Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them though it's nice to dream.
Thanks to Mercy Rose for the type of animal Harry is.
 
Chapter 17
 
Remus smiled as he studied the medium sized feline in front of him. It was a bit of a surprise considering the forms of the people Harry had been exposed to, he was honestly expecting some form of canine, maybe a wolf. He inspected him closely but couldn't figure out what type of cat he was. He was maybe two feet long, including his tail and was black with reddish spots on his underneath. He was slim with fairly long legs and long, tufted black ears. There were even some spots above his eyes though they weren't easy to see since they all but blended in with the rest of his fur. A zigzag of white fur was the only sign of the famous scar.
 
“Mreow?” He laughed at the confused look on the felines face.
 
“Sorry cub but you've got to admit this is typical for you.” That earned him a low snarl of annoyance.
 
“Remus have you…” Tonks trailed off and stared blankly at the cat sitting at the werewolf's side.
“Um…Remus?”
 
“Three, two, one.” He counted down and then there was a soft pop. Harry blinked dazedly up at the metamorph.
 
“Hey Tonks.” The teen grinned and she laughed.
 
“You're so cute! I've got to tell Kingsley.” With that she turned and ran back to the cottage.
 
“Soooo, any idea what I am? Cause frankly other than some sort of feline I'm lost.”
 
“You're not the only one. Looks like we'll have to hit the books to find your form.”
 
“Brilliant. Why can't I just be an obvious type of cat?” He mock whined.
 
“Because you're Harry Potter.” Remus answered, giving him a one armed hug. Harry glared at him before smiling and leaning into the hug.
 
-------------------
Tsunade sighed as she glanced at the calendar. There had been no word from the retrieval team, not that she'd been expecting any but the fact that Hiro's pets had remained calm and happy at Iruka's had her hoping for the best. They only had a few weeks left before they too would be declared MIA and that was not something she wanted to have to do considering who was on the mission. But she couldn't afford to send anyone after them, if they had failed even with Hiro's help then another team would have no chance of succeeding and she would not needlessly waste more manpower.
 
----------------
Iruka smiled gently as Kakashi's eye slowly fluttered open, being careful not to make any sudden movements. He cautiously removed the now warm cloth from his forehead and replaced it with a fresh, cool one, humming all the time since it seemed to help calm him. He froze though as the single dark eye slowly began to focus on him.
 
“Kakashi can you hear me?” He whispered, hardly daring to hope. He kept smiling as Kakashi seemed to register his presence but it faded as his lover began to try to move away from him.
“Shh, Kashi it's me, Iruka. It's okay, you're safe now.” He soothed, reaching out to gently run his hand through the silver mop. Kakashi cringed back from his touch.
 
“No…not.”
 
“Kakashi look at me.” Iruka very gently grasped his chin, keeping eye contact. Kakashi froze, his eye reflecting a level of panic that all but broke Iruka's heart.
“You're safe now. They can't hurt you anymore. Hiro and Gai's team got you out. We're in the cottage of one of Hiro's friends and we're going home, to Konoha, very soon.” Iruka explained softly even though all he wanted to do was crush Kakashi to him and never let go. This was the most coherent he had been since his rescue. Kakashi shook his head, fighting against his loose hold and Iruka let him go, not wanting to panic him further.
 
“No real…stop…please.” Iruka fought back tears as Kakashi pleaded brokenly, tears slipping from his uncovered eye. What had they done to him to make him doubt what he was seeing?
 
“Kakashi I am real and I'm right here. I love you and I will never leave you.” He ran gentle fingers down Kakashi's masked face. They'd replaced the mask once he was on the mend so that he would feel more comfortable and the others had agreed to be obliviated so that they would not remember what he looked like under it, only Hiro still remembered other than Iruka. Kakashi lay utterly still, frozen with fear.
 
“Everything okay Iruka?” Hiro called as he walked into the bedroom only to stare in surprise as Kakashi's eye slowly moved to him.
“Hey Kakashi, you awake?” he asked as he moved to join Iruka sitting on the edge of the bed.
“What's going on?”
 
