Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing's Shadow ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yoshi: You know, I still don't know what to write for this chapter.
Neji: *shocked* No! You DO know what to write! IT IS YOUR DESTINY!!!!
Yoshi: 0.0 *smacks Neji with paper fan* Bad Neji! BAD NEJI!! I told you not to use the d-word any more!! (Everyone knows his spewing got annoying after a while)
Gaara: How can you not know what to write if you're already writing?
Yoshi: I'm making it up as I go along!
Everyone: O.O
Gaara: O.O Get the sedatives!
Rock lee: Yoshi doesn't own any copyrighted material in this fic. *Begins chasing after Yoshi*
{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{ ~}~{~
Chapter 3
The group reappeared in the living room of their house. Kankuro set Temari down as she woke up.
“Uhnnn… Wha? Who… Gaara?” Temari asked drowsily, still waking up.
“Here. Kage's here too,” he answered, glancing at Kage.
You can let go now, you know, Kaku said to her. She realized that her hand was still tightly gripping Gaara's shirt. She quickly let go.
“Scared of warps?” Kankuro asked, going to putter around in the kitchen, “I don't blame you, what with the warps they perform at that school.” A hand popped out of the sliding door and waved in the general direction of the school.
Kage shuddered, “They're so….jolting, I suppose.”
Temari grinned, “There IS a reason we keep him around you know.” She jerked her thumb at Gaara, who stared at her with a disinterested expression.
“What about Kankuro? I haven't figured out why we keep him.” Kage smiled at Gaara's bland statement, clearly posing the question to Kankuro himself.
The said person poked his head out of the kitchen door, “You keep me around to open jars, duh.” Then he flitted back inside. “What about Temari, though? She doesn't do anything useful.” Kankuro called in return, a smile in his voice.
A serious death glare came from Temari. Kage was glad she wasn't the target of the gaze.
“Can any one of YOU idiots organize the village?” the eldest sibling asked primly, as she smoothed out the package she had just pulled out of a drawer.
“Uh, no.” all three replied in unison.
“That's why we told the officials to ask you, and not us,” Kankuro continued.
Temari frowned, “I was wondering how they found me.” She shook her head, and beckoned Kage over, “Here. This is your birthday present from us. Gaara had the idea, though.” Kage cautiously took the package that the blond offered. If Kankuro had helped in any way, then she had to be careful of gag traps.
“Don't worry. He didn't set it.” Gaara murmured over her shoulder. She sighed thankfully before carefully opening the package. Kage gasped once she saw what was inside.
With the soft rustle of silk, the half-kimono unfolded. She gaped at it. It must of cost so much to get it made! The main part of it was a deep red, with mystic gold lining and a sash of the same color. When she turned it around, an impossibly black bird was sewn on the back.
“A Phoenix.” Gaara explained, gesturing at the bird.
Kankuro walked out of the kitchen wiping his hands on a towel. “I don't understand why you requested that it had to be black. Phoenixes are red and gold and…and…well, anything EXCEPT black!” He seemed to be completely unaware of the dash of flour on his nose. Gaara, however, wasn't.
He reached up and wiped the flour off of his older brother's nose, causing Kankuro to jerk back with a startled oath.
“Flour,” was all Gaara offered by way of explanation, “And I know phoenixes aren't black. That's why this one's special. Because it is.”
“May we lowly servants ask Sabaku no Gaara WHY?” Temari asked teasingly. When Kankuro smeared even more flour over his nose with the towel as he tried to wipe off the nonexistent remnants of flour, she stood up and gave her hapless brother a mirror.
“No, you may not.” Gaara responded, unruffled by the happenings, “And don't ask again. You'll figure it out eventually.”
Because she's YOUR shadow, and nobody else's? Kaku asked the youngest sibling, not realizing that Kage could hear everything he said.
That's part of it, yes. She is my shadow, literally and figuratively. Gaara replied. But, there's more to it than even you know, Kaku. His eyes went distant at that statement, and, if Kage didn't know better, she could have sworn there was a trace of guilt there.
