Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still not mine.
The chapter you've all been waiting for, Iruka and Harry finally meet!
I read that Iruka was 26 when Naruto was 12 so that's what I'm going with, making him 28 now.
 
Chapter 5
 
 
Iruka straightened as Tsunade and Kakashi walked towards him.
 
“He's all yours sensei. He's still recovering so take it easy.”
 
“Of course.” Iruka looked at the door nervously and Tsunade smirked.
 
“Get in there!” She gave him what for her was a gentle push towards the still open door and he staggered. Iruka straightened and then stepped inside, his eyes immediately going to the bed.
 
The first thing Iruka saw were intense green eyes staring straight at him. They held eye contact for a few minutes before he forced himself to look away and study the teen. His hair was darker than Iruka's own and a lot shorter and messier. He briefly noticed a scar half hidden by the unruly locks but didn't pay much attention to it. What worried him was how thin the boy, his cousin, was. He wasn't pale but only lightly tanned, like he'd been indoors a lot until recently. He finally looked back at his cousin to see the teen was study him so he stood still and let him look as much as he wanted. Green eyes finally moved back to his face and Iruka smiled. A hesitant smile answered him and he slowly moved further into the room, taking the chair Kakashi had been keeping watch in.
 
“Hello.” The teen greeted warily.
 
“Hello Harry.” Iruka returned the greeting and they fell silent, neither sure what to say next.
 
$Do you mind? You two are being annoying.$ Iruka jumped, kunai in hand and was left staring at the large snake curled up on the windowsill. He swallowed hard at the sight.
 
“She won't bite, well unless you attack me or her, then it's in defence.” Harry said nervously. Iruka looked between his cousin and the snake warily before sitting again and putting the kunai away.
 
“She's yours?”
 
“She is now. Her name is Vespillo.” Iruka nodded and they fell silent again after Harry shot a glare at Ves for scaring Iruka. They sat in silence for nearly ten minutes before Harry spoke again.
“So…Kakashi said you're a teacher. Do you enjoy it?” He felt like hitting himself for the lameness of what he'd just said but at least it was a start, right?
 
“It's very rewarding but very exhausting. Teaching children to be ninjas is hard work.”
 
“I'll bet. Um…so what now?” Harry shifted nervously on the bed.
 
“We get to know each other, isn't that why you came here?”
 
“Yeah.” Harry smiled again but this time it was warmer and far less wary.
 
“Well, I'm twenty eight and a chuunin. I teach at the Academy and work at the missions desk. My parents were killed fourteen years ago during the Kyuubi attack. They were Kiyoshi and Sachi Umino. They were both Jounin. I was an only child because mother couldn't have any more children but we were happy. I had an aunt, my father's sister but she left Konoha a long time ago.”
 
“Aiko.” Harry said softly and Iruka nodded.
“Umino Aiko married Jonathon Evans and they had two daughters, Petunia and Lily. Lily married James Potter and they had a son, Harry, before being murdered fifteen months later.” Harry looked away, feeling the pain in his chest. No matter that he barely remembered them it still hurt. He tensed as a hand grasped his shoulder but relaxed slowly as it simply remained there, offering comfort. He slowly looked up at his cousin and managed a shaky smile. Iruka smiled and squeezed his shoulder, understanding his pain.
 
Iruka left his hand on Harry's shoulder, feeling the boy begin to lean into his touch. He had felt the way Harry had tensed when he had touched him, the same way Naruto used to tense and it worried him. Then Harry's top slipped down and Iruka's eyes went wide as he got a look at the teens back. Harry frowned and then followed his eyes before pulling away and yanking the top further up, covering the scars. His eyes were wide and he was almost falling off the bed. Moving quickly Iruka wrapped his arms around him, pulling him safely back onto the bed fully. Harry went completely stiff in his arms before beginning to struggle but he was still weak from being unconscious so long and the effects of Vespillo's venom, plus Iruka was a fully trained ninja. Iruka just held him, feeling tears of frustration soak into his uniform. He'd seen that type of scaring before, on a ninja who had been brutally whipped as part of a torture session to gain information. But the scars on Harry's back were old, meaning that someone had whipped a child. It was then that his mind was made up, he would take Harry in and give him the type of family he had had before his parents had died. He didn't care anymore if the teen wasn't really his cousin, he needed help and he would give it, simple as that. He held Harry until he stopped fighting and the tears stopped. He pulled back to see the teen was asleep and smiled. He made sure Harry was comfortable on the bed before standing and looking at the snake that had been watching him closely the entire time.
 
