Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sasuke's breath was labored as he finished his training for the day. He snorted as he sat at the base of a tree, legs stretched out in front of him and arms resting at his sides. He closed his eyes as he tried to calm his breathing; he sensed someone nearing him, and although he didn't recognize who it was, he made no move as he sensed no danger. Soft footsteps stopped in front of him, he could sense the cloud of dust the person produced as they sat beside him, most likely facing him.

There was silence for several moments. When finally Sasuke's breathing evened out, a gentle hand delicately touched his forehead and pushed his sweat-soaked bangs out of his face. The hand disappeared for a couple seconds before a cloth began to wipe the sweat from his forehead and the rest of his face.

His eyes opened slowly; as his vision cleared he looked at the woman sitting beside him. Her messy yet arranged wavy red-brown hair framed her face; soft teal eyes watched his face calmly as she wiped it clean. She smiled gently beneath her mask, the fabric shifting as the muscles in her face moved and constricted. "I just keep bumping into you, Uchiha-san." Her cheery, yet quiet voice nearly caressed him, lulling him secretly.

He didn't answer, just watched her as she wiped the sweat from his face and the edges of his hair before moving towards his neck.

"You must have trained pretty hard." She observed. "But I suppose that's to be expected; Kakashi-san says you were recently promoted to ANBU captain. Congratulations, that's a great honor."

The slightest nod of his head showed he was listening.

She wiped the sweat from the back of his neck and then collarbone. "You're lucky, I'm technically still a Chuunin, and I can't be promoted any higher."

"Why?" His voice was a whisper, only because he didn't want to make the effort to raise it.

She paused her actions and looked up into his eyes, her teal depths saddened but she glanced away. "I'd prefer not to talk about it." She mumbled.

He nodded. "Sorry."

She smiled under her mask. "No need to apologize, there was no way you could have known." She began to wipe the sweat from his collarbone once again; she paused as she reached the neckline of his shirt before pushing it out of the way and wiping at his shoulders.

"Thank you." He murmured.

She pulled away for a moment before wiping a smudge of dirt from his cheek. He scowled at the motherly action.

"So, was Kakashi-san your sensei? You seem close to him." Gen asked.

Sasuke nodded, sitting up. "He was my Genin sensei. He's the only person I can talk to, and trust that they won't pass judgment or anything like that."

"Who was on your Genin team?" Gen cocked her head to the side in a cute gesture of curiosity.

"Sakura was," He paused and his voice lowered. "And a boy named Uzumaki Naruto."

"Did you not like him or something?" Gen asked, mistaking the sadness in his voice for anger.

Sasuke shook his head. "We were rivals, but that doesn't mean I didn't like him. Naruto was my best friend, I miss him a lot."

Gen scooted closer, "Is he dead?" Her eyebrows knitted in concern.

"Maybe, but I highly doubt it. He's too strong, and stubborn to die so easily." At her slightly curious look, he decided to explain. "He disappeared seven years ago."

"Do you know why?" She asked softly.

He shook his head sadly; he took a deep breath, holding back tears that threatened to fall at the memories.

Gentle arms delicately wrapped around his body and hugged him soothingly, gently cradling him in a warm embrace. Sasuke blushed as his head rested against the woman's chest, her full breasts acting as a pillow, but she didn't seem to mind as she held him close. He cautiously wrapped his arms around the teal-eyed woman's waist, and his legs curled closer to his body as Gen leaned against the tree behind her.

He found it odd how at ease he felt around this woman whom he'd only met just last night, it felt as if he'd known her for his entire life. He felt as if he could tell her anything, like he could with Kakashi, and Naruto when he was around.

Her fingers began to stroke through his ebony colored hair in a comforting gesture as she hummed soothingly, her other hand rubbed his back slowly. Sasuke closed his eyes as a few teardrops escaped his long lashes, creating a clean streak down his dirty cheeks.

"You cared for him a lot, ne?" Her quiet voice broke the silence, never once did she pause in her ministrations; she even hummed lightly behind the question.

Sasuke hummed in a positive.

Silence stretched for quite a while, hours even, the only noises were Gen's quiet humming and Sasuke's even breathing. When the teal-eyed woman realized Sasuke was asleep, she simply smiled and continued to hum.

Sasuke woke to the feeling of warmth surrounding him. Something was tangled in his hair; something soft was supporting his head, figuring it to be his pillow, he snuggled closer. Then realization dawned on him and he blushed furiously, too surprised to try and suppress it.

Gen shifted beneath him, her grip loosening. Sasuke pulled away slowly and looked at the woman. She smiled sweetly at him, hidden behind her mask.

"Thank you." He muttered, looking away from her face.

She nodded. "Any time, Uchiha-san. If you ever need to talk, I won't judge you." Her eyes held warmth and genuine sincerity.

His face threatened to crack a smile at the statement. "You too, Himiko-san."

A comfortable silence settled between the two of them for several moments. Sasuke shifted to sit beside Gen and lean against the tree.

"Uchiha-san, why is this village so tense?" Gen asked after several more moments.

"We're prepared for war." Sasuke explained. "When I was twelve, Konoha went to war against Sound and Sand; we're now allies with Sand, but the man who rules Sound is still out to get Konoha, and me. That man's name is Orochimaru; he cursed me during the Chuunin exams, and I went after him for power, so I could become strong and defeat my older brother. Naruto came after me and showed me how much of an idiot I was being. Since then, Orochimaru has made several threats of war on Konoha; when Leaf-nin go out on missions, they run the risk of being attacked by Sound-nin, it's happened several times. I really was an idiot to go to him," Sasuke sighed and ran a hand through his dark bangs. "Since I've come back to Konoha, I've excelled quite rapidly. At thirteen I joined the rank of Chuunin, three days before my sixteenth birthday I became Jounin, at nineteen I become ANBU, and now at twenty-one I'm an ANBU captain. Soon I'll be strong enough to defeat my brother, but until then I have to be patient, I can't rush things like I was trying to in the past."

"Oh." Gen looked at her hands for a few moments. "Your brother?"

"He killed my family, I trusted him. He's responsible for the Uchiha massacre, and I want revenge."

Gen suddenly felt sick, remembering she had hugged Itachi before she left, kissed his cheek even. She didn't like the man, she despised him in fact, but she tolerated him because he was so nice to the triplets; and it was force of habit to kiss and hug the person who gave her a mission before she left, but that was because it was usually her friend Ichi who did so. "I see." She mumbled. "I'm sorry."

"What are you apologizing for?"

Gen caught herself. "I just feel sorry for you, for all you've been through." She explained.

The Uchiha nodded, not really knowing how to respond to that.

The teal-eyed woman stood, knocking dirt from her posterior. "I should get going, it's getting late."

Sasuke stood as well, nodding in agreement.

"See you tomorrow then." Gen smiled cheerfully.

Sasuke grunted in agreement. "Yea." He gasped softly as arms encircled his waist.

Gen closed her eyes and rested her head on his chest, after a few minutes Sasuke returned the hug hesitantly. She smiled, squeezing him tight before releasing him. "Good night." She turned and left the woods, heading back towards town. Sasuke followed a few minutes later to get some much-needed rest.