Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Silence ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Yeah, yeah. I know, no more new multi-chapter stories. Sadly, I already had this one all written out, and I HATE wasting good stories. I KNOW you Sas/Sak fans are gonna love this! But, this story, along with many other Naruto fanfics, will have a minimum of 10 chapters. I apologize, but I'm doing this since I know I will never be able to go to 20, with the way my life is busy and barely updating. But I WILL finish ALL of my stories, except the Sonic ones that are up for adoption. Well, enjoy!
 
Disclaimer: I only own Naomi; everyone else belongs to the awesome Masashi Kishimoto!
 
Chapter 1
 
The air was thick, the road covered by a fox as far as the eye could see. The ground was moist from last night's light shower, the grass slippery and wet.
 
Two figures strolled through the fog, one pace slow and steady, the other quick and clumsy. One of the figures was much shorter, the head at the others waist. This figure was the clumsy one, the taller at a steady pace. They came across a fork in the road, two signs in view. They went left, the smaller figure skipping in a circle around the taller one. The taller eventually made the shorter stop, other figures coming into view.
 
They were in a small town, a few children scurrying around with their bare feet covered in mud. Adults went on their business, having no intention in remaining outside.
 
The two figures went inside a small pub, sitting in a table isolated from the others. A waitress took her time to get to them, trying to smile at the strangers.
 
“Hello, welcome to-“
 
“Glass of water for me. And give her a cup of milk. That is all.” Twitching her brow in annoyance, she stomped her feet over to the counter, careless snatching a glass and child safe cup. Others inside the pub turned to see what caused her to act that way, spotting a young man and a little girl.
 
He appeared to be 18, his face cold and stoic. Raven hair covered his eyes, sticking out from the back. He wore a long, black cloak over his shoulders, hiding his body from view.
 
The girl seemed to be 10, her face filled with wonder and curiosity. Thick violet hair danced around her ankles, her dark blue eyes sparkling with fascination. She wore a simple navy blue yukata, wooden sandals dangling from her mud covered feet.
 
They shrugged it off, passing them as brother and sister; it was nothing new to see.
 
The waitress plopped the drinks on the table, not caring if they spilled. She turned around with a humph, distracting herself with wiping the empty tables.
 
The young girl smiled with glee, gulping down the milk placed before her. She grinned up at the teen sitting across from her, watching him take small sips.
 
A few minutes passed, the teen standing while placing some yen on the table, motioning for the girl to follow. They left silently, paying no mind to the villagers.
 
Once out of the village, the girl continued her skipping, the fog having lifted. As they got further down, the girl stopped her skipping, walking backwards to look up at the teen, her hands held above her head.
 
“Are we camping tonight? It's very wet.”
 
“There's another village up ahead. We'll make it a while before dusk.” Nodding her head and smiling, she dashed ahead of him flailing her arms about, hopping sometimes.
 
After two hours passed, he signaled her to stop, walking towards a river. She wandered around the area, spotting a decent boulder and leaping with joy. She climbed on top of the boulder, her hand reaching inside her yukata, a pocket sewn inside. She took out a skillfully carved wooden flute, the instrument being brought to her lips.
 
The boy was refilling a couple canteens, looking behind to see the girl perched on a boulder, her eyes closed as she blew into the melodious instrument. He watched her fingers gently float over the piece, comforting music dominating the silence.
 
Looking at the position of the sun and shadows, he capped the canteens, walking over to tap the girl. She opened her eyes, carefully placing the flute back inside her yukata. She soon resumed her prancing about, the two on their way to the village up ahead.
 
 
--------------
 
 
The halls were crowded, people shouting orders as they pushed a bed into the emergency room. They quickly moved the body, attaching cables to keep track of the heartbeat. One figure pointed to the others, her voice stern and calm. She told those younger than her what supplies to gather, those her age and above staying put to stop the bleeding.
 
Hours passed, three people waiting outside the room. One boy leaned against the wall, a girl in a chair staring at her fingers, and a woman pacing and chewing on her lower lip.
 
The boy's eyes were covered by black glasses, his face hidden by his beige high collared coat. His brown hair was kept up by his headband, a leaf on the plate.
 
The girl's pale eyes held tears, her long dark blue hair drooping over her shoulders. Despite the thickness of her gray coat, her curves were clearly seen.
 
The woman's red eyes occasionally strayed to the door, her finger twirling her brown hair. Her outfit was made up of bandages, a red sleeve covering her right arm.
 
A big white dog with brown ears whimper, his head resting on the girl's thigh.
 
