Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own them, wish I did.
 
Chapter 15
 
Iruka paced the room nervously. He could feel Sakura and Remus watching him but he didn't care. His cousin was risking his life to save his lover and there was nothing he could do but wait. He hated being the one always left behind to wait but as a chuunin academy teacher that was all he could do. He didn't take many missions and only during the academy holidays and they were always fairly low ranked since replacing academy teachers was hard, very few people were suicidal enough to want to deal with classrooms of mini-ninja. He'd done several A-ranked missions before becoming a teacher and sometimes he wished he'd stuck with them instead. Maybe after this he would increase his training and resign from the Academy, maybe.
 
The room being used an infirmary was as ready as it was going to get, stocked with healing potions and supplies brought from Konoha. Which left the three of them with nothing to do but wait for the team to return, hopefully with Kakashi.
 
He bolted outside as he heard Tenten yelling for help only to freeze as he saw Kakashi's limp form in Gai's arms. He could have sworn his heart actually stopped beating for a second before he moved to help them get the jounin inside and into Remus' room since it was the largest bedroom. After that all he could do was step back and watch as Sakura and Remus worked, occasionally handing them the things they needed. Taking a second to look around he felt a flash of panic.
 
“Where's Hiro?” He demanded, glaring as Gai and Neji exchanged a look.
“Well?” He snapped.
 
“He stayed behind to do something. He said he'd be right behind us.” Neji explained.
 
“We need more water!” Sakura snapped out and Neji left the room. Iruka followed a second later as he heard a muffled noise. He relaxed as he saw Neji lifting Hiro into his arms and carrying him over to his sleeping bag. Stepping forward he opened the bag and held it while Neji made Hiro comfortable.
 
“He's exhausted, stay with him.” Neji told him and then went to get the water Sakura wanted. Iruka knelt beside his cousin, checking him over for any injuries and was relieved to find none. He wanted to go back into the infirmary but he knew he would only be in the way and someone should stay with Hiro just in case.
 
------------------------------
“How is he?” Gai asked seriously.
 
“Lucky to be alive.” Was Remus' tired answer, healing magic really wasn't his thing, Harry had more talent in the area than he did but according to Neji the teen was out cold. The werewolf collapsed into a worn armchair and gladly accepted the cup of tea Tenten handed him.
“Frankly I don't know how he survived long enough to be rescued with those injuries. His rib cage was all but pulverised, the bones in his legs shattered not to mention the massive internal injuries. He also has wounds that match vampire fangs and werewolf claws. We'll have to wait and see wether or not he was infected but so far it looks good. He was tortured extensively and exposed to several nasty dark curses, including the two non-lethal Unforgivables. As for his mental state, we'll have to wait for him to regain consciousness before we'll know anything. But frankly…I don't like the odds of him still being sane.” Remus finished sadly. The ninja stared at him in horror.
 
“Poor Kakashi-sensei, with those injuries he'll never be able to work as a ninja again.” Tenten whispered. That made Remus smile slightly.
 
“His legs are already forty-five percent healed, his ribs will take longer but are on the mend. The internal injuries are also healing well.” He told them, earning looks of shock.
 
“How?” Neji demanded.
 
“Magic. I removed the bones from his legs completely and they are currently regrowing. It's a painful procedure as Harry could tell you but at least Kakashi is still unconscious. I'd do the same for his ribs but it's too risky. Thanks to Sakura's abilities he's no longer in danger of dieing from internal bleeding but he will be very sore for a while.”
 
“But he'll live?” Iruka finally spoke from where he was sitting beside the still sleeping Hiro.
 
“Yes.” This time Sakura answered, smiling softly at her old teacher. She wasn't blind, she knew there was more than friendship between her two teachers but she also knew better than to say anything.
“Someone needs to stay with him at all times in case he wakes or there are complications. We should stay here until after the full moon, just to be safe as well.” The group nodded in agreement, knowing Hiro wouldn't argue if he was awake and Tsunade had put him in charge.
 
“I've given as many pain relief and sleeping potions I can risk safely so he won't wake for a while, maybe tomorrow afternoon.” Remus added.
 
“Let Ruka watch him.” Everyone jumped at the slurred voice and then looked down at the occupied sleeping bag. Bleary green eyes stared back before Harry pushed himself up into a sitting position, letting Iruka help him. Sakura ducked into the kitchen and returned with a large glass of water, which Harry downed gratefully.
“Thanks. What did I miss?”
 
“What did you do? Do you have any idea how far you drained your magical core?” Remus growled.
 
“Tommy-boy's down a rather large base, doubt anyone got out before it collapsed on them.” Harry answered, earning a lot of disbelieving looks. Remus started laughing.
 
“You love shocking people by doing the impossible don't you?” The last remaining Marauder grinned.
 
