sakura turned into Neji’s warmth, his strength. God, she needed it so badly, even though she didn’t deserve it. She didn’t deserve him, not after what had just happened. How could she have been so weak?


Tsunade and Hiashi came in, and sat opposite them, watching Neji stroke Sakura’s back soothingly. Though she hated to do it, Tsunade asked, “Sakura…do you think you could tell us what happened?”


Neji’s grip tightened on her, but he let her answer.


“Yes.” She would tell them. She had to. Sakura couldn’t hold such ugliness in her anymore, and Neji, more than anyone, deserved to know the truth.


Neji didn’t say anything, but he nodded and shifted her so that she was sitting in the circle of his arms.


Sakura took a deep breath. It looked like this was it.


“It started one month after the chuunin exam. I had finally realized that my team was not coming back for me, and Ino had just paired off with Tenten. My mother had also contracted cancer, and it was just another heavy blow after so many others. I didn’t realize what it would mean for me. My father had always been a forceful man; never violent, but aggressive and domineering at times. I didn’t know at the time that he had been brutalizing my mother for years, but now he couldn’t because of the risk that he might cause more permanent harm. So he turned to me.”


*******


One year, and eleven months ago…

“Sakura honey, could you come here please?”

Sakura went unquestioningly into her parents’ room, never once wondering what could happen. She loved her parents, they were the once constant in her life; they hadn’t left her like her team or Ino, and they had always given her their unconditional love.


Her father sat on the bed, smiling, and her mother stood next to the bed with a somber expression. Sakura frowned at that; her mother had been unusually subdued these days, but Sakura put it down to the news of her cancer. She didn’t blame her; she was feeling fairly down herself.


No matter, she would be cheerful for her parents.


“Sweetie, we wanted to talk to you about something,” Her mother began.


Sakura smiled. “About what?”


“You know how your mother’s gotten sick.” Her father said, and Sakura nodded. “Now that she’s sick, she can’t love Daddy as much as she used to.”


“What do you mean?”


“She isn’t strong enough to love me as much as she used to. And that’s where you come in. You love Daddy don’t you?”


Sakura was very confused, but nodded, nonetheless. Why was he acting as if he was talking to a little girl?


“Then come over here.”


Despite her naiveté, Sakura was still a smart girl, and alarm bells began ringing at her father’s words, but she still moved towards him. He suddenly moved, and Sakura’s mind span as she was thrown on the bed. She began screaming, her shrieks escalating as he tore her clothes off.


“Daddy?! What are you doing?”


She struggled despite his weight pinning her down, and her father cursed when one of her fists hit his face.


“Momoni! Hold her down!”


Betrayal and a shocked pain greater than anything she had ever felt, ripped through Sakura as her mother moved at her father’s command and held Sakura’s hands above her head. Sakura could only stare up at her mother with wide-eyes, and her mother whispered one word.


“Sorry.”


But that was forgotten as her father raped her for the first time.


*******


Present…


“She held me down for the next three times.” Sakura’s voice had gone flat, a monotone as she told her story. “After that…I didn’t struggle anymore; what would be the point? I had no one to help me, and who would believe me? I got caught up in this vicious cycle, where he would rape me everyday, and each time after, I would heal the injuries he gave me, only to gain new ones the next night. I drew into myself, simply because it was the only place to go. Looking back now, I can see that I was a walking time bomb; I was going to snap any minute.”


Sakura looked up at Neji. “And I did snap, but Neji was there, and he helped me put the pieces back together. These past months have been the best of my life; I can’t begin to tell you how happy I’ve been. But at the funeral, it all came back. And then he took me home.”


Neji brought his hand up, and she clutched at it like a lifeline. “I couldn’t do it anymore. I couldn’t switch off and pretend it was happening. My mother is dead, and I didn’t have that hanging over my head. But it wasn’t just that: I couldn’t let him touch me again, I just couldn’t!” Her words became hysterical, as the emotion came back. The shame of it, the fear and hate she had felt, burned her blood like some fire that would never go away. She couldn’t stand it; she felt so dirty and small inside.


“Sakura, we understand.” Hiashi’s words had no effect on the crying girl.