“He…he doesn't believe I'm real. He's scared of me.” Iruka answered softly and it didn't take a genius to hear the pain in his voice. Hiro squeezed his hand in sympathy before turning his attention to the man in the bed.
 
“Hey Kakashi, do you know who I am?” Kakashi looked at him and then shut his eye tightly as if that would make them go away.
“Come on Kakashi, I need you to answer.
 
“Not real, not real, not real.” Kakashi began muttering, keeping his eye tightly shut and Hiro sighed. He gave Iruka a small, sad smile and then stood. He made eye contact and Iruka nearly jumped as the teens voice echoed through his mind.
 
`Don't give up; just keep telling him you're here for him. Hold him while he sleeps and keep up the humming.' With that his cousin left the bedroom.
 
------------------------
“That's it, you're doing well Harry.” Remus encouraged as fur slowly spread over the teens arm before receding fully, leaving Harry panting on the floor.
“Harder than it looks huh?” Harry shot him an annoyed glare before staggering upright and over to a chair. He accepted the pepper up potion Remus tossed him and downed it easily.
“You're getting it though, and a lot faster than the Marauders did. Keep it up and you should be ready for the full transformation in another two months or so.”
 
“At least we finally figured out what I am.” He was a Caracal, a medium sized cat native to Africa and western Asia. He'd had fun finding everything he could on them. His cat form wasn't fully-grown yet, he had another foot to look forward to and the spots on his underneath would eventually fade too. Though the fact that he was black was uncommon even if not unheard of. They were also very territorial and very good climbers and jumpers, able to snatch birds out of the air.
 
“You're leaving soon.” Remus said suddenly and Harry nodded, avoiding his gaze.
“Will you be back?”
 
“Someone has to kick Tommy's arse and I'm that someone. I'm not ready yet Moony, I'd never get to him let alone lost against him.”
 
“You're better than you think Harry but you do need more time. I…I think living where ever you've been has really been good for you, you've come a long way from the boy I met in third year.” Harry smiled at him in thanks.
“You know when the time comes, all you have to do is call.”
“I know.”
 
---------------------------
Harry carefully added the next ingredient and stirred the mixture gently. He was doing okay so far and Kingsley at least didn't breath down his neck the entire time unlike a certain potions master. Who'd have guessed that outside of Snape's classroom he actually wasn't that bad at potions? Kingsley wasn't bad at potions, at least the ones Aurors needed to know how to brew so things were going pretty well. Mostly he was learning healing porions and basic truth serums, nothing anywhere as powerful as Veritaserum of course, but there was the odd poison thrown in too.
 
With the accelerated training the two ex-aurors were putting him through his spell repertoire had grown considerably. Added to that was the physical training he did with the shinobi and he was the fittest he'd ever been, a lot fitter than any wizard he'd ever met. The wizarding world had grown complacent, relying too much on their magic to do everything than their own minds and bodies. So while he still wasn't up to Kingsley's level of spell casting he was able to beat the older man because he couldn't hit him and Harry was able to get in and take him out physically. He was even starting to re-think his refusal of shinobi training but at the moment he had too much on his plate, maybe once Kakashi was doing better and they were back in Konoha.
 
------------------------
He lay utterly still, fighting the urge to tremble, within the restraining arms. He wanted to cry but wouldn't let the tears fall; only his Ruka was allowed to hold him like this. He wanted Ruka so badly it hurt but he knew he'd never see him again, not the real him at least, the images and spells they used weren't the same. He'd tried so hard to keep them from seeing him in his mind but he had failed, he had failed his love. There were only two things he was sure they hadn't learnt from him, Konoha's location and Hiro's presence there, he would not cause his Ruka any more pain by leading the boys' enemies to their gates. He just wanted to go home so badly, to lie one last time in Ruka's arms and to know he was loved despite the fact that he was a killer. He couldn't quite bite back a helpless sob and the arms around him tightened slightly, their owner pulling him closer to bury their face in his hair. He stiffened as he felt warm air on the back of his neck and then the soft sound of humming, the tune one he held close to his heart. Had he given even that up to them?
 