She can hear us, you know. Quite clearly, from the look on her face. Kaku said matter-of-factly, showing he had known from the start she could hear the conversation.
…You established connection? Are you mad? The exclamation was hurried and troubled. Kage noticed that he stiffened as he thought this to Kaku.
“Gaara? What's the matter?” Kankuro looked up from where he was tussling with Temari.
Gaara flinched and just looked away, “I'm thinking.”
“Don't hurt yourself, otouto.” Temari joked, pinning Kankuro to the floor, “You're meant to wear that, you know.” She pointed at the half-kimono Kage was still holding.
“…oh,” Kage said, fumbling for the right words, “I'm sorry. It's just, so nice to look at.” She slipped it on, enjoying the feel of the fabric against her skin. Tying the sash proved to be a problem, as the slick material kept sliding loose. Finally, though, she managed to get it tied. The clothes fit nicely, not being too tight, nor being too loose. The hem ended about an inch above her shuriken and kunai holders, which meant she didn't have to brush the heavy silk material out of the way to be able to slash someone. That was good. It meant less work for her.
{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{ ~}~{~
Gaara, what's the matter with me sustaining contact with her? Kaku asked Gaara with surprise. The violence of Gaara's statement had startled him into silence for a long time.
Everything, Kaku! Just… Gaara didn't seem to be able to put his frustration into words. He pressed his forehead against the wall. For a moment, the 17-year old was happy he could slip away without being noticed. It meant he could talk out loud to the INCREDIBLY stupid tanuki he was bonded with. This was one of the times he wished he hadn't been saddled with the inquisitive demon, but his father just HAD to experiment.
`Just' what? Kaku probed, even more curious than before, if that was possible. You love me, don't you? So answer in a complete sentence.
No, I don't love you. You're annoying, Kaku. But… Do you remember what happened when she first got drained of chakra? Gaara returned, scowling mentally at the tanuki.
Yeah. That was the first time I've EVER seen you faint. Kaku said, pondering what in the world this had to do with him contacting Kage.
“You are SO stupid, Kaku.” Gaara muttered, I fainted because my chakra had been drained into her body! When her body gets weak, it naturally drains the strongest source of chakra it knows. If that happens again, she won't drain me.
She won't? Why not?
…BECAUSE SHE'LL DRAIN YOU INSTEAD!!! You have more chakra than I do, or did you forget that too? Gaara snapped, uncharacteristically angry.
Dang, you're serious about this. Kaku remarked, ignoring the `No, Really?' Gaara sullenly shot his way. I can't believe you're that worried about me, though. Thanks for the concern, but I'll take care of myself when the time comes.
There was a silence. Gaara knew Kaku was waiting for him to say something.
If the time comes. Kaku finished.
Whatever, Shukaku. Just. Whatever. I'm going to laugh when you get drained, that's all. Gaara said, sounding tired.
Nah, I doubt that, right, dove? He won't laugh. Shukaku, tanuki of the Sand village, sent this question right to Kage, who had come down the hallway once she had finished admiring herself.
He won't laugh, Kaku. She slipped into Gaara's nickname for the demon, Much. Kage's golden eyes locked on his and she twirled around, “Well, how do I look?” she asked, stopping and adjusting the folds to make the outfit more comfortable.
Gaara looked her up and down. He had chosen the colors right, after all. The dark red lent a sheen to her white-silver hair, while the gold complimented her eyes.
Beautiful, dove. It looks wonderful on you, Shukaku murmured with admiration, turning to his medium, Right?
“Yes. I'm glad you like it,” he agreed, nodding slowly.
A rare grin lit up her face and she glowed under the flattering. “It's very nice…” She paused, blushing slightly, “…thank you.” Kage whispered, looking down at the floor.
Gaara cocked his head to the side, his lips curving into a barely perceptible, soft smile. He didn't know why, but her smile was so infectious, it made him want to join her and begin laughing, a very strange thing for him.
“You're welcome,” he replied, bowing slightly.