Neji’s arms tightened, but she shoved at them. “Don’t touch me! How can you bear to touch me? I can’t bear to touch myself! Haven’t you just heard what I said?”


“Of course I did! And I still love you, Sakura. I don’t care if your father raped you; if anything, it makes me care for you more. You’re not that girl who used to let her father rape her and pretend it wasn’t happening.” Neji turned Sakura’s face towards him, and he saw the tears still glimmering in her eyes. It tore at him, that she would think herself dirty. Every word of the Hyuuga’s surprising statement was true: he did love her, and though not many would ever hear that from his own lips, he knew she needed to hear the truth. “You’re not that girl anymore. You’re stronger than that Sakura.”


“Neji is right.” Tsunade murmured softly. There were trails on her own face, where tears had fallen. “You are a different person Sakura. A strong, admirable kunoichi who is an honour to the village of Konoha.”


Sakura gaped. She had just revealed the ugliest in her, and yet, they stayed. They didn’t push her away, revile or look down in disgust. She felt her face crumple, and for the last time, she cried.


“Hiashi, I am making you the permanent guardian of Haruno Sakura. Do you accept her as your ward?”


“Of course.” His answer couldn’t have been any different.


“Good, we will sort out the formalities tomorrow. Neji, take Sakura home, Hiashi and I will deal with Sakura’s father.”


Neji watched the two leave, then turned his attention to the girl in his arms. “I meant it you know.” He whispered. “I love you more than ever, and you’re stuck with me. You can try to push me away, but I’ll never let you go.”


Sakura reached up and hugged him, overcome with it all. “Thank you. Thank you so much Neji, for everything.”


There was the faintest of smirks on Neji’s face, and she smiled at the familiar expression. “Don’t mention it.” He stood up and moved towards the door, only to stop at the re-appearance of Hiashi and Tsunade.


Sakura looked up from Neji’s arms and one glance confirmed her worst fears.


“I’m sorry, but he’s gone.”

As the sun rose, Neji held Sakura to him as she continued to sleep. A week had passed since her father had escaped, and they had spent their days training and simply staying around the house. The Hokage had given them express orders that Sakura would not be without adequate supervision at all times; it was more than certain that her father would try and come back for her. Sakura had accepted that fact and the supervision; she knew that Neji would never let her out of his sight until her father was caught.


Neji had not been sleeping well this past week. He hadn’t been able to, driven to watch over Sakura. He wanted to wrap her up and never let her go, but he knew that whilst she accepted his protectiveness, there was a limit to how much she would tolerate. He sighed. Love was a tricky business.


He was just glad that she was able to stand being touched after what had happened. Though it would have hurt, he would have understood if Sakura had continued to push him away. He just wouldn’t have let her. He had meant every word that night: she was stuck with him, and that meant forever.


Sakura stirred, and he propped himself up on one elbow to watch her awaken.


Those green eyes blinked sleepily, and Neji was struck by a yearning to touch her, to show her exactly how he felt about her. But he couldn’t, not after what had happened.


Sakura looked up at the Hyuuga. A burst of tender emotion sped through her, at the sight of him watching over her. She knew he’d always be there for her, she would never doubt it. She had told him everything, and he hadn’t turned away. It was as if the weight of the world had been lifted from her shoulders: she felt so …free…it was marvelous really. She knew that her father was still at large, and on a certain level it did frighten her, but next to Neji, she was hard-pressed to give it much importance.


“Morning.” She whispered softly


He smiled, and her heart stopped, as it always did when he gave one of his rare smiles. She suspected the real reason why Neji didn’t smile much in public was because of the hordes of lovesick girls who would follow him if he did.


“How are you feeling?”


She stretched experimentally, and near purred in contentment. “Good. Really good.”


“I’m glad.”


A period of silence stretched over them, and they were happy to just lie there and enjoy the other’s presence. Neji studied his beautiful partner. She did seem better; she had been improving every day, as she dealt with what had happened to her.


Sakura looked at Neji, and his piercing stare woke something in her. She could see the desire heating in his gaze, but she could also see how he held himself back, no doubt due to her rather traumatic experiences with sex to date.