Hesitantly he cracked open his eye and peered down at the arms wrapped around his waist. Tanned, familiar skin met his gaze and another sob made its way out. Why couldn't they let him be? Just stop the torture and let him have a little sleep without making him see Ruka. But something was niggling at him, something telling him things had changed, if even only a little. He licked his lips to moisten them only to find his mask there and he suddenly realised his sharingan eye was covered. Had they finally realised that leaving it uncovered was killing him? And what had happened to his cell? He let his half open eye wander only to see what appeared to be a plain bedroom though obviously one that was well lived in. And he was lying on a bed, an actual bed and not the hard concrete of his cell floor. So obviously they had thought up some new and even crueler way to torture him. He didn't know what they wanted from him anymore. All of Hiro's warnings and training had been for nothing; they had ripped through his mind like a child through wrapping paper to get at the present beneath. And it had hurt, more than anything. When Hiro had entered his mind it had felt odd yes but there had been no pain.
 
He let his eyelid drop so that his eye looked closed as the door across from the bed opened slowly and a figure with a tray entered the room. He almost screamed as he saw Hiroshi stop and smile sadly at the bed before putting the covered tray down and slipping from the room. No, no, no! He couldn't have! He didn't care now if his captors knew he was awake as he began fitting the arms. He had failed; they knew about Hiro, he had failed his Ruka. He felt his captor wake and then roll them so that he was trapped beneath the heavier man. He felt the other restraining him but there was something weird, something different.
 
“Kakashi it's okay. Shhh love, you're safe.” The voice was warm and tender and oh so familiar but it couldn't be. He kept his eye tightly shut as he continued his futile struggle.
“Kashi please look at me. I'm right here and I'm not leaving you. What did they do to you?” Warm, gentle hands released his wrists to stroke his face.
“Hiroshi's here too, so is Sakura and Gai with his team. You should have seen Hiro yelling at Tsunade-sama for giving you that mission. I seriously though I'd be throwing myself between them to keep blood from being drawn. He was going to come after you alone but she finally agreed to send us as backup. Well, Sakura and I weren't allowed to go on the actual rescue, I think Hokage-sama was worried about what we'd do but we got to come this far. Hiro got them though love, he killed the ones that did this to you. He brought the whole building down on them all for you. You were in such bad shape when they brought you in, I thought I'd lost you but you're stronger than that. You should be proud of Hiroshi, Gai's taken over his training and he's survived so far. We're going home in a few days and you're coming home with me once they've checked you over at the hospital, I don't care what anyone says.” Kakashi found himself slowly relaxing as the man continued to babble just like his Ruka, even down to the sound of suppressed sobs in his voice.
“Please Kashi, come back to me.” That sob wasn't suppressed and he flinched slightly as he felt what felt like tears falling onto the exposed skin of his face. Ever so slowly he opened his eye to find himself staring up at what looked and sounded like his Ruka, he even acted like him. That action earnt him a shaky but seemingly genuine smile and a gentle hand through his hair, which come to think of it felt a lot cleaner than it had been in a long time. He stared up at seemingly warm brown eyes, his heart torn and his body trembling with adrenaline, fear and hope.
“Hey there.”
 
“Ruka…” He questioned fearfully, watching as the man's smile widened. A tearful nod answered him even as gentle hands kept up their petting.
 
“I'm here love. You're going to be fine; Sakura's really become a good medicnin. She and Hiro patched you up really well. I've missed you so much Kashi, I thought I'd lost you.”
 
“Hiro here?” He was positive he hadn't given the teen up so would that mean this was real?
 
“Do you want me to call him in?” Iruka asked gently and Kakashi managed a jerky nod.
“Okay, I'll be back in a second. Just relax, I swear you're safe Kakashi.” Iruka kissed his forehead lovingly and then got off the bed and moved over to the door, opening it far enough to stick his head out and call for someone. Kakashi watched him carefully, trying to stay distant; to not believe it was real because it would only hurt more when it proved false.
 
