Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Over the next month and a half, Gen got closer to everyone, Sasuke especially; while Niro got closer to everyone, but mainly Kakashi and Neji for some reason or another, Gen reasoned it was something to do with their eyes.

Sasuke and Gen would often go on walks in the woods to talk. Sasuke found himself starting to like the woman more and more; he found this bad since in his experience, everyone who he got close to got hurt or killed.

Finally, the fateful day came when Niro told his partner they had to leave. To say Gen wasn’t pleased was an understatement, she was furious. She yelled, stomped around, cried, and everything else she could think of to show how upset she was, all the while Niro covered his ears and rolled his one visible eye. When she told everyone else, the girls had similar reactions, while the boys just looked angry.

“When do you leave?” Sakura sniffled as she held Gen’s hands in hers.

“Tomorrow morning.” Niro grumbled.

“Then let’s have a farewell party tonight!” Kiba shouted excitedly. After much debate on what to do and where to go, and much complaining to get some reluctant people to go, they left and headed towards a bar.

Niro shook his head as the first round of sake was served. “I still don’t think this is a good idea. You’re a horrible drunk, Gen.”

“Don’t be such a sore sport, Jiro-kun.” Gen waved a dismissive hand. “I’ll be fine.”

Niro leaned down to whisper in Gen’s ear. “You’ve been getting really close to Sasuke lately, does he know about the brats?”

“No.” She hissed at him. “No one does, so shut up.”

The blue haired man sighed and leaned back in his chair. “I’m not dragging your drunk body home.” He mumbled.

A couple hours later, Kiba, Lee, and Gai were singing on the karaoke stage; Neji and Tenten were cuddled together in a dark corner; Shikamaru was struggling to keep himself upright as Ino leaned on him heavily; Choji, Sakura, Asuma, and Kurenai had all passed out on their tables; Kakashi and Niro were on the verge of sleep as they leaned on each other; Hinata sat with a light blush on her cheeks as she leaned on Shino who looked completely unfazed; and a half conscious Gen sat in a flushed Uchiha’s lap.

“I think it’s about time everyone went home.” The bartender called over the three singing drunks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gen groaned loudly as she rolled over and cuddled into something warm. She sighed in content and snuggled even closer to the warmth she thought was her pillow before she realized something was wrong. Her ‘pillow’ was hard, but soft at the same time, and it was breathing. Before she flipped out, she listened to the heartbeat below her ear.

The other person’s breath hitched and Gen jolted away as if electrocuted, clutching a white cotton sheet over her bare chest.

Wide, bewildered teal eyes met equally surprised ebony-gray eyes; no one moved.

Gen was suddenly aware of her throbbing headache and she clutched her head with one hand. “Hangover.” She rasped.

Sasuke grunted in agreement and he closed his eyes and clutched his head.

Gen blushed furiously, not sure what do say or do. She glanced at the clock on his bedside table and her eyes widened. “Ah, Uchiha-san, can I use your shower?”

Sasuke blushed and nodded, looking away as she slid off the bed, wrapped a sheet around herself, and disappeared into the bathroom connected to the Uchiha’s bedroom.

Sasuke got up slowly, trying not to aggravate his hangover, and got dressed. He folded Gen’s clothes and set them on the bed as he saw them.

The shower stopped and Gen stepped out a few minutes later wrapped in only a towel, she smiled sheepishly.

Try as he might, Sasuke couldn’t help but stare; Gen was beautiful. Nicely tanned skin stretched out over her entire, evenly shaped body. Her wavy red-brown hair and cornflower blonde roots were darkened from the shower; it framed an adorably cubby face, and she had thick, pouty lips and round teal eyes. Without her mask, Gen looked a lot younger than she actually was.

Gen flushed, “Ah, Uchiha-san, my clothes.”

Sasuke shook his head. “Sorry.” He handed her the pile of clothes and she disappeared into the bathroom once again.

When she re-emerged fully clothed, her mask sat bunched up at the base of her neck. She walked over and sat on the edge of the bed beside the dark haired man. “Well…” She tried to say something, but drew a blank on what to say.

