Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mission: Freak Out Kakashi ❯ Departure ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Here's another chapter of Mission: Freak Out Kakashi. I hope that you all enjoy this chapter. Sorry for being slow on updates, but I'm writing longer chapters and working a job.
 
 
 
 
Mission: Freak Out Kakashi
 
Chapter 17: Departure
 
By: Melissa Norvell
 
 
 
 
“So…Did you find out anything?” Sasuke asked the clone as the two of them sat high in the branches of one of the tall trees.
 
“Not a thing.” The clone sighed in defeat, as he transformed back into Naruto. “I still don't know what they did that night…But whatever it was, they definitely did something.”
 
“How are you so sure?” Sasuke asked, dark eyes narrowing.
 
“Because she blushed when I mentioned it.”
 
“What?”
 
“Yeah, so I'm sure they did something.” Naruto replied. “She hugged me and told me that she loved me and she had that look in her eyes.”
 
The Uchiha looked slightly confused. “What?”
 
“It was weird. She had this loving and kind look. Her eyes were so soft.” He scratched the back of his head. “It's hard to explain. I think she really does love Kakashi-sensei.”
 
Sasuke turned his head away with a slight `hmpf' as he glared at an invisible point in the air. “She should get over her crushes.” He stood up. “And see that he really doesn't love her.”
 
“I don't know…” Naruto replied, looking to the side, where Kakashi was stationed a distance away, perched on a rock, reading Icha Icha Paradise. “He hasn't exactly been himself. He seems like he at least cares about her more then he did.”
 
“Don't you get it?” The Uchiha argued. “He's just trying to fake her out.”
 
“What do you mean `fake her out'?” The blond looked confused.
 
“He's feeding her ego. He's just going to let her down gently.” He sighed. “Besides, she should be paying more attention to the mission, not oogling over team mates.”
 
Naruto's eye twitched in irritation as the stoic boy turned and walked away. `Ooh! He thinks he's SO great! Listen to him! Criticizing other people like that! I could tell him a few things about himself, that's for sure!'
 
Kakashi sat peacefully, rear end rested on the rock's surface. One hand in his pocket, the other holding his book open. His lone eye scanning over the words. All was silent, minus the occasional flipping of a page and slight shifting of his body.
 
From a distance, small crunches of grass were heard as a petite figure walked closer and closer to him. The crunches seemed to get louder, and more distinguishable with each step. The jounin paid no mind to the oncoming steps, he just continued to read, seeming oblivious to all that was around him as the pace of the steps got a little quicker, inching closer to him.
 
Then they stopped completely.
 
He could feel a presence near him. He paused in the midst of his reading. Knowing who it was.
 
“Kakashi-sensei?” The voice questioned.
 
“Hm?” A lone eye strayed from reading his material to see the kunoichi that it belonged to.
 
It was Haruno Sakura.
 
The man's head turned fully to the girl. Something seemed different about her today. She had a different air to her. She seemed…dare he think it, beautiful. He skin was more healthy and softer looking. Her viridian eyes sparkled in the light and seemed to catch all of the sun's rays. They held great depth. Her lips were pink and full, and her hair was silky and shone in the sun as it wisped around her. Sakura seemed almost angelic to him, and he couldn't help but notice. For a moment in time, he was entranced by her beauty.
 
He paused a moment before speaking. “What is it, Sakura?”
 
“Thank you for telling me that I was doing better with my training.” She beamed. “I feel confident in myself and my ability, and when I come back, I'll be better then ever! You can count on that!” She held up her fist and winked.
 
`But I had complimented her today…' The jounin thought wistfully and then sighed. `Sounds like Naruto is up to his tricks again. But I won't tell her, since she seems so happy about it. After all, I think that a bit of confidence could be just what she needs. But I wonder what ELSE Naruto told her.'
 
“I can't believe that you really think I could be as strong as Naruto or Sasuke.” She told him.
 
“In time you very well could.” Kakashi smiled under his mask.
 
Sakura jumped up and wrapped her arms around his waist, causing him to jolt backwards a little, the orange book tumbled out of his hand and felon the ground face down.
 
