Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Puzzle Called War ❯ The First Move ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I've been called insane, crazy, and stupid, but this was just plain ridiculous.
 
I was sitting in some shop of Suna, you know, getting my supplies for this journey and all. There was a boy selling cheap newspapers, so I decided to buy one just to stay updated with the times. I didn't pay attention to the cover at first, but I scanned through everything else quickly.
 
“The place seems kind of empty…” I muttered to myself. It was true, only like four people including me were in the shop. Even as I walked around the place a while, no one was in sight. It looked abandoned, like everyone just hopped up and left.
 
“Ummm…miss?” The waiter asked, almost nervous. I looked up at him and waited. “I'm sorry, but we're closing early today….”
 
“Eh? Why?” I asked, curious. Maybe this had something to do with the ghost town around here.
 
“Well, um, sorry!” The waiter flustered before turning quickly and running away into the employees room. I blinked twice, staring after him. Was there some kind of rumor going around that scared everyone away? If it was a bandit or something, I'm sure I could take him. Maybe then people would start coming back.
 
“Haven't you heard?” An old raspy voice asked. I turned to look at an old man walking up to my table, leaning on his cane. He had a pipe in his mouth, and every few seconds a puff of smoke would blow out. I found it amusing.
 
“It's been going around everywhere these days, for the past few weeks. There's word out a war is going to break out, a war of ninja. Everyone around here ran away because this town is on the border to other countries.” The old man said. He turned and hobbled on his cane to leave the shop.
 
“Oh,” I said, not really caring. Those kinds of rumors always go around near the borders of any country. People usually came back in a few weeks when they think nothing has happened. I shrugged and stood up from my seat, dropping the newspaper from my lap. There, in big black letters on the front cover read:
 
THE LAND OF SOUND AS OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED WAR AGAINST ANY COUNTRIES SIDING WITH THE LAND OF FIRE. ALLIES OR REBELS WILL BE ANNIHILATED. THIS IS OFFICIAL WORD FROM THE LEADER OF THE LAND OF SOUND, OROCHIMARU.
 
I stared blankly at the newspaper sitting on my feet. None of the words made any sense to me. My brain refused to make sense of the words in bold letters. It took a while, but all the strokes of the kanji finally made sense.
 
“What?!” I hissed out loud. A little girl sitting across from me with her mother whimpered at my reaction to whatever she thought I read.
 
I stomped out of the shop without paying my bill and headed full speed towards the office of the Kazekage. Did the fool even know about the war?! I assumed he didn't because there was no way in seven hells he'd let Zakura leave the country, no matter how she could take care of herself. I doubt even Konoha knew about it.
 
But that doesn't even make sense! Last time I heard, Sasuke totally wiped him out! Hold up a sec- He did! I suddenly remembered an encounter in a forest with a certain someone. I remember seeing the other half of that person's face under the cloak's hood he wore. They now shared a body, and he was still alive. The bastard.
 
Kabuto!
 
“Ugh, ugh, ugh!!” I snarled. It was official ladies and gents. We were gonna be reduced dust bunnies on the very ground we stand on! Plus, we'd be snake food! This was really bad. The Akatsuki would never side with us. It would be a perfect chance for them to get Naruto and the other jinchuuriki.
 
“Hey, it's against the rules to pass the perimeter without permission to the Kazekage's office!” A ninja guard called after me.
 
“Wait a minute! Show some respect and STOP!!” Another guard shouted after me. My left eye twitched. I turned around and clenched my hands to stop them from hitting anything.
 
“I haven't had respect since the day I was born bitch!” I corrected shouting back, then turned towards the office. As I ran, I added, “And for the record, I don't even know what respect means!”
 
I was running for a few minutes until something slithered around me ankles, causing me to stop and fall flat on my face. I clawed at the ground, trying to get free. It made me feel like a dog trying to gnaw its arm off to get free. Wow.
 
“Who are you?” A stoic voice asked. I barely paid attention. My fingers were still clawing to escape somehow.
 
For a moment, I actually considered gnawing my legs off like a dog would.
 
I mentally smacked my forehead. Why the hell would I stoop so low as to bite my legs off?! That would make my escape even harder! It wouldn't even be an escape at all! I'd just be the kunoichi with no legs who was a dumbass for biting them off!
 
“Answer me woman!” The voice demanded. I felt my eye twitch again.
 
“I don't have to answer shit, so fuck off!” I yelled, looking up at my annoying trapper. Emerald eyes met pale green ones. I noticed the kanji on his forehead.
 
Aw hell.
 
“It's Sakura, you mofo! The used to be pink and black haired bitch that hung around Zakura all the time!” I retorted. Now it was his turn for his eye to twitch.
 