Now, if you two would stop flirting, you would go feed me! I'm HUNGRY!! Shukaku plaintively whined, spoiling the perfect smile on Kage's face as it disappeared into rolling eyes and a sigh. Gaara wanted to strangle him. It was very rare to hear the girl's voice, even more so to him because he could read her movements and tell what she wanted to say.
…Feed me ramen. Kaku requested suddenly, making Gaara want to strangle him even more than before.
“You are NOT turning into Uzumaki, alright?” he muttered, his face slipping behind it's blank mask again.
Agreed, just FEED ME!!! GET IN MY BELLY!! Kaku bellowed, nearly blowing his medium over, and succeeding in knocking Kage off balance. She tripped and Gaara reflexively moved to catch her.
When she looked up, her face turned red again, this time was because she should have been able to keep her feet.
“Just brace yourself when Kaku gets hungry. He does that a lot.” Gaara's arm was wrapped around her shoulders as he set her upright. “Come on, let's feed the demon.”
Literally. Kage thought to him, walking out to the living room again.
Quite literally. Kaku muttered, sullen about being made fun of.
…Too literally. Gaara finished the round as they entered the room, “Kankuro, is food done?” he asked, slipping his arm off Kage's shoulders.
“No, but if you want food now…”
Which I do, thank you very much!!! The tanuki interrupted.
“…there's ramen in the pantry.” Kankuro finished, unaware of the silent intrusion.
Temari looked at Gaara strangely, “I swear, you're turning into Naruto. You hardly ever wait for the food to get done, so you eat ramen. What's this, 5 nights in a row, or something?”
…Kaku, she has a point. Why so much ramen? Is regular food that nasty now? He asked, shuddering at the possibility of turning into Naruto.
But I'm hungry now……Please? Shukaku pleaded, but Gaara wanted real food for once. “I'll wait.”
“How long until the food is done?” Kage asked, viewing the back of her kimono in the mirror. Gaara watched the fascination in her eyes turn into gratitude. “Now I'm REALLY glad I wear black tank-tops and black shorts. Otherwise…” she stopped and turned red, “It's just nasty.”
“Yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't want to show off your underwear every time you kick, or twirl.” Kankuro murmured, looking in on the food. “It'll take fifteen minutes for the food, by the way.”
“I won't wait that long.” When his siblings looked up and tried to pinpoint the source of the voice, he knew that Kage and himself weren't the only ones to hear the voice for once.
~Oh god. What are you doing, Kaku? Are you really that stupid?~ Gaara sighed and put his forehead in his hands.
Suddenly, he felt sick. Something was wrong. Something was VERY wrong. Something that wasn't supposed to happen was trying to happen. It felt like when he last used Tanuki Sleep. There was a peculiar wrenching effect that made him want to throw up, but he never did. When he did that, however, he felt like he was being pushed out from the control seat and being put at back-up driver. Now Gaara sensed a separation, as if there was an object trying to get away, but he was hanging on to it as if his life depended on it.
“Gaara, let me go. This had to happen sometime.” Shukaku told him. Gaara forced his mind to let go of the object. An abrupt rendering sensation made him disorientated for a second, but he focused on a cyclone of sand that appeared in the room's middle. A form made itself apparent as the sand began to die away…
{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{~}~{ ~}~{~
Yoshi: @.@
Rock Lee: *pants* Dang, she runs fast!
Everyone: *pants and nods*
Naruto: …too fast.
Gaara: *holds up empty syringe* Well, at least we finally got her…
Kyuubi: Yeah, but now who's gonna write the next chapter?
Everyone: *points at sleeping Yoshi* She is. When she wakes up.
Itachi: … In about 48 hours.
Everyone except Itachi and Orochimaru: That long? What happened?
Orochimaru: Its not MY fault someone put in elephant tranquilizers, which, of course, only I have access to.
Gaara: For that, you will take a visit to my summer home.
Orochimaru: *mocking* Oooooooo, I'm scared!
Gaara: *glares* …I wasn't finished. My summer home IN HELL!!
*ominous background music begins playing*
Everyone except Orochimaru and Gaara: Dun dun dun….(my friends do this a lot)