“Got to maintain the reputation Moony. How is Kakashi?” Harry listened carefully as Remus listed his injuries again as well as what they'd done to heal him. He closed his eyes in pain, hands clenched into trembling fists. He opened his eyes again as Iruka's hand covered his. The older man gave him a shaky smile.
 
“We got him out Hiroshi. He will be okay, we have to believe that.” The teen swallowed and nodded, leaning his head on his cousin's shoulder. He hated this, hated feeling so helpless. Sure, he'd taken out the fortress but only because he had been so far beyond mad that his rage had fuelled his magic beyond what he was normally capable of. And that would not help Kakashi or stop Voldemort. Vacation time was over, he'd been taking it too easy while in Konoha but now he needed to train. Voldemort wouldn't stop until he ruled the world…or someone stopped him.
 
“Where's Moody?” Remus blinked at the sudden subject change and then shrugged.
 
“No one's sure. When Dumbledore refused to step in after Fudge put the bounty on you Moody, Tonks and Shacklebolt left the Order and vanished. I only stayed to keep an eye on things, gather information. Why?”
 
“Think you can get word to them?” Harry asked, sitting up straight.
 
“Harry?” Remus eyed him warily.
 
“It's time we stopped playing around. Get them here. We have a few weeks for them and you to get me up to Auror standard at least.”
 
“No, no way cub.” Remus stood in agitation. The ninja watched on, Iruka the only one with any idea of what might be going on and even then he knew Hiro hadn't told him everything.
 
“What other choice is there Remus? Riddle won't stop until someone stops him and I'm the only one who can.” Harry said coldly, staring into Remus' amber eyes.
 
“He's always been afraid of Dumbledore and the Order.” Harry cut him off, his voice barely above a whisper.
 
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not… And either must die at the hands of the other for neither can live while the other survives…The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies…”
Remus went white and collapsed back, Gai catching him before he could fall to the floor although the werewolf didn't seem to notice, horrified eyes locked on emerald ones.
 
“No, please no, not you.” He whispered in agony. Harry pushed himself to his feet and moved to kneel in front of the last Marauder.
 
“It's always been me Moony. The day he killed my parents he set this in motion. There's nothing anyone can do to stop it. Either I kill him or he kills me, there is no choice.” Remus moved, pulling Harry into his arms and holding him close.
 
“Would someone mind explaining what you are talking about?” Neji asked, one eyebrow arched.
 
“Nothing much, just the fate of the world.” Harry answered flippantly. Remus closed his eyes in pain, sending a mental apology to his friends for not being able to protect Harry from what was to come.
 
“I'll send word and start brewing the animagus potion, better to have someone who knows what they're doing supervising. How long can you stay?”
 
“Tsunade gave us two months.”
 
“Then we better get to work.”
 
“Moony…”
 
“Marauders forever cub. You'll need a new name you know.” Remus gave him a shaky smile and then stepped away from Gai's support.
 
“I leave that to your wisdom Mister Moony. Gai-sensei, would you be willing to continue my training while here?”
 
“Of course! I did promise my eternal rival I would train you in his absence”
 
“Thanks.” Harry went off in thought for a bit. Tenten was a weapon specialist and it would be good for the psychological impact if nothing else…
“Anyone care to help me break into one of the most secure places in the magical world?”
 
“Harry?” Remus looked at him, he had a bad feeling he knew where the teen was talking about.
 
“The Headmaster has something of mine and I need it back.” The teen shrugged.
 
“And that would be?” The werewolf prompted making Harry grin.
 
“The Sword of Gryffindor.”
 
“WHAT! That sword was lost centuries ago.”
 
“Actually it was in the sorting hat. Guess I no one ever told you exactly how I killed the basilisk in second year.”
 
“A basilisk? You killed…how?”
 
“Shoved the sword up through its mouth and into the brain after Fawkes gouged its eyes out. Took a fang through the arm while doing it though, if Fawkes hadn't been there…”
 
“You would have died, phoenix tears are the only cure to basilisk venom.” Remus finished quietly, the others listening intently since in reality they knew very little about the teen before he moved to Konoha and what they did know was mostly a lie.
“So…Gryffindor's sword, you do realise that if you're seen wielding that…”
 
“They'll be saying I'm his heir instead of Slytherin's like in Second year. Yeah, I know. But Dumbledore said it took a true Gryffindor to pull it from the hat, not an heir.” Harry explained.
 
“So this sword belonged to someone important?” Tenten asked, curious.
 
“Only one of the most famous and powerful wizards to live in the last several thousand years.” Remus told her.
“It is said that the sword itself holds some powers though no one knows what.”
 
“Well it didn't show any while I was fighting the giant snake. So does anyone want to come with?”
 
“Harry you'll never get passed the wards undetected.”
 