“Some things never change…” Gaara muttered, holding a hand out to help me. I ignored it and jumped back onto my feet.
 
“Do you know about Orochimaru declaring war?!” I demanded.
 
“Orochimaru is dead.” Gaara stated. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.
 
“Wrong! We were searching for Sasuke because a nin-dog caught his sent with some others he's traveling with. Kabuto found us looking around, and he morphed himself with Orochimaru. He ain't dead.” I corrected, growling mostly at the end.
 
If the situation weren't so serious, I would've laughed at Gaara's facial expression. It was a look between the lines of `Oh shit!' and `Son of bitch!'. But my lips twitched anyway, so I just let myself smirk to hide the smile.
 
“Oh, and Zakura and Temari probably won't be safe either since they're in `enemy take down #1' area. You should send a messenger hawk to tell them about the war.” I added, mostly just for kicks.
 
He just stood there, expressionless. Was he really going to stare at me the whole time? I started to wonder whether he actually heard me or not. But could he not? It was pretty simple to send a messenger hawk out. Yea, I'm peeved about the war thing and a little scared, but you can't just stand there and hope it's a lie. That's how you get killed off first.
 
Just as he was about to finally speak, a scary shrill sounded. “Lord Gaara!!”
 
I could of sworn for a second I saw Gaara gag. Or maybe that was I…Anyway; I turned to see a whole bunch of girls like a mob running towards us. This reminded me of the days back in the Academy when girls used to chase Sasuke. I had a sudden urge to run away and hide somewhere. Honestly, fan girls scared me.
 
“Let's go.” Gaara said flatly. I spun around to look at him, but all I saw was his small figure in the distance and dust flying up from his path. Well goddamn he's fast.
 
“I don't have time for this!” I complained, chasing after him. Those girls were still running after him. They looked like they were ready to kill me. I felt like telling them I didn't have any relationship with him whatsoever, but then I'd be lying. We were…friends I guess. Eh, they'd probably kill me for that anyway…
 
We ended up back in his office, the safe place.
 
“You have to deal with this everyday?!” I demanded, out of breath. Gaara just grunted, trying to regain his composure.
 
“I'm running out of hiding places.” Gaara admitted sullenly. I stared up at him like he had three heads. He was running out of hiding places?!
 
“They act like they have rabies!” I yelled. “I swear those girls were twitching and foaming when we ran away! It was like they were having seizures while running!!”
 
“Baki!” Gaara called. The ninja appeared in the doorway and walked in.
 
“Yes, sir?” Baki asked.
 
“Alert the elders and everyone in the building. Orochimaru is not dead and the war is real. This is urgent so send out word through the village. Send a messenger hawk to Konoha and warn them. Copy down the proposal in the newspaper, go!” Gaara commanded. The ninja stiffened and dashed out to the hallway.
 
“Great. We're having a war worse than three years ago, and more countries will be involved. I already know why he's doing this. To kill and acquire any strong jutsu or bloodlines he can snatch. He'll pick all the streets clean, dammit!” I hissed.
 
This would only delay my chance to grab Sasuke and find him. He'll probably stay away from any countries involved so nothing can get in his way. Or even worse, he'll join up with them to destroy Konoha like Itachi had told me. But there is a sort of bright side. He could team up with us and destroy them, only because he wants to kill us all himself. But that was really unlikely. I'll keep it in mind anyway.
 
“You came to Suna to warn us?” Gaara asked.
 
“I came to Suna to have some tea and read a newspaper to keep up with the times. I just happened to see it, that's all. You can't leave your allies unprotected, without a warning. That wouldn't be right, now would it?” I answered.
 
“Well, thank you.” Gaara said. I nodded in response. Did Sasuke even know about the war, or that he failed in really `killing' Orochimaru? Maybe he knew somewhere in his mind he'd find a way to come back. After all, he spared Kabuto. There was no grudge against him, until now. I hoped.
 
“I should really be going now. I didn't come here to play commando.” I sighed, heading for the door.
 
“Still looking?” Gaara asked, before I closed the door. I just nodded and shut the door behind me. If I could find him, then maybe he could help us put a stop to this. All I wanted was to find him and say what I needed to, and then he could run off with any girl he wanted no matter how mad I'd get.
 
“This is crazy.” I whispered. I promised him that I'd hunt him down in 3 years, and that's exactly what I'm doing. Sure, a ninja could kill me. But I won't die. I refuse to die until I see Sasuke. Only he can make me die. Only he can kill me dead.
 