But how did she feel about that? There was no disputing that she was more than a little leery of sexual contact, and who could blame her? But it was different with Neji. She knew he would never hurt her, he was incapable of it really. And she loved him so much; would it really be that hard to give herself to him?


Sakura reached out and cupped Neji’s face between her hands. He didn’t say anything as she shifted so that she was half atop him, his eyes wide and questioning. They hadn’t kissed, or anything vaguely beyond comforting touches since that night, and Neji didn’t know what to make of her sudden advances.


“Sakura…”


“It’s ok Neji.” She lowered her face so that her nose touched his. “I’ll tell you if I want you to stop.”


For once, the normally composed Hyuuga was lost for words. “I…but…your father-”


“What about him?” Enjoying herself, she drew back slightly and pouted impishly. “Would you prefer to make love to him?”


“Sakura.”


“Joking, joking! That’s not really appropriate is it?” Her smile faded somewhat. “But I think I am dealing with what he did to me Neji, and joking is just one way for me to put it away. I know you’re scared that you’ll hurt me somehow, or that I’ll be reminded of my father. But you’re not like my father Neji; you couldn’t be if you tried. I love you so much, and I believe in you. You once told me I would see myself clearly if I just believed in myself; shouldn’t you do the same?”


Neji closed his eyes. He wanted to touch her so badly it hurt, but as she had said, he was afraid of hurting her. She believed in him though, believed that he wouldn’t hurt her. And he believed in her. In a roundabout way, it would hopefully be enough.


“You’ll tell me if you want to stop?”


“I promise.” She sealed it with a kiss, touching her mouth to his. From that very first kiss, it was slow and lazy, with such tenderness, it squeezed Sakura’s heart. Wetly, Neji traced the shape of Sakura’s lips with his tongue, then ran it along the seam of her mouth, begging for entrance. She complied, then their tongues twined together, and they groaned at the taste of the other.


Neji reached up and hooked his hands into the collar of her nemaki. Slowly, he pulled it off her, and it gave way easily. Never once breaking the kiss, he ran his hands over her body in a long caress that both soothed and aroused at the same time. Her skin was so soft, and Neji wanted to run his hands over every inch of it. Sakura moaned into the kiss when his hands came up to cup her breasts. He gently massaged the soft flesh, and then rolled her now hard nipples between his fingers.


The shocks of pleasure went straight to Sakura’s nether regions, and she shifted as she felt herself grow damp.


In one swift movement, Neji sat up, and brought his knees up so that Sakura was effectively straddling his lap. Breaking the kiss, he gently pushed Sakura back against his raised legs so that he
could drink in the sight of her.

Long, lovely lines; with small, full breasts, an impossibly slender waist and gently flared hips. Her skin was like silk, but with flushes of pink where his long hands had touched.


Leaning forward, Neji planted a line of kisses down her jaw, and she arched her head back for easier access. He immediately took advantage, moving his mouth down the column of her throat, pausing to lave her pulse point. Sakura shuddered under the nip of his teeth, and moaned when she felt his tongue assuage the small hurt.


Neji continued downwards, and took one aching nipple into his mouth. Sakura clutched at Neji’s head as her nipple was enveloped in the wet warmth of his mouth, and she couldn’t stop her cries when his tongue curled around the sensitive flesh.


At the same time, Neji’s hand swept up her inner thigh, gently tracing patterns on the soft skin. His hand traveled higher, until he encountered her wet folds. Gently, he parted them, running his fingers through their slickness, before easing a long finger into her. Her hips arched into his hand, and he added a second finger, then began to slowly piston them in and out.


Sakura’s head lolled on Neji’s knees as the hazy cocoon of pleasure that had surrounded her suddenly became hotter, making it harder to breathe. The sensations building inside her were incredible and overwhelming as they intensified. The coil of desire tightened low in her belly with each hard pull of his mouth on her nipple, with each deep stroke of his fingers. When his thumb moved to rub across the small bundle of nerves she never even knew she had, it became too much. With a long cry, she came apart in his arms.


