Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mission: Freak Out Kakashi ❯ Love and Dedication ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here is another chapter of Mission: Freak-Out Kakashi. Man, this fanfic got popular really fast. I can't believe the fandom it's picked up during my career in writing it.
 
This is chapter 13! As much as I don't like this couple, there will be unrequited SasuSaku and some KakaSaku as well. Please R & R!
 
Oh if you see the story Acceptance by summer101 please report it, because it was stolen from my KakaSaku one shot, Acceptance, which was written 11/11/05 of last year. Thank you.
 
 
IX.
 
Mission: Freak Out Kakashi
 
By: Melissa Norvell
 
Chapter 13: Love and Dedication
 
 
IX.
 
 
Kakashi pondered on the last thing that Sakura had said to him, wondering how she could teach him to feel anything different then what had been drilled into his mind since he became a genin. How could this girl teach him to desire the companionship of another? Especially when he didn't want that companionship…
 
The Copy Nin had only thought of himself as a bad omen to anyone who even thought of being his friend. He did whatever possible to put a distance or even a few road blocks in between he and the other person.
 
A couple of days later, upon waiting for his students to come back from one of their missions, he decided to visit the memorial stone. He sighed to himself, a slight dejection to his breath as his gloved hand reached out to touch the cool surface of the stone. He could feel the etched names with his finger tips as they ran across one name in particular: Uchiha Obito.
 
The lone ninja felt nostalgia set in as he reminisced of the past-of Rin and Obito. Of the last critical moments before his outlook on being a shinobi changed and he plunged into the depths of organizations like ANBU.
 
The air around him hung with the dejection he felt, causing the aura of the sunny place to change if someone were to pass him walking by. It had been three days since his students were on their mission, and he didn't expect them back in another two. Things felt peaceful and as if they had turned back to normal to an extent, even though a part of him missed Sasuke's broodiness, Naruto's loud mouth and Sakura…
 
He missed her most of all for some reason that he couldn't even comprehend.
 
`I want to be the one to show you. I want to teach you to love…'
 
“Sakura…” A whisper escaped his masked lips as he pondered on the task itself and how much harder it was then said.
 
After the utterance of the word, the ninja was silent for the remainder of his visit at the memorial.
 
 
XI.
 
 
Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura walked down the grassy path, celebrating a mission accomplished and early at that. Naruto was up to his usual ranting and self-absorption.
 
“Did you see that? I totally kicked that guy's ass!” The blond proclaimed, causing an annoyed look to cross Sasuke's face.
 
“You dope, you almost got us killed in the process.”
 
“No joke! You should watch where you're attacking!” Sakura punched him in the back of the head.
 
“Ouch!” The boy grabbed the back of his head. “Hey! I said I was sorry Sakura!”
 
“Sure you are…” She crossed her arms, turning her head momentarily, but as she did so, she could see a figure standing at the memorial stone. “Huh?” She blinked in confusion, as viridian orbs focused on the figure to see that it was her sensei.
 
Naruto and Sasuke walked forward a few paces as Sakura stopped, peering through the greenery at the lone figure. Kakashi held a strange aura about him. It wasn't his usual lazy and laid back aura. He was slumped down and looked rather sad about something, concern bled through green fields.
 
The blond child stopped abruptly, blinking as he realized that something wasn't right. The Uchiha nearly ran into him.
 
“Watch where you're going.”
 
“Where's Sakura?”
 
“Hm?” Onyx eyes looked to the red-clad figure, whose sights were on something in the shrubbery. It was silent for a moment before Sasuke called out to her. “Sakura.”
 
She didn't appear to hear him.
 
“Hey, Sakura.”
 
“Hm?” She finally replied, looking to Sasuke and Naruto, who were staring back at her.
 
“Are you coming?” Sasuke asked.
 
“What do you see Sakura?” The blue eyed boy asked.
 
“I think I see an injured bird. I'll catch up to you guys later.” She said as she ran into the green shrubbery, but after a while she slowed down to a creep as she neared her sensei. She could see his form still staring at the name on the memorial stone.
 
 
“You really miss them, don't you?” She asked, looking to him in concern.
 
“You came back early.” Kakashi said.
 
“Yeah, it was easier then we thought it would be…Well except for Naruto, he almost got us killed.” She signed in exasperation.
 
 
“Why are you here? Did-“
 
“No! Sasuke didn't turn me down again.” She sighed in annoyance. “I didn't even ask Sasuke anything.”
 
A saddened eye looked at her, trying to pull up any defenses that he could muster, but not doing a good job and also knowing that she had already seen him in his moment of vulnerability. He was hoping that his avoidance would turn her away, but it was only drawing her more to him.
 
He should've known that when she had feelings for someone, she was hard to shake.
 
 
“You looked pretty upset about something, are you all right, Kakashi-sensei?” She asked, green orbs looking to him with concern.
 