“Unless I use the one entrance Dumbledore can't ward.” Remus gulped slightly.
 
“The Chamber.”
 
“Only a Parselmouth can use it and last time I checked Riddle and I are the only ones around. Getting in is the easy part, it's getting into the headmasters office that'll be hard but I think I have a way.”
 
--------------------------------
Iruka stared down at his sleeping lover, carefully running his fingers through the silver hair, hoping Kakashi was somehow aware he was there. The bruises on his face were fading and his legs were now seventy percent healed and the rest of his injuries were healing thanks to magic and chakra. It was good to see he was healing physically, especially since normally wounds of that magnitude would have had him living out his life as a civilian. But what scared Iruka was the fact that Kakashi may not be all there mentally when he woke, which would be soon. He didn't know what he would do if what they had done had broken his lover, he would never leave the older man but for Kakashi to return to Konoha like that…Iruka was not powerful enough to protect him from the assassins that others would send.
 
A low groan of pain coming from the bed startled him from his thoughts and he shifted so that he would be in Kakashi's line of site, hoping that seeing him would help the other man.
 
“It's okay Kakashi, you're safe now. We got you out of there, they can't hurt you anymore.” He soothed as Kakashi tried to move only to groan again in pain.
“Don't move love, you were badly hurt. Can you open your eyes?” Other than some feeble movement and more groaning Kakashi didn't respond. Iruka continued to stroke his hair, hoping to soothe him and then flared his chakra to get the others attention. A second later Sakura ran through the door, Remus hot on her heels although he wasn't looking to well with how close the full moon was.
 
“Iruka-sensei?”
 
“I think he's waking up.” He explained and the two moved to the bed to check his vitals.
 
“Kakashi-sensei can you hear me? Do you know who I am?” Sakura called softly while Remus ran a scan with his wand. Remus and Iruka moved quickly to hold him down as Kakashi began to thrash about, only causing himself more pain.
“Sensei please, you'll hurt yourself. It's okay you're safe now. It's me, Sakura, your student.” The pink haired teen tried to calm him but it wasn't working. They all started a bit when Kakashi's eyes opened.
 
“Kakashi, can you understand me?” Iruka asked softly. His heart plummeted when he saw no recognition in the glazed eyes. All three winced when the man began screaming, trying to fight against them. Remus summoned a potion and quickly poured it down his throat, Kakashi going limp instantly even as the others appeared in the doorway, weapons drawn. All it took was a look at the rooms' occupants to realise what had happened.
 
“This doesn't mean anything. It could simply take his mind a while to realise he's safe, if that's the case then he should be mostly okay.” Remus pointed out.
 
-----------------------------
Neji followed Hiro through the forest. If he hadn't been in the Forest of Death than this place would be a lot scarier. He had only volunteered for this for the chance to observe the older teen more and to learn more about his strange abilities and secrets. As much as the man often annoyed him he knew his sensei would protect the others and Iruka-sensei while not as powerful as a jounin was certainly no slouch so he felt safe leaving his teammates back at their `base'. He had been the obvious choice to accompany Hiro on this mission after all. Gai and Lee were not the best at stealth infiltration, they were not looking to engage in a fight so a weapons mistress was unnecessary, Sakura was needed to care for Kakashi and sending family together was always a bad idea so that ruled out Iruka-sensei. Plus being able to see through walls would be useful from what Hiro had told him while they had been gearing up.
 
Neji watched as Hiro paused, looking around obviously to make sure they were in the right spot.
 
“What I'm about to do you can not tell anyone about, Tsunade classified it an S-ranked secret, got it?” Neji nodded and then jerked slightly in surprise as Hiro hissed at a nearby stone. He watched in surprise as the ground shifted, forming a tunnel which Hiro jogged down. Having no other option Neji followed.
 
----------------------------
Iruka lay next to Kakashi, his arms wrapped gently around him as he slept. Despite Remus' optimistic words Iruka was finding himself giving into despair. What if the wizard was wrong and his Kakashi was gone, lost in his own mind forever? He shivered slightly moving closer and holding him as best he could while taking his injuries into account.
 
“Ung…won't….” Iruka sat up instantly at the pained sound. Had Kakashi actually spoken?
 
“Kakashi can you hear me? It' okay, I've got you love.” Iruka whispered, kissing his forehead gently.
 
“No….ple…” Kakashi coughed harshly and then whimpered as his ribs protested violently. Iruka reached over for the cup and gently lifted Kakashi's head from the bed, placing the cup at his lips.
 