“Better get used to me Vespillo if you plan to stay with Harry because I am not letting him go.” He wasn't very surprised to see the snake bob its head as if it understood.
“I'll be back soon.” Iruka slipped out of the room, ignoring the guards by the door even as they looked at him, obviously they had been aware of what had been happening in the room but as far as he was concerned it was none of their business.
 
-----------------------------------
“Excuse me Hokage-sama.” Tsunade looked up from Kakashi's report to see Iruka in her doorway and motioned for him to come in.
 
“That was quick.” She commented.
 
“He's asleep. How long until he can be discharged from the hospital and what will happen to him then?” Iruka asked, hoping that Harry was to be allowed to stay.
 
“He was surprisingly very understanding of the restrictions I've placed on him and will be allowed to stay. We just need to find a place for him.”
 
“That won't be necessary, he will stay with me.” She looked at him in surprise.
 
“Oh?”
 
“Both you and Kakashi believe his claims to being my cousin and after meeting him I agree. He needs a place to live and I have a spare room. He…I need to do this.”
 
“Very well. Since that has been sorted out you can take him home today if you want. Kakashi can sneak Vespillo over later.” Iruka smiled.
 
“Thank you.” He bowed and left for home to fix the spare room up for Harry before returning to the hospital.
 
---------------------------------
Harry blinked up at the ceiling hazily, still mostly asleep.
 
$Awake again Harry?$ He sat up and stared at Ves in confusion.
$You fell asleep on the other human.$ Harry blushed and looked around but other than Ves and himself the room was empty.
$He left after you fell asleep but said he'd be back soon.$ Harry nodded and relaxed back into the pillows. He doubted he'd be back, not after seeing the scars and having Harry lash out at him. Harry groaned and banged his head against the pillows, so much for a fresh start with family.
 
“There a reason for trying to kill the pillow?” An amused voice asked and Harry sat up quickly to face the door. Iruka was standing there, smiling at him. Harry simply sat and stared at him, not knowing how to react. In the few minutes they had known each other Iruka had shown him more honest concern than everyone but Mrs. Weasley and Sirius.
“Ready to get out of here?” Iruka asked as he walked over to the cupboard, frowning as he found the torn but obviously recently cleaned uniform.
“A uniform?”
 
“Kakashi's idea. Apparently it's easier to sneak out if you look like you belong.”
 
“We'll need to get you some clothes then. Good thing I thought to bring some of mine. They'll be a bit big but better than this thing.” He tossed a bag onto the bed and Harry opened it to reveal a pair of comfortable looking pants and shirt.
“Do you have any belongings?”
 
“No, they took everything I had before putting me in the cell.”
 
“Well, we'll see what we can do about getting you a few things other than clothes.” Iruka said, mentally going over how much money he had spare. Without treating Naruto to ramen so often he had more money than he would have if Naruto were still in Konoha. He smiled as he noticed the lost look on Harry's face and sat on the edge of the bed.
“Hokage-sama said you can be discharged now so we'll be going home.” Harry stared at him blankly.
 
“Home?” The teen asked quietly.
 
“Home Harry, with me.” Iruka reached out and wrapped an arm around the too thin shoulders.
 
“Why? You don't know me.” Harry moved restlessly, part of him wanting to pull away but another part wanting to curl into Iruka and never move and those mixed emotions confused him.
 
“Not yet I don't, that will take time. In the meantime you need a home and I have the room. Since I don't take mission I can help you adapt to life here easier than a more active shinobi. And more than that you're family, the only family I have. I want to get to know you Harry and for you to know me.” He tightened his grip a bit, making it more of a one armed hug and smiled as he felt the teen beginning to relax into him.
“So are you ready to go?” He asked again and Harry slowly nodded.
“I'll wait outside while you get dressed. Kakashi will come by later to sneak Vespillo out and to the house.”
 