Sasuke reached over into her lap and took her hand in his. “I hope this doesn’t sound strange, but I’m not upset that this happened. I really like you, Himiko-san.” He lifted her hand and kissed her knuckles. “I haven’t connected to someone like this in a very long time. I feel almost as if I have known you my entire life.”

Gen flushed. ‘Who knew Sasuke could be so…romantic? But, I can’t do this to him.’ “Uchiha-san…” Gen paused as one of Sasuke’s hands cupped her face and turned it towards him.

Sasuke leaned down and lightly brushed his lips over hers, when she didn’t protest he kissed her softly. After a moment, the kiss deepened and turned into something more passionate.

The second Sasuke’s lips had touched hers, Gen’s mind froze; but after several moments in bliss, she pulled away. Her hands rested on his chest, fisting in his shirt, and her head rested on his shoulder. Sasuke wrapped his arms around her shoulders and rested his head lightly on top of hers.

“Uchiha-san…”

“Sasuke.̶ 1; He corrected.

“Sasuke,” she mumbled into his shirt. “You don’t know anything about me.”

“I can learn.” He told her simply.

Gen pulled away and Sasuke let go of her easily, his hands dropping back into his lap.

Her teal eyes watered as she stood from the bed, Sasuke watched her. She bent at the waist and kissed his cheek tenderly; Sasuke cupped her face and wiped away her tears as she went to pull away. She smiled as she gripped his wrists and pulled his hands away from her face. She cupped his face in her hands and kissed his forehead. “Sasuke, I don’t want to hurt you any more than you already have been in your life.” She told him as she met his gaze evenly. “There is so much you don’t know about me. I’m not who you think I am.” She gave him a chaste kiss on the lips before turning and leaving to meet her partner.

Sasuke sat on his bed for several moments, frozen where she’d left him, before falling back onto his bed with a heavy sigh. He rolled over and took a deep breath, breathing in Gen’s scent of apples, and the faintest hint of honey, the smell reminded him of Naruto for some strange reason. Why did everything good that ever happened to him have to leave or disappear? Was he really meant to live the rest of his life alone?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Gen got to the gate everyone was waiting there to say goodbye to her and her partner. After giving everyone a hug and forcing Niro to at least shake everyone’s hand, they left on their way.

Once they were a safe distance away, Niro poked Gen’s side. “What’s wrong, Uzumaki? You seem upset.” He observed.

Gen shot a glare at the green-eyed man before frowning. “Sasuke,” She was silent for several minutes. “I got too close to all of them, I’ve missed them so much.” Niro nodded in understanding. “I wish I could have gone as my real self.”

Niro shrugged. “You make a good girl.”

Gen huffed and shoved her partner, causing him to stumble slightly. “Let’s get back before someone comes looking for us; and I want to see my kids.” She whined, pouting pitifully.

“All right already.” Niro smirked. “You know, I definitely like the jerk’s brother over the jerk.”

Gen smiled. “Me too.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Do you think we’ll ever see them again?” Sakura asked as she linked arms with her best friend and headed to Ichiraku for brunch.
“I think so, Gen-kun did promise to come to my wedding.” Ino smiled proudly.

“Hey, does anyone know where Sasuke is?” Kiba asked. “I thought he’d be here, he got pretty close to Gen-chan.”

Kakashi shrugged. “He drank a lot last night, I’m sure he’s just resting.”

Everyone nodded in agreement, but Sakura silently promised to go see him after their meal.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Sakura knocked on the door to the Uchiha manor and no one answered, she let herself in; she knew Sasuke wouldn’t mind. She found the black haired boy in his room, fully clothed, with his face buried in his pillows and sheets.

“Sasuke-kun?” She called hesitantly. She walked over to the bed and sat on the edge; her hand rested gently on his back. “Sasuke-kun?” She tried again. “What’s wrong?”

“She’s gone.” Came the muffled reply from the pale skinned man.

“Sasuke?” She inquired. “Are you talking about Gen-kun?”

There was no reply, but Sakura understood; the pink haired woman leaned down and hugged her ex-teammate, he didn’t move, and allowed himself to be held and comforted.

“I’m so sorry.” She whispered. “You liked her a lot, didn’t you? Oh Sasuke-kun, I’m so sorry.”

His body shook beneath hers, trembling, but he did not cry, he wouldn’t.