Iruka stuck his head out the door and called for his cousin, not wanting to leave Kakashi alone while he was at least coherent enough to be questioning things and semi-calm. Once he heard Hiro call back that he was coming he walked back over to the bed and sat beside Kakashi again, gently holding a hand in his own and entwining their fingers, automatically beginning to hum. A few seconds later the door opened and Hiro walked in, looking like something the cat had dragged in and earning him a snicker from his older cousin.
 
“Laugh it up, you try getting thrown around by Lee. So what's wrong?” The green-eyed teen asked, giving Kakashi a warm smile seeing he was awake.
 
“Hiro?” Kakashi called hesitantly and the teens' smile went up several notches.
 
“Welcome back Kakashi.” Hiro sat on the edge of the bed and slowly reached out to clasp his free hand. Kakashi looked between the cousins. Could this really be real?
“Iruka why don't you go grab a shower, I think I can tell him some stuff to prove this is real but it's to do with where and how we met which well…”
 
“Is classified. Are you sure?” Hiro nodded and Iruka sighed. He bent to brush his lips across Kakashi's masked ones softly.
“I'll be back in a little bit. You'll probably like it better if I don't stink.” Iruka gave him a smile and then left the room. Hiro shifted on the bed to get more comfortable and Kakashi had to fight not to flinch away violently.
 
“I can guess a lot of what they did to you so I'm not surprised you're having trouble believing all this is real and that we'll be back in Konoha in a few days. I've been through some of it myself but nowhere near the level you have. But this is real Kakashi, I swear it. You had Iruka call me in and I'm assuming that is because something about my presence can help you prove to yourself wether or not this is real. So what do you want me to do?” Kakashi studied him closely, everything about the teen said this was really Hiroshi in front of him. He struggled to get his arms underneath him for leverage but his body wouldn't co-operate and he almost growled in frustration until hands grabbed his shoulders, steadying him and then raising him up.
“Do you want to sit up?” Kakashi nodded.
“Okay, guess we should have warned you how weak you'll be feeling for a while yet. Sorry about that.” He seemed genuinely sorry too. Hiro pulled him so that he rested with his chin on the teens shoulder and then did something behind him before moving him backwards. Kakashi relaxed a little as he realised Hiro had been piling pillows up for him to lean against.
“Better?” He nodded again.
“Need anything else? I brought a tray in a while ago, there's some soup that you could probably keep down and it'll help you start regaining your strength.” Hiro went and collected the tray; glad he had put a heating charm on it to keep it warm when he'd see them both asleep. He pulled the cover off and put some soup on the spoon but Kakashi turned his head away. Hiro sighed and then swallowed the soup himself, making sure Kakashi was watching him the whole time.
“No poison or drugs of any kind, just some of Remus' wonderful homemade vegetable soup.” Kakashi slowly nodded and raised a shaking hand to his mask, gradually pulling it down.
 
“Remus?” He asked as he hesitantly sipped the soup off the spoon. Warm but not too hot and it slid easily down his throat. He had to concentrate as his stomach rebelled but was happy that he didn't throw up. When was the last time he had actually eaten anything?
 
“My godfather, well honorary one in any case. One of my father's best friends. His cottage is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and he's loyal to me so we've been using the place as our base of operations. He's been really good about being invaded by a bunch of half crazy ninja.” Hiro smiled as he refilled the spoon.
“Guess who Tsunade put in charge of your rescue mission?”
 
“Gai.” He managed, remembering the words the Iruka in the room earlier had been saying.
 
“Nope, me. And I'm not even a ninja! I swear when she said where you were last heard from I came so close to hexing her. I was going to come alone if I had to. There is no way I'd leave you to the Death Eaters. We got each other out of that cell in Sound, I couldn't leave you to my enemies.” That made Kakashi pause in his slow eating. The cell in Sound? He knew about that?
 