But there's one thing he can't do. He can't stay away from me, not after I find him, not ever. He'll always be in my grasp, even when I die. He will always be mind, no matter what girl he runs off with. Sasuke Uchiha is my clutches, not Orochimaru's, not the Akatsuki's, not some girl's. When I'm dead, he's still mine, I swear.
 
I refuse to rest in peace. Nothing can put my weary soul at rest. Not even Sasuke.
 
---Back in Konoha Zakura POV
 
“How long do you plan on messing around with everyone?” Tsunade asked, moving her chess piece.
 
“Just long enough until things go in my favor. The locket, the music, they've been serving their purposes well. What can I say? I'm a genius.” I answered, blocking her move.
 
“So you honestly think you're doing the right thing?” Tsunade demanded, not bothering to make a move.
 
“I'm not the good guy or the bad guy. So who knows whether it's right or wrong? I'm only helping the game go along, is all.” I confessed.
 
“So this is just a game to you, like chess? Are you serious?!” Tsunade hissed. I remained calm.
 
“No, I'm not the one playing games, Orochimaru is. Think of it this way. We are the pawns and he's the so-called king of this came. I am the queen of this game, meaning I control some of it too. I won't let him have his ways, but I certainly will have my fun too. Sakura will find the man in the locket, just as Naruto kept his being in the music box. Now see what happened? He finally let go.” I explained.
 
“Your riddles are ridiculous.” Tsunade grumbled. I snorted.
 
“Are you afraid of them game? It's not like you can back out. We were trapped since day one.” I said. Tsunade sighed in annoyance. “I sense clever move has been played by him. It could obliterate us all.”
 
“What do you mean?” Tsunade asked.
 
“Isn't it obvious. War is approaching. Everyone is running away because they are scared, but there is no place to run. He's coming to massacre and obtain anything he can grab. So your question is right, am I doing the right thing? For all I know, I could be playing right into his hands.” I said.
 
“But you still think we have a chance.” Tsunade realized. I nodded sagely. “How so?”
 
“Just because he made a clever move doesn't mean we can't counterattack. Chess is a two player game, remember?” I smirked.
 
“How do know this will work, honestly!” Tsunade asked.
 
“I told you already. This revolves around Sakura and her locker right now. Our existence rests in her hands now, and I'm sure she realized that. Sakura will stop at nothing to find him, and he won't stop to destroy us. Sasuke wants to do this on his own. She knows, and I know. We'll be okay.” I explained again.
 
“You knew this would happen since you first appeared in her body.” Tsunade accused.
 
“You always have to plan ahead of war that could start. I thought way ahead of Orochimaru when I found out he had eyes for Sasuke. So I gained eyes for Sakura.” I admitted.
 
“But what about you? What about Naruto-”
 
“All in due time. I will tell him eventually…when I figure things out for myself. Right now, he really shouldn't know.”
 
“So you're going to keep him from knowing-”
 
“All the pieces of the puzzle haven't gathered yet. We fight now, worry later.”
 
“…Right.”
 
“I already know when to say it. After all, it was Jiraiya's dying wish. We already spoke about it.” I whispered.
 
“Don't talk about him…” Tsunade muttered.
 
“Sorry.” I apologized.
 
“Yea.” Tsunade whispered.
 
“Lady Tsunade!” Shizune yelled flying threw the door with her little pig Ton-Ton.
 
“What is it?” Tsunade demanded.
 
“The Kazekage sent us an urgent message! Here!” Shizune shrieked, shoving the paper in Tsunade's face. I glared at the crinkled paper in confusion. Why would Gaara send a message so quickly like that? Why didn't I know anything about it?
 
“WHAT?!” Tsunade exploded, flying from her chair. I flinched at her abruptness. Did Gaara blab about something I did and demands I'm sent back? I didn't do anything that bad! Knocking over a few priceless statues isn't that bad…right?
 
“What was it?” My voice trembled, afraid to ask. I remember the last time I got in trouble for spilling tea all over an ancient scroll. Ugh! First Gaara yelled, and then the Elders droned on about my punishment.
 
“War. Orochimaru. Soon.” Tsunade managed to say, still fuming about it. I stared at her for a second in shock. Was she for real?! War, against the top snake Orochimaru?!
 
“HELLZ YEA!! BEAT THAT BITCH WITH A BAT! WOOT!!” I screeched. They stared at me in shock. “What?”
 
“How can you be happy?! This is war against Orochimaru! This is serious!” Shizune demanded, not happy with my reaction.
 
“What are you talking about? Obviously this is bad, but there's a bright side. We totally got this, dude. We can kill off the snake bastard and all his cronies too! Isn't this awesome?! It's like a final battle going out with a bang! I'll be sure to kick his ass personally for both villages! Yea!” I yelled, punching and kicking the air.
 