“Drink this for me Kakashi, its just water to help your throat.” He tipped the cup slightly but Kakashi kept his mouth shut. Not knowing what to do Iruka began to hum softly. He couldn't sing to save his life but he could at least carry a tune while humming. He hoped that it would break through somehow, that Kakashi would know it was him since he was the only person who knew what the song meant to them. It was the song that had been playing on the radio their first anniversary, the song they had left playing when they had gone to his bedroom and made love for the first time. He continued humming softly, one hand supporting Kakashi's head, the other holding the cup to his lips. He smiled as Kakashi relaxed a little and his lips parted a small amount. Tipping the cup carefully he let a few drops slip in. Kakashi swallowed automatically and Iruka continued to help him drink that way until most of the water was gone. He lowered Kakashi back onto the pillows, softly stroking his face. He smiled as Kakashi's eyelids flickered and then opened slightly.
“It's okay love, I'm here.” Kakashi stared dazedly at him for a few seconds before his eyes slid shut again and he slipped into sleep.
 
------------------------------
Neji scanned the corridors around them before signalling it was clear. Hiro nodded and then took the lead, heading confidently through the deserted hallways. It was obvious that Hiro knew this place very well, enough to be confident that they wouldn't trip any alarms. Neji was just glad to be out of those tunnels, they made his skin crawl, not that he'd admit it. After nearly half an hour of using the more out of the way corridors and secret tunnels they finally reached a dead end with an interesting statue.
 
“Here goes nothing.” Hiro uttered before speaking softly in a language Neji didn't recognise, it wasn't what Remus spoke. Hiro grinned as the statue moved aside, revealing a revolving staircase. Neji checked above them and found an empty office. He nodded and they moved onto the staircase. Hiro pulled his wand and scanned the door before opening it and entering the office. Neji noticed the pained look on the older boys face as he looked around before Hiro closed his eyes and took a deep breath. His eyes snapped open and he began a visual search for their target.
“There.” Sure enough an elegant sword was resting on the wall above the desk. Hiro moved further into the room and suddenly the portraits noticed them.
 
“Well, well, well, look who's back.” One taunted.
 
“Shut up.” Hiro growled.
 
“You're not welcome here boy.”
 
“That's nice, I'm just here for what is mine.” Hiro moved behind the desk and reached up to grasp the sword. The portraits began yelling at him but he ignored them as he puled the sword down. Hiro took one last look around the office before turning his attention to Neji.
“Lets get out of here.” Neji nodded, he could see the pain in Hiro's eyes as they fled the castle but he stayed silent, it wasn't his place to say anything.
 
-------------------------
Iruka smiled when he saw Hiro curled up in the armchair. His trip must have been successful though it was surprising he hadn't woken when the teen came in, then again he was used to his cousins presence now. He stretched and then turned to study Kakashi, he seemed to be sleeping easier now which was good, he needed the sleep to heal.
 
“How is he?” Iruka almost jumped at Hiro's whisper and the teen sent him a small smile.
 
“A bit better I think. He talked a little in his sleep and I managed to get him to drink some water. He even woke up for a few seconds but I don't know how aware he was.” Hiro nodded, stretching as he stood.
“I take it your trip was successful.”
 
“Yep.” Hiro moved over to the bed and rested his hand lightly on Kakashi's forehead, reaching out with his magic.
“Full moon's tonight. Moony's going to stay in the forest but we'll have to move Kakashi to the secure room just in case.”
 
“If…if he changes what will it do to his healing?” Iruka asked softly. Hiro looked down and Iruka nodded, understanding what his cousin couldn't say.
“The Council will go ballistic if he…”
 
“What about you?” Iruka looked at him.
“How are you dealing with this?” Hiro put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“I love him, no matter what I will stay with him.” Iruka stated fiercely making Hiro smile.
 
“He's lucky to have you. Most people wouldn't stay with a lover who's been attacked by a werewolf.” Hiro said quietly.
 
“It doesn't matter to me, he's still Kakashi either way.” Iruka answered and Hiro hugged him before moving away.
 
“I'm going to go keep Moony company for a while.”
 
--------------------------------
Iruka gripped Hiro's hand tightly as they stood outside the large cage Kakashi was laying in, watching as the light of the full moon moved ever closer to him. They were the only ones in the room, Iruka not wanting any of the others to see if… he was trembling and he knew it but he couldn't stop. Remus had explained the transformation to him and it was violent, something Kakashi's body may be too weak to deal with. He honestly didn't care if Kakashi was a werewolf as long as he survived. They both held their breath as the moonlight hit Kakashi and they waited in dead silence for several minutes before Hiro relaxed and pulled Iruka into a hug.
 
“He didn't change Iruka.” The teen grinned as he went to the cage door, unlocking it before moving inside and levitating Kakashi out and back to the bedroom. Iruka went to follow but found it hard as his legs buckled. Kakashi was still human; he wouldn't have to deal with being a werewolf. He looked up as someone caught him and found himself grinning up at Gai.
 
“He didn't change.” Iruka whispered before his world went black.
 
TBC…