Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Naruto Drabbles ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Failure
Author: Theablackthorn
For: Annamaemacleod
Rating:
Pairing: Iruka/Naruto
Warnings: BL
 
Iruka hovered over the injured man, taking in all the bandages and the way he was laying on his front. It reminded him so much of when he'd been in a similar position a good few years ago, just after the incident with Mizuki and Naruto.
His hand reached out to stroke the tanned arm closest to him, finger's stretching out even though he didn't want to wake Naruto up from his restful sleep. He couldn't resist reassuring himself he was there, he was alright.
He ran a single stroke across the warm skin before pulling away with a concerted effort, a sigh full of remorse passing his lip's as he slumped back in the uncomfortable plastic seat, his eyes dark , “I am sorry, Naruto. I failed again.”
Iruka hadn't been able to reach him when he had needed him most, the fight between Naruto and Sasuke had been brutal, blood had pooled across the raw earth were the two men had finally collapsed. Sasuke had vanished as he'd come to Naruto's side.
Iruka knew Naruto's healing capacity was much higher due to him being the bijuu, but he couldn't help the guilt or pain that simmered under the surface at the thought of losing his Naruto.
He didn't hear the Hokage slip into the room, until she tapped her foot loudly against the linoleum, arm's folded across her impressive bosom, “What are you sighing about, Iruka? Self-pity isn't like you.”
Iruka turned to Tsunade-sama, eyes dark, brow furrowed, and hands twisting in his lap unconsciously. He looked away from those piercing aquamarine orb's, feeling self conscious under such a forceful gaze, “He's important Hokage-sama, to the village - to me.”
“You love him.”
Wide umber orb's looked up in shock as heat filtered into Iruka's cheeks, he stuttered, “No...it's...that's not...”
Iruka watched as two dainty hands came to rest on the blond woman hips, a clear sign of feminine annoyance, “Don't lie to me, Iruka. You never were very good at it.”
“Yes Hokage-sama.” His eyes shifted away from the irate woman, coming to rest on Naruto, sprawled out in the hospital bed, his tanned skin stark against the white linen's.
A warm hand settled on his shoulder and he looked up at the Hokage with searching eyes, “Iruka, your job is to take care of him here. He has a dream to fulfil, and, though we wish it otherwise, there will be a lot of pain and heartache along that journey. He's a man now - not a child. Do you understand?”
Iruka's eyes drifted once more to Naruto prone figure and he nodded, “Hai, Hokage-sama. But that doesn't mean I won't feel guilty or want to be out there with him.”
The blond woman gave a warm and throaty laugh, “You wouldn't be Iruka we all know and love if you didn't.” He felt her hand move off his shoulder and the quiet tap of her heel's as she slipped out, almost as quietly as she had come.
When he turned back to the bed he was surprised to see twin sky blue orb's staring back at him, a faint smile tilting chapped lip's, “So Iruka-sensei...”
Iruka's eyes remained wide open for a moment, absorbing the fact that Naruto had likely heard everything that Tsunade-sama had said. “I...”
When Naruto started to move around, making clear motion's that he was planning on getting up Iruka quickly forgot his surprise and moved to place to hands carefully on his back, “Stay still you're hurt.”
Naruto chuckled and Iruka could feel the rumble in the blond haired man's chest before one finger crooked at him to come closer. The chuunin dipped down face on a level with Naruto's so he could see the blond.
He stood completely motionless as he felt those same chapped lips press against his own before being withdrawn and a warm breath whispered across his parted lip's, “You're not a failure. You're the kindest, and sneakiest, man I know. Believe it.”
Iruka shook himself out of the daze Naruto's kiss had caused, looking down into twin ceruleans pools, sparkling with mischief, “Hai, Naruto.”
“Now then, come here. ”