When the last of the tremors had left her, she lazily lifted her head to look at Neji. The intensity of the desire in those silver eyes reawakened lust she had thought sated, but she didn’t fight it. He had still yet to find his release.


Sakura pushed the nemaki off Neji’s shoulders, and her eyes roamed over his body. So much grace and power in the hard muscles that roped his frame, and she took in the masculinity that was inherent in every line of his body.


Pressing her hands at his shoulders, she ran them down the hard, flat planes of his chest, stopping to trail across his nipples. Intrigued by his gasp, she leaned forward and captured one in her mouth.


Neji gritted his teeth against the surge of lust as she caressed his nipple with her tongue, mimicking what he had done earlier. He jerked when her small hands encircled the hardness that had been pressing insistently against her stomach, and he knew he had to somehow wrest back control.


He moved her hands off him and pulled her head away from his chest. Before she could speak, he had crushed his lips to hers once more, and she gasped, drawing his tongue even deeper into her mouth.


Slowly, Neji lifted her up, until the tip of his shaft teased her wet folds. He broke the kiss and stares at her solemnly, “Now would be the time to stop me.”


In answer, Sakura reached down and curled her fingers around his aching flesh, fitting him inside her. On a soft inhale, she sank down, her breath gasping out at the feel of him parting her feminine flesh. She wrapped herself around him in a sinuous caress as she finally seated herself upon him all the way. Neji groaned. She was so soft. So wet. So tight. So hot.


For a long moment, neither moved as Sakura’s flesh eased around him, enjoying the feel of his hard body pressed against her softer one. Sakura sighed at the sensation of him inside her: it was wonderful, nothing at all like the pain of her father. Neji had to fight not to move, the feel of her was more exquisite than anything her had ever imagined. He had just gotten his breathing under control when she began to move.


She pulled upwards, and both gasped at the feel of her clinging flesh dragging across his shaft. Then she moved down, and the sensation was equally mind-blowing. Neji’s hands clamped on her hips, and he helped her move until her shallow thrusts became surer.


Sakura could feel the familiar tightening low in her belly that told her it wouldn’t be long now. She increased the speed and depth of her movements, making Neji gasp her name.


Neji accordingly increased the speed at which he thrust up into her, and he angled his hips so that each thrust stimulated that spot inside her.


Names, or parts of them, were gasped as both drew closer to the edge. The thrusts grew shorter, fiercer, and Sakura screamed as her orgasm hit her once more.


“Neji!”


He moaned as the feel of her clenching around him pushed him over the edge, and with one final thrust, he came inside her.


Neji fell back on the bed, still inside Sakura as she rested on top of him. His heart swelled as he stroked the long pink hair that covered them like a blanket, and she shifted under his caress like a contented cat.


She looked up at him, and love shone out of those green eyes, and was returned in his silver ones. Tenderly, he drew her down for a soft, lingering kiss.


Sakura pulled back, and framed his face between her hands. “I love you a hell of a lot right now.”


“Good.” He grabbed one of her hands and nibbled at the fingertips. “It’s only fair you love me the same way I love you.”


Sakura grinned as she kissed Neji on the nose. God, he was glorious, and he was all hers too. A thought occurred to her, and she looked at him quizzically.


He noticed her stare. “What?”


“Neji, was this your first time?”


He nodded.


“Then how did you know what to do?”


Neji looked away, and Sakura was amazed to see a faint blush suffuse his cheeks.


“When you started sleeping in my bed, one of my older cousins took me aside to, uh, explain certain things.”


Sakura gaped as she realized his family had expected this to happen, and had even encouraged it. Then she laughed at the image of Neji getting advice from one of his older cousins on how to make love.


“I’m glad you find it funny.” Neji remarked dryly. She shifted too much though, and her giggles were cut off as she felt him grow hard inside her once more.


“Again?” She questioned, wide-eyed.


“Again.” Neji confirmed as he began to move inside her once more.


*******


Everyone was having lunch by the time Sakura and Neji left his room, and they stared at the pair as they entered the dining room.


A fierce blush bathed Sakura’s cheeks as Neji pulled out a chair for her. He sat down next to her, and there was quiet at the table.