The door was finally opened, the figure in charge looking at the trio. The light shown off her short light pink hair, her light green eyes showing how tired she was. Blood stains were on her uniform and hands, but a smile was planted on her face. The trio returned the smile, the females sighing of relief and the dog wagging his tail.
 
“He's resting right now, but you can go see him.” They quietly thanked her, entering the room to see their teammate. She gave another smile, walking away while wiping her hands free of blood.
 
“Sakura, wait up!” A girl her age dashed the short distance, slowing down to a walking pace. Her baby blue eyes were filled with worry, her long blonde hair a complete mess. Her uniform had less blood stains, her hands clean.
 
“What is it Ino? Did you misplace the files again?” She shook her head, standing in front of Sakura with a stern look.
 
“Sakura, you've been pulling all these late night shifts for two months now!” Look at you, there's bags under your eyes, your hair's a mess, you lost weight for barely eating, and not to mention you smell terrible!” Ino's body froze, a nervous laugh escaping.
 
“I. Am. Just. Fine. Ino.” Sakura stomped away, her hair appearing to float as an aura seemed to surround her body. Ino gulped as she chewed on one of her fingers.
 
“Man, if this continues any longer, Sakura will collapse from exhaustion…what am I gonna do?”
 
“Don't worry; we'll take care of it.” She turned around, three men looking at her.
 
The oldest had silver hair, his face covered by a mask as a single eye peered out. He wore the usual jonin uniform.
 
A boy her age had a wild grin, his cerulean eyes filled with amusement. His blonde hair was a mess, his taste in his orange and black clothing bizarre.
 
The third was completely emotionless, his face blank. His eyes were a dull coal and his slick short hair the same. His skin was as pale as paper, a few kids thinking he's a ghost. His clothing was also black, void of anything else.
 
The blonde chuckled at Ino, his hands held behind his head. He leaned over to her ear after looking around.
 
“We're heading over to see Granny Tsunade.”
 
“Really Naruto? What are you gonna have her do?”
 
“We'll…be suggesting a few options.”
 
“Like what Kakashi?”
 
“Vacation. Even Ugly needs one.”
 
“Sai, will you ever call Sakura by her real name?”
 
“Yeah right! The day he does that is when Tonton sprouts wings and learns how to fly!” They head snorting, turning to see…a pig with wings sprouting for its back. They were about to yell when-
 
“There you are Tonton! Oh, your costume's still on.” A nurse with black hair and eyes ran over, plucking the wings off, which were attached to a clear headband.
 
 
---------------
 
 
Sakura was making her rounds, checking up on all of the patients within her care. A gentle smile came upon her face, a child and wife visiting a ninja she took care of. He was recovering nicely and would be back on duty in no time. She continued on her way, humming softly with the smile still in place. She stopped when she felt a tap on her shoulder.
 
“Excuse me Sakura, but Lady Tsunade wishes to see you.” It was the same nurse from earlier, several years older than Sakura; holding the pig in her arms. Her eyes were dark but bright, her black hair straight and lying on her shoulders. Sakura nodded at her, giving her the clipboard.
 
“Finish up for me Shizune?”
 
“Of course!” Sakura disappeared, cherry blossoms in the air. The pig, Tonton, caught a petal with its mouth, chewing. It stopped when it heard voices approaching.
 
A group of four turned the corner, consisting of a male with long brown hair, a male with his hair in a spiky ponytail, another male who was eating BBQ Pork chips, and a female with her hair in buns.
 
The boy with long hair had pale eyes, his hair in a low ponytail, wearing traditional clothing with the sleeves almost touching the floor. He seemed to be slightly annoyed with the girl teasing him. He seemed to be 19.
 
The girl had fierce hazel eyes, her hair brown. She wore a lilac Chinese top with black capris. She was a tomboy, a playful grin on her face as she nudged the older boy with her elbow. She was about the same age as him.
 
The boy with the dark brown spiky ponytail seemed to be tired and bored, his dark brown eyes scanning the halls. He was dressed in the jonin uniform, muttering troublesome every so often.
 
The last boy had long brown spiky hair. He disregarded the conversation, more interested with his chips. His black eyes would occasionally look around not to bump into anyone or anything. His clothing also seemed to be a family tradition.
 
“Lee will be patched up in a jiffy, just you wait Neji.”
 
“However Tenten, with Sakura's current condition he might-“
 
“Get worse? Yeah, I remember what happened to Chouji a couple months ago.”
 
“I was barfing for weeks Shikamaru…I was miserable! I hope she takes a break soon.”
 
 
--------------
 
 
A blonde woman hunched over a desk, her hazel eyes glaring at a parchment of paper. She wore a green jacket, her long hair in two tails. She held in her hand a bottle of sake, hand twitching to bring it to her mouth. There was a knock on the door, the woman sneering.
 
