Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Uchiha Sasuke sat atop the Hokage monument looking out over the town. The Hidden Leaf had undergone a few changes since the number one loudmouth disappeared seven years ago, but nothing too drastic. Homes and establishments had been moved, others just updated or remodeled; Hokage Tower had been rebuilt since the attack of Orochimaru, and Hokage monument itself was slowly adding the face of Tsunade, their current Hokage.

Sasuke had undergone a few changes himself; now at the age of twenty-one, he was an ANBU, just recently updated to captain. His hairstyle hadn't changed, of course, only lengthened by about an inch since he was twelve. He normally wore the standard ANBU uniform, but on his days off, such as today, he wore loose black pants and his high-collared navy blue t-shirt with the Uchiha symbol on the back. Of course, despite leaving for Orochimaru and such, he was still the most favored Shinobi in all of Konoha.

"Best view in town." Kakashi mumbled as he approached his ex-student.

Sasuke said nothing, didn't even move.

"What's on your mind, Sasuke-kun?" Kakashi asked as he sat down beside the black haired boy. "You only come up here to think."

"Just thinking about Naruto." He admitted after a few minutes of silence.

"Ah." The silver haired Jounin nodded in understanding. "Hard to believe it's been seven years, ne?"

Sasuke nodded. "Also," He paused before looking over at the older man. "Kakashi-sensei, don't you think it's strange?"

"What is?"

"We're all prepared for war, and yet it's been oddly quiet. We haven't heard anything from Orochimaru or Akatsuki, what do you suppose is going on?" He asked.

"Well, the only reason we ever had trouble with the Akatsuki is because of Naruto and the Kyuubi, now that they're gone, the Akatsuki has no reason to even look at Konoha. And we're prepared for war because we know Orochimaru is still out there, and because it's been so quiet." Kakashi explained.

"What do you suppose happened to Naruto?" Sasuke all but whispered.

Kakashi sighed; when Naruto disappeared, Sasuke had been affected the most out of everyone, something no one understood, not even Kakashi who knew how close the boys had gotten over the years. "I don't know, but I'm sure he's fine, wherever he is."

Sasuke drew his knees up to his chest and hugged them, resting his head on top of his knees. "Do you think he left because of me?"

Kakashi looked over at the boy like he'd gone insane. "You and Naruto were best friends, why would he leave because of you?"

Sasuke glanced at his teacher, a saddened look crossing his features. "Kakashi-sensei, do you remember that mission in Snow Country where Naruto and I got lost?"
Kakashi nodded, "What about it?"

Sasuke sighed as if he was going to continue but paused as he heard voices.

"There should be a good view of the town up here." A female voice chirped.

"We've been traveling non-stop for two days, I just want to go back to the hotel and rest." A male voice grumbled.

"Quit whining." The female huffed.

The two Grass-nin came into view, standing over the face of the third Hokage.

"What a great view." The brunette sighed as she looked out over Hidden Leaf village. "Ne, Jiro-kun, let's stay here for a little while? This town is so quiet and peaceful."

The blue haired man scratched the back of his head. "I don't know..."

Gen gave her best pout, puppy-eyes, bottom lip protruding slightly, and eyebrows drawn together slightly, all despite the fact that he couldn't see half of it; she clasped her hands together in front of her chest and looked up at the blue haired man. "Please, Jiro-kun, just for a little while."

Niro's strong and defiant aura wavered slightly. "I..." This, of course, was all an act, on Naruto's part at least, Niro knew this, but his partner just looked...he was way too good. Niro swallowed the lump in his throat. "O-OK." He murmured, blushing and turning his face away from his partner. He knew 'Gen' was really a guy, but he couldn't help himself, 'she' was just too adorable sometimes.

Gen bounced on her heels, smiling brightly. "Thank you, Jiro-kun." She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek through her mask.

Niro flushed deeply, pushing her away. "Alright already, get off me." He mumbled.

Gen stiffened suddenly, and that's when Niro noticed the other two occupants of the mountainside out of the corner of his eye. Gen relaxed, and began to chatter on about how peaceful the village was. The blue haired man blinked and turned towards them, acting as if he just noticed them, he waved lightly.

The visible eye of the silver haired man crinkled in a smile as he waved back. Niro's only visible eye glanced at his chattering partner before rolling in a sigh; he turned and walked over to the two Leaf-nin. "Hey."

"Yo." The silver haired man greeted. "Visiting?"

"Guess we are now." Niro sighed. "We originally were just passing through, but my friend is very persuasive." He bowed politely before extending a hand. "Saku Jiro."

"Hatake Kakashi." The silver haired man announced as he shook the other's hand.

Gen popped up behind Niro with a smile beneath her mask. "Hello."

"My friend, Himiko Gen. Gen, this is Hatake Kakashi and...his black haired friend." Niro improvised, having not caught the other man's name, although he had some idea.

"Uchiha Sasuke." Kakashi filled in the gaps when Sasuke said nothing.

Gen bowed to the other two gentlemen. "Nice to meet you." She ran a hand through her wavy hair, a contemplative look on her face. "Could you show us a good place to eat?"

"Sure." Kakashi's eye crinkled in a smile as he stood; Sasuke stood as well, dusting himself off.

"Preferably somewhere with ramen, right?" Niro scoffed.

Gen grinned. "Of course." She chirped.

"I know the perfect place." Kakashi told them, hands in his pockets.

"Will you two join us? Our treat." Gen asked; her hands clasped behind her back as she walked between Sasuke and Niro. Sasuke was a couple inches taller than her partner, standing at six foot two; she smirked under her mask knowing that in her male form she was an inch taller than the Uchiha.

Kakashi nodded, "Thanks for the offer. Sasuke-kun?"

"Hn."

Gen looked up at the black haired man and quirked a delicate, sun-kissed eyebrow. "Talkative, aren't you?"

Sasuke glared, he was surprised, but didn't show it, when she met his gaze evenly.

As Niro observed the two, he suddenly understood why they were really there. 'Surveillance, what a load of crap; Itachi sent us here hoping that Naruto would clear up his past in Konoha.' He smiled. 'For once I agree with that jerk.'
________________________________________________________________________

"Ichiraku?" Gen blinked up at the sign curiously. This was one of the buildings that had gone under construction; the ramen stand was now a walk-in restaurant.

"A restaurant that sells purely ramen." Kakashi told her.

Her eyes lit up, she hugged the silver haired man's arm, and then leaned up and kissed his cheek before nearly bouncing into the establishment.

Kakashi blinked, a light blush tinting his cheeks.

Niro's hand rested on Kakashi's shoulder. "Can you tell she likes ramen?" He asked.

The four took a seat at a table, and ate, and then they parted ways.