“Good you two could join us.” Hiashi’s voice was the modicum of politeness, but the corner of his mouth escaped his control and tugged upwards in a small, but undeniable smirk.


Mortified, Sakura groaned and covered her face with her hands. Neji patted her consolingly on the back. He had no problems with the embarrassment. He found it all rather amusing.


“Daddy, why is Sakura-chan so red?”


“I have no idea.” Hiashi murmured as he spooned rice into his bowl.


Hanabi scowled and looked at the other members of her family, who were equally straight-faced. Even Neji managed to remain composed. Only Sakura looked like sun burnt tomato. Hanabi climbed over the table and leaned in Sakura’s face.


“Sakura-chan, what were you and Neji-kun doing in his room?”


With a strangled yelp, Sakura looked up and wind milled backwards to see Hanabi’s face only centimeters away from her own. Only Neji’s quick reflexes saved Sakura from an undignified fall.


“So, what did you two-”


“Lunch!”


Hanabi scowled as her father signaled for everyone to begin eating. With unusual enthusiasm, Sakura and Neji dug into their food. Hanabi mentally promised to continue their conversation, and was about to begin eating herself, when the doorbell rang.


“I’ll get it!” Hanabi hopped off her chair and ran for the door. Everyone continued eating, waiting for her to announce who it was. What they got were her hysterical screams.


“Daddy! DADDY!”


Neji and Sakura sped after Hiashi, who snatched Hanabi up into his arms. Sakura moved towards the open door, trying to see what had frightened Hanabi, when she saw what was on the doorstep.


It was a girl. More specifically, what was left of one. Sakura fell to her knees as she stared at the innocent face, smeared with blood. Blood that trailed from the empty sockets where her eyes used to be.


Neji knelt next to her, also shocked by what he saw. Her body was a mutilated mess, with broken bones, multiple lacerations and heavy bruising. She couldn’t have been more than eight.


Sakura tensed as she saw the heavy bleeding from between the girl’s legs. She had been raped, and brutally.


“Th-that’s Yanagi Miho!” Hanabi sobbed from her father’s arms. “She’s in my class at the Academy! What happened to her? Who did this to her?”


Hanabi’s screams went unanswered. With a shaking hand, Sakura turned the girl’s body over. The damage was equally extensive, but what caught Sakura’s attention was the message that had been carved into the girl’s back.


Come to me Sakura; after all, I’ve already come to you.

Daddy.


Sakura ran out onto the grass and began to retch violently. Oh God. That girl had been killed because of her father. Because of her. Tears ran from horrified eyes as the girl’s face swum in her vision. Yanagi Miho. It only made it worse knowing her name; she wasn’t a mangled corpse anymore, she was the remains of what had once been a happy, living girl.


Cool hands pulled her hair from her face, and Sakura leaned into Neji’s strength. Shivering, she turned to him and he held her tightly. He knew what Miho’s body meant.


They heard Hiashi send people to the Hokage, then they tensed when he called for Neji.


“Neji? Could you…come here please…Hanabi’s asking for you.”


He glanced at Sakura, but she shook her head. “No. You go on. I’ll go in a minute.”


Neji stared at her. “Do you know what the message means?”


“No.”


Hearing the truth, Neji went to Hanabi.


Sakura shakily stood and leaned against a nearby tree. No, she didn’t know what the message meant, but she would figure it out.


Come to me Sakura


Well, that was fairly obvious. He wanted her to meet him. But where?


…after all, I’ve already come to you.


Was he referring to how he had left Miho’s body on her doorstep? Possibly, but Sakura didn’t think so. The last portion of the message would tell her where he was waiting for her. He said he had already come to her, Haruno Sakura.


With a gasp, the pieces fell into place.


…I’ve already come to Sakura.


The cherry blossom grove. Her mother had once told her when she was younger, that she had met Sakura’s father there, and they had named their daughter Sakura because of it.


So he was waiting for her at the cherry blossom grove. Well, she’d just have to oblige him, wouldn’t she? With one last look at the body of Yanagi Miho, Sakura set off to meet her father for the last time.