“Ves, who?” He frowned, why was talking so hard?
 
“A rather large snake sent to kill us. I pushed you out of the way and was bitten instead. I only survived because of the mix of Basilisk venom and Phoenix tears in my blood from when I was twelve. Her full name is Vespillo, which translates to grave digger. She's my second familiar now and she gave a fang for my new wand.”
 
“Your name.”
 
“I was born Harry James Potter but Iruka named my Umino Hiroshi, for his grandfather, my great-grandfather. Everyone calls me Hiro except for Morino Ibiki who decided to call me Roshi. You suggested giving me a baby name book so I could pick my new name since Harry would stand out too much in Konoha.” He put the soup aside and took Kakashi's hand, gripping it but not tight enough to hurt.
“We're here Kakashi, this isn't an illusion or people using polyjuice to trick you.”
 
“Want to believe….” He trailed off looking away from understanding green eyes.
 
“But you can't.” Hiro finished for him, smiling gently.
“It's okay, we'll keep reminding you we're real until you can. No one is going to desert you.” Hiro stood and stretched.
“Iruka should be done, I'll tell him to come back in. He's really missed you. I swear if Tsunade hadn't agreed to let him come he would have followed us anyway, no matter the consequences. We've had to knock him out and force-feed him quite a few times since rescuing you. He really loves you Kakashi and that's a rare thing to have. I envy you that.” Hiro finished quietly before leaving the room.
 
-------------------
“Good morning Kakashi-sensei, Iruka-sensei.” Kakashi stiffened at the sound of a voice but gentle hands held him still, rubbing his back softly.
 
“It's okay, it's just Sakura.” Iruka's voice told him softly.
 
“It's good to see you awake sensei.” Kakashi watched the girl warily as she approached the bed.
“I just need to give you a check over okay? Iruka-sensei can stay right beside you the whole time but we have to be sure you're okay for the trip home. Hiro's idea of quick transport is a little rough.” The pink haired teen tried to reassure him. He found himself actually moving into the other mans embrace because at least so far he hadn't done anything to hurt him. It wasn't until her hands began to glow green with the familiar healing chakra and he actually felt it inside that he suddenly relaxed fully. That was one thing they couldn't fake and he suddenly found himself turning in Iruka's arms and crying into his chest.
 
“I think you should finish later Sakura-chan.” She nodded and quickly left.
“Kashi, what is it? What's wrong?” Iruka tried to soothe him, his hands rubbing his back and stroking through his hair.
 
“Real… you're all real.” He heard being sobbed out into his shirt and it suddenly hit him, Sakura's chakra use. So they were all officially idiots for not thinking of that before.
 
“It's okay Kashi, I've got you.” He soothed, holding him close.
 
----------------------------
“Guess this is goodbye cub.”
 
“No, it's see you later.” Harry answered, throwing his arms around the werewolf.
“I wish I could write but it's too risky.” Remus returned his hug, holding the teen tightly. He'd already said goodbye to the others and the shinobi were waiting out of sight to give them their privacy.
 
“Iruka is a good man Harry, you couldn't have asked for better when you went looking for family. Look after yourself and him. He'll need your help with Kakashi.”
 
“I know. If one full moon you're not alone….” Remus smiled and nodded.
 
“We still need to name him after all. I love you Harry.” Remus finally let go.
 
“Love you too.” Harry waved and then turned to join the others.
 
“You ready Hiro?” Iruka asked softly, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. The teen nodded, forcing himself not to look back. Kakashi was asleep and being carried by Gai since he was physically the strongest of the group.
 
“Lets go home. Godaime.” The portkey activated and they found themselves in the same place they had left from. Gai took off for Konoha immediately with Sakura and Lee while the rest of his team stayed with Hiro and Iruka as escorts for safety. Hiroshi couldn't help but smile as the gates came into sight and then laughed, as he was affectionately dive bombed by a white blur. It was good to be home.
 
TBC…
What should Harry's name be? Once fully-grown he will be a three foot long black cat. Suggestions please.