Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
So as you've all guessed by now the winning vote was for Kakashi to remain human. As for how he'll recover and how sane he will be…you'll have to wait and see.
 
Chapter 16
 
 
Sakura sighed as she mopped Kakashi's forehead, holding him still with her free hand even as her ex-sensei tried to move weakly. She hated seeing him like this. For as long as she'd known him he'd always been strong, their teams protector. Sure he collapsed occasionally due to using the sharingan too much but never anything like this. She tried to hush him gently, talking softly as she continued to treat the low-grade fever that just wouldn't break. It had taken Hiro, Gai-sensei and Remus to drag Iruka-sensei from the room for some desperately needed food and sleep as well as a shower. Though Remus hadn't been much help, the poor man was still recovering from the full moon. Despite everything Hiro had told them and the things she'd seen since coming here she still had difficulties understanding exactly what Remus went through ever month.
 
She removed the cloth and picked up a newly soaked one, wringing it out before placing it on Kakashi's face. She felt a flare of anger towards Tsunade for sending Kakashi on this mission in the first place, why hadn't she spoken to Hiro first? Kakashi-sensei could have been spared so much pain if she had. Iruka-sensei and Hiroshi were also in pain because of her decision. Sakura was not dumb; she'd seen the signs. If Kakashi-sensei never recovered it would devastate the chuunin.
 
She blinked as she found herself looking into a dark and a red eye though they remained unfocused. She moved the cloth and he groaned before whimpering.
 
“Shh. It's okay Kakashi-sensei. You're safe now.” He stared at her blankly before beginning to struggle. She shot a grateful look at Lee as the other teen held Kakashi down gently, she hadn't even noticed him come into the room.
 
“Any improvement?” He whispered and she shook her head. He smiled for her and struck a pose.
“Gai-sensei's eternal rival will recover Sakura-chan. You have to believe that!”
 
“I know Lee, thank you. Is Iruka-sensei okay?”
 
“Hiro-kun knocked him out.” Sakura giggled slightly, picking up the now wet cloth she had used earlier and putting the other one back in to soak.
 
------------------------
“Remus!” Harry peered out from behind the curtains and smiled as he saw Tonks and Shacklebolt headed towards the cabin. It was Tonks who had yelled out of course, her one time superior berating her lack of stealth. Remus moved outside to greet them and then lead them inside.
 
“So what's the…” Shacklebolt trailed of and tensed.
 
“Hello Kingsley.” Harry said as he stepped forward.
 
“Potter?” The ex-auror questioned suspiciously.
 
“Harry!” The teen nearly went over backwards as Sirius' niece slammed into him.
 
“Nice to see you too Tonks. Mind letting me up?” She blushed and scrambled off him.
 
“Sorry Harry. Where have you been?” She looked him over and grinned.
“Where ever it is you're looking good.” She winked and he blushed.
 
“Thanks, I think. Mad-Eye with you?”
 
“No one's seen him in weeks Potter.” Kingsley answered, stepping forward to shake hands with the teen.
“Good to see you've been looking after yourself.”
 
“You too. I guess you want to know why you're here. Lets talk in here.” They followed Harry through to the kitchen, leaving the shinobi in the front room.
 
-------------------------------
Iruka gave his cousin a weary smile as the teen collapsed into the armchair beside Kakashi's bed. He'd been pushing himself to the limit and beyond ever since his old friends had shown up, training his body and magic as much as humanly possible. The teen managed to give him a shaky smile in return before turning his gaze to the bed.
 
“How is he?”
 
“No different. The fever still hasn't broken and he's in and out of consciousness but never aware of his surroundings.” Iruka admitted, letting his head drop into his hands. He nearly jumped as Hiro wrapped him up in a hug but then relaxed into his cousin's comforting embrace.
 
“He's strong and I know he will fight to come back to you. You can't give up hope Iruka.” The chuunin nodded and Hiroshi smiled again before perching on the bed and resting his hand against Kakashi's forehead, his own creased in concentration. His magic gave off a visible glow for a few seconds around his hand before fading. Hiro slumped and Iruka caught him, letting the teen rest against him.
“His mind…it's too chaotic…I'm sorry.” Hiro panted and Iruka held him tightly. Iruka nodded even though his cousin couldn't see it and held the teen until he slipped into an uneasy sleep. Iruka carried Hiro out of the room and put him in his sleeping bag before going back to his vigil at his lovers' side. Iruka moved onto the bed as Kakashi began to thrash again, holding him gently but firmly and quietly humming their song. He smiled as once again it had a calming affect on the other nin, tensed muscles slowly relaxing and his movements stilling.
 