He looked down at her for a moment, sadness clinging stubbornly to his lone eye as he tried to shake it off. “I'm fine, Sakura-“
 
“Now you can't go lying to me if I'm going to understand you.” She waved her finger, scolding him for being evasive. “You can't say that you're not sad when I see it in your eye, and you can't say you're alright or you wouldn't be here.” Her voice turned soft. “If must be hard…” She looked to the side and downward at the names on the memorial stone. “Losing your friends, then coming here to mourn them everyday…”
 
“Hm?” His eye widened a little as he turned his head at her sentence.
 
She couldn't possibly have known that he came here every morning.
 
“You look caught red-handed, sensei.” She closed her eyes and smiled. “Did I figure you out?”
 
Kakashi said nothing, but refocused his attention on the cold, unmoving stone.
 
“Is this what happens when you get lost on the path of life?” Sakura asked, her features turning serious with an air of sadness to them.
 
“…” He didn't give her an answer.
 
Green orbs blinked as she looked back to him, sensing his aura of sadness. “Because if you do…” The girl spoke unsurely, not completely sure if he was angry with her for something she said. “That's really sad…I mean, I kind of feel sorry for you…”
 
“Don't.”
 
“What?”
 
“Don't feel sorry for me.”
 
“But why not?” Sakura replied. “You're so sad.”
 
“This is what I deserve. It's the life of a shinobi.” He said, putting up an extra heavy defense and not really wanting to get into the depths of his past.
 
“Well, even if it is the life of a shinobi, you said that you didn't necessarily believe in that part of the honor code and that shinobi were supposed to be emotionless tools…Or do you?” Sakura looked skeptically at her teacher. “Were you just making that up? Were you just lying to me?”
 
“Not exactly.”
 
“Then how can you say that it's your fault that you're sad? I don't understand how you can think you deserve this. You're a jounin, an elite, and I bet you've seen things way worse then any of us have. That's why you're so smart. That's why you taught us to see through deception. That's why-“
 
“Sakura, please…” Kakashi told her. “I'm not in the mood.” He tried to defend against her yet again.
 
“Well, I don't believe you should be sad.” She told him strongly, standing her ground. “I don't think your friends would like to see you moping about them everyday.”
 
His eye narrowed. There was that damn phrase again. `Obito wouldn't like it if you were sad, he'd want you to be happy.'
 
“If Sasuke were on this stone, you'd be crying at it everyday.” He said coldly, a little too coldly and inwardly scolded himself for it, though he offered no apology to Sakura.
 
She said nothing, just stared at him with widened eyes for a few moments.
 
Kakashi looked at her, not sure what to make of the look on her face. It could have been many things-shocked, sad…blindsided. Then he could see a flicker of something else cross those fields of green as she began to ball her fists to her sides.
 
“You know what?” She began. “Maybe I would cry if Sasuke died, but it's not what youwould think at all. I'd cry because he's my team mate and my friend. I knew him since I was little, and I did have a crush on him. What if I do? You act like your jealous or something, or maybe you're just shoving it in my face because you think I'm weak. Well I have a few things to tell you, sensei…”
 
The silver haired jounin turned to face her. “And what are those few things, Sakura?” He asked, knowing that he deserved this.
 
“Even though you're being a jerk, I like you. You must be blind though, because I haven't even been paying attention to Sasuke, I've spent all my time with you.” She looked as of she may cry, emotion was building up within her and she couldn't hold it back. “Can't you see?...” The tears began to flow from her glassy orbs. “Can't you see I love you? It's not just a joke anymore. It really hurts me to think that you'd shove Sasuke in my face like that, like I was making a mistake or something…”
 
“Sakura…” Kakashi responded, his voice being a lot softer and gentler then before. He could feel all of those familiar feelings returning, the uneasiness and fear, but he also felt compelled to comfort her. He knew he had probably been too hard on her, and he didn't mean to.
 
It used to be so easy to push her away, but now a day he was finding it harder and harder. He reached a hand out of the girl, to set it upon her shoulder, but she slapped it away fiercely. A moment after she had completed the action, she could feel her heart sink. She had just scolded him about being distant, and the moment he tried to be close.
 
“I'm sorry Kakashi-sensei.” Sakura turned her back to the jounin. “That was totally disrespectful and-“
 
She was cut off by strong arms being wrapped around her, causing the girl to blush a slight pink.
 
“Kakashi-sensei…”
 
“I do understand, Sakura…” He said to her, pulling her close.
 
As the two bodies touched together, she closed her eyes. Sakura felt safe and protected by him. Turning around him his hug, she rested her head on his chest, listening to the slow, rhythmic beating of his scarred heart as she wrapped her arms around his waist.
 
“But sometimes, I wished that you didn't.” He finished.
 
“Maybe someday you'll tell me about what happened to your friends and why you think you deserve this fate…” Pink lips curved into a smile, “And maybe someday, I'll see your true face…And maybe…Just maybe…You'll love me back.”
 
 
TBC
 
 
A/N: Yeah, that was sappy…-_-; Really sappy…Er, sorry about that. I was in angst mode. The next chapter should be better. There will probably be some KakaSaku in it, I'm getting off track of the jokes, but they'll come back, so don't worry I'm just replacing them with FLUFF at the moment. R & R!