“Whoa! Hey!” He cried out in surprise. Instinctively his arms grabbed for the thing closest to him to keep from falling. His arms wrapped around Sakura, clinging tightly to her as they leaned back into the rock.
 
“Oops.” Sakura sweat dropped. “Sorry, Kakashi-sensei. I'm just so happy. Too bad I have to leave today.”
 
“You're leaving?” Kakashi looked befuddled.
 
“Yes, I'm going to go and train. Also, I'll be doing a few missions. When I come back, you'll see a totally different Sakura!”
 
“Before you leave, could we speak in private?” He asked. “There are a few things I would like to discuss with you.”
 
“With me?” The girl blinked. “Well, sure, I guess.”
 
“Come.” He turned, walking away.
 
Sakura followed suite.
 
As soon as they were a distance away from Naruto and Sasuke, Kakashi put his book in the pouch on his backside and turned to face her, a serious expression gracing his features.
 
“You look kind of serious, Kakashi-sensei.”
 
“Are you sure that you can handle yourself?” He asked.
 
“I'm sure. I'm on a mission!”
 
“I'm just concerned.” He replied. “I'd hate it if anything were to happen to you while you were out of my care.”
 
“Kakashi-sensei…” Her voice softened, then everything grew silent between them for a couple of minutes before anyone spoke.
 
“Even though I may not know what I feel at the moment, I sore to protect you with my life. I swore that I wouldn't let you die.” A serious, yet saddened expression crossed his face.
 
A small, feminine hand sat itself atop of his, causing him to look up into her deep, green eyes filled with concern.
 
“Kakashi-sensei, I know you worry about me all of the time.” She looked down. “Mostly because I'm so weak, but that's the reason I'm doing this-to get stronger. I don't want to be protected anymore. I want to be able to stand alone and fight. I want to make you proud of me, Kakashi-sensei.”
 
A cryptic feeling shone in his lone eye. Silently, he made an understanding.
 
`Sakura seems to be growing…in many different ways…' He thought. `Maybe this won't be such a bad experience for her after all.'
 
 
~1~
 
 
Sakura stood before them, ready to depart on her mission.
 
“Well, this is it.” She said.
 
“I wish you didn't have to go, Sakura.” Naruto sighed in dejection.
 
“Naruto…It's not like I'm going away forever. I'll just be a couple of weeks.” Sakura replied.
 
“Well, I'll miss you Sakura.” The blond replied.” I hope you get stronger, maybe we can even spar together when you get back.”
 
“Sure thing.” Sakura replied. “Right after I spar Kakashi-sensei.”
 
“Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?” Naruto's eyes bulged and his mouth dropped.
 
“Are you sure you want to post that challenge?” Kakashi asked.
 
“Yes, I want to spar with you as soon as I get back. By the time I do, you'll be so impressed with my skills that you'll think I'm just as good as Sasuke or Naruto.” She smiled and winked.
 
“Alright. But only if you think you can handle it when you return.” Kakashi placed a hand on her shoulder. “Come back alive.”
 
Viridian eyes shot up to look at darkened ones. A few moments of silent understanding passed between them before the girl's face began to draw closer to his. A silent panic shot through his lone eye as the girl drew closer.
 
“Could I…” She asked, looking shy, flushing slightly and closing her eyes. “Have just one kiss before I leave?”
 
“…” Kakashi remained silent before pondering over what to do. He knew that Sakura might not come back, but he didn't want to think of that option. However, something tugged as his psyche, telling him that this may be his last opportunity.
 
But the question was…opportunity for what? He hadn't decided that he loved her, but at the same time, he couldn't ignore the rising urge to kiss her.
 
His lone eye softened as his body betrayed the ominous thoughts which plagued it and leaned in to kiss her back.
 
Soon, clothed lips pressed against pink ones as the couple shared a gentle kiss.
 
After a minute of kissing, she pulled back slightly and said. “ One of these days, I'll kiss you without your silly mask.”
 
Cold onyx eyes watched from afar. A subtle flash of light pierced trough them as they narrowed. Then in a millisecond's time, they disappeared from sight.
 
 
TBC
 
 
 
A/N: There you go, chapter 17! Hope you enjoyed and be sure to drop me a little review and tell me what you think! Who knows? I may just update faster!