“Ungh.”
 
“Shh Kashi, I've got you. Just sleep love.” Iruka kissed his hair gently, running his hands up and down his arms soothingly.
 
“Wan…Ruk…” Iruka made himself stay relaxed at the slurred words; the first Kakashi had spoken since that one time almost two weeks ago.
 
“I'm here Kakashi, Iruka's here. I've got you.” He swallowed hard around tears, not knowing if his words had gotten through or not as Kakashi went limp in sleep. He held him tightly, humming and rocking them slightly until he eventually joined Kakashi in sleep.
 
-----------------------------
Poppy stiffened before trying to scream but the hand across her mouth muffled the sound effectively and she lived alone anyways. She began struggling wildly against her attacker only to still at the feel of a wand being pressed to her throat.
 
“I'm going to let you go now, don't scream please.” With that she was released to spin around and confront her attacker only to stare in shock at the teen in front of her. Could it be?
 
“Mr. Potter?” She asked and he smiled.
 
“Sorry for the scare Madam Pomphrey.”
 
“Just don't do it again. What can I do for you? I doubt you risked seeking me out to catch up.” The matron said as she finally brought her heart rate back under control.
 
“I need your help.” She moved to scan him and he waved her off.
“Not for me but a friend. He spent a few weeks under the `care' of a base of Death Eaters, vampires and werewolves. Physically he's healing but I'd like a professional opinion and I can't exactly wonder into St. Mungo's unless I want to be arrested.”
 
“Of course. And for what it's worth I believe you are innocent. I've treated you enough over the years to know you had no reason to love your relatives but I'd like to think I've gotten to know you enough to know what you will and won't do. I'll go get my equipment.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
--------------------------
“Really Remus, you need to take better care of yourself!” The shinobi paused at the sound of an unfamiliar, stern female voice.
 
“Yes Madam Pomphrey.” They heard the werewolf answer in amusement.
 
“And you might want to see about a leash for your godson so he can't continually wander off. Between the two of you…” She heaved a semi-dramatic sigh and Hiro's laughter could be heard.
 
“Oh come on, we weren't that bad.”
 
“If you weren't in my ward for some Quidditch injury or your yearly battle with Voldemort it was Remus or another of his group in for a prank gone wrong or the full moon. Marauders, first or second generation are more trouble then they're worth.” They could hear the affection and teasing in the stern voice so they weren't too worried but all were curious as to why another new person had been allowed into the cabin.
 
“And…?”
 
“As for your friend his physical injuries are healing nicely, good work. As for his mind…he could really do with the care of a professional mind healer. As that is impossible I will do what I can. Mr. Potter if you would assist me, I'll be needing to link our magic for the procedure.”
 
“Anything you need.” Looking to the others Iruka pushed the door open and they trooped inside, muddy and bruised from the group sparring session. The stern looking woman standing with Hiro and Remus looked at them and raised an eyebrow.
 
“More patients Mr. Potter?” She asked in amusement and Hiro laughed.
 
“No, friends. Everyone this is Madam Poppy Pomphrey, my school Healer. She's here to help.”
 
“Is one of you particularly close to the patient? It would be best if he had an anchor present during the spell.” Iruka stepped forward and gave her an awkward smile.
 
“That'd be me.”
 
“Very well. Then we should begin preparations.” She turned and swept into the sickroom, Hiro and Iruka trailing her. Remus smiled at the others.
 
“Madam Pomphrey can be trusted. A Healer's oath cannot be broken; she would have to heal Voldemort himself if he came to her injured. She wouldn't want to but she'd do it. She's been healing Potter's for a while now so she's used to the weirdness that tends to happen around them.” Remus chuckled slightly at some of his memories of the scrapes James and then Harry had gotten into over the years.
 
--------------------
Iruka reclined on the bed, Kakashi resting against his chest, watching as Hiro followed the Healer's instructions, a look of utter concentration on the teens' face as he nodded occasionally. He tightened his grip slightly on the unconscious man as the two stopped talking and approached the bed. Hiro gave him a comforting smile as Madam Pomphrey turned to address him finally.
 
