Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Running Home ❯ Chapter 25

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
Some reviewers have been asking when the HarryNeji is going to start, despite the fact that many chapters back I put the nite in saying it was no longer the pairing for this story. So I'm saying it again.
 
Chapter 25
 
Naruto joined the other Rookies for lunch, grinning as they all welcomed him back but he knew they were still waiting for something or someone. He realised who when Hiroshi slipped into the restraint and was greeted as enthusiastically as Naruto himself had been.
 
“Good to have you both back!” Kiba called and Hiro nodded while Naruto grinned.
 
“Where were you Hiro? I swear the whole village, heck the whole of Fire Country knows you've been gone from the way Iruka-sensei was yelling.” Choji pointed out and Hiro shrugged.
 
“Had to head back home for a bit but I'm back for good now.” Was his answer, only Team 9 and Sakura understanding the true meaning though the others realised they weren't being told everything.
 
Good. Both of you being gone has been troublesome.” Shikamaru stated and Hiro smiled at him.
 
“Yay you missed me!” Naruto crowed and they all laughed and then began to eat as their food. They stayed and chatted for a while longer before the group finally broke up.
 
“Hey Naruto, want to come see Kakashi?” Hiro called and Naruto jumped up to walk with him.
“Glad to be home?”
 
“Yeah, I really missed Konoha and my friends. Do you miss your friends from wherever you lived before?” Naruto asked and Hiro shrugged.
 
“Most of them are dead now and I can keep in contact with the others so not too much. And I have friends and family here now.” Hiro explained and Naruto nodded.
 
“Do you know what happened to Kakashi-sensei?” Naruto asked and Hiro sighed.
 
“Yeah. He's a lot better now than he was before I left. I won't tell you what happened; it's not my place to say. I know he'll be glad to see you.” Hiro told him gently. Hiro simply opened the front door to Iruka's house and Naruto followed him, not sure what he'd find.
“Kakashi! Brought a visitor!” Hiro called and Kakashi appeared in the hallway. Naruto grinned at his sensei who gave him a smile in return.
 
“Yo.” Kakashi greeted and Naruto moved forward to hug his surprised sensei.
 
“Kakashi-sensei! It's great to see you!” Naruto greeted his old sensei happily and Hiro slipped from the house, happy to let them spend time together. He had other friends to reconnect with.
 
----------------------------
“You wanted to see me Hokage-sama?” She looked up and smiled at the young man standing in front of her.
 
“Thank you for coming Hiroshi. I have a proposition for you.” She told the youngest Umino, motioning for him to sit.
 
“I'm listening.” Was the wary answer, she knew her actions had lost her much of the teens respect but she was hoping he would still say yes.
 
“Team 7 is missing two things, a sensei and a third member. The Council is becoming rather....forceful in their demands now that Naruto has returned. If I don't find a third member for the team soon they'll place someone themselves. You know Sakura, have worked with her before and while you have only just met Naruto the two of you seem to get along alright. I am formally asking you to take the place of the third member of Team 7.” Tsunade explained and watched emerald eyes narrow in thought. She felt like holding her breath as she waited, Hiro was her last chance before letting the Council have their way and she knew what would happen. Danzo would get his way and the third member would be from ROOT.
 
“I...Who will be sensei?” Hiro asked and she was relieved that he seemed to be showing some interest.
 
“I have several candidates lined up, all of them good ninja and several are ex-ANBU like Kakashi, some even served with him or under him.” She hadn't chosen yet because she wanted to know who would be in Team 7 before she picked a leader. She needed someone who would accept both Hiro and Naruto without questions or else someone more loyal to her than the Council if they got their way.
 
“There's one major flaw, I'm not one of your shinobi.”
 
“That's easily fixed.” She placed the cloth and metal band on the desk and saw Hiro's eyes widen slightly.
“You've already got an S-ranked mission under your belt as well.”
“You've really thought about this, haven't you?” Hiro grumbled and then sighed.
“I lived my whole life being controlled, why should I simply switch who is giving the orders?” He asked and Tsunade hid a wince, he had a point. Hiroshi's experiences with people in her sort of position had not been pleasant and she had shown she would do what she believed best by sending Kakashi on that mission. She would have to give him some sort of concession, but what? Free travel would be useless since she needed him on Team 7...she needed him on Team 7 but to not fully be part of the system. Yes he used the Umino name and lived in Konoha but he'd never actually been made a citizen, something she'd overlooked before. She smiled.
 
“As you aren't actually a citizen or one of my shinobi you could take the place as an ally. You would still need to obey the team leader of course but it would give you more freedom than the average shinobi. Plus allow your true origins to be kept secret unless you wish to tell someone.” She suggested and Hiro thought it over.
 
“Agreed.” He finally said and she handed him the headband.
 
“You'll be informed of when the team is to meet once everything's finalised.” She told him and he nodded, rising and then pausing.
 
“Maybe...maybe it would be good to have Kakashi involved in training the team? Give him something to do with people he knows and trust...it could help.” Hiro suggested and Tsunade grinned, nodding her agreement.
 
“Don't tell him though, I will later.” Hiro nodded and left.
 
----------------------------------
When Hiro walked in the door he smiled, hearing Iruka chiding Naruto and Kakashi laughing. He took his shoes of and headed towards the kitchen, content to watch the three for the moment though he knew Kakashi at least was aware of his presence. He finally moved into the room and greeted its occupants, heading towards the fridge to start dinner.
 
“Are you staying for dinner Naruto?” He asked and waited as the blonde looked to Iruka for permission which the chuunin happily gave. It wasn't long before the four were sitting down to a well cooked meal.
 
“What did Hokage-sama need to see you for Hiro?” Iruka asked and the wizard shrugged, hiding a grin.
 
“This and that.” He answered and Iruka's gaze sharpened.
 
“Hiro...” His tone made Hiro sigh and then pull something from his pocket. All eyes locked onto the leaf emblazoned on the metal plate in shock.
“What?”
 
“Tsunade and I made a deal. I'm not officially a shinobi of Konoha, after all technically I'm not even a citizen, I just live here. So I'm being listed as an ally and I'll be working with a team.” Hiro explained.
 
“Is this what you want?” Kakashi asked and Hiro shrugged.
 
“She made a good argument and I could see her point. And let's face it, fighting is about the only thing I know how to do anymore.” The last part was almost a whisper and Iruka's hands clenched into fists at the thought of how much his cousin had given up for others.
“It'll be fine. I already know the team and we get along.”
 
“Which team?” Naruto asked and Hiro grinned.
 
“That is a secret for now.” Was the mischievous answer and Naruto mock pouted making them laugh.
 
TBC...
Okay so who should be Team 7's new sensei? Who is it in canon? Starting to think maybe HarryNaruto. But there's only a possibility of any pairing for Harry at the moment.