Ah, the smell of fresh war in the morning. How I loved it! This was so totally WICKED!! Finally!! A war against the most hated country ever for the last time ever! This was our only chance to get back at them. I knew it! I was right! War is inevitable. And with my plans kickin' into high gear, it'll be an official manslaughter. I can see Sound ninja laying everywhere and blood splattering in the air. Hellz yeah!
 
“Oh my god! We have to contact our allies from other villages and warn them! We have to barricade the village! We have to evacuate the village to safer hiding places! The ninja have to assemble for a meeting! ANBU have to stand guard in certain areas. We need ninja for sniper attacks! This is…!” Shizune babbled, pacing across the room. I rolled my eyes. We had time for that.
 
“Send out hawks to the other villages and send them to the ninja in the villages. They have to report here immediately. Just let them scatter around the village. The ninja know the signal. I'll start thinking of some kind of formation and plan. Zakura, sit your ass down and help me.” Tsunade ordered. I crossed my arms as Shizune flurried out.
 
“I'll be the one doing the formations and planning. All you need to do is look nice.” I declared. She glared at me. “What are you glaring for?! You told me to help!”
 
“Whatever…” Tsunade grumbled. I rolled my eyes again at her annoyance. Why did people always panic before a war? They were exciting, and this was the best yet! This would get written down in history for sure.
 
W-O-W!!!!
 
 
“Are you serious, Granny?” Naruto demanded yelling..
 
“One hundred percent serious.” Tsunade answered. Damn.
 
“Alright, listen up ladies and gents.” I called, rolling in with a chair that had wheels on the legs. I noticed a lot of the guys staring at me. Ha ha. “I was thinking of a plan to kick their asses, but your opinion counts the most. Let's put our heads together and think of something we can all agree on. You, pale dude with green hair, go.”
 
“We have to evacuate the village.” He suggested, winking. I winked back and wrote it on a pad. He didn't have a chance. Someone else raised their hand. I rolled in their direction and pointed to her. “You.”
 
“Some of us need to guard the gates and be lookouts.” She said. My pen scratched on the pad. Another hand. “Blondie.”
 
“We could use the forests for sneak attacks and ambush.” He murmured. The pen went across the paper again. I watched him mouth the numbers of his house address to me. Oh, come on!
 
A lot of people started speaking up and the pen scratched nonstop.
 
“So the plan is to have ninja already waiting outside the wall for the attack. They'd come in and fight the front line. When some of the enemy got by into the forest, the ambush would begin. We'll use bombs, summoning, and kunai. After the smoke clears, we search for any survivors with nin dogs. Am I right so far?” I started.
 
Everyone nodded in agreement.
 
“Anyone that's found is questioned, then terminated. If anyone else gets past into the village, most of the ninja will be waiting there. You will hide in any places that your element is accustomed to. Water, trees, the sky- go wherever you have the advantage! Oh yea, we'll also have ambush underground, but I'll have to discuss with the Kazekage what his plans are. The ambush underground might be their job.” I continued the plan.
 
“Does everyone understand?” Tsunade asked, confused at the sudden silence. I smirked.
 
“Yes ma'am!” They all yelled. I could barely hear her trilling laugh in all the yelling.
 
“We'll start the drills and standing points tomorrow. Dismissed!” I announced. I turned and murmured to Tsunade, “I really should get back to Suna before `you know who' has a heart attack…”
 
“Oh….Oh! Okay, I get it. Bye!” She whispered. I almost laughed at her confusion for a second.
 
“Naruto,” I whispered, tapping his shoulder. He spun around and gave me his foxy grin. I hugged him tight and pecked his cheek. “I have to head back before what's his face tears down the place to find me.”
 
“Ha! Right. So, I guess I'll see you soon. Be safe.” Naruto said, shoving his hands in his pocket in embarrassment. I walked over to Kakashi.
 
“It was good to see you again little Kakashi. Maybe one day you'll take your mask off for me.” I smiled.
 
“Nope. I don't think so. But goodbye anyway.” Kakashi said. I went on my tiptoes and pulled down a little bit of his mask just enough to see his cheek and gave a quick peck.
 
“See ya.” I called over my shoulder. I spotted my windy buddy soon enough. “Temari!”
 
“Yea, I already know. C'mon, let's go home.” Temari said, a little disappointed. “We were only here for two days…”
 
“I know! You didn't spend enough time with a certain lazy guy!” I agreed, taunting her.
 
“Yea- I mean shut up!” Temari hissed.
 
“You know it's true.”