“YEAH, WHA' DYA WANT!?”
 
“Uhm…Shizune told me you asked for me.”
 
“Oh, Sakura. Come on in.” Sakura entered, closing the door behind her. She held her hand up, stifling a yawn. She had work to do, so she wished Tsunade would hurry up. “Sakura, I've been hearing complaints lately from several friends of yours.” Sakura was about to retort, Tsunade holding up her hand. “It seems you haven't been sleeping lately, or eating either.” Sakura sighed, taking a seat knowing it was lecture time. “Your focus and concentration is wavering, you almost fell asleep during surgeries, your hands are always trembling, you've almost collapsed five time sin the halls, and obviously your charka supply is almost depleted.” Sakura kept her head down, awaiting her orders. “Starting today, you're off duty and-“
 
“But Lady Tsunade! Some of my patients are still in critical condition and Lee-“
 
“Don't worry, I have that covered. Shizune and I will take care of them and your friends Ino and Hinata have volunteered to help as well.”
 
“Are they sure?”
 
“Ha ha ha! Cool your head Sakura. Now go home and take a long deserved nap and eat some food.” Sakura stood up, making hand signs when Tsunade interrupted her. “One more thing. Please, for all our sakes, TAKE A SHOWER.”
 
“Eh heh…don't have to tell me twice.” With that, she disappeared with cherry blossoms, Tsunade glaring at the paper again.
 
 
--------------
 
 
The boy and girl were still walking, the ground dry and hard now. The girl was chasing a butterfly close by, making attempts to catch it with her bare hands. He stared at her antics as he walked, making sure she didn't stray too far.
 
Passersby would glance at the girl, smiling at the sight as she nearly has it within her grasp. If men watched too long, the boy would cough, giving them a glare until they disappeared from view.
 
“Naomi, come here.” The girl skipped in front of him, looking up as she walked backwards. It appeared her hands were behind her back.
 
“Yes big brother?”
 
“Stay near by; there are suspicious men up ahead.”
 
“Okay big brother!” She giggled quietly, a big smile on her face. He raised an eyebrow, slightly tilting forward.
 
“What are you hiding behind your back.” The smile grew wider, bringing her hands into view to show the very same butterfly. It crawled onto her right finger, its wings moving.
 
“Isn't it pretty?” He closed his eyes, a smirk in place. He ruffled her hair as they started walking again. Voices were heard up ahead, gruff and rough, curses muttered. Naomi obeyed and reached for the boy's right hand with her left, grasping tightly. Men came into view, their clothes loose and ragged, scowls on their faces. The closer they were, the tighter Naomi clung. Eventually the butterfly flew away, Naomi now holding with both hands.
 
Looking towards them the men stopped, grinning at the sight of Naomi.
 
“Well, well, well. Looky here boys, a fine lil' lady with her big brother.”
 
“Such a purty lil' girl too.”
 
“Hey lil' girl, ya want some candy? I'll give ya some, heh.”
 
 
--------------
 
 
Naomi was on the boy's back, being carried piggyback style. A lollipop was in her mouth, some stains on her tongue. Her hand wandered down, touching the boy's cheek.
 
“This is really yummy! Do you want the other one?” He shook his head, Naomi continuing to lick the sweet treat. She stopped momentarily, turning her head down the path behind them. Her hand went back to his cheek. “Are the creepy men all right?”
 
“No, they're dead. The world is better off without them.” He kept walking, a few people in view. It was a family, the parents holding hands while a little boy played with a puppy. Naomi's eyes remained on them, pouting when they were gone. Her hand touched his cheek.
 
“Big brother?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“I want a big sister.” He stopped in his tracks, his eyes widened for a brief moment. He turned his head to her, his face emotionless again as he continued walking.
 
“Why is that.”
 
“Cuz you're kinda like my papa, so I want a mama too!” He tripped that time, quickly regaining his composure. “Is there a girl you know who cane be my big sis and mama?” He stopped again, staring at the ground. He didn't move for a while, walking again with no reply. “Big brother?”
 
“Naomi that is enough.”
 
“But…but why?”
 
“I have no home. So there is no one I know who could be…your `sister' or `mother'.”
 
“But you say that girl's name when you sleep all the time!” He stopped, sliding Naomi off his back and turned around, grasping her shoulders.
 
“Her name.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“What is the name I say.”
 
“Oh! Tee hee hee! It's really pretty! It's-“
 
 
A/N: Oooh, I'm so evil! But I bet you know EXACTLY who the boy is and the girl too. XD So, you guys notice anything…strange yet? Hehe…