“Okay.” Harry waited until Iruka had closed the door before stripping off the hospital issue pyjamas and changing into the too big clothes. Luckily he had plenty of practice with Dudley's cast offs and so he was able make them work.
 
$You look ridiculous.$ Ves hissed in amusement.
 
$Thanks. You heard all that?$
 
$I will alloy him to carry me to you.$ She hissed and Harry leant on the sill, running his fingers over her black scales.
 
$I'll see you later then. What do you need for food?$
 
$Nothing yet, I ate well on the trip.$ Something about that made Harry shiver but he didn't ask.
 
$Okay, see you later then.$ Harry moved over to the door and opened it to see Iruka standing with two men in white masks and black robes. He froze in fear, eyes wide and bolted back into the room. The two masked men looked at each other and then at Iruka.
 
“Maybe if you could make yourselves a little less obvious?” The teacher suggested before going after his cousin. He couldn't see him but Vespillo was staring at the ensuite door so he walked over and knocked.
“Harry? Are you alright? Can you open the door please?” Iruka asked on finding that it was locked. There was no answer so Iruka concentrated and reappeared inside the bathroom to find Harry having a panic attack. He picked the teen up and forced the door open, walking over to the bed he sat down and held Harry tightly as the teen stared blankly ahead while hyperventilating. Iruka pulled Harry closer as the door opened but relaxed as Tsunade rushed in.
 
“What happened?”
 
“He saw the Anbu and panicked. I found him locked in the bathroom like this.” Iruka explained as Tsunade ran diagnostic jutsu's over the teen.
 
“Harry? Look at me Harry.” Tsunade coaxed and very slowly green eyes focused on her.
“That's it, it's okay. You're safe.”
 
“Death Eater's! They've found me.” Harry began trying to get away but Iruka tightened his grip and Kakashi moved so that Harry could see him as well.
 
“Harry there are no Death Eaters here.” He smiled at the teen but was worried, where was the confident young man that had saved his life? In his place was a scared teenager.
 
“Saw them. They'll kill you all just to get to me.” Iruka frowned at the response, the only other people Harry had seen…
 
“Harry they were Anbu members, not Death Eaters. Anbu wear masks to conceal their identity.” Harry turned to look up at Iruka, disbelief in his eyes. Iruka smiled down at his cousin, the boy trembling in his arms but at least his breathing was calming.
“I promise, they won't hurt you. They are the Hokage's bodyguard and elite ninja's but they are not Death Eaters.” Not that Iruka knew what a Death Eater was. He looked at Tsunade and Kakashi but they were as lost as he was. E
 
“Get one of them in here.” Tsunade ordered and Harry went as stiff as a board. Kakashi went to the door and soon returned with one of the guards. Harry went wild as soon as he saw the cloak and mask, fighting Iruka's hold with everything he had. Iruka tightened his grip and whispered soothing words to the distraught teen.
“Remove your hood.” The Anbu obeyed, eyes hidden by his mask flicking from the hysterical teen to his hokage.
“Harry, look at me.” She commanded and the teen automatically looked at Tsunade even as he struggled against his cousins' grip.
“That's it. Now look closely at him, does he look exactly like a Death Eater or is there only a resemblance?” She asked calmly, motioning the confused Anbu closer to the bed and more fully into the teen's line of sight. Harry stared with wide eyes at the man. They all relaxed a little as Harry began to calm and then he slowly raised a shaking hand to the man's mask, tracing it.
 
“It's an animal?” Harry asked softly and the Anbu nodded. Harry relaxed back into Iruka's arms without thinking about it.
“Not a Death Eater.” Harry said quietly.
 
“What is the difference in their appearance Harry?” Tsunade asked.
 
“The mask. Death Eater's are just plain white. Sorry.” He muttered, curling up.
 
“I think I better get him home Hokage-sama.” Iruka said, easily standing even with Harry's added weight.
 
“Good idea.” She flashed through some hand seals and the teen went limp in sleep.
“He'll be out for at least six hours. Be careful, it looks like the everything's catching up to him so he might be a little emotional for a while.” Iruka nodded and left the hospital, cradling Harry gently in his arms.
 
TBC…
If anyone is wondering about Harry's reactions toward the end, he is still healing and he still hasn't dealt with everything that has happened from Sirius' death up to running with Kakashi and so now that emotions are catching up with him.