“You must understand I am not a mind healer although the basics are included in all Healer training. The spell we are attempting may do nothing or it could heal him completely. There are no guarantees with this type of magic except that we can't make it worse. Your role in this is to act as an anchor for his mind. You must focus solely on him, memories and emotions of your time together. You will also need to hold him down if he tries to struggle. Harry will be providing extra power for the spell. Do you understand?” Iruka nodded and she gripped her wand tightly.
“Then let us begin.” Hiro moved to stand behind the bed head while she stood at the foot. Both magic users raised their wands although Hiro simply channelled his magic through his while Poppy began moving through complicated wand movements, speaking in Latin as she worked. Iruka shivered slightly at the feel of power building in the room and stiffened slightly as it suddenly rushed towards them, fighting the urge to get them both off the bed and out of the room.
 
---------------------
Remus jumped up and grabbed Poppy as she swayed tiredly. She gave him a small, grateful smile as he helped her over to a chair. Hiro was next out of the bedroom, looking grey and drawn as he staggered and then his eyes rolled up and his legs buckled. Neji caught him easily and once again carried him over to his sleeping bag, very aware that all the magic users were staring at the teen.
 
“Merlin…” Tonks breathed in awe.
 
“Might as well be.” Kingsley said in awe and amusement.
 
“What?” Neji snapped in irritation.
 
“No wonder Voldemort wants him either on his side or dead. I've never felt such power.” The man answered quietly.
 
“But they were working together.” Sakura said, confused.
 
“My magic was but a drop in that ocean of power child. Almost all of that was Harry.” She accepted a Pepper Up potion from Remus before moving to check on Harry.
“He's drained his magic far too low.” She commented in fond concern before pouring several potions down his throat.
“He'll be fine if a little tired when he wakes. Remus if you would be kind enough to help me home?” He nodded and the two left.
 
---------------------------------
Hiro grunted as he slammed into a tree but pushed back to his feet and went on the attack. Lee avoided him and counter attacked once again sending him flying. It had been three days since Poppy had left and Kakashi had yet to show any signs of waking. The restless teens had been sent outside to train and spar to keep them occupied and out from under foot. But none of them found themselves able to fully concentrate on their fighting. Neji and Tenten were sparring on the other side of the clearing while Sakura was absorbed in a medical scroll underneath a nearby tree although out of the way of the two pairs of fighters. Lee went to attack again only to stop as Hiro tilted his head to the side as if listening to something before breaking into a run towards the cabin. The others exchanged confused glances before following him.
 
Hiro burst into the bedroom to see Iruka, Remus and Kingsley trying to hold Kakashi down as he fought and thrashed, trying to get free. Slipping between them he sat on Kakashi's chest and grabbed his chin, forcing a wild eye to meet his. Kakashi's sharingan had been covered to conserve his already low chakra reserves. As their eyes met Hiro shoved his way into Kakashi's mind and winced as he found the same house he had once entered to learn Japanese. The once pristine house was a disaster. Although he could see where repairs had been made and were continuing, giving him hope. He flew through the house, heading for where he thought Kakashi would be. Entering the child's room he saw a silver haired child curled up on the bed, all but hidden by the blankets and shivering uncontrollably. A pang of pain went through him at the sight but he shoved it aside and walked over to the bed where he lifted the bundle into his lap and hugged the child close, singing softly under his breath.
 
“Iruka hum.” He said, knowing Iruka would hear him. Sure enough Iruka's soft humming was soon heard in the room and ever so slowly the shivering stopped. He continued to hold and rock the child until he felt the lights dim as Kakashi slipped into an exhausted sleep. Once that happened he pulled out of his mind.
“Well that went well.” He grinned at the unamused looks sent his way.
“Want the good news?”
 
“Good news?” Iruka asked hopefully.
 
“Poppy's spell did some good and it looks like Kakashi's mind is doing some repairs itself. It's still an utter mess in there though.”
 
“But he's getting better?” Iruka couldn't hide the hope in his eyes or voice and Hiro smiled.
 
“Gradually. There's no guarantee that he'll ever be fully healed though. We just have to wait and see. The mind is one of the most complicated and resilient things though so don't give up hope.
 
---------------------------
Harry looked form the goblet to his godfather and back again before tightening his grip on it and taking a deep breath.
 
“Bottoms up.” He tipped his head back and downed the foul concoction in one go before gagging and trying not to be sick. He gasped and collapsed as bones began to shift and reshape, his skin feeling like it was melting. The sensation seemed to last an eternity before it stopped and he shakily looked towards the mirror Moony had placed there solely for this purpose. He stared in shock at his reflection, not believing it was him but knowing instinctively that it was. So this was his inner beast.
 
TBC…
Okay so what should he be? Magical or muggle animal? What one?
The rather embarrassing spelling mistake has now been fixed. So far people seem to think some type of feline for Harry, panther, neko or some sort of magical cat.